Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is it ok to you to be vegan for ethical reasons?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Keep in mind the Bible also talks about eating meat--as mentioned, Jesus ate fish on more than one occasion. Acts 10:10-16, too. The only meat we shouldn't eat, according to the NT, is meat that was offered to idols, or for the sake of someone else' conscience if they feel that eating meat is wrong.
When they sacrificed animals in the OT, they ate the meat.

So while there's nothing at all wrong with being vegan or vegetarian, the Bible doesn't at all necessitate it.

"But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak."
~I Corinthians 8:8, 9 KJV

Last edited by a moderator:
The bible says all sorts of stuff about it. If your pro or against abstaining from meat you can dig up lots of verses either way but it comes down to living under grace and personal preference.
I can't think of a single verse for abstaining from meat. I would be interested if you can provide one.

View attachment 3044

This image says a lot.

Thou shall not kill.
One of the Ten commandments given to Moses.
Also in Mosaic Law is the command of sacrifice and of course the sprinkling of blood.

:confused

If one chooses not to eat meat for any reason that's certainly their prerogative.

"Is it ok to you to be vegan for ethical reasons?"

I don't see how ethics play any part in eating meat or not eating meat anyway.
Is it unethical not to feed the birds in the winter knowing full well they can barely find anything to eat and many die of starvation? Is it unethical not to adopt animals as pets when you know they are destined for euthanasia if you don't? Is it unethical not to donate so those animals won't be killed?

Heck, I can sit here and tug on heart strings all day long concerning those matters because I choose to feed the birds, choose to adopt the animals I know I can support and choose to donate to my local animal shelter. And just because I eat meat doesn't mean I'm an unethical hypocrite.

If a vegetarian chooses to judge others with ethics in mind then I'd say if that person doesn't do all the above then indeed, he/she is an unethical hypocrite by the same standards they impose on others while making their case against them by attempting to pull on their heart strings.

:shrug

HTML:
I can't think of a single verse for abstaining from meat. I would be interested if you can provide one.
Deuteronomy 14:8

There's a lot of Jews abstain from pork because of old testament laws. Pig is meat and the bible tells the Jews not to eat that meat.

If you were to adopt a vegan diet and say its because you believe its lesser violence killing plants instead of animals than would that be going against the Christian teachings, in line or neutral?

Thanks
First of all, let me commend you for your concern about not participating in violence.

I suggest that adopting the vegan diet is "in line" with the gospel - you are minimizing the destruction of the life that God created. So I think you are on the right path.

I'm vegetarian/vegan (same thing) primarily because I love animals, but a part of it is also because meat is ridiculously inefficient to mass produce. The amount of land, water, and grain used to feed beef cattle in the USA alone could by itself cure global hunger worldwide. So meat does seem a bit silly of a choice as a society, but I don't see it as my place to tell others what to eat.

Deuteronomy 14:8

There's a lot of Jews abstain from pork because of old testament laws. Pig is meat and the bible tells the Jews not to eat that meat.
That was for a specific people at a specific time and cannot legitimately be used to support vegetarianism, particularly since the Jews ate all sorts of other meats.

I'm vegetarian/vegan (same thing) primarily because I love animals, but a part of it is also because meat is ridiculously inefficient to mass produce. The amount of land, water, and grain used to feed beef cattle in the USA alone could by itself cure global hunger worldwide. So meat does seem a bit silly of a choice as a society, but I don't see it as my place to tell others what to eat.
After seeing most of Food, Inc. for the second time, my wife and I made the decision to try and buy meat from local producers where the animals have been humanely treated--pasture raised, grass fed, hormone/antibiotic free, free range, etc. The prices are staggering in comparison but we decided to eat less of it and support those who do it in a way which is in keeping with good stewardship, as per Gen 1.

That was for a specific people at a specific time and cannot legitimately be used to support vegetarianism, particularly since the Jews ate all sorts of other meats.
I gave you a verse it's all you wanted.

The problem with that book of Leviticus and its laws is how do you decide to enforce one law as binding and not all of them.

Il never use the bible to try and promote vegetarianism. It's a bit like chasing your tail around, it wil give you something to do but not get you anywhere useful.

Il never use the bible to try and promote vegetarianism. It's a bit like chasing your tail around, it wil give you something to do but not get you anywhere useful.

Probably because the testimony is of God's pursuit of man's heart, not his stomach.

Probably because the testimony is of God's pursuit of man's heart, not his stomach.
Yeah pretty much. I don't think dinner was high on Gods priority list (for christians) with the themes included in the bible.

It would have made a cool appendix at the end though.

Back