Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study I'm a little embarrassed to ask this question,..

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

HeIsRisen2018

Dramione love 3333
but I can't seem to find the answer on my own and I also realize that asking questions is how you learn. So, this is absolutely disgusting but in 2 Kings 18:27 it talks about some men being doomed to eat their own feces and drink their own urine but I'm having a really rather difficult finding and understanding the reason why. :oops2

have you read the full chapter ? a good commentary or study bible would help you a lot in understanding. it is no different thank asking of others in the forum... i get back from church and i will take a look at it, it appears to be a type warning.. fixing head out others may reply in the mean time here is a link you can read on https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/acc.html find a author scroll down to 2kings 18 read it

but I can't seem to find the answer on my own and I also realize that asking questions is how you learn. So, this is absolutely disgusting but in 2 Kings 18:27 it talks about some men being doomed to eat their own feces and drink their own urine but I'm having a really rather difficult finding and understanding the reason why. :oops2

Without going and reading the scripture in context, the first thing that came to my mind was the story of the prodigal son who was content to eat the slop with the pigs. It could be an indication of desperation in a time of famine and drought, so they eat their own feces and drink their own urine.

Not that it has anything to do with the scriptures, but do you recall the story of the Donner party? In desperation they turned to cannibalism just to survive.

I don't want to disgust you, but what do you think happens to that water you flush after peeing in the toilet? It get reclaimed and purified. Cheers!:coffee

Without going and reading the scripture in context, the first thing that came to my mind was the story of the prodigal son who was content to eat the slop with the pigs. It could be an indication of desperation in a time of famine and drought, so they eat their own feces and drink their own urine.

Not that it has anything to do with the scriptures, but do you recall the story of the Donner party? In desperation they turned to cannibalism just to survive.

I don't want to disgust you, but what do you think happens to that water you flush after peeing in the toilet? It get reclaimed and purified. Cheers!:coffee

No, I never heard that story before, but having your urine being reclaimed and purified is a lot different than drinking it right after you urinate. :erm I'm sorry, it's still a really hard concept for me to grasp, but I see what you're saying about the famine (I had to look up what that meant) and drought.

People don't want to do that. The Assyrian commander was telling the Jews that horrible things would happen to them if they didn't surrender to him. He was trying to scare the Jews.

Oh okay, I got it now because obviously I don't want to do that either and I'm very disgusted by it, otherwise I wouldn't have asked this question in the first place. Thanks for clearing that up for me! :thumbsup

Oh okay, I got it now because obviously I don't want to do that either and I'm very disgusted by it, otherwise I wouldn't have asked this question in the first place. Thanks for clearing that up for me! :thumbsup
many of the old testament ways are hard to understand very well possible this statement could have been symbolic . curious did you use the link i provided so you could read others comments on it? or did you ignore it like in the past? i just noticed the link was for 1st kings my bad The king of Assyria sends, notwithstanding, a great host against Jerusalem; and his general, Rab-shakeh, delivers an insulting and blasphemous message to Hezekiah, out line https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/acc/2-kings-18.html read it very carefully this is a threat of what conditions will be like if they attack ---a scare tacit .if your going to be a student of the Bible your going to have to use resources like a commentary ..dont take there word as total truth. they like anyone can be wrong..but it can give you a good idea

many of the old testament ways are hard to understand very well possible this statement could have been symbolic . curious did you use the link i provided so you could read others comments on it? or did you ignore it like in the past? i just noticed the link was for 1st kings my bad The king of Assyria sends, notwithstanding, a great host against Jerusalem; and his general, Rab-shakeh, delivers an insulting and blasphemous message to Hezekiah, out line https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/acc/2-kings-18.html read it very carefully this is a threat of what conditions will be like if they attack ---a scare tacit .if your going to be a student of the Bible your going to have to use resources like a commentary ..dont take there word as total truth. they like anyone can be wrong..but it can give you a good idea

Actually, I just read it now since I couldn't find it before. It basically said the same thing that ezrider said. So same answer either way. :shrugSorry, I just don't see the big deal with the commentaries. At least I have an interest in reading and learning the Bible, I just do it in my own way and at my own pace. I'm still learning though, I don't think that anybody on here that knows me could possibly deny my spiritual growth since I first got signed up.

