Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

MESSIANIC JUDAISM

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

GodsGrace

CF Ambassador
This thread is especially for a new member, D-D-W ....

I think we all know what Messianic Judaism is...maybe it could be explained for those that may not know.

What I'm wondering is how one goes from being a Wesleyan Protestant to a Messianic Jew....
Wouldn't one have to be raised in the Jewish religion to be a Messianic Jew?

Are there any rituals involved in order to change?

You can answer one or all or none!

Rituals to join? Not really.

MJ is both a very ancient and rather new movement within the New Covenant redeemed community. We take our inspiration from the first century congregation in Jerusalem under James as seen in Acts and from other extra biblical sources. That is the ancient part.

The "new" part goes back to the later 19th century, mostly starting in the 1880s. Orthodox Rabbi Isaac Lichtenstien in Hungary became a believer after reading the NT in Hebrew. He converted his entire congregation and wrote a lot about the Messiah, but would not get any of it published until after his death in 1906. Chassidic Rabbi Joseph Rabinowitz in Moscow became a believer in the 1880s and started several messianic synagogues in western Russia. In the 1890s Orthodox rabbi Leopold Cohn in Hungary started frantically searching the scriptures and talmud for the Messiah after the untimely death of his father. His search eventually brought him to New York where he found his Messiah.

What is now called "Messianic Judaism" was known by several names before that term was accepted in the 1970s.

We try to be a Judaism that teaches the New Covenant. That is a serious error to most evangelical christians and total heresy to regular Judaism. But we firmly believed that God did NOT want to start a new religion when our Lord came to earth. And we also believe (per Romans 11.11) that the #1 calling of every gentile christian is to "make Israel jealous," in order to drive them to the Messiah. To do that we have to be something that does not look pagan to religious and normative Jews. So our services are (to one degree or another) patterned after contemporary synagogue services.

Our doctrinal stance will be difficult to nail down.
You know the old joke: 3 Jews in a room and there being 4 opinions. We resemble that remark.

More later.

MJ is both a very ancient and rather new movement within the New Covenant redeemed community. We take our inspiration from the first century congregation in Jerusalem under James as seen in Acts and from other extra biblical sources. That is the ancient part.

The "new" part goes back to the later 19th century, mostly starting in the 1880s. Orthodox Rabbi Isaac Lichtenstien in Hungary became a believer after reading the NT in Hebrew. He converted his entire congregation and wrote a lot about the Messiah, but would not get any of it published until after his death in 1906. Chassidic Rabbi Joseph Rabinowitz in Moscow became a believer in the 1880s and started several messianic synagogues in western Russia. In the 1890s Orthodox rabbi Leopold Cohn in Hungary started frantically searching the scriptures and talmud for the Messiah after the untimely death of his father. His search eventually brought him to New York where he found his Messiah.

What is now called "Messianic Judaism" was known by several names before that term was accepted in the 1970s.

We try to be a Judaism that teaches the New Covenant. That is a serious error to most evangelical christians and total heresy to regular Judaism. But we firmly believed that God did NOT want to start a new religion when our Lord came to earth. And we also believe (per Romans 11.11) that the #1 calling of every gentile christian is to "make Israel jealous," in order to drive them to the Messiah. To do that we have to be something that does not look pagan to religious and normative Jews. So our services are (to one degree or another) patterned after contemporary synagogue services.

You know the old joke: 3 Jews in a room and there being 4 opinions. We resemble that remark.

More later.
I have great concern for Messianic Jews.
They tend to be more Jewish in their faith than Christian
I stuck with Jews for Jesus.

Messianic Jews tend to want their heritage as a Jew to be the over riding factor in their faith.
There's nothing wrong with that except it causes division with Gentiles, who are not of Jewish origin.
As Paul told the Gentles they need not be circumcised.
A gentile cannot join in and become more Jewish because they are not Jewish.
It is up to the Jew to become more like the Gentile if we are to be one with Christ.

As I said, I stuck with Jews for Jesus.
The founder, Moishe Rosen had a degree from a Baptist seminary.
He used Proverbs 30:4 to silence unbelieving Jews.

