Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is the world...

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
It is certainly a better theory than the Bronze Age Jews had.

Best wishes, 2RM.
I'm sure we agree somewhat.
But the bronze age Jews did come up with a unique idea.

Where they lived there existed a myriad of gods.
They had the idea that there was only one God.

And in our modern world, even many scientists have come to accept this idea.

Interesting.

Hmmm. This is so philosophically illiterate I don't really quite know where to start.

Let's try this. It is just not the case that if some theory is true (or rather, consistent with reality and not yet disproven) all component parts of that theory are also true. Take the ancient Greek (Democritus') idea of the atom. He thought all matter was composed of atoms, and on that he was quite right. But he also thought that atoms were indivisible, and on that he was quite wrong. For the last hundred years, since Rutherford first split an atom, physicists have been discovering a whole wealth of sub atomic particles, and will doubtless find more as the field develops.

Best wishes, 2RM.
And the more they find, the more complicated it becomes and more questions are raised than answered.

Also, please be nice to other members.
No one here is illiterate since we all know how to read and write.

You said that in a perfect world there would nothing left to do that would be of any importance.

What leads you to make this claim?
Is cancer conquered better and faster in an environment of hostility or cooperation?

Your short answers show no interest in discussion. Why does imperfection create a more interesting world?

In a perfect world there would be no cancer, or any other sickness or disease, either. So what would all our doctors and researchers do with their lives? And without the prospect of a cure for cancer and other diseases, there would be no incentive to discover how our bodies work, and we would just be ignorant, complacent and bored.

My answers may be short, but that is not because I have no interest in discussion, only because I do not like to ramble, and would prefer to make my points succinctly.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:
And the more they find, the more complicated it becomes and more questions are raised than answered.

Also, please be nice to other members.
No one here is illiterate since we all know how to read and write.

I didn't say he was illiterate. I qualified the description with the word 'philosophically'. No one is under any compulsion to read any philosophy at all, of course, but if one wants to be respected in debate, it really is a good idea. But I take your point, and will try to be more polite henceforth.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Saying parts of the Bible are not true is blasphemy against God.
I don't think it's blasphemy. I do admit to heresy though. Fortunately, God seems OK with my heresies, in that my conscience doesn't trouble me, and my relationship with Him is probably as good now as any sinner has a right to expect.

Best wishes, 2RM.

I don't think it's blasphemy. I do admit to heresy though. Fortunately, God seems OK with my heresies, in that my conscience doesn't trouble me, and my relationship with Him is probably as good now as any sinner has a right to expect.

Best wishes, 2RM.
I'm sorry, but I don't think God is OK with any heresies that come against His written word. God is not OK with our sin, but yet forgives us when we repent of our wrong doings. I know when I do wrong the Holy Spirit is always quick to correct me as I see it as a matter of the conscience being convicted of my sin, but also a matter of the condition of ones heart.

Ah but science offers us the insights of why it will happen (ie., what will cause it) and when it will happen (the Earth uninhabitable in about a billion years, and being engulfed by the sun in about 7 billion years). Habitability assumng, of course, we don't do something radically stupid first, such as start chucking nukes around, or otherwise destroying the ecosphere on which we depend for our sustenance. But don't worry too much, a billion years is a heck of a long time.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Though science can understand the physics of dying star, science cannot understand the when is entirely determined by God's timetable not the averages.

Best wishes, 2RM.
The Holy Spirit is given to us by God to be our guide into the truth. Why not ask God to fill you with His Spirit? That way your conscience will trouble you, as it should. BTW, God is never okay with heresies. He is patient so that all people, including you, can come to knowledge of the truth.

It is folly to brag about being a sinner.

The Holy Spirit is given to us by God to be our guide into the truth. Why not ask God to fill you with His Spirit? That way your conscience will trouble you, as it should. BTW, God is never okay with heresies. He is patient so that all people, including you, can come to knowledge of the truth.

It is folly to brag about being a sinner.

I'm not bragging. Just being straight with you. And how do you know my conscience should trouble me? Are you me? Are you God? Because that is between me and Him. Your involvement is unnecessary.

Best wishes, 2RM.

I'm not bragging. Just being straight with you. And how do you know my conscience should trouble me? Are you me? Are you God? Because that is between me and Him. Your involvement is unnecessary.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Thank you for your discourteous reply. You clearly demonstrate your attitude. And forget the "best wishes", as you clearly don't mean them.

I'm sure we agree somewhat.
But the bronze age Jews did come up with a unique idea.

Where they lived there existed a myriad of gods.
They had the idea that there was only one God.

And in our modern world, even many scientists have come to accept this idea.

