Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is It Evil To Watch For Prophetic Fulfillments?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Hidden In Him

Staff member
Someone recently presented a strange argument in reference to people posting about the fulfillment of end-time prophecies. The argument suggested that one is evil if he or she is looking for the fulfillment of end-time events prophesied in scripture, most of which deal with judgments. For my own part, I believe scripture teaches that we should be watching so as to know how close things are to the end, as per Paul's teaching in 1st Thessalonians:

But concerning the times and the seasons, brothers, you have no need to be written to, for you yourselves know accurately that the Day of the Lord comes as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, "Peace and security," then sudden destruction shall come upon them as labor pains upon a pregnant woman, and they shall not escape. But you brothers are not in darkness that the Day should overtake you as a thief, for you are all sons of light and sons of the Day. We are not of the night nor of the darkness. So then, we should not sleep as the rest, but watch and remain sober, for those who sleep sleep at night, and those who drink get drunk at night. But we who are of the Day should remain sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of deliverance, for God has not appointed us unto wrath but to obtain deliverance through Him who died for us, our Lord Jesus Christ, that whether you may watch or we may sleep, we may live together with Him. (1 Thessalonians 5:1-10)

This passage delineates the difference between the Christian and the non-Christian. The Christian is always watching for prophetic events to be unfolding, so he will thereby not be caught off guard when the return of the Lord Jesus Christ is drawing near. The teaching is similar to what Jesus taught in Matthew 24, and then said, "When you see all these things happening, know that it is near — even at the doors! (Matthew 24:33). The non-Christian however does not believe in Biblical prophecies and is therefore oblivious to such signs, and will thus not know the return of Christ is coming. Non-believers are thus what Paul referred to in the passage as "sons of the night," who are spiritually asleep and thus unprepared.

What is your take on the following argument in relation to this?

Why do you look to the judgement and wrath of God to prove the scriptures are true?... your stated prophecy does not concern Christ and His kingdom that we might know the word of God is true; instead you prophecy to us of an Antichrist and the kingdoms of men.... An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign, but there shall no sign be given except...... As a futurist, are you a wicked and adulterous generation that seeks after a sign? If you want to prove the Word of God is true, then show us the salvation of Christ and the Kingdom of Heaven. Otherwise, you're just another Jonah sitting on a hill.

Last edited:
Someone recently presented a strange argument in reference to people posting about the fulfillment of end-time prophecies. The argument suggested that one is evil if he or she is looking for the fulfillment of end-time events prophesied in scripture, most of which deal with judgments. For my own part, I believe scripture teaches that we should be watching so as to know how close things are to the end, as per Paul's teaching in 1st Thessalonians:

But concerning the times and the seasons, brothers, you have no need to be written to, for you yourselves know accurately that the Day of the Lord comes as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, "Peace and security," then sudden destruction shall come upon them as labor pains upon a pregnant woman, and they shall not escape. But you brothers are not in darkness that the Day should overtake you as a thief, for you are all sons of light and sons of the Day. We are not of the night nor of the darkness. So then, we should not sleep as the rest, but watch and remain sober, for those who sleep sleep at night, and those who drink get drunk at night. But we who are of the Day should remain sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of deliverance, for God has not appointed us unto wrath but to obtain deliverance through Him who died for us, our Lord Jesus Christ, that whether you may watch or we may sleep, we may live together with Him. (1 Thessalonians 5:1-10)

This passage delineates the difference between the Christian and the non-Christian. The Christian is always watching for prophetic events to be unfolding, so he will thereby not be caught off guard when the return of the Lord Jesus Christ is drawing near. The teaching is similar to what Jesus taught in Matthew 24, and then said, "When you see all these things happening, know that it is near — even at the doors! (Matthew 24:33). The non-Christian however does not believe in Biblical prophecies and is therefore oblivious to such signs, and will thus not know the return of Christ is coming. Non-believers are thus what Paul referred to in the passage as "sons of the night," who are spiritually asleep and thus unprepared.

