Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Job

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

HeIsRisen2018

Dramione love 3333
I just started reading the book of Job today and I was just wondering what sin did Job repent of? I know for a fact that only Jesus was sinless so although Job was an obedient servant of the Lord he would have had to have sinned. Not to mention that looking ahead I found this verse;

Job 42:6 "Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes."

Well...that isn't exactly the first part of the book...but ok.

The answer is the part where God questions Job.
Where Job was a "good guy" and more blameless than most people he didn't have the same righteousness as God.

There are some really great themes in the story.
Asking for an advocate
The types of things he was accused of.
His "friends" weren't really his friends.
His life and lifestyle were protected by God.
First comes judgement then comes blessings.

The only reason God was going to forgive Job's friends was if Job asked God to.

One of the funniest lines was about how Job's wives had all been killed and the only one left was the one who thought his breath stunk.

It's a lot of heavily metaphoric Hebrew poetry. Tough for most people to get through.

Well...that isn't exactly the first part of the book...but ok.

The answer is the part where God questions Job.
Where Job was a "good guy" and more blameless than most people he didn't have the same righteousness as God.

There are some really great themes in the story.
Asking for an advocate
The types of things he was accused of.
His "friends" weren't really his friends.
His life and lifestyle were protected by God.
First comes judgement then comes blessings.

The only reason God was going to forgive Job's friends was if Job asked God to.

One of the funniest lines was about how Job's wives had all been killed and the only one left was the one who thought his breath stunk.

It's a lot of heavily metaphoric Hebrew poetry. Tough for most people to get through.

So in other words are you saying that one of Job's sins was that he didn't ask forgiveness for his friends? And if it really is as difficult to read as you say it is, then hopefully the Message Bible will make it easier to follow and understand.

Reading from the beginning of the chapter, my guess is that its from verse 3 - "therefore have I uttered that I understood not". I don't remember everything from this book but I recall Job questioning why he is suffering as if he felt he didn't deserve it. From the first verse in the book we know he feared God and eschewed evil but that doesn't mean he was sinless. That doesn't mean he deserved what he got obviously, but I think in questioning God, he was showing some pride in his own way of life.

Reading from the beginning of the chapter, my guess is that its from verse 3 - "therefore have I uttered that I understood not". I don't remember everything from this book but I recall Job questioning why he is suffering as if he felt he didn't deserve it. From the first verse in the book we know he feared God and eschewed evil but that doesn't mean he was sinless. That doesn't mean he deserved what he got obviously, but I think in questioning God, he was showing some pride in his own way of life.

I guess that makes sense. And of course he wasn't sinless, the only man to walk this earth that was completely sinless was Jesus Christ like I mentioned before. I have only guessed that the reason he was mourning the old ancient world is that Jesus wasn't born yet so nobody was saved. Which that being the case I wonder if that means that everybody went to Hell who had died in the OT.

You asked, ‘Who is this that made my purpose unclear by saying things that are not true?’
Surely I spoke of things I did not understand;
I talked of things too wonderful for me to know.
Job 42:3 NCV

Huh?? I'm sorry I quite don't understand. :confused

You ask how I dare question your wisdom when I am so very ignorant. I talked about things I did not understand, about marvels too great for me to know. Job 42:3 GNT

Job was told that he was saying something that he shouldn't. Job said he wouldn't do it anymore.

Okay thanks for clearing that up for me, that makes a lot more sense to me now. :)

Job 42: 1 Then Job answered the LORD, and said, 2 I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee. 3 Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not. 4 Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. 5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. 6 Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

Job repented about arguing with his three friends Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar about their generalizations about what happens to sinners as all three had a different opinion. Job should have never argued with them, but told them what happens to sinners by what God had already said. Job had to see and understand God and not just hearing what others were saying, but seeing God for what He had already spoken.

I just started reading the book of Job today and I was just wondering what sin did Job repent of? I know for a fact that only Jesus was sinless so although Job was an obedient servant of the Lord he would have had to have sinned. Not to mention that looking ahead I found this verse;

The answer lies in verse 3. Job 42:3. From what God was saying directly to Job in the previous chapter, it alludes to Job being somewhat of a BS artist. Not that he was doing it maliciously or on purpose or was even aware of the situation, but he was still doing it.

