Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

In need of desperate help

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
S

Sebastian

Hello, for now you may refer to me as, Sebastian. Although it is not my real name, it is my middle name.

I have quite the dilemma and was wondering if anyone could be of service. I am a devout Christian of three years now, and upon accepting Jesus Christ into my life, it has changed me completely as a person.

Recently, I was diagnosed with a cancer. I am to go into surgery and then kemotherapy afterward in the coming month.

My question is, as I live in Colorado, Medical Marijuana is available as an option for myself. I take pills for pain caused by the cancer, but they just do not help.

I really feel that Medical Marijuana can help me, not only with my pain, but with my loss of apatite as well.

My biggest concern though is if marijuana usage, even for dire medical reasons, is against our lords wishes?

I understand it is a plant that grows freely in nature, and I feel that God put it here on Earth for us, but I'm not sure if that is what is right.

Please, can someone help me with the reasoning? What are the effects of marijuana? Is it against our Lord to use it?

Thank you all so much for your help. Praise the Lord :)

Sebastian, I'm going on the assumption that you're sincere. We've had some that weren't, so forgive me that the thought even crossed my mind.

first, the peace of God that transcends all understanding be with you in your trial that has been placed on your lap. I can no more imagine any trial than the one you have been given. :shame I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis of cancer, as this has no doubt been frightening to you and those around you. I have already prayed for you especially and those around you. I have prayed for healing, but more than that, I've prayed for a sense of God's presence in seeing you through whatever it is that you are pulled through. And believe me, He will be holding your hand throughout this. OUR God loves you, and anything you face has been allowed by His Autonomy and will serve a purpose however difficult it is to understand.

We are told to obey governing authorities. To that end, if the use of medical marijuana has been approved in Colorado, I see no contradiction with scripture to allow its use to ease the pain associated with cancer. This is in no way to be confused with recreational use. In this case, it serves a medical purpose.

My heart goes out to you with my prayers. While I can't sympathize with you, I can empathize with you, as I haven't gone through it myself. The peace and love of God be with you.

Be blessed,
Mike

the smoking of it has side effects and also can cause cancer if used in the long term, along with emphasema and c.o.p.d.

jasoncran said:
the smoking of it has side effects and also can cause cancer if used in the long term, along with emphasema and c.o.p.d.
umm, Jason. He already has the former, and the latter wouldn't be associated with limited medical use. Even if it was, emphysema is small potatoes compared to what he's dealing with. :twocents

Mike said:
jasoncran said:
umm, Jason. He already has the former, and the latter wouldn't be associated with limited medical use. Even if it was, emphysema is small potatoes compared to what he's dealing with. :twocents
yes but when mmj is adminstered via smoking there is that risk.

i know of some that smoke cigareetes lightly and got cancer from that. yrs later.

I'm getting to feel as I get older that many illnesses are genetically predisposed in humans. Not all cases and my beliefs aren't carved in stone but are based on a casual observation.

With that said, I agree with what Mike posted, including his petition of prayer. :pray

Oh, Sebastian! I am so very sorry to hear about your illness. We have cancer in the family as well and I am all too familiar with the challenges that lye ahead for you and your family. I will keep you all in my prayers.

I know somebody that uses MJ for medical reasons, however, it is for treating Aids rather than cancer. Straining a tea from the leaves hold far less danger to your health and even though it isn’t quite as effective as smoking it, it will help for the pain and your decreased appetite.

Hang in there.

l'Chante said:
Oh, Sebastian! I am so very sorry to hear about your illness. We have cancer in the family as well and I am all too familiar with the challenges that lye ahead for you and your family. I will keep you all in my prayers.

I know somebody that uses MJ for medical reasons, however, it is for treating Aids rather than cancer. Straining a tea from the leaves hold far less danger to your health and even though it isn’t quite as effective as smoking it, it will help for the pain and your decreased appetite.

Hang in there.
marinol.

Howdy Sebastian, and welcome to CFn. Sadden me to hear of your situation, but I think Mike gave you some real good godly advice. I also will be praying for you.

Sebastian, I am sorry to hear of your situation. A number of years ago, my brother-in-law, who was also my best friend, was diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer. I used to take him to his chemo appts. with his wife by our side. In nine months, he went from about 260 lbs. to under 150, finally passing away.

Cancer is truly a horrible disease, and I have to agree with Mike and the others who have encouraged you to use medical marijuana, if you choose to do so. In my opinion, anything that can help you get through the pain and can stimulate your appetite is a good thing, and, considering it is not even illegal in your state, why not use what is available?

I wish you the very best!

Sebastian said:
My biggest concern though is if marijuana usage, even for dire medical reasons, is against our lords wishes?

I understand it is a plant that grows freely in nature, and I feel that God put it here on Earth for us, but I'm not sure if that is what is right.

Please, can someone help me with the reasoning? What are the effects of marijuana? Is it against our Lord to use it?
Sebastian,

Ours is not a legalistic religion. We are free from the law. You know this. Take comfort in that truth.

The point is for us to live a life that honors God. Through prayer, the Spirit will let you know if you are within God’s will. To sin (to dishonor God) is to willfully disobey God’s will. He makes His will known to His people.

I think you need to take this up with God. It is a matter (in my opinion) between the two of you.

With regard to alcohol (I bring it up because it’s similar in many ways), the Bible does not condemn its use. Certainly, we aren’t to be drunkards, so it clearly condemns its abuse. The lesson I take from this is that we aren’t to “give ourselves over†to anything but God. We aren’t to “serve other godsâ€. If you’ve ever been addicted to anything you understand this pretty well.

If alcohol/marijuana/money/real estate/food/sports/music run your life, then you are out of God’s will. These things and others can become a god – and that is where the danger lies.

As for its effects (I can’t believe you haven’t tried it!) you will find that marijuana will make you feel a bit like you’ve missed a night of sleep. It is much less dramatic than alcohol. It is not addictive. You can not overdose on it. I would not be concerned about the adverse health effects of using it – they have been greatly overstated by those of the “refer madness†mindset. Any doctor will confirm this.

I would thank God for it, and use it. But again, you need to take it up personally with the Big Man. He will let you know. He won’t pull a fast one on you, keeping silent on the matter and then slamming you later for sinning. That’s not God’s style. He is a gracious God.

I’m sure everyone who read your post is praying for you and yours.

-HisSheep

:sad

And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
- Genesis 1:29

Mike made a really good post on this matter. If it is legal for medical purposes, then you are not disobeing the law, Scriptural or otherwise. And I highly doubt God wants you to suffer.

My most sincere prayers and wishes go out to you.

- Cheyenne

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back