Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

MERITOURIOUS WORKS

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
At communion time at Mass there's a little water added to the wine.
It represents the community and it adds their "sacrifices" to the sacrifice of Jesus.
Not that any additional is needed, but Paul did say that he adds his sacrifices to our Lord's.

Hebrews 13:6
Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

Romans 12:1
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

Ephesians 5:2
And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Philippians 4:18
I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God.

If you really want to know more about sacrifice,
see here:

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Sacrifice

This term is identical with the English offering (Latin offerre) and the German Opfer
www.newadvent.org
GO TO S FOR SACRIFICE

There is a very long article here by Jimmy Akin about Righteousness and Merit and the differences in the Protestant and Catholic uses of the words. It is in three sections.
I. Words And Word-Fights
II. Righteousnessritumk
III. Merit
I'll try and summarise the section on Merit by quoting some key points from it..

As I understand it, most Protestants equate merit with earn. So works that merit are earning something.
In Catholic theology merit equates with reward so that works that merit are rewarded. So rather than meritorious acts we should think of them as rewardable acts. Meritum is the Latin translation of reward.
Akin says:
Brought about by God's grace, acts which please God are done by Christians (Phil. 4:18, Col. 1:9-10, 1Th. 4:1, Heb. 13:16, 13:20-21) and God chooses to reward them (Rom. 2:6, 1 Cor. 3:8, 4:6, 2 Cor. 5:10, Gal. 6:6-10, Rev. 2:23, 22:12). These elements, God's grace, the acts pleasing to God that they bring about, and the reward God chooses to give, are the key elements in the Catholic theology of merit, as we shall see.

There are three forms of merit - congruous, condign, and strict.
In all three forms, there is a similarity between the action and the reward, and it is this similarity which makes it fitting for the reward to be given for that work, which is why the term "merit" is applied. In all cases of merit, an action merits its reward in the sense that the action is similar to the reward in a certain way and thus makes it fitting that the reward be given. The difference between the kinds of merit depends on the kind of similarity between the action and the reward and, correspondingly, it depends on the kind of fittingness there is that the action be given the reward.

The basic principle of supernatural merit, …the thing that makes it supernatural, is the grace which God gives to enable there to be a supernatural act in the first place, the only kind of act for which a supernatural reward is fitting

Congruent Merit
Congruent merit occurs with respect to God when a person under the influence of actual grace does an action which pleases God but which he has not promised to reward. Some times God chooses to reward the act, sometimes not. For example, if we obey Jesus' instruction to supernaturally love our enemies and pray for them; however, God has not promised that he will answer our prayers concerning them, and although he is pleased with the prayers we are offering out of supernatural love for them, he may not give them the blessing we are asking for them. It may simply not be God's will for that to happen. The same is true of prayers for ourselves; even when we pray from supernatural charity we are likely only congruently meriting the thing we are asking for since God has not promised to give it.

Condign Merit
The obvious next higher form of merit is one in which God has promised to reward the action. In this case when a person under the influence of actual graces performs the supernatural act, God is not only pleased by the act but he is guaranteed to reward it because he has promised to do so. This kind of merit is known in Catholic theology as condign merit.

An important point in both cases is that the reward God gives is not equal in value to the act which God rewards, but superior to it because it is supernatural.

Strict Merit
If our actions were equal in value to his reward then what would have occurred would be referred to in modern Catholic parlance as strict merit. Strict merit is what would occur when someone gives to God something of equal intrinsic value to the reward he has promised to give. The trick is, only Christ is capable of doing this since only Christ is capable of doing things of infinite value for God. Other humans are totally incapable of this because we lack the infinite dignity of the Godhead supervening on our actions.

There is a very long article here by Jimmy Akin about Righteousness and Merit and the differences in the Protestant and Catholic uses of the words. It is in three sections.
I. Words And Word-Fights
II. Righteousnessritumk
III. Merit
I'll try and summarise the section on Merit by quoting some key points from it..

