Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Jesus Christ THE FIRST and THE LAST

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

SolaScriptura

2024 Supporter

This is the strongest evidence from the words of Jesus Christ Himself, that He is YHWH.

In the Book of Revelation, there are at least three references where Jesus says of Himself, that He is “THE FIRST AND THE LAST”:

Revelation 1:17-18

“When I saw him, I fell at his feet like a dead man. He laid his right hand on me and said, “Don’t be afraid. I am the First and the Last, and the Living One. I was dead, but look—I am alive forever and ever, and I hold the keys of death and Hades”

Revelation 2:8

“Write to the angel of the church in Smyrna: “The First and the Last, the One who was dead and came to life, says”

Revelation 22:13

“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End”

The words, “egō eimi ho prōtos kai ho eschatos”, mean that Jesus Christ is The Eternal God. The Greek scholar, Dr Joseph Thayer, who was a Unitarian, and denied that Jesus Christ is God, says this of this phrase in his Greek Lexicon

“absolutely (i. e. without a noun) and substantively; α. with the article: ὁ πρῶτος καί ὁ ἔσχατος, i. e. the eternal One, Rev. 1:17; Rev. 2:8; Rev. 22:13”

THE ETERNAL ONE, which can only be used for YHWH.

Even more stronger is what Jesus goes on to say, in Revelation 1:18, “zōn eimi”, which is Periphrastic present active indicative, literally, “I am the Ever-Living One,”, or, “I am the Eternal One”.

In the Greek Old Testament, known as the Septuagint (LXX), translated by Jewish scholars over 100 years before the Birth of Jesus Christ, Exodus 3:14, reads:

“egō eimi ho ōn”, literally, “I am The Eternal One”. The Greek verb “ōn”, meaning, “timeless, continuance present”. This best describes what the Hebrew is saying. The Jewish Greek versions in the 2nd century AD (Aquila and Theodotion), knew the force of what the LXX wrote, and translated the Hebrew as, “εσομαι (ὃς) εσομαι”, which is the future tense of “εἰμί”, which is, “I will be that I will be”.

This is what Jesus says to the Jews in John 8:58, “prin Abraam genesthai egō eimi”, which is literally, “Before Abraham came into existence, I AM”. The Jews clearly understood what Jesus meant here, as referring to Exodus 3:14, as they wanted to stone Him to death for what He said (verse 59), which they thought was blasphemy.

In Acts 3:15, the Apostle Peter says of Jesus Christ;

“and killed the Prince of life, whom God raised from the dead, of which we are witnesses” (NKJV)

“Prince” is in the Greek, “archēgon”, which is defined by Dr Thayer:

the author: τῆς ζωῆς, Act. 3:15”

That is, The One Who Give Life, as John says in his Gospel, “In Him was Life; and the Life was the light of men” (1:4). That is, in the Person of Jesus Christ is The SOURCE of all life”. Instead of “τῆς ζωῆς” (was Life), there is very strong and old evidence for the reading, “ζωὴ ἐστιν” (IS Life), which dates from the 2nd century AD.

The Jewish Encyclopaedia, has some very interesting comments on the Name YHWH:

“The meaning would, therefore, be "He who is self-existing, self-sufficient," or, more concretely, "He who lives," the abstract conception of pure existence being foreign to Hebrew thought. There is no doubt that the idea of life was intimately connected with the name Yhwh from early times. He is the living God, as contrasted with the lifeless gods of the heathen, and He is the source and author of life (comp. I Kings xviii.; Isa. xli. 26-29, xliv. 6-20; Jer. x. 10, 14; Gen. ii. 7; etc.)”

In the Hebrew and English Lexicon, by F Brown, S R Driver and C A Briggs, we read of "Yahweh, the proper name of the God of Israel...the one bringing into being, life-giver, giver of existence, creator, he who brings to pass...he who causes...the one who is: i.e. the absolute and unchangeable one, the existing, ever-living" (pages 217-218)

What Jesus Christ says of Himself in the Book of Revelation, is also said of YHWH in the Prophet Isaiah.

Isaiah 41:4

“Who has performed and done this, calling the generations from the beginning? I, Yahweh, am the first, and with the last—I am He.”

