Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Is Jehovah's Witness a Christian belief?

rEVOLVEr

Jehovah's Witnesses believe in the Trinity, in Jesus Christ and they study the Bible a lot. However, I've read on this forum that they are not considered to be Christians.
What makes them apart?

rEVOLVEr said:
Jehovah's Witnesses believe in the Trinity, in Jesus Christ and they study the Bible a lot. However, I've read on this forum that they are not considered to be Christians.
What makes them apart?
JW's do not believe in the Trinity. They believe that Jesus was a lesser "god", not co-eternal and co-equal w/ the Father. JW's are not Christian.

toddm said:
rEVOLVEr said:
What makes them apart?
JW's do not believe in the Trinity. They believe that Jesus was a lesser "god", not co-eternal and co-equal w/ the Father. JW's are not Christian.

A belief in the trinity doesn't make one a 'christian'. A 'protestant' or 'catholic' sure but not a 'christian.' JW's could be called christians just like any other religion that believes in Christ.

A definition of 'christian':

- relating to or characteristic of Christianity; "Christian rites"
- a religious person who believes Jesus is the Christ and who is a member of a Christian denomination
- following the teachings or manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus Christ

So unless we are under the impression that only catholics, eastern orthodox, and protestants are the only one's that can be 'christians' I would say anyone who falls under the definition above would be considered a 'christian'.

A Christian is someone who believes who Jesus said and revealed himself to be as well as someone who believes in his death and resurrection. There are a number of core doctrines which define Christianity and a Christian will believe those doctrines. This includes the deity of Jesus, from which a belief in the Trinity follows.

seekandlisten said:

- a religious person who believes Jesus is the Christ and who is a member of a Christian denomination
- following the teachings or manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus Christ
These all beg the question.

Free said:
A Christian is someone who believes who Jesus said and revealed himself to be as well as someone who believes in his death and resurrection. There are a number of core doctrines which define Christianity and a Christian will believe those doctrines. This includes the deity of Jesus, from which a belief in the Trinity follows.

seekandlisten said:

These all beg the question.

So you would say that only those who believe as the catholics, eastern orthodox, and protestants do are 'christians'? Mormons and JW's can't be christians even though they believe in Jesus they just don't do in the same way you do it? What about those that claim the beliefs but don't live them? How do we know what's in another's heart? Personally I think it's easier to make sure I'm in line with what God taught us through his prophets and messengers and that my actions portray that then worrying about what set of beliefs I must fall in line with to be a 'true christian' which is only someone's opinion anyways.

seekandlisten said:
So you would say that only those who believe as the catholics, eastern orthodox, and protestants do are 'christians'?
They are the main Christian groups, yes, but not everyone in them is a Christian and there are perhaps a few other groups as well.

seekandlisten said:
Mormons and JW's can't be christians even though they believe in Jesus they just don't do in the same way you do it?
Yes, and this is my whole point. Jesus is who he is and not someone he is not. He is either God or he is not. You have greatly trivialized something that is of the utmost importance. As soon as the deity of Jesus is thrown out the window, so goes any fixed reference for determining who is a Christian, a follower of the true Christ. And that is very problematic for many reasons, not to mention that who Jesus is is closely tied in with salvation in Scripture.

seekandlisten said:
What about those that claim the beliefs but don't live them? How do we know what's in another's heart?
Those who claim to be Mormon and JW? Who and what beliefs? They have many beliefs that contradict Scripture, especially Mormons.

seekandlisten said:
Personally I think it's easier to make sure I'm in line with what God taught us through his prophets and messengers and that my actions portray that then worrying about what set of beliefs I must fall in line with to be a 'true christian' which is only someone's opinion anyways.
Your argument is contradictory. On the one hand you don't agree that a given set of doctrines determines whether one is a Christian or not, yet you argue that "it's easier to make sure I'm in line with what God taught us through his prophets and messengers." Again, this begs the question. Just what is it that Gos has taught through the prophets and messengers?

You have given in to the relativistic pluralism that plagues so much of society.

seekandlisten said:
A belief in the trinity doesn't make one a 'christian'. A 'protestant' or 'catholic' sure but not a 'christian.' JW's could be called christians just like any other religion that believes in Christ.

So unless we are under the impression that only catholics, eastern orthodox, and protestants are the only one's that can be 'christians' I would say anyone who falls under the definition above would be considered a 'christian'.

I agree.

Free said:
seekandlisten said:
So you would say that only those who believe as the catholics, eastern orthodox, and protestants do are 'christians'?
They are the main Christian groups, yes, but not everyone in them is a Christian and there are perhaps a few other groups as well.