Interesting.
True. Doesn't mean that there ever was a speaking serpent, though, or that human evolutionary heritage is not primate.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Thank you for your discourteous reply. You clearly demonstrate your attitude. And forget the "best wishes", as you clearly don't mean them.
C'mon, you started it, by suggesting you know what the state of my conscience should be.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:
God gave us minds and brains and discriminatory capacity. One can only presume He intended for us to use them. Besides, we only have the Bible's word that the Bible is the word of God. In other words the Bible is the word of God because the Bible says it is, and the Bible says it is because it is the word of God. This is a viciously circular argument, which is not to say it is necessarily false, only that it proves nothing.

Best wishes, 2RM.
The proof that the bible is the word of God is the eternal love at the end of it all.
Not to mention all the miraculous happenings in the different lessons.

In a perfect world there would be no cancer, or any other sickness or disease, either. So what would all our doctors and researchers do with their lives? And without the prospect of a cure for cancer and other diseases, there would be no incentive to discover how our bodies work, and we would just be ignorant, complacent and bored.

My answers may be short, but that is not because I have no interest in discussion, only because I do not like to ramble, and would prefer to make my points succinctly.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Ah. I see.
So you're talking about a heaven on earth.
Since it doesn't exist....
What is the point of discussing it?

Yes. It would be sooooo boring.
No worries about getting cancer.
No worries about a nuclear war.
No worries about finding out what makes us tick since we're perfect.

Yes.
That is sooooo boring.

What's the point anyway?
I've lost track...

I didn't say he was illiterate. I qualified the description with the word 'philosophically'. No one is under any compulsion to read any philosophy at all, of course, but if one wants to be respected in debate, it really is a good idea. But I take your point, and will try to be more polite henceforth.

Best wishes, 2RM.
I thank you for that. We try to respect each other, it makes for good discussions.

Illiterate means one cannot read or write.
I think you meant philosophically ignorant.
Now some may take that badly, but actually it would be a correct way of saying someone knows nothing about philosophy.

True. Doesn't mean that there ever was a speaking serpent, though, or that human evolutionary heritage is not primate.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Of course.
Genesis is not a book of science.
It was written to teach something that those old Hebrews thought they understood from the inspiration from God.
Re the human evolutionary heritage being primate...
It very well could be, but I don't see 100% agreement yet in the science world.
I just think the human body is too complicated to have come about on its own through evolution.

Take the eye.
What were animals doing while the eye was being formed?
Were they blind and then began to see a little at a time?
This doesn't seem to be so. Too many questions still out there.

I do think the big bang theory has given science something to chew on.
Are you aware that science had always stated that the universe always existed.
A big problem arose when it was discovered that it might have come about all of a sudden through some big bang.
And, alas, that has been proven.
So it sounds like Genesis: The beginning: Let there be light.
Interesting.

Of course.

Re the human evolutionary heritage being primate...
It very well could be, but I don't see 100% agreement yet in the science world.
I just think the human body is too complicated to have come about on its own through evolution.

Ah I see. The argument from personal incredulity. Fortunately, science has never, does not now, and will never, depend on it. And so, we continue to make scientific progress.

It is so sad Christianity is being left behind, when what is needed in the 21st century is a 21st century religion. Unless we all, and rapidly, upgrade the teaching, doctrine and dogma of conventional Christianity, I predict, at best a schism, but more likely the gradual collapse of the faith into irrelevance and obscurity. And that would be a shocking waste of Jesus' sacrifice, which is probably the noblest act of perfect love in all of history. Just because we prefer the ancient and familiar and discredited to the new and exciting and justified.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:
I thank you for that. We try to respect each other, it makes for good discussions.

Illiterate means one cannot read or write.
I think you meant philosophically ignorant.
Now some may take that badly, but actually it would be a correct way of saying someone knows nothing about philosophy.
I agree. But I did mean philosophically illiterate, which means one cannot or does not read or write philosophy. But I'd settle for philosophically ignorant, if a compromise is necessary. Anyway, I think it's time we moved on from this pedantic little skirmish.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:
Ah. I see.
So you're talking about a heaven on earth.
Since it doesn't exist....
What is the point of discussing it?

Yes. It would be sooooo boring.
No worries about getting cancer.
No worries about a nuclear war.
No worries about finding out what makes us tick since we're perfect.

Yes.
That is sooooo boring.

What's the point anyway?
I've lost track...
God's Kingdom on Earth seems like Heaven to me. I certainly find plenty to do here, what with the cosmic battle between good and evil and all that.

The point was, the question in the OP: Is the world perfect because it's imperfect?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Back