Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Infant Baptism Is Just As Valid As Adult Baptism

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Alabaster said:
You appear to be set in your thinking on this, and it is amiss. We intercede when we pray for others. We must do it. If we don't then Jesus is hindered. As Spirit-filled believers intercession is a normal part of our walk.

If you don't do it, you miss out on the victory you gain and others gain because of it. Good soldiers STAND IN THE GAP for each other! I choose to intercede with the authority of Jesus Christ, and my reward is sure.
You do not understand the meaning of making intercession.

I have stated that one must pray for others, and stand in the gap for others, but we are not able to intercede as Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit intercede for the body of Christ.

You speak opinion and not the Word of God. That, my friend, is a trap of satan that you have fallen into.

BTW, you do not have any authority in Jesus Christ if you ignore the Word of God.

Last comment on intercession, and then back on topic; which has been exhausted. :shades

Comment: The intercession for the saints by Jesus and the Holy Spirit is easy enough to understand. We must be very careful, however, when talking about ourselves, as believers in Christ, being intercessors. We may speak (as the scripture does) of our making intercession by prayer for someone. However, we should mean that we pray for someone through the Holy Spirit and through Jesus Christ. When referring to something that we ourselves do, the word “intercede†means no more than to pray and plead for somebody. We must remember that it is Christ and the Spirit who have special access to God. No believer has access to God except through the Son of God and the Spirit of God. No believer has a greater privilege than any other. In praying or making intercession for others, we do not ursurp the intercessory work of Christ and the Spirit.

Solo said:
Alabaster said:
You appear to be set in your thinking on this, and it is amiss. We intercede when we pray for others. We must do it. If we don't then Jesus is hindered. As Spirit-filled believers intercession is a normal part of our walk.

If you don't do it, you miss out on the victory you gain and others gain because of it. Good soldiers STAND IN THE GAP for each other! I choose to intercede with the authority of Jesus Christ, and my reward is sure.

I have stated that one must pray for others, and stand in the gap for others, but we are not able to intercede as Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit intercede for the body of Christ.

You speak opinion and not the Word of God. That, my friend, is a trap of satan that you have fallen into.

BTW, you do not have any authority in Jesus Christ if you ignore the Word of God.

You misunderstand me. We cannot intercede as Jesus did with the Father, but we intercede to Christ in anything we feel so led to do. We are His agents here on Earth, His emissaries, and we have full authority to intercede. That is what "standing in the gap" is!

I am not deluded in this, friend, so do not accuse as Satan does.

Alabaster said:
Solo said:
Alabaster said:

You misunderstand me. We cannot intercede as Jesus did for us with His act of sacrifice for Atonement, but we intercede to Christ in anything we feel so led to do. We are His agents here on Earth, His emissaries, and we have full authority to intercede. That is what "standing in the gap" is! It is talking to Him on behalf of another! it is speaking with his authority to demons or disease or any other enemy.

Alabaster said:
Solo said:
Alabaster said:

You misunderstand me. We cannot intercede as Jesus did with the Father, but we intercede to Christ in anything we feel so led to do. We are His agents here on Earth, His emissaries, and we have full authority to intercede. That is what "standing in the gap" is!

Just show me Scripture, not opinion.

Command:

1 Timothy 2:1-2
Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.

The example is all set for us:

Romans 15:30-32
Dear brothers and sisters, I urge you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to join in my struggle by praying to God for me. Do this because of your love for me, given to you by the Holy Spirit. Pray that I will be rescued from those in Judea who refuse to obey God. Pray also that the believers there will be willing to accept the donation I am taking to Jerusalem. Then, by the will of God, I will be able to come to you with a joyful heart, and we will be an encouragement to each other.

1 Thessalonians 5:25
Dear brothers and sisters, pray for us.

2 Thessalonians 3:1-2
Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you, 2 and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men; for not all have faith.

Job interceded also...

Job 42:10
When Job prayed for his friends, the Lord restored his fortunes. In fact, the Lord gave him twice as much as before!

This is intercession...

Philippians 1:19
For I know that as you pray for me and the Spirit of Jesus Christ helps me, this will lead to my deliverance.

Every epistle is rife with requests for earnest prayer--that is intercession.