So what determines whether or not someone is a christian then? If not everyone who agrees with a religion is not truly a part of that religion why should I be a part of the religion if that really isn't the whole part of it?

Free said:
seekandlisten said:
Mormons and JW's can't be christians even though they believe in Jesus they just don't do in the same way you do it?
Yes, and this is my whole point. Jesus is who he is and not someone he is not. He is either God or he is not. You have greatly trivialized something that is of the utmost importance. As soon as the deity of Jesus is thrown out the window, so goes any fixed reference for determining who is a Christian, a follower of the true Christ. And that is very problematic for many reasons, not to mention that who Jesus is is closely tied in with salvation in Scripture.

But the belief that Jesus is God Himself is only based on opinion as much as I'm sure you will disagree. There is no 'fact' and we can argue it all day and not come to a conclusion. There is equal arguments to both sides of that statement and either way it won't keep you from being 'saved'. Jesus said simply 'believe in me', he didn't say believe that I am equal to God the Father? Just so you know I don't want to argue this point as it goes nowhere. I know most disagree with me but telling me your right and I'm wrong isn't enough for me to throw away all logic and blindly believe the doctrine of the trinity sorry.

Another question, why do we need a measuring stick to determine who is a christian? It should be quite evident in their actions.

Free said:
seekandlisten said:
What about those that claim the beliefs but don't live them? How do we know what's in another's heart?
Those who claim to be Mormon and JW? Who and what beliefs? They have many beliefs that contradict Scripture, especially Mormons.

Why because they read the book of mormon along with the bible? Did Jesus say read the bible only?

Free said:
seekandlisten said:
Personally I think it's easier to make sure I'm in line with what God taught us through his prophets and messengers and that my actions portray that then worrying about what set of beliefs I must fall in line with to be a 'true christian' which is only someone's opinion anyways.
Your argument is contradictory. On the one hand you don't agree that a given set of doctrines determines whether one is a Christian or not, yet you argue that "it's easier to make sure I'm in line with what God taught us through his prophets and messengers." Again, this begs the question. Just what is it that Gos has taught through the prophets and messengers?

To love our neighbours as ourself and have no other Gods before the One True God.

Free said:
You have given in to the relativistic pluralism that plagues so much of society.

Explain what you mean as their are all sorts of assumptions in regards to this. I don't believe any religion will get you 'saved' so to speak. The only way to the Father is through Jesus plain and simple I don't need any religions interpretation of what this entails to come up with a checklist that will have little to no affect on the motives in my heart.

seekandlisten said:
That's just it, they don't believe in the Jesus of everyone else. Mormons and JW's believe Jesus is the brother of Satan - a created being, thus they believe Jesus is created and less of a deity than God the Father.

RND said:
seekandlisten said:
That's just it, they don't believe in the Jesus of everyone else. Mormons and JW's believe Jesus is the brother of Satan - a created being, thus they believe Jesus is created and less of a deity than God the Father.

I'm not saying all their beliefs are right, I disagree with all religions to an extent just as much as I agree with all religions to an extent if that makes any sense. There are those other than the JW's that don't believe Jesus is equal to the Father, that is not the definition of a 'christian'.

The false teachings of Mormon's:

- There are many gods
- The trinity is three separate gods
- Jesus and Satan are spiritual brothers
- God had physical relations with Mary to make Jesus
- You must shed your own blood for the forgivness of some sins
- Good works are necessary for the forgivness of sins

False teachings of JW's

- Their church is the prophet of God
- Only their church will be saved
- Jesus was an angel who became a man
- Jesus did not rise physically from the dead
- There is no trinity

There are many others. Neither of these cults are a Christian religion.

seekandlisten said:
RND said:
seekandlisten said:

I'm not saying all their beliefs are right,
Right.
I disagree with all religions to an extent just as much as I agree with all religions to an extent if that makes any sense.
If it's from man I usually discount it and don't pay attention to it.
There are those other than the JW's that don't believe Jesus is equal to the Father, that is not the definition of a 'christian'.
If one doesn't believe that Jesus and the Father are "one" then we begin to have problems.

Jhn 10:30 I and [my] Father are one.

Armor of God said:

- There are many gods
- The trinity is three separate gods
- Jesus and Satan are spiritual brothers
- God had physical relations with Mary to make Jesus
- You must shed your own blood for the forgivness of some sins

False teachings of JW's

- Their church is the prophet of God
- Only their church will be saved
- Jesus was an angel who became a man
- Jesus did not rise physically from the dead
- There is no trinity

:thumb Excellent summation.

rEVOLVEr said:
What makes them apart?
as a former jw they dont considered jesus god, a son of god yes, but an archangel called micheal is the same as him, all worship is directed to the father,jehovah. the Holy Spirit is the acting of jehovah in creation a figure of speech.

they also dont believe that jesus died on the cross, but rather a stake.

