Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

It is good not to marry

Classik

Why did Paul use 'good' and not 'better'?

"It is good for a man not to marry." (1 Corinthians 7:1)

It seems to suggest that getting married is bad! If something is not good - then it is bad. Couldn't Paul have said: It is better not to marry?

Any idea why 'good', and not 'bad', is a choice? All other versions I saw used 'good'.

Verse 9 says:

But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. (I see this is completely diffferent, looking at the context)

It seems to suggest that getting married is bad! If something is not good - then it is bad. Couldn't Paul have said: It is better not to marry?

Any idea why 'good', and not 'bad', is a choice? All other versions I saw used 'good'.

Verse 9 says:

But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. (I see this is completely diffferent, looking at the context)

I just posted this on the other thread and thought it would make sense to post it here too.

Those are Paul's own idea which Paul writes by his own - not something what God said or inspired by Holy Spirit as we see in verse 6 of the same chapter. (1Cor 7:6) I say this as a concession, not as a command.

Forbid people to marry is a doctrine of demons:
(1Tim 4:1-3) The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.

Paul must have referred Gen 2:18 before he is suggesting something which is clearly wrong:
(Gen 2:18) The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."

(Prov 18:22) [He who] finds a wife finds a good [thing,] And obtains favor from the LORD.

People who take Paul's words don't realize that by doing so, they reject God's Word and His idea for mankind.

We must also understand that these writing are just letters - which I compare to the letter of a missionary to his churches. These are not Words of God to be taken as such. These must be compared to scripture to make sure God didn't say otherwise. If God had said otherwise, then the idea/topic in that letter must be rejected to give weight to God's Word.

Thanks, Felix.
I strongly believe in the 'Be fruitful and multiply the earth' instruction. (I don't disregard Paul)

I have noticed that some Rev. Fathers and Sisters are really living in bondage. I'm sorry to say.

Thank God that our family friend, a female, just left the 'Sister thing' after she had a problem with one of the female leaders. She was asked to live.what was her offence? The jealous leader said she was a proud girl.

God honoured the prayer.
Her family did not like the idea at all - they prayed against it. God heard us. And I believe this girl is happy today.

I'm not saying it's wrong to be a rev.

Better get married rather than messing around (We've heard alot what happens among the rev sisters and fathers. Some sisters are living in sexual immorality with the fathers.....). The majority are pure, I know

I'm thinking Paul had a nagging wife. It's a funny thing to consider that most of the apostles and early church leaders were probably married, yet the only one we know to be married was Peter; and we only know about his being married because his mother in law is healed. Heck, it's even possible (though doubtful) that Jesus was married. I think if he had a wife though, that would have made it into the Bible.

You're funny, Nationalist. Christ was never married.

Don't you think people would begin worshipping his half-man-hald-God children? :lol

I'm thinking Paul had a nagging wife. It's a funny thing to consider that most of the apostles and early church leaders were probably married, yet the only one we know to be married was Peter; and we only know about his being married because his mother in law is healed. Heck, it's even possible (though doubtful) that Jesus was married. I think if he had a wife though, that would have made it into the Bible.

Jesus is going to get married and His church is His wife. Read Rev 21.

But he does refer to it as being 'better' later in the passage (at least in the NIV):

"...he who marries the virgin does right, but he who does not marry her does even better.[" (1 Cor. 7: NIV1984)

Paul must have referred Gen 2:18 before he is suggesting something which is clearly wrong:
(Gen 2:18) The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."

(Prov 18:22) [He who] finds a wife finds a good [thing,] And obtains favor from the LORD.

People who take Paul's words don't realize that by doing so, they reject God's Word and His idea for mankind.

We must also understand that these writing are just letters - which I compare to the letter of a missionary to his churches. These are not Words of God to be taken as such. These must be compared to scripture to make sure God didn't say otherwise. If God had said otherwise, then the idea/topic in that letter must be rejected to give weight to God's Word.
You are very wrong here to say Paul was offering wrong advice. Paul did not offer his counsel as a command, but as the counsel of "one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy" (1 Cor. 7: NIV1984).

