Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Jesus Christ Shed His Blood for Judas

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

SolaScriptura

2024 Supporter

"And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves. For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table. For the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom he is betrayed!” And they began to question one another, which of them it could be who was going to do this." (Luke 22:14-23)

Note the important words that Jesus uses here, "But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table", which were spoken AFTER Jesus had given Judas the cup representing His blood, and the bread, that represents His death.

Some argue, that the Greek does not have the word “is”, which is in italics in Versions like the King James. However, the Greek participle παραδιδόντος, used here, “of him who betrays”, is in the present tense, which means the use of “is”, is correct.

Matthew's account has some more details;

"27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins" (chapter 26)

It is very clear from this, that Judas is also included in the "many" for whom Jesus died. This is also admitted to by John Calvin, where commenting on the same words in Mark's Gospel (14:24), says;

"Which is shed for many. By the word many he means not a part of the world only, but the whole human race; for he contrasts many with one; as if he had said, that he will not be the Redeemer of one man only, but will die in order to deliver many from the condemnation of the curse."

It is clear from Calvin’s comments on this verse, that Judas is included in the word “many”.

It is also very interesting to read what two reformed commentators say on the passage in Luke's Gospel:

Matthew Henry,

"By placing this after the institution of the Lord’s supper, though in Matthew and Mark it is placed before it, it seems plain that Judas did receive the Lord’s supper, did eat of that bread and drink of that cup; for, after the solemnity was over, Christ said, Behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table."

John Gill

"From Luke's account it appears most clearly, that Judas was not only at the passover, but at the Lord's supper, since this was said when both were over"

Dr A T Robertson, Greek Scholar

That betrayeth (tou paradidontos). Present active participle, actually engaged in doing it. The hand of Judas was resting on the table at the moment. It should be noted that Luke narrates the institution of the Lord’s Supper before the exposure of Judas as the traitor while Mark and Matthew reverse this order.

John Bengel, Greek Scholar

(ἀνάμνησιν) of Himself should be for the future celebrated by His disciples—V. g.] This particle serves as an argument that Judas was present, and took part in the Lord’s Supper. Comp. Luk_22:14 (“The twelve apostles sat with Him”).

If, as some argue, that Jesus Christ did not shed His blood for anyone who has gone to hell, then this passage in Luke is incorrect, as it very clearly says that Jesus testifies that He DID shed His blood for Judas, who is called in the Bible, "the son of destruction". Note what Jesus says on the fate of Judas:

"While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled" (John 17:12)

Also, we read of Judas in Acts 1:25, "to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.”

Peter in his Second Epistle also says, "But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction" (2:1). Which shows that there are those for whom Jesus shed His blood, that have ended up in eternal punishment.

It is important to note, that had Jesus not wished to include Judas in His death on the cross, then He would have waited for Judas to have left the room, which was not much later, and then said these words. However, Jesus, Who, as God Incarnate, knowing full well that Judas was about to betray Him, and that Judas would not be going to heaven for his treachery, made sure that Judas was not only present, but actually did take the bread and wine, that represent Jesus' death on the cross. Moreover, Jesus speaks the same words recorded above, in the hearing of Judas.

Last edited:
I gave you an article that refutes that. However if you insist that Christ died for people that are eternally lost, then its crystal clear you dont believe that Jesus death alone brings about the salvation for all whom He died. That deprives His Blood of its Saving efficacy, which is not good.

"And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves. For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table. For the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom he is betrayed!” And they began to question one another, which of them it could be who was going to do this." (Luke 22:14-23)

Note the important words that Jesus uses here, "But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table", which were spoken AFTER Jesus had given Judas the cup representing His blood, and the bread, that represents His death.

Some argue, that the Greek does not have the word “is”, which is in italics in Versions like the King James. However, the Greek participle παραδιδόντος, used here, “of him who betrays”, is in the present tense, which means the use of “is”, is correct.

"27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins" (chapter 26)

It is very clear from this, that Judas is also included in the "many" for whom Jesus died. This is also admitted to by John Calvin, where commenting on the same words in Mark's Gospel (14:24), says;

"Which is shed for many. By the word many he means not a part of the world only, but the whole human race; for he contrasts many with one; as if he had said, that he will not be the Redeemer of one man only, but will die in order to deliver many from the condemnation of the curse."

It is clear from Calvin’s comments on this verse, that Judas is included in the word “many”.

It is also very interesting to read what two reformed commentators say on the passage in Luke's Gospel:

Matthew Henry,

"By placing this after the institution of the Lord’s supper, though in Matthew and Mark it is placed before it, it seems plain that Judas did receive the Lord’s supper, did eat of that bread and drink of that cup; for, after the solemnity was over, Christ said, Behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table."

John Gill

"From Luke's account it appears most clearly, that Judas was not only at the passover, but at the Lord's supper, since this was said when both were over"

That betrayeth (tou paradidontos). Present active participle, actually engaged in doing it. The hand of Judas was resting on the table at the moment. It should be noted that Luke narrates the institution of the Lord’s Supper before the exposure of Judas as the traitor while Mark and Matthew reverse this order.