What is your take on the following argument in relation to this?

Why do you look to the judgement and wrath of God to prove the scriptures are true?... your stated prophecy does not concern Christ and His kingdom that we might know the word of God is true; instead you prophecy to us of an Antichrist and the kingdoms of men.... An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign, but there shall no sign be given except...... As a futurist, are you a wicked and adulterous generation that seeks after a sign? If you want to prove the Word of God is true, then show us the salvation of Christ and the Kingdom of Heaven. Otherwise, you're just another Jonah sitting on a hill.
What do you do differently when you think they are there?

Historically, this “Jesus is coming any minute” theology has gutted the church out of its call to bring the good news to the nations. It’s obvious why…why bother if it’s all over any minute now?

Revelation was a great comfort to the recipients of the letter. Matthew 24 was a warning that the christians heeded and thereby saved their own lives.

But what does believing it’s being fulfilled in world events do for you?

Last edited:
Historically, this “Jesus is coming any minute” theology has gutted the church out of its call to bring the good news to the nations. It’s obvious why…why bother if it’s all over any minute now?

At the risk of sounding rude, you leave me no choice here but to repeat myself again: Jesus is NOT coming any minute and will not come in my lifetime. This is my position and I hold to it firmly and have for decades. It will not change.
What do you do differently when you think they are there?

As for end-time events in general, I plan accordingly, even if it's just psychologically. If I know in advance that food prices are going to be much higher, I am expecting it, so it doesn't come as a shock but is something I had already come to terms with well before it got here. If vandalism in churches becomes a fad, I'm not all up in arms and dismayed. I don't even react to it really and it doesn't disturb me in any way because I already knew it was coming a long time in advance.

I walk in peace, and a lot of it has to do with seeing things coming before they get here, and that as a result of knowing what the Spirit is saying to the churches.

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding rude, you leave me no choice here but to repeat myself again: Jesus is NOT coming any minute and will not come in my lifetime. This is my position and I hold to it firmly and have for decades. It will not change.
I agree but you know, you aren’t the only one here. There are those who think and teach this. Glad you’re not one.
As for end-time events in general, I plan accordingly, even if it's just psychologically. If I know in advance that food prices are going to be much higher, I am expecting it, so it doesn't come as a shock but is something I had already come to terms with well before it got here. If vandalism in churches becomes a fad, I'm not all up in arms and dismayed. I don't even react to it really and it doesn't disturb me in any way because I already knew it was coming a long time in advance.
So living with the understanding that terrible times are coming is the outcome, right? One is not enraged at injustice but knew it all along? It’s a way to live.

I choose to think the world is getting closer to the King’s will being done in more places than 100 years ago and believe the standards of quality of life measures show improvements.

You:
I walk in peace, and a lot of it has to do with seeing things coming before they get here, and that as a result of knowing what the Spirit is saying to the churches.

I walk in peace too and hope. Not hope that I’ll be rescued out of the mess but that the mess will be reducing over time so that many others will be rescued out of poverty, hunger, oppression, and ignorance and be able to enjoy the blessings of this life that God intended us to enjoy.

I choose to think the world is getting closer to the King’s will being done in more places than 100 years ago and believe the standards of quality of life measures show improvements.

The quality of life most definitely WAS showing improvements over the last 100 years or so, yes, and I thank God for all of it. Quite literally in fact. In prayers just yesterday I was thanking my God once again for air conditioning, and heating, and a car, and hot baths, and a lot of other things people in other centuries would have considered luxuries.

