Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Issues??

College has been my biggest fear since I can remember. Life somehow has ways of making Christians forget that the word of God is the truth, not partying, or sin. But, I need help, what are some things you guys do to keep your faith going?

sunshineglory13
*But the Lord is faithful, who shall establish you, and guard you from the evil one.*

It's been a while, but I was there. Are you a freshman in college or is college to come?

I would highly advise that you seek out a church AND a student Christian Fellowship group as soon as possible. You no doubt will be rooming with students with varying backgrounds. Hopefully, you will get along well and become friends. That will make dorm life easier. It would be great if they have the same values that you do, but not likely in the college environment. Getting involved with, and making friends at, Christian student groups will help forge relationships that will support your walk and affirm your faith in your college days and help keep you accountable to a certain degree.

The friends you spend time with while you're away, making your own decisions, can make a big difference in a practical sense. Of course, be on guard and be in prayer. It's not all bad, but there's plenty of temptation when you're thrust out there on your own.

You are blessed to have this insight going in. Not all do. I didn't. :shame

I said heck with it in college and partied it up and hatted college, not because I drank to much but because I could not get a date. I am back in church now and getting married. College for me was several years ago. If I had it to do over I probably would not have choose a majority guy school so that I could have met a nice woman in college and got married. My soon to be wife and I always reminese that we wish we had met each other sooner in life. Your youth is your high sex drive years and it is most ideal to have a GOOD wife to enjoy thoes years with.

I always run back in my mind when I was at a college fair and the woman running the montana tech booth said the girls out numbered the boys (kind of her selling point), that was in 99 so you have to do your own research lol, I took an application but it never really sunk in. I wanted to go to the most presigious engineering school I could get into and graduate, well just FYI once you graduate no one really cares where you graduated from. I mean it matters a little if the hiring manager went there or something but it took me a year to find a job out of college in 04 even with a solid brand name. Make sure you major in what you want but go to a school with a disproportionate number of the opposite sex.

Last edited by a moderator:
College has been my biggest fear since I can remember. Life somehow has ways of making Christians forget that the word of God is the truth, not partying, or sin. But, I need help, what are some things you guys do to keep your faith going?

sunshineglory13
*But the Lord is faithful, who shall establish you, and guard you from the evil one.*

Hi Sunshine;

We're both new at this forum but I still want to say welcome to you!

Sunshine, the most important thing you need to do, starting now, is read your Bible. (Well, in my opinion anyway.) I know that sounds trite, but it really is what you need to concentrate on doing. I know you’ve heard that before, but when you get all caught up in your studies and all the other aspects of college life, it will be easy to forget to take the time to read. And I don’t mean reading a favorite verse here and there, and trying to remember what others have told you about that verse. I mean sit down and read an entire book as it is written, just like you would read any other book. Then go on to another book and do the same. You don’t have to start with Genesis (most people that start with Genesis get lost in the genealogies and never continue!), and you don’t have to read the books in any particular order. But once you start one book, read it all the way through so you get the real meaning and principles involved, and keep it all in context. If you have never done that, you might be surprised at what God actually has to say to us, and may be surprised at some things we have been told He says, but actually hasn’t said. J

Even if you have already read the entire Bible (don’t feel bad if you haven’t. The majority of Christians, even old time ones, haven’t read it all! Sad thing, isn’t it. But I digress;)) reading it book by book, like you would any other book, will re-enforce God’s word in your mind and put things in context. Then, when you are confronted with situations in the secular world, you will know the spiritual answers to how you should participate in them and how to react to them. You will know what God has said about principles that apply to your situation because you will remember reading it for yourself. With that “armor” firmly in your mind, you have nothing to fear in the secular world. In fact, you will be free to enjoy yourself and the situations you find yourself in without compromising your relationship with our Lord. God never intended for us to avoid the rest of the world. He just wants us to live in it by His principles and to be an example of Him to others we meet!

You are standing at the beginning of a wonderful opportunity to grow both mentally and spiritually, and you are going to gain insights that will last a lifetime. Grasp it for everything its worth and enjoy the ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
... what are some things you guys do to keep your faith going? ...

I come here to CF Net to keep my faith going. I also listen to a lot, and I mean A LOT, of Contemporary Christian music. It is like being preached to with music. I also try to do as the Lord has asked us. To help others and share His love.

Just keep it between you and God.

But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
(Matthew 6:3-4 NIV)

sunshineglory13

You become the company you keep even if only influenced to a minor degree. If you are having issues join a church group or bible study and surround yourself with more christian people and activities vs being surrounded by temptations.

Thank you all for the help. It is truly nice to have people that actually care enough to take time out of their day to help other people. The advice has already helped.

Back