Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Ku Klux Klan Monument

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

kexkdxUxyPRwbqz-556x304-noPad.jpg

In Selma, Alabama, a monument to the first leader of the Ku Klux Klan is under construction on public land.
The statue of Confederate General Nathan Forrest -- infamous as the first Grand WIzard of the Klan and for massacring black Union soldiers at the Civil War battle of Fort Pillow -- even has the blessing of the Selma City Council.
Selma is home to some of the most important events of the Civil Rights Movement -- including "Bloody Sunday," when 600 activists fighting for African-American voting rights were attacked by state and local police.

Unless the city council stops it, a "bigger and better than ever" monument will be constructed to honor Nathan Bedford Forrest. A group called Friends of Forrest built the original monument, and now the group is planning to lay concrete for a new foundation, add a new bust of the KKK founder, enclose the monument in a wrought iron gate, and add night lighting.
Malika Sanders-Fortier is a community leader in Selma, and when she heard about the plan for the monument she was outraged. Malika is proud of her city's place in history, and she thinks that monuments celebrating violent racism and intolerance have no place in this country, let alone in a city like Selma, where the families of those attacked by the Klan still live.
Malika started a petition on Change.org demanding that the Selma City Council remove the monument to a founder of the Ku Klux Klan. Click here to add your name.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will always honor evil with evil as long as Satan is the god of this world. There will always be pagan statues, but Christ will crush them under his feet upon his return and then we will all live in love and harmony with him.

kexkdxUxyPRwbqz-556x304-noPad.jpg

In Selma, Alabama, a monument to the first leader of the Ku Klux Klan is under construction on public land.
The statue of Confederate General Nathan Forrest -- infamous as the first Grand WIzard of the Klan and for massacring black Union soldiers at the Civil War battle of Fort Pillow -- even has the blessing of the Selma City Council.
Selma is home to some of the most important events of the Civil Rights Movement -- including "Bloody Sunday," when 600 activists fighting for African-American voting rights were attacked by state and local police.

Unless the city council stops it, a "bigger and better than ever" monument will be constructed to honor Nathan Bedford Forrest. A group called Friends of Forrest built the original monument, and now the group is planning to lay concrete for a new foundation, add a new bust of the KKK founder, enclose the monument in a wrought iron gate, and add night lighting.
Malika Sanders-Fortier is a community leader in Selma, and when she heard about the plan for the monument she was outraged. Malika is proud of her city's place in history, and she thinks that monuments celebrating violent racism and intolerance have no place in this country, let alone in a city like Selma, where the families of those attacked by the Klan still live.
Malika started a petition on Change.org demanding that the Selma City Council remove the monument to a founder of the Ku Klux Klan. Click here to add your name.

This shows that they are proud of the work of the Klan leader. It is sad that something that should cause shame, makes some people feel like it is a badge of honour. This is all I have to say.:sad

With attitudes like this, no wonder the Civil War happened.

No wonder the Feds stepped in to protect the Freedom Riders 45 years ago, and to allow James Meredith to study.

I know they have a different view of the Civil War (excuse me, the war of "Northern Aggression") in the south, and there is great regional pride when remembering their brave soldiers who fought and died in that war...but they out to rethink this monumment thing. Forrest was more than just a brave soldier fighting for the sanctity of his homeland, he was a bitter, racist, bigot. His legacy of racial hatred ought to destroy any admiration whatever for him, even in the south.

Don't build a monument to honor this man.

ok well i dont like the kkk.but well i have family that fought in the civil war for the south. they were likely hated by the kkk since they were hebrews.

but in the state of louisana one dare not say im a reb. lets just say dems fighting words. those peoples hate the rebel flag.

Tried signing the petition against this monument but seems non US residents can't sign.

Tried signing the petition against this monument but seems non US residents can't sign.

Good! We already hear far too much about what Americans should and shouldn't do, from others who know very little about our country.

Good! We already hear far too much about what Americans should and shouldn't do, from others who know very little about our country.

What's wrong with a non US resident (well, I did live in the US for a few years as a kid) supporting this petition?

It's a monument to a character in history and at it's very worse it's still freedom of speech and expression.

Just because you don't like the message they convey that doesn't mean you have the right to silence it.

What's wrong with a non US resident (well, I did live in the US for a few years as a kid) supporting this petition?
Nothing really....

