Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Jesus as a Bodhisattva

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I agree. Appreciating that God created all things, Christians transform their conscience to one of unity and harmony that attracts health and good fortune. A belief in the unity of all things provides the mind directed to this one God with life, meaning and power because it can rest and recharge the batteries of one’s physical and mental processes so it can better pursue life with renewed energy and clearer thought. The mind functions better with thoughts that there is only one, living and omnipresent God because it is not afraid. To understand and have honest relationships our minds need to be in a state of relaxation and to be able to access the deepest spiritual experience because the mind can understand and accept things, when it believes God created everything in unity with all things. This spiritual truth with sufficient evidence renews the mind and increases it’s capacity to grow in the conceptual knowledge of God.

Lonelyguide said:
bibleberean said:
1 Corinthians 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

A person that sit's by and says nothing to the lost is a sorry excuse for a Christian.

I agree. But also for a few other reasons:

To have Peace one must be Peace. To be/have Peace one must learn Peace and to learn Peace one must teach it.
To have Love one must be Love. To be/have Love one must learn Love and to learn Love one must teach it.

Teaching is also good for those who still need to learn. As you teach, however, so will you learn and fear and tyranny aren't good teachers. That is not how Jesus and/or Holy Spirit teach.
Your reasoning actually makes little sense since it means that one must teach what they do not know, whether peace, love, faith, or whatever. How can one teach out of ignorance and say anything meaningful about the topic of which they speak?

You really have things in reverse order. It should read:

To teach peace one must have/be peace. To have peace one must learn peace and to learn peace one must be taught peace.

Would you say that "To have Faith one must be Faith. To be/have Faith one must learn Faith and to learn Faith one must teach it?" Is that a fair assumption based on your above reasoning?

Romans 10:14-17, "14 But how are they to call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news! 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us? 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ."

soma,

There is no need to try to drown others preaching about false gods when the light and joy of One God is always present. Some people put false gods before the true god by talking about them over and over again.
It appears that you are attempting to join "New Age" spirituality with Christianity when Christianity is quite distinct from such ideas. Also, implied in your statement is that you and others in here are preaching about false gods.

If people continue to ignore the Light and Truth of the One True God and preach false gods, then it becomes necessary to preach against these false gods until the Light reveals the Truth. Only then, and not always, will others then listen to what God is really saying.

Free said:
Would you say that "To have Faith one must be Faith. To be/have Faith one must learn Faith and to learn Faith one must teach it?" Is that a fair assumption based on your above reasoning?

Leaving aside silly equations (one can e.g. have a bicycle, but it would be "a bit" hard to be one, wouldn't it? :)) ... in the other realm, Free, "having" and "being" describe exactly the same state, i.e. they don't exist as separate states. In our realm they do ...

Free said:
You really have things in reverse order.

No, Free. I understand why, within the upside-down perspective which many of us here have, this may appear to be the case, but you must remember that of ourselves we know nothing. By "teaching" we merely externalise the little we had internalised and bring it out into the open for all to see ...

... and it is during these instances ... if we are open ... that we may truly see what it is that we are "teaching" and this is the moment when Holy Spirit can guide us. Thus, while "teaching," we are gradually taught. The fact that our Father has created us perfect does not imply that, within this realm, our manifestations are without error or that those manifestations cannot be improved. They can be!

Lonelyguide said:
Free said:
You really have things in reverse order.
No, Free. I understand why, within the upside-down perspective which many of us here have, this may appear to be the case, but you must remember that of ourselves we know nothing. By "teaching" we merely externalise the little we had internalised and bring it out into the open for all to see ...

... and it is during these instances ... if we are open ... that we may truly see what it is that we are "teaching" and this is the moment when Holy Spirit can guide us. Thus, while "teaching," we are gradually taught. The fact that our Father has created us perfect does not imply that, within this realm, our manifestations are without error or that those manifestations cannot be improved. They can be!
But again, one cannot teach what they do not know. Trying to teach things of which one is ignorant leads to all sorts of error. One learns by hearing others who have studied and been taught, as well as through intensive self-study.

You also seem to be contradiction yourself - you claim we know nothing, yet claim that we need to teach the "little we had internalised". Not only that, where do we even get the "little we had internalised"? What do you mean by this?

And I don't think that we are created perfect, that is not in Scripture.

I think what is being pointed out is that knowledge of Love is the kind of knowledge that must be EXPERIENCED. Love is more than abstract ideas or concepts, you don't KNOW love just by sitting down and studying it.

To know love, to experience love, one must let love flow through them, but love isn't complete unitl it is given, so it must flow through us unto others. By acting in love, we teach love, we experience love, and then we truly can say that we KNOW love.

Free said:
But again, one cannot teach what they do not know. Trying to teach things of which one is ignorant leads to all sorts of error.

