Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Listening is an act of love

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Stefan

The more I read about Jesus in the four Gospels, the more I realize
that the Christian faith, to its very core, is all about love. That God
is love. And that God wants to transfer his love to man.

"For God so loved the world..." (John 3:16, King James Version)
... that he gave his only begotten Son."

And in Mark 12: 28-31, that the most important of all the commandments
God has given man is to love God with all your heart, with all your soul,
with all your mind and with all your strenght. And to love your neighbor
as yourself.

Time and time again in Jesus' teaching to us about the kingdom of God,
it is love that is lifted up and emphasized. It is about love for God and about
love for one another. And in the 13th and 17th chapters of the Gospel of John,
it is as if Jesus summarizes his mission and puts everything in the hands of his
disciples.

That from now on it is his disciples who will represent the kingdom of God
here on earth, by loving one another as Jesus has loved them. Yes, that the
whole mission of Jesus and the credibility of Jesus will be dependent of those
who believe in him. Whether or not they will love one another. Whether or not
people by seing them will believe that Jesus is the Son of God.

With these Bible words ringing in my head, I think it is very problematic that it
is not more of love today in our Christian congregations. By love I mean the most
basic of all acts of love which is to listen to and show interest in another human being.

Because being listened to, seen and acknowledged belongs to one of man's most basic
social needs. A need that we are created with and when fulfilled, makes us feel that we
as individuals have a value. That we as individuals have a meaning and a unique place
in the universe.

When we therefore listen to another human being, we are not doing this just for our
own sake; to receive information we believe may be of interest to us. We are also doing it
for the sake of meeting another person's needs. By our listening we increase another
person's mental well-being. Listening to and showing interest in another human being is
therefore an act of love.

But...

No matter how much I want to, I cannot see that there is more love today among us who
are Christians than among people who are not Christians. After visiting and talking to people
in different churches and congregations, I can see nothing but the same tendencies towards
self-preoccupation that prevail in the rest of society. That so many of us, in our talking to one
another, are seeking and wanting other people's listening and attention, while there are so
few willing to give it. Who primarily make sure to have their own needs met, but are not as
anxious to meet others. This, despite everything that Jesus during his time here on earth
tried to teach us.

Therefore, I believe that the future of Christianity is entirely dependent on our love for
one another. I have tried to write about this more thoroughly on a site called,
Listening and Christian love. www.listeningandchristianlove.com

I do believe that we as Christians must show the world that Jesus' words are true, when
he in Luke 22:26, after describing the values that prevail in the world says to his disciples,
"But ye shall not be so..." (King James Version)

We must show the world that we who have received Jesus in our hearts belong to another
kingdom, another reality, where love and listening reigns. Where people are not only making
sure to have their own needs met, but are also willing to meet others. That we can show the
world that the human community IRL, is still possible. And precious.

My name is Stefan Andersson and I live in Sweden.

We must show the world that we who have received Jesus in our hearts belong to another
kingdom, another reality, where love and listening reigns. Where people are not only making
sure to have their own needs met, but are also willing to meet others.
Amen !
My name is Stefan and I live in Sweden.
I am 57 years old and have grown up in the pentecostal movement.
Now, I mostly go to my local state church, close to where I live. I am glad to be here with you.
I am still in the pentecostal movement :) .

When you say "local state church" do you mean "The Church of Sweden" ?

With these Bible words ringing in my head, I think it is very problematic that it
is not more of love today in our Christian congregations. By love I mean the most
basic of all acts of love which is to listen to and show interest in another human being.

Because being listened to, seen and acknowledged belongs to one of man's most basic
social needs. A need that we are created with and when fulfilled, makes us feel that we
as individuals have a value. That we as individuals have a meaning and a unique place
in the universe.
First I like to say I went and read your article and very well written and pray many will see this and read it. This is a hugh problem in the secular church today as I reply to this part of your post.

I use the word "secular" as this is how many self professed churches have allowed themselves to fall from the love of God seeking their own vain glory walking in their own conceits as they have a form of Godliness, but deny the power there of, 2 Timothy 3:5. This is the type of church like the Church in Laodicea that was neither hot nor cold that Jesus will spue out of His mouth, Rev 3:14-16. Everything they do is to be seen by others, but yet they do it not in love for humanity. Seen this so much in my 67 years here on earth.

2Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2Timothy 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2Timothy 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
2Timothy 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Timothy 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

This is what we see in so many people who claim to be a Christian, but only give lip service to the Lord for He is truly not in their hearts.

