Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

John 3:16

Ahuli

John 3:16 (King James Version)

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

What does the word "perish" mean to you vis a vis everlasting life. Thank you.

That we, our soul, will not parish, IE be destroyed, come to an end, but rather "live on" In relation to everlasting life.

How about you?

Danus said:
That we, our soul, will not parish, IE be destroyed, come to an end, but rather "live on" In relation to everlasting life.

How about you?
Here is the definition of "perish":

1 : to become destroyed or ruined : cease to exist

Does it correspond with what you said?

Mysteryman said:
The word "perish" means to decay.

It means to become unusable from its previous state of usability, or usefulness.
1 : to become destroyed or ruined : cease to exist ... is that what you mean? As opposed to eternal life, the "whosoever" God speaks of will either have it or cease to exist?

Ahuli said:
Mysteryman said:

It means to become unusable from its previous state of usability, or usefulness.
1 : to become destroyed or ruined : cease to exist ... is that what you mean? As opposed to eternal life, the "whosoever" God speaks of will either have it or cease to exist?

Always check out its usage.

Here is another verse with the exact same Greek word in the verse,

John 6:27 - "Labour not for the meat which perisheth"

Mysteryman said:
Ahuli said:
Mysteryman said:

John 6:27 - "Labour not for the meat which perisheth"
But, put up treasures in heaven, which do not perish/die/decay/end. Thanks, that's a good contribution.

It means to become unusable from its previous state of usability, or usefulness.[/quote]
1 : to become destroyed or ruined : cease to exist ... is that what you mean? As opposed to eternal life, the "whosoever" God speaks of will either have it or cease to exist?[/quote]

John 6:27 - "Labour not for the meat which perisheth"[/quote]
But, put up treasures in heaven, which do not perish/die/decay/end. Thanks, that's a good contribution.[/quote]

Hi

Just remember, that the whole word of God is its own context. What I mean by that, is that only those whoes names are taken out of the book of life , will enter into the second death. In order for that to happen, one would have to commit an unforgiveable sin.

Even within John 6:27 it is talking about usefullness, when it comes to the word "perish" or "perishable"

Ahuli said:
Danus said:

How about you?

Well, just about every English translation of the bible uses the word "parish" in this verse. There are some that use the word "die" and one or two that use the word "lost" (you'll find the word lost in some childrens bibles) but for the most part the word used is "parish".

We can talk about the definition of "parish" alone but I think fail to see the whole of what this scripture is trying to say.

New International Version
John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

The emphasis is on God's love for us, choosing Christ and having eternal life. The verse emphasizes lastly the ramifications of not choosing Christ and it uses the word parish or die or lost.

One thing for sure, Those who reject Christ are not with Christ, they do not have the promise of eternal life that this verse says, so they parish. How, in what manor? it does not say specifically. It says parish, but the bible talks specifically about a new haven and earth.

Revelation 21:1-4 (New International Version)
1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

Rev 21 goes on to describe a second death for those who reject Christ. "parish" gone, no more. done away with. What happens to the trash you reject to have in your home? You throw it out. What happens to it? .....? it's gone.

We will all physically parish. We are perishing physically right now. However, we have an immaterial aspect of ourselves. (Soul/Spirit since you guys are involved in my Trichotomy discussion) That aspect of man is to me what Christ is talking about when he says eternal life vs perish. The bible goes on to describe eternal life, but It also talks about perishing. It seems pretty clear across scripture that we will someday live in a new heaven and earth as believers and we will have eternal life. Those who reject Christ will not have that. So in relation to life everlasting, to eternal life, those who reject Christ are apart from it, they are dead to it, they have perished from it....gone of it....lost. That's true of the physically living as we speak, the physically dead as we speak, and the revelation of God's kingdom to come.

