Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Masturbation is not a sin

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Where is your proof it is inseparable from lust?
If you didn't want the physiological high that comes with masturbation, you wouldn't do it.
The lust is for the "high".
Just like opium use or cigarette smoking.
Or a thousand other caterings to the flesh.

If you didn't want the physiological high that comes with masturbation, you wouldn't do it.
The lust is for the "high".
Just like opium use or cigarette smoking.
Or a thousand other caterings to the flesh.
That does not answer my question as that is only your opinion. Where is your proof?

I think the fact some can't stop doing it is the proof.
Still avoiding my question :shrug because there is no proof as it's all views and opinions when it comes to this subject.

For the most part the act is done out of sexual frustration with sexual fantasies, but (and that's a big but) not always as who knows the thoughts and intents of another. Only God can judge the secret chambers.

Still avoiding my question :shrug because there is no proof as it's all views and opinions when it comes to this subject.

For the most part the act is done out of sexual frustration with sexual fantasies, but (and that's a big but) not always as who knows the thoughts and intents of another. Only God can judge the secret chambers.
Let's substitute cigarette smoking for masturbation for a moment.
Do you not equate lust with a seeking of fleshly gratification?
If it wasn't fulfilling a fleshly desire, it wouldn't be a lust.
But cigarette smoking, and masturbation, are both totally a fulfilling of a fleshly desire.
Someone here uses it for "releasing tension, and "stress".
Where is God magnified in that?
Have you ever fasted...from food?
Fasting is our way of illustrating, experiencing our mind's power over the flesh.
If the Spirit in you can't overpower any manifestation of the flesh, the flesh has won the war.

Last edited:
Hopeful
I have pretty much given my views on this subject as in all I have posted. I'm moving on, but will keep my eye on this thread. IMO, apart from lust I can see nothing wrong with it as scripture does not say one way or the other. For the most part lust is involved which makes it a sin, but apart from lust who is to say yes or no.

Hopeful
I have pretty much given my views on this subject as in all I have posted. I'm moving on, but will keep my eye on this thread. IMO, apart from lust I can see nothing wrong with it as scripture does not say one way or the other. For the most part lust is involved which makes it a sin, but apart from lust who is to say yes or no.

For the most part ... but apart.. Kind of vague. Since masturbation is entirely "of the flesh" it is a sin. There is no debate.

For the most part ... but apart.. Kind of vague. Since masturbation is entirely "of the flesh" it is a sin. There is no debate.
Nothing vague as if it is not done out of lustful thoughts then where is the sin? We do many things that makes us fill good, but is it all sin in everything we do that we enjoy, no.

Nothing vague as if it is not done out of lustful thoughts then where is the sin? We do many things that makes us fill good, but is it all sin in everything we do that we enjoy, no.
Masturbation without lustful thoughts? Really? What thoughts accompany masturbation if not lust? The rest of your post is reductio ad absurdum. Equating everything we do with sin is nonsense if one is a Christian.

Hopeful
Thanks for the excahnges.

I've come to the conclusion that masturbation is not a sin. Several Scriptures have been misinterpreted to imply it's a sin. Here's reasons why they're taken out of context.

Gen. 38:9-10 "9 Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to his brother’s wife, he wasted his seed on the ground in order not to give offspring to his brother. 10 But what he did was displeasing in the sight of the Lord; so He took his life also."

Christians use this passage to say masturbation is a sin. They say Onan was killed for masturbating, but that's not what this passage is saying. It says he was killed for refusing to provide offspring to his brother's wife.

Matt. 5:28 says "28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman [gune] to lust [Epithumeo] for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

In Greek, Gune refers mostly to a married woman. We know this because addressed adultery in verse 27. Epithumeo is a Greek word meaning "to plan." It does not mean "to sexually fantasize."

Therefore, Jesus meant "if you plan to steal a married woman, you already committed adultery." It does not mean "if you have sex or sexual fantasies with a single woman, you committed adultery." It also doesn't mean "if you masturbate, you committed adultery" which would be ridiculous.
Masturbation opens the door to the enemy, satan.

Gentlemen,

There is no commandment in Scripture anywhere that speaks for or against masturbation. There are passages that, as For His Glory said, speak against lust so if lust is part of a person's masturbation then they are wrong in that.

Please forgive me if I get a little too graphic, but I assume we are all adults here; and I promise not to be tooo graphic.