(ἀνάμνησιν) of Himself should be for the future celebrated by His disciples—V. g.] This particle serves as an argument that Judas was present, and took part in the Lord’s Supper. Comp. Luk_22:14 (“The twelve apostles sat with Him”).

If, as some argue, that Jesus Christ did not shed His blood for anyone who has gone to hell, then this passage in Luke is incorrect, as it very clearly says that Jesus testifies that He DID shed His blood for Judas, who is called in the Bible, "the son of destruction". Note what Jesus says on the fate of Judas:

"While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled" (John 17:12)

Also, we read of Judas in Acts 1:25, "to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.”

Peter in his Second Epistle also says, "But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction" (2:1). Which shows that there are those for whom Jesus shed His blood, that have ended up in eternal punishment.

It is important to note, that had Jesus not wished to include Judas in His death on the cross, then He would have waited for Judas to have left the room, which was not much later, and then said these words. However, Jesus, Who, as God Incarnate, knowing full well that Judas was about to betray Him, and that Judas would not be going to heaven for his treachery, made sure that Judas was not only present, but actually did take the bread and wine, that represent Jesus' death on the cross. Moreover, Jesus speaks the same words recorded above, in the hearing of Judas.

Judas Iscariot was predestined to reign with Christ and the other 11 apostles in the age to come.

So Jesus said to them, “Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. Matthew 19:28

• you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Judas followed the LORD for over three years as a disciple, then he was promoted to an apostle, and was sent out with the other eleven and empowered to preach the gospel to the lost, heal the sick, cast out devils , cleanse the lepers and raise the dead.

Judas sold out to thirty pieces of silver, having become a traitor.

JLB

Judas Iscariot was predestined to reign with Christ and the other 11 apostles in the age to come.

So Jesus said to them, “Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. Matthew 19:28

• you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Judas followed the LORD for over three years as a disciple, then he was promoted to an apostle, and was sent out with the other eleven and empowered to preach the gospel to the lost, heal the sick, cast out devils , cleanse the lepers and raise the dead.

Judas sold out to thirty pieces of silver, having become a traitor.

JLB
Following Christ denotes believing in Him, Jesus indicated judas was an unbeliever Jn 6:

64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

Jesus put the traitor among them that believe not and who were not given to Him by the Father,

So he was excluded from the Twelve that are saved and believed.

Following Christ denotes believing in Him

Folowing Christ means obeying Him.

Only those who follow (obey) Him and endure to the end will be saved; will receive eternal salvation.

And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him. Hebrews 5:9

My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. John 10:27-28

Those who hear His voice and obey Him, resulting in following Him will receive eternal life, and qualify for the promise of not being snatched out of His hand.

JLB

I am not sure where some of you get your theology. It certainly is not Biblical.

John 17:12 “While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me; and I guarded them and not one of them perished but the son of perdition, so that the Scripture would be fulfilled.

son of perdition. This identifies Judas by pointing to his destiny, i.e., eternal damnation (Mat_7:13; Act_8:20; Rom_9:22; Php_1:28; Php_3:19; 1Ti_6:9; Heb_10:39; 2Pe_2:1; 2Pe_3:7; Rev_17:8, Rev_17:11). The defection of Judas was not a failure on Jesus' part, but was foreseen and foreordained in Scripture (Psa_41:9; Psa_109:8; cf. Joh_13:18).

The Bible clearly indicates that Judas was not saved. Jesus Himself said of Judas, “The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born” (Matthew 26:24). Here is a clear picture of the sovereignty of God and the will of man working together. God had, from ages past, determined that Christ would be betrayed by Judas, die on the cross for our sins, and be resurrected. This is what Jesus meant when He said He would “go just as it is written about him.” Nothing would stop the plan of God to provide salvation for mankind.

However, the fact that it was all foreordained does not excuse Judas or absolve him from the punishment he would suffer for his part in the drama. Judas made his own choices, and they were the source of his own damnation. Yet the choices fit perfectly into the sovereign plan of God. God controls not only the good, but also the evil of man to accomplish His own ends. Here we see Jesus condemning Judas, but considering that Judas travelled with Jesus for nearly three years, we know He also gave Judas ample opportunity for salvation and repentance. Even after his dreadful deed, Judas could have fallen on his knees to beg God’s forgiveness. But he did not. He may have felt some remorse born of fear, which caused him to return the money to the Pharisees, but he never repented, preferring instead to commit suicide (Matthew 27:5-8).

In John 17:12, Jesus prays concerning His disciples, “While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.” At one time, though, Judas believed that Jesus was a prophet, or possibly even believed He was the Messiah. Jesus sent the disciples out to proclaim the gospel and perform miracles (Luke 9:1-6). Judas was included in this group. Judas had faith, but it was not a true saving faith. Judas was never “saved,” but for a time he was a follower of Christ.