Alabaster said:
Command:

Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.

Dear brothers and sisters, I urge you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to join in my struggle by praying to God for me. Do this because of your love for me, given to you by the Holy Spirit. Pray that I will be rescued from those in Judea who refuse to obey God. Pray also that the believers there will be willing to accept the donation I am taking to Jerusalem. Then, by the will of God, I will be able to come to you with a joyful heart, and we will be an encouragement to each other.

Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you, 2 and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men; for not all have faith.

Job interceded also...

When Job prayed for his friends, the Lord restored his fortunes. In fact, the Lord gave him twice as much as before!

This is intercession...

For I know that as you pray for me and the Spirit of Jesus Christ helps me, this will lead to my deliverance.
Alabaster,

If your definition of intercession is praying for others, then you are correct; however, the Greek word á¼ÂνÄÅγÇάνει (entunchanei) and translated into English as "make intercession" is only done by the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ in the New Testament.

Thank you for this debate, and my apology to others on the thread for taking the OP out chasing a rabbit, but the discussion on intercession from my perspective has concluded.

God bless,

Solo

Solo said:
Alabaster said:
Command:

Job interceded also...

This is intercession...

Alabaster,

If your definition of intercession is praying for others, then you are correct; however, the Greek word á¼ÂνÄÅγÇάνει (entunchanei) and translated into English as "make intercession" is only done by the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ in the New Testament.

Thank you for this debate, and my apology to others on the thread for taking the OP out chasing a rabbit, but the discussion on intercession from my perspective has concluded.

God bless,

Solo

So we agree. We pray in the Spirit, and it is always Him.

Blessings.

Here is yet another argument as to why Paul cannot see baptism here in Romans 6 as an event that recalls, attests to, or remembers a past experience of dying and rising again with Jesus:

3Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

People have said that I need to understand that Paul is talking symbolically here. Well, they have given no argument for this and, as we will shortly see, this simply does not work.

Consider the two possibilities:

1. Paul here is talking literally - that being dunked into the water is the means by which the "old man" is put to death. This is the view that I think is the correct view.

2. Paul here uses the act of baptism as a symbol - as a way to refer to the event of our "old man" being put to death through means other than being dunked in water.

In advance of examing the Romans 6 text, each of these options is indeed possible.

Now let's consider position in light of the text. Position 1 survives because Paul says "4We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death . With the assumption that baptism is an event that brings about death, we have Paul basically saying the same thing in different words.

I want to be clear - just becaues "my" view works with the text doesn't make it correct. I need to show that position 2 cannot work with the text.

And, indeed, it cannot.

Let's say that Paul uses baptism symbolically here. Let's say that, like my opponents in this thread are saying, Paul understands that the submersion aspect of the act of baptism to symbolize the death of the "old man". This makes perfect sense to this point. It is easy to see how dunking a person into water can be understood to symbolize death. Fine.

So what would we have Paul then saying when he says "4We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death . We have him saying that the symbolic act brings about the real death. And I trust I do not need to explain what is wrong with that.

You see, if baptism is really a symbol of a death, then we have Paul saying: "4We were therefore buried with him through the symbol re-enactment of our death into the actual death of the inner Adamic man". This cannot work - the symbolic model commits us to seeing our "Adamic man" as already actually dead. So how can we die a second time?

Position 1, of course, works perfectly well. It sees baptism as a practice that brings about death - so there is not this problem of "double death" that arises with position 2.

Let's try and look at this subject matter logically. If Baptism does not impart salvation then logically Baptism(Infant and Adult) is just a dedication of infants and adults to Jesus. And Infant Baptism is valid because it is done according to the formula that Jesus gave for Baptism when He stated Baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I came up with believing that Infant Baptism and Adult Baptism is just a dedication of infants and adults to Jesus so that I could retain the belief in Infant Baptism as well as Adult Baptism.

I think we make a mistake to think that baptism is a "symbolic" act, as if there were nothing really happening when one is baptized.

Too often we Christians tend to think "Is this what *saves* me? Because if it isn't what *saves* me, then it's just *symbolic* and therefore not really all that important."

