Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] man's science vs. God

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
God is sitting in Heaven when a scientist says to Him, "Lord, we don't need You anymore. Science has finally figured out a way to create life out of nothing. In other words, we can now do what You did in the 'beginning'."

"Oh, is that so? Tell Me..." replies God.

'Well, " says the scientist, "we can take dirt and form it into the likeness of You and breathe life into it, thus creating man."

"Well, that's interesting . Show Me. "

So the scientist bends down to the earth and starts to mold the soil.

"Oh no, no, no..." interrupts God,
"Get your own dirt."

Biblereader said:
God is sitting in Heaven when a scientist says to Him, "Lord, we don't need You anymore. Science has finally figured out a way to create life out of nothing. In other words, we can now do what You did in the 'beginning'."

"Oh, is that so? Tell Me..." replies God.

'Well, " says the scientist, "we can take dirt and form it into the likeness of You and breathe life into it, thus creating man."

"Well, that's interesting . Show Me. "

So the scientist bends down to the earth and starts to mold the soil.

"Oh no, no, no..." interrupts God,
"Get your own dirt."

I've heard that one before. it's quite funny. I guess the verse about becoming wise, and being made fools would fit nicely. Because that is the point of the whole joke. But it pokes fun, and is not as bad as jokes I see made about Christians on atheist websites and forums. Not even half as bad. But I guess some are not able to laugh at themselves every so often. Taking everything to seriously can make life dull.

ha ha, good question.

Probably won't get any answers.

This was a tame joke, and I felt it was a good point to make to those who believe there is no need for God.

Ever think about genetic engineering? The monsters that man has already made, such as the mouse with human brain cells in it?
The goat whose milk makes spider silk?

How bizarre.

Look them up, use Google.

Biblereader said:
This was a tame joke, and I felt it was a good point to make to those who believe there is no need for God.

And what is the point?

I believe the point trying to be made here is that we all need God, even those who think they don't need Him need Him the most..

atonement said:
I believe the point trying to be made here is that we all need God, even those who think they don't need Him need Him the most..

In what way do I need God?

I could tell you what you expect me to say, but I won't bother. Your asking a question that only a unwise person would ask and only a unwise person would answer..

Atonement said:
I could tell you what you expect me to say, but I won't bother. Your asking a question that only a unwise person would ask and only a unwise person would answer..

From a certain point of view, sure. Unfortunately, this thread is meaningless since it assumes God exists in the first place.

Biblereader said:
Slevin, in what ways do you NOT need God?

Now you're shifting the burden of proof on me.

Slevin said:
From a certain point of view, sure. Unfortunately, this thread is meaningless since it assumes God exists in the first place.

You are at a Christian forum, are you not? What you will see here demonstrated, is faith. Just like some of science, and it's theories require faith. How? Has anyone seen the oort cloud yet? Believing in what you cannot see, is having faith that it is there.

Science even has god did it type excuses for what they cannot explain.

1) Natural selection.
2) Given enough time, anything can happen.
3) Odds don't count, because science no longer counts it.
4) If we can see it, it did happen. Assuming that evolution has become an absolute.
etc...

So there is a lot of faith and assumptions from the other side as well.

I know this is a light hearted thread - but if one wants to get all serious about it - there may indeed be a problem:

**It's possible to come up with some concise, detailed working definitions of what constitutes "man's science", ok??

**....can we develop a concise, detailed, working definition of "God" in this instance, as well???

I mean, really...here's where it could easily deteriorate into a meaningless apples & oranges thingy in no time. :wink:

ikester7579 said:
You are at a Christian forum, are you not?

So? Obviously the story is meant for "non-believers" to see a point in it, is it not? If so, why should I assume that God exists in order to receive the point?

What you will see here demonstrated, is faith. Just like some of science, and it's theories require faith. How? Has anyone seen the oort cloud yet? Believing in what you cannot see, is having faith that it is there.

You are mixing up two separate definitions of faith, ikester.

1) Natural selection.
4) If we can see it, it did happen. Assuming that evolution has become an absolute.
etc...

Uh, no, no, what? and no.

Depends on the definition you use and how you misrepresent the side.

Slevin, you have received a warning for violating TOS

Rule #1 - This is a Christian site, therefore, any attempt to put down Christianity and the basic tenets of our Faith will be considered a hostile act

Slevin said:
ikester7579 said:
You are at a Christian forum, are you not?

So? Obviously the story is meant for "non-believers" to see a point in it, is it not? If so, why should I assume that God exists in order to receive the point?

What you will see here demonstrated, is faith. Just like some of science, and it's theories require faith. How? Has anyone seen the oort cloud yet? Believing in what you cannot see, is having faith that it is there.

You are mixing up two separate definitions of faith, ikester.

[quote:9a28c]

1) Natural selection.
etc...

Uh, no, no, what? and no.

Depends on the definition you use and how you misrepresent the side.[/quote:9a28c]

The story isn't meant for non-believers. As I stated in my post near the top, this is a Christian scientist who believes in God. I think it's geared toward those who believe in God but who have decided they don't need God anymore because they can live their lives perfectly fine without God. (This is just what I got from it though, being atheist).

saltiness said:
The story isn't meant for non-believers. As I stated in my post near the top, this is a Christian scientist who believes in God. I think it's geared toward those who believe in God but who have decided they don't need God anymore because they can live their lives perfectly fine without God. (This is just what I got from it though, being atheist).

You might be right. Let's examine this incoherent story, though....apparently this "scientist" doesn't even know his own Bible:

"In other words, we can now do what You did in the 'beginning'." "

In the beginning, Genesis says that God created the heavens and the Earth, not formed man out of dirt. I think this "christian scientist" needs to read more rather than try and outshine a being far surpassing his own ability.

If it is directed to atheists, my statement still stands, though.

Alright, as you wish. The burden of proof is upon you, Slevin.

An evidentiary burden or burden of leading evidence is an obligation that shifts between parties over the course of the hearing or trial. A party may submit evidence that the court will consider prima facie proof of some state of affairs. This creates an evidentiary burden upon the opposing party to present evidence to refute the presumption.

Let's play it legally. Prima facie is a Latin expression (come by way of Middle English) meaning "on its first appearance," used in common law jurisdictions to denote evidence that is sufficient, if not rebutted, to prove a particular proposition or fact.
I asked you to tell me about your conversion experience. That's all.
You're hedging, which tells me a lot.

But, to be fair, since you're in a Christian forum, let's assume you are born again. What evidence in your mind and life are present on a day to day basis that tells you you are born again?
From my past experiences, I have never gotten evasive answers from those who are born again, and submissive to Jesus.
Not that I'm saying you are either or neither, I only asked you to tell a couple of sentences about your new life in Christ.

Slevin said:
[

In the beginning, Genesis says that God created the heavens and the Earth, not formed man out of dirt. I think this "christian scientist" needs to read more rather than try and outshine a being far surpassing his own ability.

If it is directed to atheists, my statement still stands, though.[/b]

No, wrong Slevin. The Bible DOES say God created man from the dust of the earth, and that He created THE DUST.
God made:
heaven, earth, light, darkness, day, evening, water, heavens, DRY LAND, the earth, the seas, mist, the ground, all the trees, animals, stars, the air, the molecules in the air, the atoms, their electrons....and, MAN, from the DUST OF THE EARTH that He made, also.

So, unbelieving scientists, who sometimes are haughty, should try making anything, using their OWN dust.

6.But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
7: And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

1: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2: And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3: And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4: And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5: And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
6: And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
7: And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
8: And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
9: And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
10: And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back