Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study "many are called, few are chosen"

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
what do y'all make of this verse? thanks. :)
EVERYbody is called.
Jesus' death and resurrection was for the benefit of everyone.
Everyone is called to believe and to submit to the Lordship of Jesus.
Some don't answer the call. Called - not chosen
Some believe but don't act like they believe. (lukewarm) Called - not chosen
Some believe and set their lives as second priority after serving Jesus and keeping His commandments. They get chosen.

imo

iakov the fool

what do y'all make of this verse? thanks. :)
It's the difference between name only xtians and those who are truly of God Holy Spirit sealed members of His church.
Many are called. How many celebrities have we seen acting like the devil but wearing a cross?
There's a difference between being called to follow Jesus and being Chosen to follow Jesus.
Ephesians 1:4-6
Before the world was made, God chose us in Christ. He chose us that we should be holy and good before him.
5 Because he loved us, he planned that we should be his own children. It is through Jesus Christ that we are God's children. That is the way God wanted it to be.
6 Praise him! His kindness is great and wonderful. We have been accepted by God through Jesus Christ, whom he loves so much.

This is the parable of the Wedding Feast Jesus taught and found in Matthew 22:1-14. The parable is likened to the kingdom of heaven. Many are called, but only a few will answer God's calling as they become Spiritually reborn again according to John 3:5-7 and Romans 10:9, 10.

personally, I lean towards a more Calvinist view of things. I was just looking for other interpretation, because...well...I'm not super focused on doctrine at this point, but I am curious.

Predestination makes sense to me. Why are some people spared horrible things and end up saved? Why do some seemingly upright people stray away from Christ? If salvation is more about God's work in our lives than our ongoing faith in Christ, then...to me....that explains a whole lot, plus it lines up with Scripture.

personally, I lean towards a more Calvinist view of things. I was just looking for other interpretation, because...well...I'm not super focused on doctrine at this point, but I am curious.

Predestination makes sense to me. Why are some people spared horrible things and end up saved? Why do some seemingly upright people stray away from Christ? If salvation is more about God's work in our lives than our ongoing faith in Christ, then...to me....that explains a whole lot, plus it lines up with Scripture.

I'm really not sure what Calvin actually taught, but I am well aware of what can be termed "hyper Calvinism." The problem here is the idea that God knowingly created people for the sole purpose of torturing them forever in hell.

That's not God, that's a malicious monster.

Theologically, trying to explain everything nice and neat creates such problems.
We can't blame those that fall away from the Faith on God not doing His part when Jesus said He would never leave us nor forsake us.

That leaves us with a part to actually DO. Responsibility. This idea lines up with the whole of Scripture.

I don't know man. I read a good bit of RC Sproul, and his explanation was like this: its not a tragedy that so many end up in Hell, its a miracle that God chooses to save anyone. Kinda changed my perspective...

And the context of where this phrase comes from?

Maybe (most definitely) it has the contextual clues that will help.

Like when Daniel says, "God sets up leaders and deposes them"

It's not a good thing to lean on man's doctrines or the theology of their Church, but what scripture actually says in the full context it is given. It's only through the Holy Spirit that confirms others teachings of being truth or error as our carnal logic bares no witness of truth, but only speculation. There is only one doctrine and that is what Jesus taught as were learn by reading what He has already taught. Commentaries and what others have written can be helpful at times, but also damaging as they lead us into a deceptive twisted word of God.

Salvation is not about works, but that of having a personal relationship with Christ through the Spiritual rebirth as we are saved by grace alone through faith that is Christ Jesus. The works we do are the continued works that Jesus left for us to continue in, Matthew 25:34-40. The more we press into Christ the more we learn that of His doctrine (word) as we rightly divide the word of God comparing scripture with scripture, OT with NT and discerning the spirits that teach us as one is a spirit of truth and the other of error.

Proverbs 3:
1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: 2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee. 3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart: 4 So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man. 5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. 7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. 8 It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.

I don't know man. I read a good bit of RC Sproul, and his explanation was like this: its not a tragedy that so many end up in Hell, its a miracle that God chooses to save anyone. Kinda changed my perspective...

Nothing against Sproul, but if you pit recent theology against ancient - that is a
no-brainer in my book!

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

It is a tragedy that many will end up in the lake of fire as God would that all would return back to Him as we are saved by His grace through faith that is Christ Jesus, but many refuse to believe.

are you sure they're refusing to believe? Or has God simply not chosen them to be able to believe?

Since God would that none should perish I have to say many refuse to believe and this is why many refuse to believe even though they have heard the Gospel preached yet deny it's truths.

2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

are you sure they're refusing to believe? Or has God simply not chosen them to be able to believe?
Esther 4:14
ESV
For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father’s house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?”

I believe Mordica believed Esther was chosen for her task, but understanding free will, knew if Esther didnt step up to the plate, God would choose another to deliver them.

I think this is a healthy outlook. Its fluid and dynamic.

Some will use Pharoah as an example of God hardening ones heart. But we need to keep in mind Pharoah hardened his heart first. The story has depth and a good interpretation would be that we all face judgment. Some in this lifetime, and others in the world to come.

Back