Armor of God said:

- There are many godsBut only ONE TRUE GOD
- The trinity is three separate godsCould be taken this way but I would have to know what this means to the believers. I don't believe in the trinity plain and simple, I also don't put another belief in its place.
- Jesus and Satan are spiritual brothers I wouldn't agree with this belief.
- God had physical relations with Mary to make JesusAgain I would disagree.- You must shed your own blood for the forgivness of some sinsNever heard this belief before but again wrong with what the bible teaches.
- Good works are necessary for the forgivness of sinsthey should be evident so somewhat true

False teachings of JW's

- Their church is the prophet of GodSame belief as christians
- Only their church will be savedSame belief as christians
- Jesus was an angel who became a manNo more wrong than teaching that Jesus was God Himself, in my opinion
- Jesus did not rise physically from the deadWhy must this be true? I believe Jesus rose from the dead but whether or not this is any different than us being resurrected through Christ is a matter of opinion.
- There is no trinityI agree
- Good works are necessary for the forgivness of sinsNot a bad belief, as they should follow suite.

So you would fall under the group that says only catholics, eastern orthodox, and protestants are essentially 'christians'. What about the beliefs in these groups that are wrong? Only based on your opinion others are not 'christian'. I am not a mormon or a JW but if one claims to follow that religion and they demonstrate God's love for others why would I think they are not my brother or sister? Just because they believe different then me? I believe I have brothers and sisters in Christ from all walks of life, muslims, christians, athiests, buddhists, etc. Jesus didn't die for the just the sins of the 'christians'. We must realize we are all equal in this life.

they wont be accomadating like you would be seekandlisten

one cant give blood or recieve organs that have blood in them, as if you did and wont repent even to save your child, you get kicked out.

no military or policeman allowed
or no college , it used to be.

a cult, nah

jasoncran said:
they wont be accomadating like you would be seekandlisten

one cant give blood or recieve organs that have blood in them, as if you did and wont repent even to save your child, you get kicked out.

no military or policeman allowed
or no college , it used to be.

a cult, nah

You're raising a few very interesting questions.
I will ask a JW friend of mine to see what he says.

seekandlisten said:

So, if I say that I live in Springfield and someone else says they that live in Springfield too, then that MUST mean they live in the same city, right? If there is more than one Springfield, then further details must be given to determine if it's the same Springfield that you live in. My point being, one can say "I'm a Christian" and someone else can say "I'm a Christian", and not be following the same Jesus. The Jesus of the New Testament is fully God and fully man, co-equal and co-eternal w/ the Father. If someone claims to follow a Jesus that isn't fully God and fully man, then they follow a DIFFERENT Jesus; therefore they are not Christian (Galatians 1:6-9).

seekandlisten said:
Armor of God said:

- There are many godsBut only ONE TRUE GOD
- The trinity is three separate godsCould be taken this way but I would have to know what this means to the believers. I don't believe in the trinity plain and simple, I also don't put another belief in its place.
- Jesus and Satan are spiritual brothers I wouldn't agree with this belief.
- God had physical relations with Mary to make JesusAgain I would disagree.- You must shed your own blood for the forgivness of some sinsNever heard this belief before but again wrong with what the bible teaches.
- Good works are necessary for the forgivness of sinsthey should be evident so somewhat true

False teachings of JW's

- Their church is the prophet of GodSame belief as christians
- Only their church will be savedSame belief as christians
- Jesus was an angel who became a manNo more wrong than teaching that Jesus was God Himself, in my opinion
- Jesus did not rise physically from the deadWhy must this be true? I believe Jesus rose from the dead but whether or not this is any different than us being resurrected through Christ is a matter of opinion.
- There is no trinityI agree
- Good works are necessary for the forgivness of sinsNot a bad belief, as they should follow suite.

So you would fall under the group that says only catholics, eastern orthodox, and protestants are essentially 'christians'. What about the beliefs in these groups that are wrong? Only based on your opinion others are not 'christian'. I am not a mormon or a JW but if one claims to follow that religion and they demonstrate God's love for others why would I think they are not my brother or sister? Just because they believe different then me? I believe I have brothers and sisters in Christ from all walks of life, muslims, christians, athiests, buddhists, etc. Jesus didn't die for the just the sins of the 'christians'. We must realize we are all equal in this life.
This has nothing to do w/ equality on a humanitarian level. It has everything to do with TRUTH. Buddhists, Muslims, atheists, and Christians CAN'T ALL BE RIGHT. Why? Each belief system contradicts the other. There must be one that is true.

Back