I concur. That, nevertheless, is what many, if not most, appear to be doing ... here and everywhere ... with the consequences you mention.

Free said:
One learns by hearing others who have studied and been taught, as well as through intensive self-study.

Yes, self-study may result in self-knowledge and self-knowledge is the beginning of all wisdom. There are many ways of learning. Some constitute learning and some constitute un-learning. Especially during later phases of life, the latter more often than not is the most potent and the most valuable form, because true learning often involves letting go and the return to innocence. What many appear to forget is that learning ... true learning ... involves change ... sometimes radical change ... life-altering change ... and therefore precisely change is what many fear. Even on less subconscious levels they will resist change and anything or anyone who is the bringer of that change. Often the ego will lead many astray and may prevent them from recognising and listening to those who are more knowledgeable.

Free said:
You also seem to be contradicting yourself - you claim we know nothing, yet claim that we need to teach the "little we had internalised". Not only that, where do we even get the "little we had internalised"? What do you mean by this?

In an absolute sense, we Know nothing "down here." All we do is perceive. With "the little we have internalised" I refer to human knowledge.

Free said:

Believe me, we are. But time is tight and I have to dash. Another time perhaps.

Free said:
Your reasoning actually makes little sense
I know that some of the things which I am trying to share here may sound a little strange at first. Whenever you are led to believe this, Free, you may have come across a phenomenon where the underlying knowledge required to grasp what my words were trying to convey was lacking. Whenever you receive this signal, perhaps a second read and some more contemplation would be in order. :)

In my previous post I gave you a very brief answer to your question below and I promised to reply somewhat more in extenso at a later time:

Free said:

You say this, Free, because the ego and the world have deceived you into believing that your skin is the boundary of your being and that the image you see in your mirror is your true identity. It is not. What you see and what those see who are "in ego" is your false identity. Your true identity is the perfect Light within.

You, Free, like all of us, were created in His image! You are the child of a perfect Father, Who creates perfectly, Who Knows you to be perfect and Who is well pleased with you ... :)

... what appears to contradict this is part of the often powerful deceptions of the ego and of this world. It is up to you to free yourself from all of that to be truly Free.

... not in scripture??? :-?

AHIMSA said:
I think what is being pointed out is that knowledge of Love is the kind of knowledge that must be EXPERIENCED. Love is more than abstract ideas or concepts, you don't KNOW love just by sitting down and studying it.

To know love, to experience love, one must let love flow through them, but love isn't complete unitl it is given, so it must flow through us unto others. By acting in love, we teach love, we experience love, and then we truly can say that we KNOW love.

Great post, Ahimsa ...

Let me add this:

There are kinds of love. God's perfect Love differs from the love which most of us human beings know. Thus we can, from our hearts, offer our "own" imperfect love, but we can also become a doorway for the Love which Holy Spirit extends.

When we are allowed to do this, we experience what true, perfect Love is about. We become a doorway and ... in that sense ... appear to be teaching, while ... in fact ... we become part of a sharing where we ourselves are being taught. :)

And yes ... "love is not complete until it is given."

Lonelyguide said:
You say this, Free, because the ego and the world have deceived you into believing that your skin is the boundary of your being and that the image you see in your mirror is your true identity. It is not. What you see and what those see who are "in ego" is your false identity. Your true identity is the perfect Light within.
No, I say this because I sin, because we all sin. Sin is "missing the mark," a sign of imperfection. We certainly are being moved towards perfection, but we are not perfect now.

Lonelyguide said:
And yes ... "love is not complete until it is given."
Love not given is pride and narcissism, not even really love at all.

Lonelyguide said:
In my previous post I gave you a very brief answer to your question below and I promised to reply somewhat more in extenso at a later time:

Free said:

You, Free, like all of us, were created in His image! You are the child of a perfect Father, Who creates perfectly, Who Knows you to be perfect and Who is well pleased with you ... :)

... what appears to contradict this is part of the often powerful deceptions of the ego and of this world. It is up to you to free yourself from all of that to be truly Free.

... not in scripture??? :-?

to be perfect is to be god. i know no rational man who would deign to consider himself to be as god. perfection is a goal, something to work towards, but it is unattainable when one is only a mortal. sin is imperfection, and only jesus is without sin.

Loren Michael said:
to be perfect is to be god. i know no rational man who would deign to consider himself to be as god. perfection is a goal, something to work towards, but it is unattainable when one is only a mortal. sin is imperfection, and only jesus is without sin.
And what of His words which implied that each of us has the power to do what He did ... and more?

It would appear that your "ratio" may be a bit selective with Truth, Loren. :) Perhaps there is a choice to make here ... your ratio or Jesus' words. Read again what I said about the powerful deceptions of the ego and of this world. Hard to swallow that some of that may also apply to you, huh? :)

Lonelyguide said:
Loren Michael said:
And what of His words which implied that each of us has the power to do what He did ... and more?