More later.is jewish voice jonathan bernstein?
thanks

Last edited:
I have great concern for Messianic Jews.
They tend to be more Jewish in their faith than Christian
I stuck with Jews for Jesus.

Messianic Jews tend to want their heritage as a Jew to be the over riding factor in their faith.
There's nothing wrong with that except it causes division with Gentiles, who are not of Jewish origin.
As Paul told the Gentles they need not be circumcised.
A gentile cannot join in and become more Jewish because they are not Jewish.
It is up to the Jew to become more like the Gentile if we are to be one with Christ.

As I said, I stuck with Jews for Jesus.
The founder, Moishe Rosen had a degree from a Baptist seminary.
He used Proverbs 30:4 to silence unbelieving Jews.
Your post seems to make the assumption that God wants everyone to be gentiles. I cannot see that in scripture. It also seems to discount the virulent antisemitism of Rome in the 2nd and 3rd centuries and how that affected the church.

Unity is not uniformity. The biggest issue with Protestant Christianity is it demands uniformity. In other words, look like me, act like me and think like me. To this end, Protestant Christianity will always fail because they close up the freedom we have in Christ.

In Genesis 49, Jacob calls his 12 sons and says, “Gather around” and then proceeded to give each of them a blessing.

Each blessing was very different than the other, yet Jacob still said, “Gather around”.

When Israel finally settled into the promised land, each one of Jacobs 12 sons had grew into a tribe, and each tribe was granted its own land. And it’s interesting that these 12 unique tribes “gathered around” the Temple to worship.

Paul, when writing to the gentiles explained it this way.
King James Bible
If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

Last edited:
We try to be a Judaism that teaches the New Covenant. That is a serious error to most evangelical christians and total heresy to regular Judaism. But we firmly believed that God did NOT want to start a new religion when our Lord came to earth.

I don’t see where God ever started any “religion”.

He desires covenant relationship.

What I read in the Bible is God made covenant with Abraham. In Christ we are grafted into that covenant, which became the New Covenant.

The New Covenant should be viewed as the Renewed Covenant;
Refreshed.

JLB

This could be said of people in general. I have discussed MJ with many different people who are involved in that movement and all seem to have different views.

I look forward to hearing your views and discussing these things with you.

JLB

How do you personally feel about eating pork or shrimp?
Do you believe it’s a sin to eat these things? JLB
LOL!!! It always comes down to something like that, doesn't it?

If I say yes, I am accused of being "under the Law." If I say no, then what I do and believe is irrelevant.

If I say yes, I am accused of being "under the Law." If I say no, then what I do and believe is irrelevant.
Do you worship on Saturdays in a Synagogue?
Do you realize that separates you from all of Christianity besides yourselves.
Do you believe this is what God wants of you?
Why?

so true - and then the debate begins

Torah observance is something that has been confused by misunderstanding what TO paul said - all the disciples walked as their Teacher walked and continued to be TO to the end

Do you worship on Saturdays in a Synagogue?
Do you realize that separates you from all of Christianity besides yourselves.
Do you believe this is what God wants of you?
Why?
This is in the Lounge which seems to be a non-debate folder:

Settle in for some casual conversation and fellowship!

Debate is not "casual conversation."

If your reason for asking is for friendly curiosity, I will answer that. If it is fodder for you to attack Messianics, then I will not. So far it is sounding like the latter.

Just share your own perspective and the scripture you believe is relevant.

JLB

Torah observance is something that has been confused by misunderstanding what TO paul said - all the disciples walked as their Teacher walked and continued to be TO to the end

Why dont you clarify it for us, so we are not confused by what Paul said.

For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.
Ephesians 2:14-16

What was it that seperated Jew from Gentile, that Christ abolished?

JLB

This is in the Lounge which seems to be a non-debate folder:

Settle in for some casual conversation and fellowship!

Debate is not "casual conversation."

If your reason for asking is for friendly curiosity, I will answer that. If it is fodder for you to attack Messianics, then I will not. So far it is sounding like the latter.
Well, we're all curious about you.
You are different.
And your signature doesn't really say anything unless you explain it.

What is TO?
Why do you use insider talk?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back