...but

One accusation that Americans hear over and over and over is how we interfere in everybody's else business and the whole "Yankee Go Home" and "American Imperialism".

Yet, I real a lot of overseas newspapers and it always amazes me at how much other countries and the people of other countries think they should weigh in on our own issues.

Here in America... except where there are real human rights violations, most average Americans really don't know or even care all that much about what happens in other nations. Human rights violations does get Americans moving and if there is a disaster or anything of that nature, Americans come out in droves to help...

But, say the folks of West Somerset, England had some kind of local statue of a person that is now recognized as being racist and that statue had been vandalized and the citizens were arguing as to whether to repair or rebuild the now very politically incorrect monument.... How would those citizens start feeling if Americans came in to tell them what they should do?

I picked West Somerset because it's a town about the same size as Selma, give or take a few thousand....

The monument to Forrest isn't in any way a human rights violation. It is, depending upon how one looks at it, a monument to a man who worked tirelessly to defend and uphold his countrymen's values... or... a bigoted, racist who oversaw a massacre of blacks and then joined the Klan (to give Forrest his due, he did pull out of the Klan when the Klan turned violent).

Given Selma's history of very real human rights violations and Forrest's own contributions to them... it's my opinion that it's time for Selma to retire the General once and for all. I can see that this is an issue that the citizens of Selma and even Alabama should weigh in on... especially given the political and economic impact of the message it would send should the statue remain.

But, I'm a long way from Alabama and visiting the state isn't on my Bucket List. Should the citizens of Selma and Alabama decide they have had enough of the "honoring" their racist past and not rebuild the monument, I'll say "Good for them!"... However, I don't see where it's any of my business to weigh in on what is really a local matter.

Wow this is so outrageous its almost funny. Almost. It's mostly just sad. Who in their right mind is proud of the KKK except for the absolute moral bankrupt. Its weird to think that places like this are like stuck in a time warp.

Nothing really....

...but

One accusation that Americans hear over and over and over is how we interfere in everybody's else business and the whole "Yankee Go Home" and "American Imperialism".

Yet, I real a lot of overseas newspapers and it always amazes me at how much other countries and the people of other countries think they should weigh in on our own issues.

Here in America... except where there are real human rights violations, most average Americans really don't know or even care all that much about what happens in other nations. Human rights violations does get Americans moving and if there is a disaster or anything of that nature, Americans come out in droves to help...

But, say the folks of West Somerset, England had some kind of local statue of a person that is now recognized as being racist and that statue had been vandalized and the citizens were arguing as to whether to repair or rebuild the now very politically incorrect monument.... How would those citizens start feeling if Americans came in to tell them what they should do?

I picked West Somerset because it's a town about the same size as Selma, give or take a few thousand....

The monument to Forrest isn't in any way a human rights violation. It is, depending upon how one looks at it, a monument to a man who worked tirelessly to defend and uphold his countrymen's values... or... a bigoted, racist who oversaw a massacre of blacks and then joined the Klan (to give Forrest his due, he did pull out of the Klan when the Klan turned violent).

Given Selma's history of very real human rights violations and Forrest's own contributions to them... it's my opinion that it's time for Selma to retire the General once and for all. I can see that this is an issue that the citizens of Selma and even Alabama should weigh in on... especially given the political and economic impact of the message it would send should the statue remain.

But, I'm a long way from Alabama and visiting the state isn't on my Bucket List. Should the citizens of Selma and Alabama decide they have had enough of the "honoring" their racist past and not rebuild the monument, I'll say "Good for them!"... However, I don't see where it's any of my business to weigh in on what is really a local matter.

Emmitt Till was 14 years old.. when this happened

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/till/sfeature/sf_look_confession.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

If members of a Nazi group had decided to set up a Statute of Hitler...Jews around the world would be condemning it. What this shows that there are still people who are not sorry for the pain they have inflicted on others...The Jews continue to remember what was done to them, BUT whenever black speak of the racist south which was so brutal and inhumane, people say Forget and move on. How can one move on when pockets of this hideous system is there. The thing about racism is that it can be subtle. Ignorance breeds racism and it seems that those who intend to set up this monunent are still in ignorance.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

You don't live in Alabama, you don't have any vested interest in Alabama, your input is just irrelevant meddling. You want to remember Forrest only for his involvement in the KKK, but people in the south remember him for other, more honorable things.