Isaiah 44:6

“This is what Yahweh, the King of Israel and its Redeemer, Yahweh of Hosts, says: I am the first and I am the last. There is no God but Me

Isaiah 48:12

“Listen to Me, Jacob, and Israel, the one called by Me: I am He; I am the first, I am also the last

From verse 16, the last reference is Spoken by Jesus Christ, Who says that Another Person, Who is distinct from Himself, “Yah·weh ’ă·ḏō·nāy”, has Sent Himself and His Spirit. This Person can only be God the Father.

We read of Jesus’ own words in Revelation 22:13, which are also used in 21:5-7:

“And He who sits on the Throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." And He said, "Write, for these words are faithful and true." Then He said to me, "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost. "He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My child

It is very clear from the passages in Revelation and Isaiah, that there are TWO distinct Persons Who are EQUALLY YHWH, The Father and Jesus Christ. Anyone who still says that Jesus Christ is “inferior” to the Father, is clearly contradicting what is very clearly taught in the Inspired, Infallible, Word of God!

It is very clear from the passages in Revelation and Isaiah, that there are TWO distinct Persons Who are EQUALLY YHWH, The Father and Jesus Christ. Anyone who still says that Jesus Christ is “inferior” to the Father, is clearly contradicting what is very clearly taught in the Inspired, Infallible, Word of God!
I don't know who you are writing these too, but no real Christian believes that Jesus is inferior to the Father. Maybe cults or whatever. Only one thing from the Infallible Words of Jesus:

Joh 14:28 You have heard Me say to you, 'I am going away and coming back to you.' If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, 'I am going to the Father,' for My Father is greater than I.

I found this in Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers:
In this passage, as in others of the New Testament, it is plainly asserted that in the divine nature there is a subordination of the Son to the Father. (See, e.g., John 14:16; John 17:5; 1Corinthians 3:23; 1Corinthians 11:3; 1Corinthians 15:27-28; Philippians 2:9; Philippians 2:11; and especially Note on John 5:19

I don't know who you are writing these too, but no real Christian believes that Jesus is inferior to the Father. Maybe cults or whatever. Only one thing from the Infallible Words of Jesus:

Joh 14:28 You have heard Me say to you, 'I am going away and coming back to you.' If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, 'I am going to the Father,' for My Father is greater than I.

I found this in Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers:
In this passage, as in others of the New Testament, it is plainly asserted that in the divine nature there is a subordination of the Son to the Father. (See, e.g., John 14:16; John 17:5; 1Corinthians 3:23; 1Corinthians 11:3; 1Corinthians 15:27-28; Philippians 2:9; Philippians 2:11; and especially Note on John 5:19

Ellicott is WRONG, as in the Divine Nature/Godhead, there is NO "subordination". The Three Persons are 100% EOEQUAL, COETERNAL AND COESSENTIAL.

I have posted here on John 14:28

Jesus believes he is inferior to the Father, his God. Ironically, it is actually those who believe what Jesus does who are the real Christians. Therefore, I agree with Jesus.

John 14
28...because the Father is greater than I.

John 10
29My Father who has given them to Me is greater than all. No one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand.

Jesus believes he is inferior to the Father, his God. Ironically, it is actually those who believe what Jesus does who are the real Christians. Therefore, I agree with Jesus.

John 14

John 10
29My Father who has given them to Me is greater than all. No one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand.

Wrong. What is clear from those passages is that there are two distinct persons:
  1. Yahweh God, the Father
  2. Jesus Christ, his Son
equal by nature. The Father is of higher status, but since he handed over everything into Jesus' hands and gives us nothing except through Jesus, there is no difference for us between his and Jesus' status. Nobody comes to the Father except through Jesus. The one who doesn't honour Jesus equally with the Father, doesn't honour the Father who sent him.

Last edited:

John 14

John 10
Jesus mentioned that the Father is greater than he but he handed over everything he has and his exclusive functions into Jesus' hands. So Jesus represents the Father and functions as the Father for us. The one who tries to make him lower than this or says he's just a righteous man or an angel dishonours him and utters blasphemy.

Ellicott is WRONG, as in the Divine Nature/Godhead, there is NO "subordination". The Three Persons are 100% EOEQUAL, COETERNAL AND COESSENTIAL.

I have posted here on John 14:28

Jesus clearly taught that he came from the Father who shown him what to do and to say, given him authority to exercise his exclusive functions, is greater than he and so on. Jesus was doing the Father's will and commandments, was completing his works. This is subordination. But being subordinate to Yahweh God by no means makes Jesus inferior by nature.