As I understand it, most Protestants equate merit with earn. So works that merit are earning something.
In Catholic theology merit equates with reward so that works that merit are rewarded. So rather than meritorious acts we should think of them as rewardable acts. Meritum is the Latin translation of reward.
Akin says:
Brought about by God's grace, acts which please God are done by Christians (Phil. 4:18, Col. 1:9-10, 1Th. 4:1, Heb. 13:16, 13:20-21) and God chooses to reward them (Rom. 2:6, 1 Cor. 3:8, 4:6, 2 Cor. 5:10, Gal. 6:6-10, Rev. 2:23, 22:12). These elements, God's grace, the acts pleasing to God that they bring about, and the reward God chooses to give, are the key elements in the Catholic theology of merit, as we shall see.

There are three forms of merit - congruous, condign, and strict.
In all three forms, there is a similarity between the action and the reward, and it is this similarity which makes it fitting for the reward to be given for that work, which is why the term "merit" is applied. In all cases of merit, an action merits its reward in the sense that the action is similar to the reward in a certain way and thus makes it fitting that the reward be given. The difference between the kinds of merit depends on the kind of similarity between the action and the reward and, correspondingly, it depends on the kind of fittingness there is that the action be given the reward.

The basic principle of supernatural merit, …the thing that makes it supernatural, is the grace which God gives to enable there to be a supernatural act in the first place, the only kind of act for which a supernatural reward is fitting

Congruent Merit
Congruent merit occurs with respect to God when a person under the influence of actual grace does an action which pleases God but which he has not promised to reward. Some times God chooses to reward the act, sometimes not. For example, if we obey Jesus' instruction to supernaturally love our enemies and pray for them; however, God has not promised that he will answer our prayers concerning them, and although he is pleased with the prayers we are offering out of supernatural love for them, he may not give them the blessing we are asking for them. It may simply not be God's will for that to happen. The same is true of prayers for ourselves; even when we pray from supernatural charity we are likely only congruently meriting the thing we are asking for since God has not promised to give it.

Condign Merit
The obvious next higher form of merit is one in which God has promised to reward the action. In this case when a person under the influence of actual graces performs the supernatural act, God is not only pleased by the act but he is guaranteed to reward it because he has promised to do so. This kind of merit is known in Catholic theology as condign merit.

An important point in both cases is that the reward God gives is not equal in value to the act which God rewards, but superior to it because it is supernatural.

Strict Merit
If our actions were equal in value to his reward then what would have occurred would be referred to in modern Catholic parlance as strict merit. Strict merit is what would occur when someone gives to God something of equal intrinsic value to the reward he has promised to give. The trick is, only Christ is capable of doing this since only Christ is capable of doing things of infinite value for God. Other humans are totally incapable of this because we lack the infinite dignity of the Godhead supervening on our actions.
This is for Jethro Bodine

Mungo was nice enough to post the above.
He knows much more than I ever will about Catholic doctrine.

I'm going to read about the 3 types of merit, and I want to equate this with how Protestants understand it...IOW, in our language.

I didn't know Catholic doctrine taught 3 types, I only knew about merit.
I also want to say, as I'm sure you'll notice, that Catholic theology goes much deeper into its teachings than Protestantism does. Guess they've had more time to study!

Merit would be like when we say that we get a reward, or a crown - this happens after salvation.
IOW, God rewards us for our good works, not with salvation, but in some other way that we may not really even understand right now.

Also, this involves grace. God gives to each a measure of grace to be able to do what He has/had planned for them.
The more grace we use, the more grace we get. This could get more complicated because there's infused grace and imputed grace and I can't remember the difference right now and I'm not sure it's important. I think I'm speaking of infused grace right now.

That's about it.
Remember to tag me in as we said.

And thanks to Mungo for such a complete job.

Can the part about works being meritorious toward salvation be put in Readers Digest condensed form?

I've taken a lot of comfort out of being able to understand and share the gospel in short and concise to the point conversations. I've lost patience for the long winded explanations.

Can the part about works being meritorious toward salvation be put in Readers Digest condensed form?

I've taken a lot of comfort out of being able to understand and share the gospel in short and concise to the point conversations. I've lost patience for the long winded explanations.
Hi J,
Where do you see works being meritorious toward salvation in the above?
If a person has no faith in God...no works could save him.
God must be known and trusted for a person to be saved.

Back