Gotquestions.com

I gave you an article that refutes that. However if you insist that Christ died for people that are eternally lost, then its crystal clear you dont believe that Jesus death alone brings about the salvation for all whom He died. That deprives His Blood of its Saving efficacy, which is not good.
Christ died to take away the sins of the entire world.
Just because some are not interested in that rescue, doesn't mean it is ineffective for the rest of us.
Accepting it is our choice to make, or refuse.

Christ died to take away the sins of the entire world.
Just because some are not interested in that rescue, doesn't mean it is ineffective for the rest of us.
Accepting it is our choice to make, or refuse.
Those whom Christ died for, He took away their sins, even the sin of unbelief, the sin of disobedience, the sin of disinterest in Him, the sin of rejecting Him, all that has been taken away. So everyone He died for will be made a new creature, a believer. Those who never believe in Him, He didnt die for them and took away their sins.

JLB

Those who hear His voice and obey Him, resulting in following Him will receive eternal life, and qualify for the promise of not being snatched out of His hand.

So this describes Judas ?

Yes.

Judas heard the call from Jesus to follow Him.

Judas followed Him for over three years as a disciple, then was promoted to an apostle.

He then became a traitor.

JLB
You funny and deceived. Was he following and obeying Christ when he was being a thief ? Jn 12:6

This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

Judas being a thief here is in the imperfect tense in the greek, it was a continual thing, also indicative, meaning it was a statement of fact.

1 Cor 6:10

Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Matthew Henry,

John Gill

Ah, SolaScriptura, the cosmic script supervisor, orchestrating a theological play where even the traitorous characters get a spotlight! Let's dive into the celestial drama of Jesus shedding His blood for Judas, the unexpected guest at the Last Supper.

Picture the scene: Jesus, the ultimate director, sitting at the table with His disciples, handing out cups and breaking bread. And lo and behold, there's Judas, hand on the table, part of the celestial cast. Now, whether it's a theological plot twist or a divine paradox, Jesus declares, "The hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table."

It's like a cosmic mystery play where the antagonist gets a role in the redemptive narrative. Even the Greek scholars join the cosmic conversation, with present tense participles and linguistic nuances adding layers to this divine theater.

Calvin himself, the theological scriptwriter, acknowledges Judas in the grand cosmic saga of redemption. The "many" for whom Jesus shed His blood includes even the son of destruction, as Calvin unfolds the celestial plot with a flourish.

And as we ponder this cosmic paradox, let's not forget the cosmic commentators – Matthew Henry and John Gill, standing by the celestial stage, affirming that Judas indeed partook in the Lord's Supper, hand on the table and all.

So, SolaScriptura, in this cosmic performance where redemption takes christianforums center stage, Judas plays a part, a role in the divine narrative, testifying that even the one who betrays is not excluded from the offer of grace. Let the celestial audience marvel at the intricacies of divine storytelling! 🌌🎭😄

Those whom Christ died for, He took away their sins, even the sin of unbelief, the sin of disobedience, the sin of disinterest in Him, the sin of rejecting Him, all that has been taken away. So everyone He died for will be made a new creature, a believer. Those who never believe in Him, He didnt die for them and took away their sins.
Jesus died for all mankind.
But if we don't do our part, His death will not profit us.

You funny and deceived. Was he following and obeying Christ when he was being a thief ? Jn 12:6

This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

Judas being a thief here is in the imperfect tense in the greek, it was a continual thing, also indicative, meaning it was a statement of fact.

1 Cor 6:10

Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Obviously Judas is in hell.

Just like any other Christian who practices the works of the flesh.

Especially those who promote heresy, like Calvinism.

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Galatians 5:19-21

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
So all Calvinists are on their way to hell?

You know their heart

Wow, judge and jury are you?

False teaching, demeaning the saving death of Christ to exalt the will of man, Blasphemy !
It is written..."And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." (1 John 2:2)
If the written word of God is blasphemy to you, perhaps it is the doctrines of your teachers you should measure as blasphemy.
God gave us what we need to be freed from sin, but not all are willing to pay the price for it.
That doesn't reflect badly upon God, but it does on the men who refuse to accept it.

Man has a role in his own salvation.
It is a choice all must make.

So why do you say judas is part of the twelve that will reign with Christ here Matt 19 28

28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Is judas going to do that from hell ?

It is written..."And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." (1 John 2:2)
If the written word of God is blasphemy to you, perhaps it is the doctrines of your teachers you should measure as blasphemy.
God gave us what we need to be freed from sin, but not all are willing to pay the price for it.
That doesn't reflect badly upon God, but it does on the men who refuse to accept it.

Man has a role in his own salvation.
It is a choice all must make.
False teaching, demeaning the saving death of Christ to exalt the will of man, Blasphemy ! Obviously in your blasphemy mans role in salvation decides salvation, not Christs role.

Back