So God loves the word. He offers his son for salvation and we have the choice of accepting him or not. If we do we will have eternal "life". The opposite of life is death. A question might be, are there literal and figurative definitions to life and death? Sure, there are. Could those literal figurative definitions to life and death be associated with John 3:16? They can and are. It's both literal and figurative.

Danus said:
Ahuli said:
Danus said:

How about you?

Well, just about every English translation of the bible uses the word "parish" in this verse. There are some that use the word "die" and one or two that use the word "lost" (you'll find the word lost in some childrens bibles) but for the most part the word used is "parish".

We can talk about the definition of "parish" alone but I think fail to see the whole of what this scripture is trying to say.

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

The emphasis is on God's love for us, choosing Christ and having eternal life. The verse emphasizes lastly the ramifications of not choosing Christ and it uses the word parish or die or lost.

One thing for sure, Those who reject Christ are not with Christ, they do not have the promise of eternal life that this verse says, so they parish. How, in what manor? it does not say specifically. It says parish, but the bible talks specifically about a new haven and earth.

1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

Rev 21 goes on to describe a second death for those who reject Christ. "parish" gone, no more. done away with. What happens to the trash you reject to have in your home? You throw it out. What happens to it? .....? it's gone.

We will all physically parish. We are perishing physically right now. However, we have an immaterial aspect of ourselves. (Soul/Spirit since you guys are involved in my Trichotomy discussion) That aspect of man is to me what Christ is talking about when he says eternal life vs perish. The bible goes on to describe eternal life, but It also talks about perishing. It seems pretty clear across scripture that we will someday live in a new heaven and earth as believers and we will have eternal life. Those who reject Christ will not have that. So in relation to life everlasting, to eternal life, those who reject Christ are apart from it, they are dead to it, they have perished from it....gone of it....lost. That's true of the physically living as we speak, the physically dead as we speak, and the revelation of God's kingdom to come.

So God loves the word. He offers his son for salvation and we have the choice of accepting him or not. If we do we will have eternal "life". The opposite of life is death. A question might be, are there literal and figurative definitions to life and death? Sure, there are. Could those literal figurative definitions to life and death be associated with John 3:16? They can and are. It's both literal and figurative.
So I will understand you correctly ... eternal life opposite perish means ... perish does not mean to cease to exist/die/decay, but live on in another form/state/being?

Ahuli said:

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Perish means perish. In this sense, I discern that you and I agree - the fate of the lost is not an eternity of torment but rather cessation of existence.

Danus said:

Ahuli said:
So I will understand you correctly ... eternal life opposite perish means ... perish does not mean to cease to exist/die/decay, but live on in another form/state/being?

Eternal life means to live on. Parish clearly means to die, but Parish could mean to decay to nothing, it could mean to be "Dead to something", or cease to exist to something else.

Drew said:
Ahuli said:

Perish means perish. In this sense, I discern that you and I agree - the fate of the lost is not an eternity of torment but rather cessation of existence.
Indeed! If one group has eternal life with God, and the other group perishes, then the second group ceases to exist. Thank you.

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.[/quote]

What does the word "perish" mean to you vis a vis everlasting life. Thank you.[/quote]
Perish means perish. In this sense, I discern that you and I agree - the fate of the lost is not an eternity of torment but rather cessation of existence.[/quote]
Indeed! If one group has eternal life with God, and the other group perishes, then the second group ceases to exist. Thank you.[/quote]

But that is not what the word "perish" means in John 3:16 ! :shame

Danus said:
Danus said:

Ahuli said:

Eternal life means to live on. Parish clearly means to die, but Parish could mean to decay to nothing, it could mean to be "Dead to something", or cease to exist to something else.
I'm looking for perish vis a vis, or opposite, eternal life. A group with eternal life with God. The group without that is the group that perishes or dies for eternity.

The latter would be this group:

For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch. From Malachi 4

Thank you.