It would appear that your "ratio" may be a bit selective with Truth, Loren. :) Perhaps there is a choice to make here ... your ratio or Jesus' words. Read again what I said about the powerful deceptions of the ego and of this world. Hard to swallow that some of that may also apply to you, huh? :)

..."ratio"? i'm not sure where you got that from, i'm not sure what you mean by it. all i said was that men are not gods.

could you perhaps elaborate on how and where you disagree with me? we might both understand each other a little better.

Loren Michael said:
Lonelyguide said:
[quote="Loren Michael":bc55f]to be perfect is to be god. i know no rational man who would deign to consider himself to be as god. perfection is a goal, something to work towards, but it is unattainable when one is only a mortal. sin is imperfection, and only jesus is without sin.

..."ratio"? i'm not sure where you got that from, i'm not sure what you mean by it. all i said was that men are not gods.

could you perhaps elaborate on how and where you disagree with me? we might both understand each other a little better.[/quote:bc55f]

You used the word "rational," Loren and rational is derived from the Latin word "ratio," which means "reason."

As for what you say:

There is only one God. Since He is the Father who created you, He is "more" than you. You, however, are more ... much more ... than the image you see in your mirror each day. To accept yourself as created in His image cannot be arrogant, because it is the denial of arrogance. To accept yourself as "little," however, and thus to accept your "littleness" is arrogant, because it means that you believe that your evaluation of yourself is truer than God's, Who created you and Who Knows that you were created in His image.

Lonelyguide said:
You used the word "rational," Loren and rational is derived from the Latin word "ratio," which means "reason."

As for what you say:

There is only one God. Since He is the Father who created you, He is "more" than you. You, however, are more ... much more ... than the image you see in your mirror each day. To accept yourself as created in His image cannot be arrogant, because it is the denial of arrogance. To accept yourself as "little," however, and thus to accept your "littleness" is arrogant, because it means that you believe that your evaluation of yourself is truer than God's, Who created you and Who Knows that you were created in His image.

well, kudos on your etymology. i made no claims of "littleness". my only claim was that men are not god. we are from god, and made in his image, but we are not god. "created in his image" is not at all the same as being god. a sculpture is made in the image of someone, but the statue of david is not david.

It goes "a bit" further than that, Loren. :)

Created in His image has no bearing on your form. It has a bearing on the Light inside of you ... your Soul. That Soul was created in His image, is His child, and is capable of things that are beyond your wildest imagenings.

You seem to have missed my post on the fact that we sin.

Lonelyguide said:
It goes "a bit" further than that, Loren. :)

Created in His image has no bearing on your form. It has a bearing on the Light inside of you ... your Soul. That Soul was created in His image, is His child, and is capable of things that are beyond your wildest imagenings.

i made no claim to the contrary.

i said that men are not gods. do you disagree with this?

Free said:
You seem to have missed my post on the fact that we sin.

and i think my point was taken in the absolute most negative light Lonelyguide could have imagined. i'm not sure what's even going on. :o

soma,

There is no need to try to drown others preaching about false gods when the light and joy of One God is always present. Some people put false gods before the true God by talking about them over and over again.
It appears that you are attempting to join "New Age" spirituality with Christianity when Christianity is quite distinct from such ideas. Also, implied in your statement is that you and others in here are preaching about false gods.

I am talking about one true God. That is Christianity. God the Father Almighty. To talk about other gods, false gods is to create those gods because there is only one God. There can't be two. I am saying to be Christian is to worship God the Father, not give energy, creedance, and descriptions to other gods that don't exist.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it is New Age. If someone talks about Christianity in modern terms reaching young and old doesn't mean it is New Age. If you don't understand Christianity on a deep level or New Age even on a shallow level don't make proclamations as if you were an expert.

soma said:
soma,

There is no need to try to drown others preaching about false gods when the light and joy of One God is always present. Some people put false gods before the true God by talking about them over and over again.

moderator,
[quote:ed131]It appears that you are attempting to join "New Age" spirituality with Christianity when Christianity is quite distinct from such ideas. Also, implied in your statement is that you and others in here are preaching about false gods.

I am talking about one true God. That is Christianity. God the Father Almighty. To talk about other gods, false gods is to create those gods because there is only one God. There can't be two. I am saying to be Christian is to worship God the Father, not give energy, creedance, and descriptions to other gods that don't exist.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it is New Age. If someone talks about Christianity in modern terms reaching young and old doesn't mean it is New Age. If you don't understand Christianity on a deep level or New Age even on a shallow level don't make proclamations as if you were an expert.[/quote:ed131]

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back