Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

It is good not to marry

Why did Paul use 'good' and not 'better'?

It seems to suggest that getting married is bad! If something is not good - then it is bad. Couldn't Paul have said: It is better not to marry?

Any idea why 'good', and not 'bad', is a choice? All other versions I saw used 'good'.

Verse 9 says:

But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. (I see this is completely diffferent, looking at the context)

As the Scritpure states in my last post, not only is it good not marry, if you have your desire under control, it is BETTER not to marry. Of course, if you choose this path, you must keep your hands off your betrothed (1 Cor 7:1).

Paul rebukes Peter in Galatians 2 for his wrong teaching. Does this makes him a false teacher?
Peter was not rebuked for his teaching. He was rebuked for being hypocritical. This being true, what do you suppose that meant in regard to what he taught?

(Gen 1:28) Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

Does this look like a suggestion to you which can be rejected?
Yes.

As the Scritpure states in my last post, not only is it good not marry, if you have your desire under control, it is BETTER not to marry. Of course, if you choose this path, you must keep your hands off your betrothed (1 Cor 7:1).
Would the other person still be your 'betrothed' if you decided not to marry them? Let that one keep you up at 3:00 in the morning wondering.

ok well that verse is a command to the first audience but the jews then and today do say that man is more of a jew when he is married and a marriage is good.

...the jews then and today do say that man is more of a jew when he is married and a marriage is good.
I wonder if that goes back to their belief that the completeness of man is man and woman together, in accordance with Genesis referring to Adam and Eve, together, as 'man' if I'm not mistaken.

I wonder if that goes back to their belief that the completeness of man is man and woman together, in accordance with Genesis referring to Adam and Eve, together, as 'man' if I'm not mistaken.
i believe it does but im not sure. i will say that technically only adam was made in the image of god and the woman was made in adams image.

its a minor difference but if we digress here. ok adam ere the creation of eve was complete, he was divided so to speak and with the marriage there a replay of the concept of the trinity.

the short version.

Back