Sorry, I just don't see the big deal with the commentaries
but yet you trust every one in the forum to tell what the truth is. commentaries are written by men of old who have studied the scriptures . many of the hold D.R degrees . paul wrote to Timothy study to show your self approved rightly dividing the truth . its like being in school we dont understand the home work assignment . so we go to the teacher to ask them to explain.. how did they learn by studying asking the teacher .plus they have a teachers book to help guide them....

that is why they have commentaries TO HELP us learn. reading is great commentates concordances Bible dictionaries are there to help us understand...

I don't think that anybody on here that knows me could possibly deny my spiritual growth since I first got signed up.
i am not questioning your spiritual growth. you come to a public forum asking for advice.. if not mistaken rules state we are to show our source of information . that is what i am TRYing to do is show you a source you can get information from.... you cherry pick which info you want. after a while there will come a time you will not need commentaries as often.
i hope this makes you understand what i am trying to say.. nothing is more disheartening than to try to show how a person can learn better and watch them reject

but yet you trust every one in the forum to tell what the truth is. commentaries are written by men of old who have studied the scriptures . many of the hold D.R degrees . paul wrote to Timothy study to show your self approved rightly dividing the truth . its like being in school we dont understand the home work assignment . so we go to the teacher to ask them to explain.. how did they learn by studying asking the teacher .plus they have a teachers book to help guide them....

that is why they have commentaries TO HELP us learn. reading is great commentates concordances Bible dictionaries are there to help us understand...

i am not questioning your spiritual growth. you come to a public forum asking for advice.. if not mistaken rules state we are to show our source of information . that is what i am TRYing to do is show you a source you can get information from.... you cherry pick which info you want. after a while there will come a time you will not need commentaries as often.
i hope this makes you understand what i am trying to say.. nothing is more disheartening than to try to show how a person can learn better and watch them reject

Well as you have stated over, and over, and over, and over again,.. it is a public forum and I have just as much right to reject advice as well as accept it. :nag Seriously dude it's getting annoying. I was actually starting to like you, please don't push my buttons and make me change my mind. :nonono For the record though I know that I have to love you as a brother in Christ and I do, you just really get on my nerves sometimes that's all. :rolleyes

Well as you have stated over, and over, and over, and over again,.. it is a public forum and I have just as much right to reject advice as well as accept it. :nag Seriously dude it's getting annoying. I was actually starting to like you, please don't push my buttons and make me change my mind. :nonono For the record though I know that I have to love you as a brother in Christ and I do, you just really get on my nerves sometimes that's all. :rolleyes
seriously i am NOT A DUDE i am not concerned about your buttons or the changing of your mind... when i see a call for help on understanding .i do with what ability i have in sources to help out if you reject that your problem .i simply trying get you to understand . to read and study the Bible you need resources to go by.. if you want to reject them . if not careful you will be like a sail boat with out a sail . no control at the mercy of the current . BTW next month when you attend church ask your pastor how he learned have a great day hope the seed finds good ground

To the OP:

People don't want to do that. The Assyrian commander was telling the Jews that horrible things would happen to them if they didn't surrender to him. He was trying to scare the Jews.

It's always important to recognize what type of literature we're reading, since the Bible contains all types. This section is history. It's not instruction for us, and it has nothing to do with the Glory of God.

It's easy for me to read sections like this and conclude that Assyrians aren't nice people generally. Then I have to look at a map and see that no such place exists, but that misses the point entirely.