Last edited:

This is the strongest evidence from the words of Jesus Christ Himself, that He is YHWH.

In the Book of Revelation, there are at least three references where Jesus says of Himself, that He is “THE FIRST AND THE LAST”:

Revelation 1:17-18

“When I saw him, I fell at his feet like a dead man. He laid his right hand on me and said, “Don’t be afraid. I am the First and the Last, and the Living One. I was dead, but look—I am alive forever and ever, and I hold the keys of death and Hades”

Revelation 2:8

“Write to the angel of the church in Smyrna: “The First and the Last, the One who was dead and came to life, says”

Revelation 22:13

“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End”

The words, “egō eimi ho prōtos kai ho eschatos”, mean that Jesus Christ is The Eternal God. The Greek scholar, Dr Joseph Thayer, who was a Unitarian, and denied that Jesus Christ is God, says this of this phrase in his Greek Lexicon

“absolutely (i. e. without a noun) and substantively; α. with the article: ὁ πρῶτος καί ὁ ἔσχατος, i. e. the eternal One, Rev. 1:17; Rev. 2:8; Rev. 22:13”

THE ETERNAL ONE, which can only be used for YHWH.

Even more stronger is what Jesus goes on to say, in Revelation 1:18, “zōn eimi”, which is Periphrastic present active indicative, literally, “I am the Ever-Living One,”, or, “I am the Eternal One”.

In the Greek Old Testament, known as the Septuagint (LXX), translated by Jewish scholars over 100 years before the Birth of Jesus Christ, Exodus 3:14, reads:

“egō eimi ho ōn”, literally, “I am The Eternal One”. The Greek verb “ōn”, meaning, “timeless, continuance present”. This best describes what the Hebrew is saying. The Jewish Greek versions in the 2nd century AD (Aquila and Theodotion), knew the force of what the LXX wrote, and translated the Hebrew as, “εσομαι (ὃς) εσομαι”, which is the future tense of “εἰμί”, which is, “I will be that I will be”.

This is what Jesus says to the Jews in John 8:58, “prin Abraam genesthai egō eimi”, which is literally, “Before Abraham came into existence, I AM”. The Jews clearly understood what Jesus meant here, as referring to Exodus 3:14, as they wanted to stone Him to death for what He said (verse 59), which they thought was blasphemy.

In Acts 3:15, the Apostle Peter says of Jesus Christ;

“and killed the Prince of life, whom God raised from the dead, of which we are witnesses” (NKJV)

“Prince” is in the Greek, “archēgon”, which is defined by Dr Thayer:

the author: τῆς ζωῆς, Act. 3:15”

That is, The One Who Give Life, as John says in his Gospel, “In Him was Life; and the Life was the light of men” (1:4). That is, in the Person of Jesus Christ is The SOURCE of all life”. Instead of “τῆς ζωῆς” (was Life), there is very strong and old evidence for the reading, “ζωὴ ἐστιν” (IS Life), which dates from the 2nd century AD.

The Jewish Encyclopaedia, has some very interesting comments on the Name YHWH:

“The meaning would, therefore, be "He who is self-existing, self-sufficient," or, more concretely, "He who lives," the abstract conception of pure existence being foreign to Hebrew thought. There is no doubt that the idea of life was intimately connected with the name Yhwh from early times. He is the living God, as contrasted with the lifeless gods of the heathen, and He is the source and author of life (comp. I Kings xviii.; Isa. xli. 26-29, xliv. 6-20; Jer. x. 10, 14; Gen. ii. 7; etc.)”

In the Hebrew and English Lexicon, by F Brown, S R Driver and C A Briggs, we read of "Yahweh, the proper name of the God of Israel...the one bringing into being, life-giver, giver of existence, creator, he who brings to pass...he who causes...the one who is: i.e. the absolute and unchangeable one, the existing, ever-living" (pages 217-218)

What Jesus Christ says of Himself in the Book of Revelation, is also said of YHWH in the Prophet Isaiah.

Isaiah 41:4

“Who has performed and done this, calling the generations from the beginning? I, Yahweh, am the first, and with the last—I am He.”

