Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Its all in the translation!

Ed the Ned

In starting this topic I must admit it can become a a war of words literally. I am just concerned about the way we look at the Bible depending on the translation that we study from. When the KJV was translated there were not many denominations and Christian community churches where the translators were influenced by perceptions. They pretty much just had to translate. When we look at more modern translations we find that modern language has caused the the translators to have to explain themselves in terms of their translation. This is when the translators justify the translation as a translation and not just a paraphrase of the Bible. When reading a modern translation like the NLT, which I enjoy reading, there seem to be a lot of sub notes giving alternate words to the words used in the translation. I am no Bible scholar or theologian so I am putting myself at the mercy of someone else's perceptions if they have influenced the translation. The point of this thread is to get others insight into the way they study the Bible and to what extent they use multiple versions to clarify the verse given?
I currently use the NLT to read when I need time to read the Bible, but when studying the Bible I use the NKJV (John Macarthur study Bible) and the ESV, I will some times read individual verses in the KJV. I also have a copy of the NIV study Bible where I will make reference to the study notes.

NB! Please don't turn this into a mud slinging match over Bible versions, that is not the purpose of this thread and from my personal perspective I don't consider "THE MESSAGE" a biblical translation or a good read. I feel it has major flaws and needs to be avoided. I would also like to make note that the TLB (The living Bible) is not deemed a translation and is a paraphrase from the ASV (American Standard Version). Yet I noticed from the NLT translation explanation that the author of the TLB was involved in its translation.

Hi Ed. I own the KJV, the NIV, the NLT, and the Amplified bible. When I study, i like to use all of these translations. Lately, I've been going to a website that reads to you in the actual Hebrew and Greek languages, and then (supposedly) translates, as closely as possible, word for word to English. Recently I have actually threatened just to learn Greek and Hebrew myself
However, since God knows that the Bible is the only "proof" we have of Him, I would hope that He would not allow defiled translations to be published.

Ed the Ned

I use a variety of Bibles. I have many physical Bibles including the KJV, NIV, NLT, NCV, NAB, GNB. And not being biased against the translation as some are, I have a NWT. I might read any particular version as the Spirit leads. The KJV is my primary Bible. Not because I believe that it is the best Bible, but because I understand it and it is connected to so many resources.

I also use three, what are to me excellent and inexpensive programs, for the computer. The Online Bible, the bought version being the best. It has a slew of versions if one wishes to use them, as well as good Hebrew and Greek dictionaries, and many writings from the Protestant perspective. I also use Wordsearch 7 Greek New Testament Interlinear Bible. This is exactly what it says and also is connected to what I believe to be Strong’s Greek dictionary. And I use The Ultimate Bible Reference Library. It includes such translations as the NLT, NCV, NAB, and GNB as well as the usual, such as KJV, NKJV, RSV, and the NRSV. The Online Bible computer program must be bought from the company on the internet. Or one can download a lesser version for free from the site. I think that the other two programs are still available from CBD. It must be noted that the first and third programs include such translatins as the NASB and the NIV, but they must be paid for separately in order to unlock them. I did pay to unlock these two particular versions on the Online Bible because they are cheaper. But I think that their version of the NLT may be the 1st edition translated in 1996 rather than the 2nd edition translated in 2004. The NKJV and the ESV are included unlocked in the program itself.

I would like to recommend two other very good computer programs that one can download for free from the net. One is E-Sword, and the other is ISA 2 basic. The latter is a very good interlinear that includes both the Old and New Testaments. And both programs include Hebrew and Greek dictionaries.

JamesG

I own more Bible versions than I could count. My preference is the KJV; however, I use the Sword Bible version, which makes the older language easy. I also read Hebrew and Greek. One might think, that with this Bible language knowledge, I would not have that much problem clarifying what is said in a verse. No-- it's still just as hard, especially in later Hebrew like Jeremiah and Ezekiel.

People say the KJV is difficult because of the old language. I think it is difficult at times because the original text is often very hard to understand itself due to the idiom and old language, and the KJV translators did not have the objective of keeping the text simple for the reader, but they were trying for the closest equivalent. It's true that modern versions do often seem easy to understand, but my problem with that ease in reading is, too often it is actually based on unverified assumptions.

In truth, I think there is only one real way to understand a verse. One has to have a deep desire to understand it, pray hard to the Holy Spirit for that understanding, and pursue a study of the meaning intensely. That's what really counts.... not how many translations one has consulted.

If I have trouble with a verse, I will look at the Hebrew or Greek, and if I am still having trouble, I will look at some modern translations,( but for the most part I am suspicious of them... they have let me down too, too many times). I will keep looking at the original text, translations, and then, I might start looking at some commentary. Eventually, I come up with a meaning that satisfies me, but it is often a long hard struggle. That is just the way it is. But that is also why God appointed teachers in the church, to help out with what is hard to understand. He has his reasons for how he does things.

I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest a good side-by-side Bible. I heard a guy on the radio suggest one he highly recommended with the original text on one side and some sort of modern translation on the other. I was driving and couldn't write it down, and by the time I got home, I forgot. His end point was that the translation didn't change anything of real substance, only words and phrases that didn't change the meaning of the scripture. This was to refute those to say the Bible is useless because it's been changed from the original text.

He did have some overall good points in the value of reading a side-by-side. It does seem like it would be an interesting way to study, but I don't know how it could be done. I can't read Aramaic or Greek, so how would I read a side-by-side?

I've always used the NIV. I have no problem with other translations. I just really can't follow along with scripture as I'm reading my NIV and someone else is reading another version out loud.
:lol

Back