Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Jesus as a Bodhisattva

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
soma said:
I am talking about one true God. That is Christianity. God the Father Almighty. To talk about other gods, false gods is to create those gods because there is only one God. There can't be two. I am saying to be Christian is to worship God the Father, not give energy, creedance, and descriptions to other gods that don't exist.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it is New Age. If someone talks about Christianity in modern terms reaching young and old doesn't mean it is New Age. If you don't understand Christianity on a deep level or New Age even on a shallow level don't make proclamations as if you were an expert.
Firstly, I never made a proclamation like I was an expert. Perhaps you should re-read where I stated "it appears like". Secondly, you should be careful about implying that I don't "understand Christianity on a deep level or New Age even on a shallow level". That is a sign of spiritual pride, not spirituality.

You stated: "A belief in the unity of all things provides the mind directed to this one God with life".

Perhaps you should explain that because that sounds distinct from Christian spirituality.

And the one true God is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, not just God the Father. That is the Christian God.

soma said:
Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it is New Age. If someone talks about Christianity in modern terms reaching young and old doesn't mean it is New Age. If you don't understand Christianity on a deep level or New Age even on a shallow level don't make proclamations as if you were an expert.
Yes, Soma, many here appear to be on rather different pages.

Loren Michael said:
Lonelyguide said:
It goes "a bit" further than that, Loren. :)

Created in His image has no bearing on your form. It has a bearing on the Light inside of you ... your Soul. That Soul was created in His image, is His child, and is capable of things that are beyond your wildest imagenings.

i made no claim to the contrary.

i said that men are not gods. do you disagree with this?
As far as I can see, nothing of what I said in this or, for that matter, in any other thread could lead to that conclusion. Why do you ask?

Free said:
Sin is "missing the mark," a sign of imperfection.
Sins are lacks of love.

Sin is a lack of love

I like that great post. Let us inspiror each other with positive post about God. The trinity, three aspects of one God or one aspect of God. In this way we will all grow closer to God and love. Let us praise the Lord and not bash others.

Lonelyguide said:
Free said:
Sin is "missing the mark," a sign of imperfection.
Sins are lacks of love.
As I stated, sin literally means "to miss the mark" and cannot be reduced so simply to a "lack of love". It is imperfection and as such, we are not perfect as you claim. A lack of love is sin, but sin isn't necessarily a lack of love.

May I ask you something, Free?

Do you believe that the NEED to be right comes from ego or from Holy Spirit?

Are you implying that I need to be right? If that is so, you are very wrong. I have been answering you with Scripture which you do not seem to want to accept. I think I should be the one asking the question.

i hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but this seemed so pertinant to what we were just talking about: LOL

Are you implying that I need to be right? If that is so, you are very wrong. I have been answering you with Scripture which you do not seem to want to accept. I think I should be the one asking the question.

Have you REALLY looked into Buddhism Free?

Have you rad about the MANY different sects and beliefs of this culture?

I hope you are not just going off Christian apologetic biased websites....

Soma,

Yes I have read about Buddhism though likely not as much as you. But I have read enough to know that although there are many different sects, at the core they are very much the same (at least based on the same fundamental teachings) and it is there that they differ from Christianity so as to be incompatible with it.

Free said:
Yes I have read about Buddhism though likely not as much as you. But I have read enough to know that although there are many different sects, at the core they are very much the same (at least based on the same fundamental teachings) and it is there that they differ from Christianity so as to be incompatible with it.
I take it then, Free, that you may not have read e.g. the Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita or the Ashtavakra Samheeta, but do you have more than a passing familiarity with ACIM and its approach to the teachings of Christ?

I take it then, Free, that you may not have read e.g. the Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita or the Ashtavakra Samheeta, but do you have more than a passing familiarity with ACIM and its approach to the teachings of Christ?

I am going to research that ACIM now....

Thanks for that info by the way.

The only criterion for truth in a Christian forum is the bible.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Lonelyguide said:
I have only had brief encounters with the Upanishads and Bhagavad Gita in my studies, but I have never heard of ACIM. However, the following quote raises a red flag:

"Consequently, even though the language of the Course is that of traditional Christianity, it expresses a non-sectarian, non-denominational spirituality. A Course in Miracles therefore is a universal spiritual teaching, not a religion."

One ought to be very wary of new claims to revelation or "approaches to the teachings of Christ". One could claim this for Mormons, JWs, and a host of other more recent religions and beliefs. I believe there is truth outside of Holy Scripture, but it is Holy Scripture which is to the fullest revelation of the Light of God which provides the standard by which other beliefs are to be compared.