One way to condense an understanding of the history in the OT is this:

God's chosen people cried unto the Lord, and He delivered (saved) them. Then God's chosen people forgot the Lord, and got themselves into one mell of a hess. (That would be where the passage in question picks up) Then God's chosen people cried unto the Lord, and He delivered them.

Notice the pattern? This is VERY instructive to us as Christians!! Instead of bickering over things like OSAS, let's be diligent to make our calling and election sure, adding to our faith virtue, and to virtue knowledge, and to knowledge temperance, and to temperance patience, and to patience godliness, and to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness charity. Just like 2 Peter 1:5 says! Now go ahead and see how MSG puts that ...

This comes from the foundational covenant requirements spoken of in Deuteronomy 28.

The curse is for not obeying the voice of the Lord God, and serving other gods and breaking the covenant.

15 “But it shall come to pass, if you do not obey the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all His commandments and His statutes which I command you today, that all these curses will come upon you and overtake you:

16 “Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the country.

17 “Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl.

18 “Cursed shall be the fruit of your body and the produce of your land, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flocks.

19 “Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.

20 “The Lord will send on you cursing, confusion, and rebuke in all that you set your hand to do, until you are destroyed and until you perish quickly, because of the wickedness of your doings in which you have forsaken Me. 21 The Lord will make the plague cling to you until He has consumed you from the land which you are going to possess. 22 The Lord will strike you with consumption, with fever, with inflammation, with severe burning fever, with the sword, with scorching, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until you perish. 23 And your heavens which are over your head shall be bronze, and the earth which is under you shall be iron. 24 The Lord will change the rain of your land to powder and dust; from the heaven it shall come down on you until you are destroyed.

25 “The Lord will cause you to be defeated before your enemies; you shall go out one way against them and flee seven ways before them; and you shall become troublesome to all the kingdoms of the earth. 26 Your carcasses shall be food for all the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and no one shall frighten them away. 27 The Lord will strike you with the boils of Egypt, with tumors, with the scab, and with the itch, from which you cannot be healed. 28 The Lord will strike you with madness and blindness and confusion of heart. 29 And you shall grope at noonday, as a blind man gropes in darkness; you shall not prosper in your ways; you shall be only oppressed and plundered continually, and no one shall save you.

30 “You shall betroth a wife, but another man shall lie with her; you shall build a house, but you shall not dwell in it; you shall plant a vineyard, but shall not gather its grapes. 31 Your ox shall be slaughtered before your eyes, but you shall not eat of it; your donkey shall beviolently taken away from before you, and shall not be restored to you; your sheep shall begiven to your enemies, and you shall have no one to rescue them. 32 Your sons and your daughters shall be given to another people, and your eyes shall look and fail with longing for them all day long; and there shall be no strength in your hand. 33 A nation whom you have not known shall eat the fruit of your land and the produce of your labor, and you shall be only oppressed and crushed continually. 34 So you shall be driven mad because of the sight which your eyes see. 35 The Lord will strike you in the knees and on the legs with severe boils which cannot be healed, and from the sole of your foot to the top of your head.

36 “The Lord will bring you and the king whom you set over you to a nation which neither you nor your fathers have known, and there you shall serve other gods—wood and stone. 37 And you shall become an astonishment, a proverb, and a byword among all nations where the Lord will drive you.

38 “You shall carry much seed out to the field but gather little in, for the locust shall consume it. 39 You shall plant vineyards and tend them, but you shall neither drink of the wine nor gather the grapes; for the worms shall eat them. 40 You shall have olive trees throughout all your territory, but you shall not anoint yourself with the oil; for your olives shall drop off. 41 You shall beget sons and daughters, but they shall not be yours; for they shall go into captivity. 42 Locusts shall consume all your trees and the produce of your land.

43 “The alien who is among you shall rise higher and higher above you, and you shall come down lower and lower. 44 He shall lend to you, but you shall not lend to him; he shall be the head, and you shall be the tail.