Emmitt Till was 14 years old.. when this happened

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/till/sfeature/sf_look_confession.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

If members of a Nazi group had decided to set up a Statute of Hitler...Jews around the world would be condemning it. What this shows that there are still people who are not sorry for the pain they have inflicted on others

I don't believe that for a minute. I know with absolute certainty that if you asked any one of the people who want this monument, they'll tell you they don't agree with his racist attitude and the KKK. But he was a brave Confederate soldier, and THAT'S what they want to honor. Those of us who don't have our history in the south like to think that the only thing they should be remembered for is the history of slavery. But, beleive it or not, there is a lot more to do with pride in southern culture than race relations.

I sincerly doubt you would want to be remembered for the most vile of your ancestors actions, but I bet you're still proud of what was good about them.

The comparison of Forrest to Hitler is a good one... as well as the reaction of the Jews around the world.

However, if the folks of Selma choose to rebuild the staute, ignorance would not be the issue. I don't think there's a person alive in the South today that is ignorant of the problems that the historically ingrained racism has caused.

Conscientious stupidity, maybe. There will be, most likely, some arguments from the "Friends of Forrest" (or whatever group it is that's trying to get the statue back) that Forrest should be memorialized, not as a racist but as a person of historical importance. If this is the case, then whatever monument to the man's historical contributions should most certainly include the massacre and the racist pro-slavery attitudes of the man. And, if the stories are not completely made up, also that in the 1870's, he worked with a black community group to try to ease tensions between the races and expressed views that were, for the time and for the man himself, actually progressive.

Honestly, if handled correctly and drawing upon the input of both historians and present day blacks, a historically accurate memorial could be a positive thing. As long as the full and complete history of the man, warts and all, is included as well as the impact he had on race relations, good and bad.

However, methinks this isn't what the "Friends of Forrest" are all about. However, not being a resident of Selma, and not knowing the people involved, nor the political climate this is taking place in... I can't say for certain.

Lets not forget that the Civil War wasn't really started over slavery. Abolishing slavery was a strategic political move made during the war.

Start of The Civil War - April 12th 1861

Emancipation Proclamation - January 1st 1863

The Civil war had a lot more to do with "States Rights" and who was going to "mint" the currency.

The Emancipation Proclamation was really a case of doing the right thing, although the reasons for it were somewhat less than pure.

Although this doesn't excuse Forrest's involvement with the KKK, I think he needs to be viewed in a historical perspective. How many of our Founding Fathers owned slaves? Should we start tearing down monuments to them?

I personally wouldn't put up a monument to him, but really what Selma does is none of my business.

Lets not forget that the Civil War wasn't really started over slavery. Abolishing slavery was a strategic political move made during the war.

Start of The Civil War - April 12th 1861

Emancipation Proclamation - January 1st 1863

The Civil war had a lot more to do with "States Rights" and who was going to "mint" the currency.

The Emancipation Proclamation was really a case of doing the right thing, although the reasons for it were somewhat less than pure.

Although this doesn't excuse Forrest's involvement with the KKK, I think he needs to be viewed in a historical perspective. How many of our Founding Fathers owned slaves? Should we start tearing down monuments to them?

I personally wouldn't put up a monument to him, but really what Selma does is none of my business.

Yeah, you're right. The Civil War wasn't startedover slavery...at least, not directly. Slavery was an issue that permeated just about any issue you could imagine at the time. The seceeding states where making a claim for state sovereignty, which might have been successful earlier in our history, but not by the 1860s.

If we read Lincoln's Cooper Union speech, we find the position of the Republican party was to oppose slavery, but not to try to end it abruptly. Most people who opposed slavery then thought the way to end it was to prohibit in new territories, and let it die a natural death.

But as the fighting wore on, Lincoln came to understand that ending slavery had to be a part of ending the war. He waited for a political moment - when the north could claim a victory on the battlefield at Antietam - to issue the Emancipation Proclamation, which even then ended slavery only in the states in rebellion.

By the time he was re-elected Lincoln understood slavery in a very different way from the way he had at the beginning of the war. His Second Inaugural Address was remarkable, a sermon really, on the evils of slavery, and he believed the war to be God's judgement on the nation. It was a very different Lincoln speaking at his second inauguration in 1865 from the Lincoln who spoke at Cooper Union in 1860.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back