He makes it clear you are free to either marry or not marry. He's not telling anybody to not get married but offering godly counsel and guidance into making the decision for yourself--and why it would be good not to. To say it's not inspired by God, and could never be, is to say it would be impossible for God to offer the same counsel. He concludes the passage with another assurance of the spiritual inspiration of his counsel:

"...and I think that I too have the Spirit of God." (1 Cor. 7:40 NIV1984)

Thanks, Felix.
I strongly believe in the 'Be fruitful and multiply the earth' instruction. (I don't disregard Paul)

I have noticed that some Rev. Fathers and Sisters are really living in bondage. I'm sorry to say.

Thank God that our family friend, a female, just left the 'Sister thing' after she had a problem with one of the female leaders. She was asked to live.what was her offence? The jealous leader said she was a proud girl.

God honoured the prayer.
Her family did not like the idea at all - they prayed against it. God heard us. And I believe this girl is happy today.

I'm not saying it's wrong to be a rev.

Better get married rather than messing around (We've heard alot what happens among the rev sisters and fathers. Some sisters are living in sexual immorality with the fathers.....). The majority are pure, I know
In all fairness to the Catholics, they do stress that the vow of celibacy taken is voluntary. But I do have a problem with making a voluntary vow a condition for being in the ministry. We know that to be unBiblical from Paul's instructions on appointing elders.

In all fairness to the Catholics, they do stress that the vow of celibacy taken is voluntary. But I do have a problem with making a voluntary vow a condition for being in the ministry. We know that to be unBiblical from Paul's instructions on appointing elders.

And that is the reason many of them are really hurting. :sad
There are indeed strong ones:nod

<SUP>One thing that is good to remember in 1 Cor. 7, Paul offered a lot of suggestion and advice, using words like should, better, good, etc., only when he gave command did he state it was from the Lord, the rest his suggestion based on the present crisis vs 26. </SUP>"Because of the present crisis, I think that it is good for a man to remain as he is."<SUP> </SUP>
<SUP></SUP>
<SUP>Read the chapter carefully, pay attention to where he gives command and offers suggestion. Most believe the crisis Paul spoke of was the Second Advent of Christ.</SUP><SUP> Paul was writing based on his belief that the Lord would shortly return and believed people should be preparing for that, not getting married or concerned for worldly matters..</SUP>
<SUP></SUP>
<SUP id=en-NIV-28517 class=versenum>29</SUP> What I mean, brothers and sisters, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they do not; <SUP id=en-NIV-28518 class=versenum>30</SUP> those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; <SUP id=en-NIV-28519 class=versenum>31</SUP> those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.
<SUP id=en-NIV-28520 class=versenum>32</SUP> I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs—
<SUP></SUP>
<SUP></SUP><SUP></SUP>
<SUP></SUP>
<SUP> </SUP>

Last edited by a moderator:
You are very wrong here to say Paul was offering wrong advice. Paul did not offer his counsel as a command, but as the counsel of "one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy" (1 Cor. 7: NIV1984).

He makes it clear you are free to either marry or not marry. He's not telling anybody to not get married but offering godly counsel and guidance into making the decision for yourself--and why it would be good not to. To say it's not inspired by God, and could never be, is to say it would be impossible for God to offer the same counsel. He concludes the passage with another assurance of the spiritual inspiration of his counsel:

"...and I think that I too have the Spirit of God." (1 Cor. 7:40 NIV1984)

It is impossible for God to offer the same counsel because God already gave another counsel in Genesis and prophets does confirm it by giving the same advise as God.

The purpose of us created is not to 'worship' (I am not saying we must not but speaking in context with purpose of our creation) but to 'rule' the earth with God. One of the first commandments to mankind is to be fruitful and fill the earth. Only the devil goes against God's purpose for mankind by giving wrong counsel.

I cannot take Paul's letter to have more weight over the prophets, psalms and God's own words.

Again, Paul felt so strongly that the Lord would return any day that he stated the world was in "present crisis" He offered advice based on his feelings of Christ Second advent that he felt could happen any day, that it would happen soon. Through most of his writings we can see his views that Christ would return, so he offered much suggestion that people shouldn't marry, virgins should remain, etc...