45 “Moreover all these curses shall come upon you and pursue and overtake you, until you are destroyed, because you did not obey the voice of the Lord your God, to keep His commandments and His statutes which He commanded you. 46 And they shall be upon you for a sign and a wonder, and on your descendants forever.

47 “Because you did not serve the Lord your God with joy and gladness of heart, for the abundance of everything, 48 therefore you shall serve your enemies, whom the Lord will send against you, in hunger, in thirst, in nakedness, and in need of everything; and He will put a yoke of iron on your neck until He has destroyed you. 49 The Lord will bring a nation against you from afar, from the end of the earth, as swift as the eagle flies, a nation whose language you will not understand, 50 a nation of fierce countenance, which does not respect the elderly nor show favor to the young. 51 And they shall eat the increase of your livestock and the produce of your land, until you are destroyed; they shall not leave you grain or new wine or oil, or the increase of your cattle or the offspring of your flocks, until they have destroyed you.

52 “They shall besiege you at all your gates until your high and fortified walls, in which you trust, come down throughout all your land; and they shall besiege you at all your gates throughout all your land which the Lord your God has given you. 53 You shall eat the fruit of your own body, the flesh of your sons and your daughters whom the Lord your God has given you, in the siege and desperate straits in which your enemy shall distress you. 54 The sensitive and very refined man among you will be hostile toward his brother, toward the wife of his bosom, and toward the rest of his children whom he leaves behind, 55 so that he will not give any of them the flesh of his children whom he will eat, because he has nothing left in the siege and desperate straits in which your enemy shall distress you at all your gates. 56 The tender and delicate woman among you, who would not venture to set the sole of her foot on the ground because of her delicateness and sensitivity, will refuse to the husband of her bosom, and to her son and her daughter, 57 her placenta which comes out from between her feet and her children whom she bears; for she will eat them secretly for lack of everything in the siege and desperate straits in which your enemy shall distress you at all your gates.

58 “If you do not carefully observe all the words of this law that are written in this book, that you may fear this glorious and awesome name, THE LORD YOUR GOD, 59 then the Lord will bring upon you and your descendants extraordinary plagues—great and prolonged plagues—and serious and prolonged sicknesses. 60 Moreover He will bring back on you all the diseases of Egypt, of which you were afraid, and they shall cling to you. 61 Also every sickness and every plague, which is not written in this Book of the Law, will the Lord bring upon you until you are destroyed. 62 You shall be left few in number, whereas you were as the stars of heaven in multitude, because you would not obey the voice of the Lord your God. 63 And it shall be, that just as the Lord rejoiced over you to do you good and multiply you, so the Lord will rejoice over you to destroy you and bring you to nothing; and you shall be plucked from off the land which you go to possess.

64 “Then the Lord will scatter you among all peoples, from one end of the earth to the other, and there you shall serve other gods, which neither you nor your fathers have known—wood and stone. 65 And among those nations you shall find no rest, nor shall the sole of your foot have a resting place; but there the Lord will give you a trembling heart, failing eyes, and anguish of soul. 66 Your life shall hang in doubt before you; you shall fear day and night, and have no assurance of life. 67 In the morning you shall say, ‘Oh, that it were evening!’ And at evening you shall say, ‘Oh, that it were morning!’ because of the fear which terrifies your heart, and because of the sight which your eyes see.

68 “And the Lord will take you back to Egypt in ships, by the way of which I said to you, ‘You shall never see it again.’ And there you shall be offered for sale to your enemies as male and female slaves, but no one will buy you.” Deuteronomy 28:15-68

JLB

The point being made is that Rabshakeh was threatening the Jews with famine if they did not make allegiance to the king of Assyria. It would be a threat of the famine being so bad that it could reduce one to do those two disgusting thing.

That is with reference to the seige of Jerusalem. The invading army cuts off all access to food and water from the people inside the walled city. After a while, (months or years) the people inside the city run out of food and water. They eat whatever they can to stay alive and since poop still has some food value and urine is better than dying of thirst.......oh well.

Back