It is the lack of the full Light and the presence of shadow and darkness in other teachings which makes them detrimental to one's spiritual life and eternal life in Christ. Besides, I highly doubt there is any truth in other religions which cannot be found in Christianity. This makes a search for truth and spirituality outside of Christianity pointless and dangerous from a practical perspective even though it makes for interesting study.

Free said:
However, the following quote raises a red flag:
The French say "fais bien et laisse dire" or, "do well and let people talk."

My dear Free ... I've never allowed others to make up my mind for me and when it came to Truth I have always listened to only one voice ... the one within. What do you think? Should we allow others to do our thinking and deciding for us or were we perhaps given a mind and a will to do these things ourselves?

Free said:
I believe there is truth outside of Holy Scripture
So do I, and since it was given to us for a reason greater than the biases of mere mortals I will not let those biases prevent me from sampling all of it.

Free said:
It is the lack of the full Light and the presence of shadow and darkness in other teachings which makes them detrimental to one's spiritual life
I am sorry, Free, but this kind of language is primarily used by those whose only aim is control ... thought control. Of course, one should beware of half truths, but you are too intelligent to parrot that kind of nonsense. How, pray tell, can darkness possibly survive where Light enters? I guess that the only way to find out then is to read ACIM yourself, isn't it?

"One ought to be very wary of new claims to revelation or "approaches to the teachings of Christ".

Intelligent design is a good example. It must be new age. It definitely is not in the Bible.

The bible is the final authority for faith and practice.

The Holy Spirit does not contradict Himself.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Lonelyguide said:
The French say "fais bien et laisse dire" or, "do well and let people talk."

My dear Free ... I've never allowed others to make up my mind for me and when it came to Truth I have always listened to only one voice ... the one within. What do you think? Should we allow others to do our thinking and deciding for us or were we perhaps given a mind and a will to do these things ourselves?
But of course, you are the spiritual one who "truly thinks for yourself," while anyone who disagrees is having their thinking done for them. And this proves another point I have made, whether in this thread or another I do not remember. Where is the humility? Your spirituality is leaving you spiritually proud; this is not a sign of Christian spirituality.

Of course I think for myself, as do most Christians. You falsely presume that to beleive in orthodoxy is to not think, but this is contrary to biblical teaching. We are to be orthodox and we are to think. On what basis do you make such an assumption? Simply because people disagree with you? Your supposed "free thinking" will lead you away from Christ, not to him.

Let me ask you something: You claim to be free to think while implying that those who adhere to Christian orthodoxy don't think for themselves. Could it just be that when you were told or taught about Christianity that you didn't think for yourself and that is why you haven't come to the right conclusions about it? Perhaps it is your lack of understanding of Christianity that has actually enslaved your mind to things that Christ would not approve of.

You see, claims such as the one you made can go both ways, so they really do nobody any good.

Lonelyguide said:
So do I, and since it was given to us for a reason greater than the biases of mere mortals I will not let those biases prevent me from sampling all of it.
As I stated, the full truth is in Holy Scripture and any truth you find in another religion can be found in Christianity, so there really is no reason to look elsewhere. I would argue that the reason there are truths in other religions is to lead one to Christ, to lead them out of false belief systems. You should read Romans 1.

Lonelyguide said:
I am sorry, Free, but this kind of language is primarily used by those whose only aim is control ... thought control. Of course, one should beware of half truths, but you are too intelligent to parrot that kind of nonsense. How, pray tell, can darkness possibly survive where Light enters? I guess that the only way to find out then is to read ACIM yourself, isn't it?
It's called deception. Satan uses it all the time as is seen in the temptation of Christ. He can even quote truths from Scripture, but it has his own dark twist. Truth in other religions is like a single candle burning, it doesn't illuminate much. The truth and Light of Christ is like the sun, everything gets illuminated.

Finding pieces of truth in other religions does not mean that their belief system is right or that it will lead to God. Everything that one needs, that one searches for outside of Christianity can be found within, but salvation can only be found through belief in Christ as laid out in Holy Scripture.

Loren Michael said:
bibleberean said:

forgive my ignorance, but how is this known?
It is a logical deduction based on the nature and character of God.

Free said:
Loren Michael said:
bibleberean said:

forgive my ignorance, but how is this known?
It is a logical deduction based on the nature and character of God.

i'm not trying to be tricky here (though i feel like it, i'm sorry), but isn't god purported to operate outside the realm of logic? like... god could contradict himself if he wanted to. there's no god watching over god, and god works in mysterious ways, and whatnot. (i thought). i see no problem with that.

Back