But now, the quality of life was continuing to get better up until just recently. As of late, things seem to be going in the opposite direction now, as I posted in the following thread. The first three posts are a rather lengthy explanation of a dream, but the video included in Post #4 summarizes why it may well have been inevitable that the high standard of living we have enjoyed for half a century or more would eventually take a nose dive:
https://christianforums.net/threads/returning-to-a-19th-century-standard-of-living-soon.89047/

As an optimist, this might not be something you can stomach very well, but while I am all for seeing the bright side in all situations and only "thinking on that which is of good report," I'm afraid you may find that the wave we have been riding of the standard of living continuing to improve is unfortunately about at its end now.

Out of curiosity, what part of Europe do you live in, btw?

I walk in peace too and hope. Not hope that I’ll be rescued out of the mess but that the mess will be reducing over time so that many others will be rescued out of poverty, hunger, oppression, and ignorance and be able to enjoy the blessings of this life that God intended us to enjoy.

Not that I would attack you over it, but this perspective is similar to what I have heard taught by those who hold to Kingdom Now theology, which is the idea that the world will get better and better until the church finally rules over the entire planet and evil is overthrown, and after the church has gained world dominion (also called "Dominion Theology") they will in turn hand it over to the Lord Jesus Christ at His return.

Is that similar to what you believe, or are you just more of an optimist and don't necessarily apply it all towards eschatology. I didn't care for going round and round on that subject on my other thread, but here would be the prefect place for it.

The argument suggested that one is evil if he or she is looking for the fulfillment of end-time events prophesied in scripture, most of which deal with judgments. For my own part, I believe scripture teaches that we should be watching so as to know how close things are to the end, as per Paul's teaching in 1st Thessalonians:

Yes, amen. Jesus gave Instruction to His followers about the times and seasons of His return, at the end of this age.

Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.

Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his master made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season? Blessed is that servant whom his master, when he comes, will find so doing. Assuredly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all his goods. But if that evil servant says in his heart, ‘My master is delaying his coming,’ and begins to beat his fellow servants, and to eat and drink with the drunkards, the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him and at an hour that he is not aware of, and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matthew 24:44-51

• Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his master made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season?

Jesus warned us of famines and things that have an impact on food supply.

For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places.
Matthew 24:7

Yet, He expects His servants whom He made to be overseer’s to steward the distribution of food to His people, to be awake and sober, as well as wise and faithful to carry out His instructions.

This is just one thing we can learn from prophetic instruction from our King.

Only a fool would disregard the instructions of Jesus.

Hear instruction and be wise,
And do not disdain it.
Blessed is the man who listens to me,
Watching daily at my gates,
Waiting at the posts of my doors.
For whoever finds me finds life,
And obtains favor from the LORD;

But he who sins against me wrongs his own soul;
All those who hate me love death.”
Proverbs 8:33-36

JLB

I thought you should understand that the premiss for this thread was based upon a falsehood, and no such claim was made that it was evil to watch for prophecies. The context of the conversation was much different. This is the comment the from author of this mischaracterized OP that I initially responded to.

I asked the following:

Why is it that all of your end-time prophecies always point towards the judgement and wrath of God in order to prove that your interpretations of the bible are true?

Are you familiar with the sign of Jonah?

It was Jesus who said an evil and adulterous generation seeks after sign, and that none would be given except the sign of Jonah. I asked, but never got an answer. Why do those who promote end time prophecies always point towards the judgement and wrath of God and the coming of the antichrist. The law and the prophets spoke to the coming of Christ.

As to the sign of Jonah, do you know what became of Jonah? What was his latter end?
I appreciate your point.

I think you should understand my response was to the question posited in the OP.

Not to any person to whom they referred in positing the question.

That someone suggested no such thing. If you wanted to make a new thread for this, that is certainly is fine. But why the need to start it by being disingenuous about the question I asked of you?
How many post have you spun from other threads. Your name wasn't even mentioned.

Jesus gave us in Matthew 24 and 2 Timothy 3:1-9 that of what we are to watch for so we are not taken as a thief in the night. We are not to fear that which must come first, Matthew 10:28, but to be about our Fathers business as being faithful servants looking for the day of Christ return on the last day.

Back