Obvious his advice would've been much different had he known Christ wasn't returning in his lifetime or generations to come.

Much of the NT is about getting and staying married, why would Paul contradict that later, only because he thought Christ would be returning any day. The entire Chapter 7 is basically written with the intent of the Lord's soon return.

It is impossible for God to offer the same counsel because God already gave another counsel in Genesis and prophets does confirm it by giving the same advise as God.

The purpose of us created is not to 'worship' (I am not saying we must not but speaking in context with purpose of our creation) but to 'rule' the earth with God. One of the first commandments to mankind is to be fruitful and fill the earth. Only the devil goes against God's purpose for mankind by giving wrong counsel.

I cannot take Paul's letter to have more weight over the prophets, psalms and God's own words.
If God meant for what he said to Adam and Eve to be binding commands on all humans then it would be a sin for all people to not get married and not have children. That is just plain ridiculous. And I think you're going pretty far out on a limb to suggest Paul is a false teacher.

If God meant for what he said to Adam and Eve to be binding commands on all humans then it would be a sin for all people to not get married and not have children. That is just plain ridiculous. And I think you're going pretty far out on a limb to suggest Paul is a false teacher.

This same Paul in another letter to Timothy specifically mentioned 'forbidding to marry' is a doctrine of demons as in 1Tim 4:1-4.

I did not say Paul was a false teacher. I said, what he said on that chapter is his own words and not God's or inspired by God - They could be a good advise but not that what God wants. As Ace1234 pointed out, the context of Paul advising not to get married is because of his own thoughts about Christ's second coming which he was preparing his church and expecting anytime in his lifetime.

People who do not get married and have children inspite of their ability, just don't obey and fulfill God's purpose in Genesis (I am not including anyone who is not able to). Concluding whether it is a sin to reject God's purpose for mankind is not mine but it could very well be a doctrine of demons.

This same Paul in another letter to Timothy specifically mentioned 'forbidding to marry' is a doctrine of demons as in 1Tim 4:1-4.

I did not say Paul was a false teacher. I said, what he said on that chapter is his own words and not God's or inspired by God - They could be a good advise but not that what God wants. As Ace1234 pointed out, the context of Paul advising not to get married is because of his own thoughts about Christ's second coming which he was preparing his church and expecting anytime in his lifetime.

People who do not get married and have children inspite of their ability, just don't obey and fulfill God's purpose in Genesis (I am not including anyone who is not able to). Concluding whether it is a sin to reject God's purpose for mankind is not mine but it could very well be a doctrine of demons.

What denomination do you adhere to? Where do you get this stuff from? The words you spew are very un-Biblical here. To state that Paul's words are not inspired by God, is to slander the words of Christ.

Paul makes it very clear, why it is good that one, NOT marry.

1 Corinthians 7:32-35 (ESV)
I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. But the married man is anxious about worldly things, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. And the unmarried or betrothed woman is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. But the married woman is anxious about worldly things, how to please her husband. I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord.

Matthew 19:12 (ESV)
Some are born as eunuchs, some have been made eunuchs by others, and some choose not to marry for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven. Let anyone accept this who can."

I did not say Paul was a false teacher. I said, what he said on that chapter is his own words and not God's or inspired by God - They could be a good advise but not that what God wants.
Felix, if it was not what God wants, that would make Paul a false teacher. Paul is making a spiritual judgment. Which he has to, because there is no single answer to the question of marriage. It is not a command of God to be married. That is why Paul has to make an authoritative, spiritual judgment about the matter that we can apply to ourselves individually.

As Ace1234 pointed out, the context of Paul advising not to get married is because of his own thoughts about Christ's second coming which he was preparing his church and expecting anytime in his lifetime.
While that is a probably a good motivation for Paul's instruction I believe the true message and intent of the passage is verse 23...

"23 You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men." (1 Corinthians 7:23 NIV1984)

Surely, this would be all the more important as the opportunity to work for the kingdom draws to a close. The point is, Paul says we can be more committed to the Lord if we avoid relationships in marriage, work, and religion that divide the time and resources we could be devoting to the work of the Lord. That is the main lesson of the passage. A lesson given in response to the questions the Corinthians had asked him about "the matters you wrote about" (vs.1).