Since Paul draws a direct parallel between baptism and circumcision lets look at circumcision again. Circumcision was an act of obedience. Did it *save*? No, we know that circumcision in of itself did not save, it was the faith of the circumcision that saved one. But, was circumcision just a *symbolic* act? Not at all. If one was not circumcised one was not part of the congregation of God's people. Period. The uncircumcised were not allowed in.

Now, I would imagine that, in the course of human events, there were a number of uncircumcised men, perhaps seeing God's miraculous interventions in the wars of His people that came to a realization that the God of the Hebrews was God indeed, and, in their hearts, bowed to Him in faith, and died on the battlefield. Would such a one be saved due to the faith, even though he wasn't circumcised? Certainly. But, had he lived, then he would have to be circumcised, he and all his male children and male servants, in order to truly be a child of God.

The point of circumcision was that it involved the shedding of blood. The Hebrews had a number of blood sacrifices that they had to make, and circumcision was the first of such sacrifices. Now, the blood shed during the bris and the blood of the animals that they brought for sacrifice did not save them. But, they wouldn't be saved without the shed blood either.

The waters of baptism do not save, but one (unless there are certain circumstances, such as the thief on the cross) will not be saved without baptism either.

Because, just as God worked in the shed blood of circumcision and sacrifices, God works in baptism. I was reading earlier responses to this thread and I must agree with francisdesales when he said, "it is God who makes Baptism efficacious, not the person's amount of faith or the type of water or the holiness of the minister. It is a work of God that is not dependent upon the individual."

This is the same belief about baptism that Presbyterians and Lutherans hold as well. The work of baptism for salvation is the work that God is doing during the washing. It doesn't hinge on a person's faith, or the type of water, or even the manner in which the water is administered.

If baptism was efficacious because of a person's faith, then faith itself becomes a work. Faith would then be something that we have to do, have to have "enough" of, in order to be saved.

But, we know that faith isn't from ourselves. Faith is entirely a gift of God.

And, just as God works to give us faith, He also is the One working within our baptism to wash us and cleanse us of our sin.

Baptism is not symbolic, God works mightily in our baptism.

Hebrews 10:19-23 states: "Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful;"

We have assurance of faith (which does indeed come from God, not of ourselves) because of what Christ did on the cross (shed blood of sacrifice) and does in our baptism (cleanses our hearts from sin) and we can hold fast to this confession, again not because of our own faith, but because He is faithful.

I think we make a mistake to think that baptism is a "symbolic" act, as if there were nothing really happening when one is baptized.

Too often we Christians tend to think "Is this what *saves* me? Because if it isn't what *saves* me, then it's just *symbolic* and therefore not really all that important."

Since Paul draws a direct parallel between baptism and circumcision lets look at circumcision again. Circumcision was an act of obedience. Did it *save*? No, we know that circumcision in of itself did not save, it was the faith of the circumcision that saved one. But, was circumcision just a *symbolic* act? Not at all. If one was not circumcised one was not part of the congregation of God's people. Period. The uncircumcised were not allowed in.

Now, I would imagine that, in the course of human events, there were a number of uncircumcised men, perhaps seeing God's miraculous interventions in the wars of His people that came to a realization that the God of the Hebrews was God indeed, and, in their hearts, bowed to Him in faith, and died on the battlefield. Would such a one be saved due to the faith, even though he wasn't circumcised? Certainly. But, had he lived, then he would have to be circumcised, he and all his male children and male servants, in order to truly be a child of God.

The point of circumcision was that it involved the shedding of blood. The Hebrews had a number of blood sacrifices that they had to make, and circumcision was the first of such sacrifices. Now, the blood shed during the bris and the blood of the animals that they brought for sacrifice did not save them. But, they wouldn't be saved without the shed blood either.

The waters of baptism do not save, but one (unless there are certain circumstances, such as the thief on the cross) will not be saved without baptism either.

Because, just as God worked in the shed blood of circumcision and sacrifices, God works in baptism. I was reading earlier responses to this thread and I must agree with francisdesales when he said, "it is God who makes Baptism efficacious, not the person's amount of faith or the type of water or the holiness of the minister. It is a work of God that is not dependent upon the individual."