Isaiah 44:6

“This is what Yahweh, the King of Israel and its Redeemer, Yahweh of Hosts, says: I am the first and I am the last. There is no God but Me

Isaiah 48:12

“Listen to Me, Jacob, and Israel, the one called by Me: I am He; I am the first, I am also the last

From verse 16, the last reference is Spoken by Jesus Christ, Who says that Another Person, Who is distinct from Himself, “Yah·weh ’ă·ḏō·nāy”, has Sent Himself and His Spirit. This Person can only be God the Father.

We read of Jesus’ own words in Revelation 22:13, which are also used in 21:5-7:

“And He who sits on the Throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." And He said, "Write, for these words are faithful and true." Then He said to me, "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost. "He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My child

Amen. :salute

John 14

John 10

Every father is greater than his son and has authority over his son, however a human father is human, just as his son is human.

Being a son doesn't make him any less of a human that his father.

Jesus the Son was begotten before creation, and is the One Who created all things, as YHWH, the Lord God.

JLB

John 14

John 10
As a man, the Messah agreed with His Father in everything. Think about the weight of that Witness. His testimony is recorded in scripture.

It will be apparent standing before Jesus in judgement that He never defended His rightful place by force because it would have been judgement day for all. Gentiles the world over would never have heard of Him,

how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be? Mt.26:54 KJV

You are confusing greater with superior.
I am not.

Hebrews 1
9You have loved righteousness
and hated wickedness;
therefore God, Your God, has anointed You
above Your companions with the oil of joy.”

Hebrews 7
7And indisputably, the lesser is blessed by the greater.

Jesus the Son was begotten before creation, and is the One Who created all things, as YHWH, the Lord God.
Jesus was indeed begotten but he didn't create all things. Being begotten necessitates him having a beginning point. The Father, the Lord of heaven and earth, is the Creator. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and Jesus is His servant.

As a man, the Messah agreed with His Father in everything. Think about the weight of that Witness. His testimony is recorded in scripture.

It will be apparent standing before Jesus in judgement that He never defended His rightful place by force because it would have been judgement day for all. Gentiles the world over would never have heard of Him,

how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be? Mt.26:54 KJV
Jesus may have agreed with everything his Father commanded him to do, but that doesn't mean they were in total alignment about what their desires were. Jesus actually has a different will than God.

"Father, if You are willing, take this cup from Me. Yet not My will, but Yours be done.”

Jesus mentioned that the Father is greater than he but he handed over everything he has and his exclusive functions into Jesus' hands. So Jesus represents the Father and functions as the Father for us. The one who tries to make him lower than this or says he's just a righteous man or an angel dishonours him and utters blasphemy.
Not exactly. Jesus doesn't have all of the power and authority of the Father according to Jesus. Jesus was made Lord of the church.

Acts 1
7Jesus replied, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by His own authority.

Ephesians 1
22And God put everything under His feet and made Him head over everything for the church,

Jesus may have agreed with everything his Father commanded him to do, but that doesn't mean they were in total alignment about what their desires were. Jesus actually has a different will than God.

"Father, if You are willing, take this cup from Me. Yet not My will, but Yours be done.”
You're looking at Jesus' meaning the opposite way He intended it to be understood. He means if our Father wants Him to destroy His enemies, let Him know now. The silence meant, withold your anger longer.

Now here's the interesting part. In Lk.13:1-9, it's the Father who wants the fruitless uprooted. In Mt.21:33-42, it's the Father who is enraged by the vile way lHis Son is
killed.

They're both rightfully angry. They're both more merciful than any. What's the problem?

Jesus clearly taught that he came from the Father who shown him what to do and to say, given him authority to exercise his exclusive functions, is greater than he and so on. Jesus was doing the Father's will and commandments, was completing his works. This is subordination. But being subordinate to Yahweh God by no means makes Jesus inferior by nature.

Did you even bother to read the OP? HOW can Jesus Christ in the Eternal Godhead, be in any way "inferior" to the Father, when He is also YHWH, The Eternal GOD?

Not exactly. Jesus doesn't have all of the power and authority of the Father according to Jesus. Jesus was made Lord of the church.

Acts 1
7Jesus replied, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by His own authority.

Ephesians 1
22And God put everything under His feet and made Him head over everything for the church,

Jesus Christ is 100% COEQUAL with God the Father, as He is YHWH!

Jesus was indeed begotten but he didn't create all things. Being begotten necessitates him having a beginning point. The Father, the Lord of heaven and earth, is the Creator. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and Jesus is His servant.

Back