Mat 5:13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
Mat 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Mat 5:15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Jesus said we are the light of the world and by the love we show to others as we let the light of Christ shine through us they will see our good works in loving others and carrying on the good works pf the Lord through us.

Not sure if you have read CF Community Message as this is what we are striving for here in this Christian forum that we walk in love towards one another as we build up and lift up one another in the love of the Lord.

Thank you as this is a topic that does not get discussed very often. You are a piece of fresh-air as you share your love with others.

First I like to say I went and read your article and very well written and pray many will see this and read it. This is a hugh problem in the secular church today as I reply to this part of your post.

I use the word "secular" as this is how many self professed churches have allowed themselves to fall from the love of God seeking their own vain glory walking in their own conceits as they have a form of Godliness, but deny the power there of, 2 Timothy 3:5. This is the type of church like the Church in Laodicea that was neither hot nor cold that Jesus will spue out of His mouth, Rev 3:14-16. Everything they do is to be seen by others, but yet they do it not in love for humanity. Seen this so much in my 67 years here on earth.

2Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2Timothy 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2Timothy 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
2Timothy 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Timothy 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

This is what we see in so many people who claim to be a Christian, but only give lip service to the Lord for He is truly not in their hearts.

Mat 5:13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
Mat 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Mat 5:15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Jesus said we are the light of the world and by the love we show to others as we let the light of Christ shine through us they will see our good works in loving others and carrying on the good works pf the Lord through us.

Not sure if you have read CF Community Message as this is what we are striving for here in this Christian forum that we walk in love towards one another as we build up and lift up one another in the love of the Lord.

Thank you as this is a topic that does not get discussed very often. You are a piece of fresh-air as you share your love with others.
Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I think this is a very serious issue today. And I think that talking without listening much to others is something that unfortunately increases with age. But I think we can become better listeners if we are paying more attention to the problem.

The more I read about Jesus in the four Gospels, the more I realize
that the Christian faith, to its very core, is all about love. That God
is love. And that God wants to transfer his love to man.

"For God so loved the world..." (John 3:16, King James Version)
... that he gave his only begotten Son."

And in Mark 12: 28-31, that the most important of all the commandments
God has given man is to love God with all your heart, with all your soul,
with all your mind and with all your strenght. And to love your neighbor
as yourself.

Time and time again in Jesus' teaching to us about the kingdom of God,
it is love that is lifted up and emphasized. It is about love for God and about
love for one another. And in the 13th and 17th chapters of the Gospel of John,
it is as if Jesus summarizes his mission and puts everything in the hands of his
disciples.

That from now on it is his disciples who will represent the kingdom of God
here on earth, by loving one another as Jesus has loved them. Yes, that the
whole mission of Jesus and the credibility of Jesus will be dependent of those
who believe in him. Whether or not they will love one another. Whether or not
people by seing them will believe that Jesus is the Son of God.

in the universe.

When we therefore listen to another human being, we are not doing this just for our
own sake; to receive information we believe may be of interest to us. We are also doing it
for the sake of meeting another person's needs. By our listening we increase another
person's mental well-being. Listening to and showing interest in another human being is
therefore an act of love.

But...

No matter how much I want to, I cannot see that there is more love today among us who
are Christians than among people who are not Christians. After visiting and talking to people
in different churches and congregations, I can see nothing but the same tendencies towards
self-preoccupation that prevail in the rest of society. That so many of us, in our talking to one
another, are seeking and wanting other people's listening and attention, while there are so
few willing to give it. Who primarily make sure to have their own needs met, but are not as
anxious to meet others. This, despite everything that Jesus during his time here on earth
tried to teach us.

Therefore, I believe that the future of Christianity is entirely dependent on our love for
one another. I have tried to write about this more thoroughly on a site called,
Listening and Christian love. www.listeningandchristianlove.com

I do believe that we as Christians must show the world that Jesus' words are true, when
he in Luke 22:26, after describing the values that prevail in the world says to his disciples,
"But ye shall not be so..." (King James Version)

sure to have their own needs met, but are also willing to meet others. That we can show the
world that the human community IRL, is still possible. And precious.

My name is Stefan Andersson and I live in SwedenRevelation 2:29 kjv
This is an old seemingly dead thread. I am just posting in case he might drop by again.

29. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

We listen to people and we listen to the message to those people.

The love of God goes two ways.
Hug folks doing Good
Rebuke those doing bad.

Tough love exists too. Not in a harsh manner out of a carnal human anger, but out of brotherly love continuing to seek the truth.

The letters to the churches in the first few chapters of Revelation show that God is listening and has advice.

You are welcome here. It has been 4 months since you posted last.

eddif

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back