Mysteryman said:

What does the word "perish" mean to you vis a vis everlasting life. Thank you.[/quote]
Perish means perish. In this sense, I discern that you and I agree - the fate of the lost is not an eternity of torment but rather cessation of existence.[/quote]
Indeed! If one group has eternal life with God, and the other group perishes, then the second group ceases to exist. Thank you.[/quote]

But that is not what the word "perish" means in John 3:16 ! :shame[/quote]
Then please tell me what it means in John 3:16. Also, please explain the "shame" smilie.

Ahuli said:
Mysteryman said:

Then please tell me what it means in John 3:16. Also, please explain the "shame" smilie.[/quote]

Hi

LOL, it was the only icon that was shaking its head - NO - LOL

Here is how the verse in John 3:16 should be understood ---->

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not [perish] be unuseful, but have everlasting life"

The word "perish" does not mean to cease to exist anymore. It is talking about usefullness

Within eternal life, which is everlasting life, we become useful to God. Remember that his sheep hear his voice. And, For many are called, but few are chosen. Not ALL are called, but many.

Those not called, are not going to cease to exist anymore ! There is a resurrection of the dead, and the Word of God also calls the two resurrections, one of the just and the other of the unjust.

Every person who ever lived, will be raised from the dead. One group unto the "bema" - Judgement seat of Christ. And the other group goes before the white throne judgement, which is the judgement seat of the unjust. If their names have been taken out of the book of life by God himself. Then and only then will they be put into the second death forever and ever. But they will exist !

We heed the call from our Lord, our shepherd. So we are useful to the Lord. The word "perish" means to be unuseful. Yes, it means to decay, but in light of its usage and understanding. Meat that decays now becomes "unuseful".

We who believe on the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, will not be unuseful ! Which means we will be "Useful"

We are Ambassador's for Christ , unto the world < Useful :yes

Mysteryman said:
Ahuli said:
Mysteryman said:

Then please tell me what it means in John 3:16. Also, please explain the "shame" smilie.[/quote]

Hi

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not [perish] be unuseful, but have everlasting life"

The word "perish" does not mean to cease to exist anymore. It is talking about usefullness

Within eternal life, which is everlasting life, we become useful to God. Remember that his sheep hear his voice. And, For many are called, but few are chosen. Not ALL are called, but many.

Those not called, are not going to cease to exist anymore ! There is a resurrection of the dead, and the Word of God also calls the two resurrections, one of the just and the other of the unjust.

Every person who ever lived, will be raised from the dead. One group unto the "bema" - Judgement seat of Christ. And the other group goes before the white throne judgement, which is the judgement seat of the unjust. If their names have been taken out of the book of life by God himself. Then and only then will they be put into the second death forever and ever. But they will exist !

We heed the call from our Lord, our shepherd. So we are useful to the Lord. The word "perish" means to be unuseful. Yes, it means to decay, but in light of its usage and understanding. Meat that decays now becomes "unuseful".

We who believe on the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, will not be unuseful ! Which means we will be "Useful"

We are Ambassador's for Christ , unto the world < Useful :yes[/quote]
The 'unuseful' are then what? Perished? Decayed? Dead? Gone forever? The memory of them shall be forgotten? They are burnt up in the furnace of fire? (Mal 4)

Mysteryman said:
Ahuli said:
Mysteryman said:

Hi

The 'unuseful' are then what? Perished? Decayed? Dead? Gone forever? The memory of them shall be forgotten? They are burnt up in the furnace of fire? (Mal 4)[/quote]

Hi

No, not gone forever. Not burnt up in the furnace of fire. And God does not forget anyone. They are raised in the resurrection of the dead - I Corinth. 15:42 - corruption shall put on incorruption :transformer

Mysteryman said:
Ahuli said:
Mysteryman said:

Hi

The 'unuseful' are then what? Perished? Decayed? Dead? Gone forever? The memory of them shall be forgotten? They are burnt up in the furnace of fire? (Mal 4)[/quote]

Hi

Mal. 4 is talking about the "wicked", they will burn :onfire

Back