People who do not get married and have children inspite of their ability, just don't obey and fulfill God's purpose in Genesis (I am not including anyone who is not able to).
God's purposes are fulfilled when people get married and have kids, but that doesn't make it a command that must be fulfilled.

Concluding whether it is a sin to reject God's purpose for mankind is not mine but it could very well be a doctrine of demons.
We don't have to try to discern whether or not it's a sin to not get married and have children. Paul clearly helps us know for ourselves if it's okay to not be married...or married for that matter.

There is no way possible that he could counsel the church (direct inspiration or not is not the issue) that a person can not marry if indeed God commanded all people to be married. If he did that, even in his own counsel, that would make him a false teacher.

What denomination do you adhere to? Where do you get this stuff from?

I consider myself non-denominational. I was going to a Baptist church in Brisbane, a Assembly of God church in Canberra and Salvation Army in Adelaide. In my childhood, I went to Church of South India which is not really a denomination but can be compared to Anglican or Lutheran.

Where do I get this stuff from? I don't understand this question. You probably need to come out of the denominational teachings, wipe of everything they said and read, learn and question every verse in the Scripture with a rational mind with the help of Holy Spirit which allows Him to answer every question we ask.

The words you spew are very un-Biblical here. To state that Paul's words are not inspired by God, is to slander the words of Christ.

Paul makes it very clear, why it is good that one, NOT marry.

1 Corinthians 7:32-35 (ESV)
I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. But the married man is anxious about worldly things, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. And the unmarried or betrothed woman is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. But the married woman is anxious about worldly things, how to please her husband. I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord.

Matthew 19:12 (ESV)
Some are born as eunuchs, some have been made eunuchs by others, and some choose not to marry for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven. Let anyone accept this who can."

Did you notice 1 Corinthians 7:32 states that Paul want the church - not what God wants.

ESV is not a Bible after reading what you quoted. It is an opinion of translators as we can see the translators changed 'there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs' into 'some choose not to marry' which is changing the words and meanings itself.

Not marrying is very much different from being an eunuch - hence, I just advise to throw ESV into bin for it's twisting words and changing the meaning. You can still be unmarried and yet commit adultery and also involve in sexual immorality which voids the statements told by Christ.

As in Matt 19:11, "All cannot accept this saying, but only [those] to whom it has been given. and in v12 Christ clearly mentions the people who are given.
  • Born as eunuchs
  • Made as eunuchs by others
  • Become eunuchs by themselves
In my previous post, I clearly mentioned that I excluded all who does not have the ability to marry and have children which of course excludes all eunuchs.

FYI, eunuchs in Jesus time have their genitals removed who cannot have any sexual relations. This must not be compared to just castration of modern times (family planning).

Secondly, 1 Corinthians 7:32-35 is Paul's own opinion - not God's. Paul is neither quoting God nor describing a vision or prophecy. He is writing a letter with advise in it to his church. This advise is in no way quoting the words of Christ or related. Christ no where mentions about being unmarried is what God wants. A married person can still become a eunuch after having children.

Paul did not say that it is from God. If that is the case, is God contradicting Himself through Paul by inspiring him to advise not marry and then inspires this same Paul to say that forbidding to marry is a doctrine of demons?

Felix, if it was not what God wants, that would make Paul a false teacher

Paul rebukes Peter in Galatians 2 for his wrong teaching. Does this makes him a false teacher?

God's purposes are fulfilled when people get married and have kids, but that doesn't make it a command that must be fulfilled.

(Gen 1:28) Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

Does this look like a suggestion to you which can be rejected?

Verse 9 says:

[36] If any one thinks that he is not behaving properly toward his betrothed, if his passions are strong, and it has to be, let him do as he wishes: let them marry -- it is no sin.
[37] But whoever is firmly established in his heart, being under no necessity but having his desire under control, and has determined this in his heart, to keep her as his betrothed, he will do well.
[38] So that he who marries his betrothed does well; and he who refrains from marriage will do better. 1 Cor 7:36-38 RSV

Back