The book of Job is one of those stories that is less about Job himself and more what God wants to say to all of us. It's really heavy when you start to actually put those concepts into real terms in your life as many have abandoned God over what he has allowed or permitted to happen in their own lives.

The only sin that I could discern of which Job was guilty was the assumption that God owed him an explanation.

Job is a tough book. It is like a rebuttal to proverbs which tends to lead on to think that if you do good then God will always bless you and if you do bad God will punish you. That a bit like what Job's friends told him as well as telling hin that his problems came from his lack of faith or having sin in his life. Both those accusation were false.

The bottom line for me is, "Don't try to put God in a box." God does whatever He sees fit to do for His purposes and He doesn't need to explain any of it to us. Besides, we probably wouldn't understand anyway.

iakov the fool

A lot of great answers from many other posters!

I would only add this. Job is struggling the nature of God. Is our God a fair God? Is our God a just God?

Job lost everything and his friends dont symphasize and his wife is of no comfort. All of this occurs to him through no fault of his own.

Has something happened to you and you've questioned if our God is a fair and Just God? Have you ever blamed God for something bad that's happened in your life and gotten mad at Him?

Job basically went from questioning God to accusing God. Specific words echo the scenes of a court. Job uses scrioture to put God on the stand. And when God takes the stand, Job understands and has no further questions. He received his answer, and saw how foolish he had been.

In short, bad things happen to good people through no fault of their own. Life happens...

Hope this helps.

A lot of great answers from many other posters!

I would only add this. Job is struggling the nature of God. Is our God a fair God? Is our God a just God?

Job lost everything and his friends dont symphasize and his wife is of no comfort. All of this occurs to him by no fault of his own.

Has something happened to you and you've questioned if our God is a fair and Just God? Have you ever blamed God for something bad that's happened in your life and gotten mad at Him?

Job basically went from questioning God to accusing God. Specific words echo the scenes of a tribunal. Job uses scrioture to put God on the stand. And when God takes the stand, Job understands and has no further questions. He received his answer, and saw how foolish he had been.

Hope this helps.

Yes it does a lot actually and thanks. And unfortunately I had to also answer yes to both of those questions that you asked me. I have never actually meant to of course. I would never purposely do anything to blame God, doubt God, or question God. Sometimes when I'm really upset about something I'm not thinking all that clearly though and I accidentally say and do things that I don't mean. Then again, except for Jesus, don't we all?

Yes it does a lot actually and thanks. And unfortunately I had to also answer yes to both of those questions that you asked me. I have never actually meant to of course. I would never purposely do anything to blame God, doubt God, or question God. Sometimes when I'm really upset about something I'm not thinking all that clearly though and I accidentally say and do things that I don't mean. Then again, except for Jesus, don't we all?
I think just about all of us has answered yes to both of those questions, and Job helps us to understand that God put things in motion and there are natural events that cause us pain, like the wind blowing down a house and the occupants die, or a flood catches unsuspecting victims who just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Or maybe somebody randomly kills your loved ones, or all of your money gets stolen. Maybe it's the loss of your child.

When these, or other tragedies occur, we can feel like we have done something wrong, or angered God. We haven't. Other times we blame God and get to thinking he is a tyrant for allowing all this bad stuff to happen. That's not really the case.

Remember reading about the Laviathan and the other beast? Both show that God has set things in motion, but the amount of suffering that occurs is limited.

Nobody can steal all your stuff. If they do, you'll get it back. God placed limits on the ocean. We will never have another global flood. You get the idea.

I think just about all of us has answered yes to both of those questions, and Job helps us to understand that God put things in motion and there are natural events that cause us pain, like the wind blowing down a house and the occupants die, or a flood catches unsuspecting victims who just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Or maybe somebody randomly kills your loved ones, or all of your money gets stolen. Maybe it's the loss of your child.

When these, or other tragedies occur, we can feel like we have done something wrong, or angered God. We haven't. Other times we blame God and get to thinking he is a tyrant for allowing all this bad stuff to happen. That's not really the case.

Remember reading about the Laviathan and the other beast? Both show that God has set things in motion, but the amount of suffering that occurs is limited.

Nobody can steal all your stuff. If they do, you'll get it back. God placed limits on the ocean. We will never have another global flood. You get the idea.

At the moment I don't remember reading about Leviathan no. What book was he in? I might have not gotten that far yet. Although that name does sound vaguely familiar.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back