Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Ku Klux Klan Monument

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
You don't live in Alabama, you don't have any vested interest in Alabama, your input is just irrelevant meddling. You want to remember Forrest only for his involvement in the KKK, but people in the south remember him for other, more honorable things.

But isn't this a bit like saying that, for example, Heinrich Himmler was kind to cats? but I strongly doubt whether cat lovers would want to built a monument in his honor even if it were known that he did, hypothetically, show a lot of care for members of the feline species.

Lets not forget that the Civil War wasn't really started over slavery. Abolishing slavery was a strategic political move made during the war.

Start of The Civil War - April 12th 1861

Emancipation Proclamation - January 1st 1863

The Civil war had a lot more to do with "States Rights" and who was going to "mint" the currency.

The Emancipation Proclamation was really a case of doing the right thing, although the reasons for it were somewhat less than pure.

Although this doesn't excuse Forrest's involvement with the KKK, I think he needs to be viewed in a historical perspective. How many of our Founding Fathers owned slaves? Should we start tearing down monuments to them?

I personally wouldn't put up a monument to him, but really what Selma does is none of my business.

Thank you for explaining the REAL cause of the civil war. I have reservations of seeing Lincoln because the trailers seem to make slavery the civil war issue (though I still want to see it). While we are ready to kick historical figures out of the public eye for the calamities they wrought, lets start with the only man to balance the American budget, Andrew Jackson, who also forcibly removed thousands of people from their homes to worthless plots of dust. Or the man that instigated the French/Indian War, George Washington.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back