Let us say for a minute that there is a married couple. This couple enjoy watching each other masturbate. The couple fantasize about each other while the other pleasures themselves. There is no sin in this. As Heb 13:4 says, "Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge." I take this verse to mean (since there is no context around it to limit the application) that there is nothing wrong with any sex act a couple performs within the confines of the two of them. So there are definitely times and situations where masturbation is not sin. But there are times when it could be a sin (or invite sin) as well.

Is masturbation fornication? No, I don't think so.
Is fantasizing about fornication sin (lust)? Yes.

And this topic falls right in line with the topic of eating meat sacrificed to idols. If you believe that there is sin in masturbating, then for you there is sin. If you believe that there is no sin (apart from lust), then for you there is no sin. (1 Cor 8).

Epithumeo is a Greek word meaning "to plan." It does not mean "to sexually fantasize."
Actually, epithumeo means any strong desire, good or bad. It does not mean to plan, although it can imply that. It is used 2 times in the same verse in Luke as spoken by our Lord.

Luke 22:15 NASB95
And He said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer;

or if we use "lust:" With Lust I have lusted to eat this Passover ...

In the LXX and in Paul's letters it is "covet."

Exodus 20:17
“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife or his male servant or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

It's all a conundrum with out a yes or no answer as scripture is silent on this other than the lustful thoughts that might accompany the act. If you are feeling convicted of the Holy Spirit then I would say you need to stop with the help of God taking this desire from you.

Gentlemen,

There is no commandment in Scripture anywhere that speaks for or against masturbation. There are passages that, as For His Glory said, speak against lust so if lust is part of a person's masturbation then they are wrong in that.

Please forgive me if I get a little too graphic, but I assume we are all adults here; and I promise not to be tooo graphic.

Let us say for a minute that there is a married couple. This couple enjoy watching each other masturbate. The couple fantasize about each other while the other pleasures themselves. There is no sin in this. As Heb 13:4 says, "Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge." I take this verse to mean (since there is no context around it to limit the application) that there is nothing wrong with any sex act a couple performs within the confines of the two of them. So there are definitely times and situations where masturbation is not sin. But there are times when it could be a sin (or invite sin) as well.

Is masturbation fornication? No, I don't think so.
Is fantasizing about fornication sin (lust)? Yes.

And this topic falls right in line with the topic of eating meat sacrificed to idols. If you believe that there is sin in masturbating, then for you there is sin. If you believe that there is no sin (apart from lust), then for you there is no sin. (1 Cor 8).
As our lusts were crucified with Christ, along with the flesh and vile affections, masturbation is just sin.
It is written..."And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." (Gal 5:24)
Can masturbater be "Christ's"?
I think you know my opinion.

It's all a conundrum with out a yes or no answer as scripture is silent on this other than the lustful thoughts that might accompany the act. If you are feeling convicted of the Holy Spirit then I would say you need to stop with the help of God taking this desire from you.
Is that how you feel about smoking cigarettes? Abortion on demand? Speeding through school zones? Throwing things off bridges into traffic? Car jacking?
Nothing in scripture forbids any of those.
But we have the mind of Christ now, and should be able to see the great darkness inherent in all those things...and more.

As our lusts were crucified with Christ, along with the flesh and vile affections, masturbation is just sin.
It is written..."And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." (Gal 5:24)
Can masturbater be "Christ's"?
I think you know my opinion.
It depends entirely on what you think about when you do it.
I am married, so if I am away from her for a long time and I remember her while I satisfy a physical desire, there is no sin, because list for my wife is condoned in Scripture.
But if I fantasize about someone else, then it is sin.

It depends entirely on what you think about when you do it.
I am married, so if I am away from her for a long time and I remember her while I satisfy a physical desire, there is no sin, because list for my wife is condoned in Scripture.
But if I fantasize about someone else, then it is sin.
Lusts are manifestations of still living in the flesh.
Christians walk in the Spirit, since their crucifixion of the flesh and rebirth.

Lusts are manifestations of still living in the flesh.
Christians walk in the Spirit, since their crucifixion of the flesh and rebirth.
If that is your interpretation then live that way. I see that a man and his wife are free to revel in each other’s bodies and to lust after each other without sin. God made marriage to be a safe place to experience the gift of physical pleasure that He created for us.

Back