This is the same belief about baptism that Presbyterians and Lutherans hold as well. The work of baptism for salvation is the work that God is doing during the washing. It doesn't hinge on a person's faith, or the type of water, or even the manner in which the water is administered.

If baptism was efficacious because of a person's faith, then faith itself becomes a work. Faith would then be something that we have to do, have to have "enough" of, in order to be saved.

But, we know that faith isn't from ourselves. Faith is entirely a gift of God.

And, just as God works to give us faith, He also is the One working within our baptism to wash us and cleanse us of our sin.

Baptism is not symbolic, God works mightily in our baptism.

Hebrews 10:19-23 states: "Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful;"

We have assurance of faith (which does indeed come from God, not of ourselves) because of what Christ did on the cross (shed blood of sacrifice) and does in our baptism (cleanses our hearts from sin) and we can hold fast to this confession, again not because of our own faith, but because He is faithful.

Agree. It is by baptism that we are united with the passion, death and resurrection of our Lord. (Romans 6). Who would not agree that this glorious act does not save Christians? Thus, it is by baptism that we are united with that loving act.

Regards

Because Infant Baptism is not seen in scripture... It is a warped form of the dedication that was performed on Jewish babies...

Infant Baptism also is not in the 'formula' in Acts 2:38 "Repent and be baptized...."

I came up with believing that Infant Baptism and Adult Baptism is just a dedication of infants and adults to Jesus so that I could retain the belief .....

This is probably off topic and I also mean no offense with my response. You need to keep on learning and as you learn you will change your point of view on many topics. I'm not discussing the right or wrong of this topic but you need to search the scriptures and let the Holy Spirit guide you in your beliefs. Do not come up with a belief just so you can "retain the belief". The more you learn the more your beliefs will adjust with this knowledge. Just my 2 cents.

Westtexas

Because Infant Baptism is not seen in scripture... It is a warped form of the dedication that was performed on Jewish babies...

Infant Baptism also is not in the 'formula' in Acts 2:38 "Repent and be baptized...."

I'm not sure that the best way to come to an understanding regarding infant baptism is to look for the term "infant baptism" in the Scriptures. The best thing is to come to an understanding of just what exactly baptism is, then look towards the Scriptures to see if this is something that can only happen within an individual who repents, or if it is a promise that is extrapolated out to the children of believers, such as the promise of circumcision was.

:gah Of course, the problem with this is that the church hasn't truly ever had a consensus on what baptism effects in us, even prior to the Reformation, and certainly not since then. But, even though the church hasn't been able to come to a consensus on this subject, it's vitally important that we, as individuals, seek to learn what we can about it.

If we look more closely at Acts 2:38 we see that Peter isn't outlining a formula here, but rather is much more in-depth view of just what exactly those who thought they were saved via their circumcisions were to do to be saved.

2:38 is the conclusion of Peter's sermon at Pentecost, when many Jews were perplexed by the first Christians speaking of tongues. Peter calls upon those Jews (and it is important, vitally important to remember that Peter is speaking to Jews) to remember the prophesies regarding the Messiah and to realize that it was indeed the prophesied Messiah who was just crucified.

The response of the Jews, the circumcised, was to cry out to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?"

To which Peter replied, "Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and your children, and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God shall call to Himself."

It is just such a passage which is at the heart of the debate over baptism. Because, in this passage, Peter clearly states that the "promise" is for not only his hearer's, but also for their children. So, what is the "promise" here? Is it not the Holy Spirit? Is it not those who have the Spirit that the Lord shall call to Himself?

If the promise is the Holy Spirit, then Peter has also told those Jews that the promise is to their children as well. We do know that the Spirit can fill children and infants, the Spirit filled John the Baptist when he was still in the womb. And, if the Holy Spirit can fill children and infants, then how can we refuse baptism to them? This was the very same question that Peter posed when the Gentiles began to be filled with the Spirit in Acts 10:47, "Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did?"

Here we can step back just a bit to exactly what happened when the gentiles received the Spirit. Peter is preaching to the gentiles:

Acts 10:40-43 "God raised Him up on the third day and granted that He become visible, not to all the people, but to witnesses who were chosen beforehand by God, that is, to us who ate and drank with Him after He arose from the dead.
"And He ordered us to preach to the people, and solemnly to testify that this is the One who has been appointed by God as Judge of the living and the dead. Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins."

Then:

vs 44-46 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message. All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God."

The Holy Spirit came upon these gentiles as they were hearing the preaching of the gospel. And it is in this context that Peter asks, "Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?" (vs47)

I had mentioned before how important it was that we remember that Peter was speaking to Jews in Acts 2 and his query in Acts 10 is to the "circumcised believers". The reason why this is important is because these believers would very naturally consider that God's new sign of baptism would be for the children of believers, just as the old sign of circumcision was. This is something that is never taught against or repealed in any way. No where do we see a teaching, "Baptism is the sign of the new covenant just as circumcision was the sign of the old covenant. It's just really important to remember that, while the old covenant included, as a matter of fact, DEMANDED that your infants be circumcised, baptism is ONLY to be administered to those who are able to verbalize their repentant attitude."

Nope, that kind of teaching is nowhere to be found. What we do see is that baptism is promised to us and our children, just as circumcision was, and that all who have the Spirit, (which we know from Scriptures can certainly include children and infants) are to be baptized.

Now, having said all of this, I will disclose that I'm on the fence regarding this issue. I hope that I've articulated the "pro" side of infant baptism as I understand it to be taught. I find that infant baptism is Biblical enough, in the understanding that one can certainly use the Scriptures to validate the practice. However, I'm also quite ready to admit that one can just as easily use the Scriptures to validate the belief that only those who can articulate the fact they have the Spirit within them, (ie speaking in tongues, confessing repentance) should be baptized.

When Steve and I adopted our kids, they were already old enough to gain an understanding of the gospel. We waited a bit before they were baptized, waited until they were able to affirm their desire to be baptized. If I had to go back and do it all again, I would still make the same decision.

But, I'm also still on the learning curve on this one. My mind is very open to sound exegesis on this subject.

My parents had me baptized as an infant so I wouldn’t go to hell.

Should I be baptized again?

Were you baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Contrary to what many will say, there is really no other Scriptural imperative regarding the "form" of baptism. There are no clear instructions in the bible regarding they depth of water or how wet one must get. Many will point out that the folks back then were baptized in rivers, therefore it must mean to be fully dunked. Others will point out that the river Jordan is often only a few inches deep. However, Jesus' instructions clearly were to baptize in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. (Matt 28:19). This is non-negotiable, as it comes from the Lord Himself.

If you were baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, then I would say that go as the Spirit convicts you. My siblings were all baptized as infants. My brother later became a baptist and is baptized into each and every new church he attends. I think he's been dunked about 5 times now. My other sister believes very strongly in believer's baptism, so she was baptized as a public confession of faith. My eldest sister though believes wholeheartedly that God worked through her baptism as an infant, and even though she lived many years unfaithful to Him, He was never unfaithful to her, and therefore her baptism was efficacious.

Only you can know for sure what the Holy Spirit is convicting you to do in this.

Myself, I'm thankful enough I wasn't put in the position. I was baptized at 17, fully understanding what I was doing. There has never been any questions in my heart about my baptism.

My parents had me baptized as an infant so I wouldn’t go to hell.

Should I be baptized again?
No because your Baptism as an infant was a valid Baptism if it was done in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit which is the formula that Jesus gave for Baptism. And anyway Baptism is just a dedication of infants and adults to Jesus and does not impart salvation.

Baptism is hardly "just a dedication". Baptism is the way in which God does His cleansing work within us. To call it "just a dedication" seems to diminish baptism to just a technicality.

Baptism is something the Lord commanded and even participated in though He hardly had need of cleansing.

It's also rather presumptuous of us to think that, as long as something doesn't "save" us, it's unimportant. Obeying all of Christ's commands is of the utmost importance to all Christians. And, baptism is clearly a commandment.

No because your Baptism as an infant was a valid Baptism if it was done in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit which is the formula that Jesus gave for Baptism. And anyway Baptism is just a dedication of infants and adults to Jesus and does not impart salvation.

I don't think that the purpose if Baptism is not to save, either.

I think it is symbolic of what we will experience in our walk with the Lord.

Does that make sense?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back