Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

MESSIANIC JUDAISM

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This is in the Lounge which seems to be a non-debate folder:

Settle in for some casual conversation and fellowship!

Debate is not "casual conversation."

If your reason for asking is for friendly curiosity, I will answer that. If it is fodder for you to attack Messianics, then I will not. So far it is sounding like the latter.
thank you for your wonderful example of fellowshipping and not debating

it is an excellent God-glorifying way to preserve unity in a diverse group with a vast difference in beliefs

brachot

How do you personally feel about eating pork or shrimp?

Do you believe it’s a sin to eat these things?

JLB
I don’t think it matters what he believes on the matter of what he eats as long as he eats with thankfulness.
I thought about this section of scripture.

1 Corinthians 10 NIV
25 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience,(AJ) 26 for, “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.”[f](AK)

27 If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you(AL)without raising questions of conscience. 28 But if someone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, both for the sake of the one who told you and for the sake of conscience.(AM) 29 I am referring to the other person’s conscience, not yours. For why is my freedom(AN) being judged by another’s conscience? 30 If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?(AO)

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.(AP) 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble,(AQ) whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God(AR)— 33 even as I try to please everyone in every way.(AS) For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many,(AT) so that they may be saved.

I don’t think it matters what he believes on the matter of what he eats as long as he eats with thankfulness.

1 Corinthians 10 NIV
25 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience,(AJ) 26 for, “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.”[f](AK)

27 If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you(AL)without raising questions of conscience. 28 But if someone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, both for the sake of the one who told you and for the sake of conscience.(AM) 29 I am referring to the other person’s conscience, not yours. For why is my freedom(AN) being judged by another’s conscience? 30 If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?(AO)

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.(AP) 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble,(AQ) whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God(AR)— 33 even as I try to please everyone in every way.(AS) For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many,(AT) so that they may be saved.
I'm having a grilled cheese and a hot cherry pepper on the side for lunch.

Oh...............
I tried to buy a Torah once, too much money, it's for rich people.
An actual kosher Torah scroll? Of course they are expensive.

First off, it takes a LOT of sheep skin to write on. 36 to 50 inches wide by about 100 feet long.

And then a certified scribe has to write the entire 5 books of Moses by hand in Hebrew. Once one column is done, a letter by letter comparison is done and if there are any mistakes, not just in the letters themselves but in their placement and ornamentation, the entire column is cut out and redone. It takes on average a year to do that, so the price includes that guy's annual salary.

An actual kosher Torah scroll? Of course they are expensive.

First off, it takes a LOT of sheep skin to write on. 36 to 50 inches wide by about 100 feet long.

And then a certified scribe has to write the entire 5 books of Moses by hand in Hebrew. Once one column is done, a letter by letter comparison is done and if there are any mistakes, not just in the letters themselves but in their placement and ornamentation, the entire column is cut out and redone. It takes on average a year to do that, so the price includes that guy's annual salary.
And they actually sell those?
Someone does that to make a living?

I was talking about a Torah that had several volumes and cost several thousand dollars.
That was back in the 1980's.

1 Corinthians 10 NIV

That would have been what I would have replied to him, concerning what I ate, whether pork or shrimp or beef...

The question remains.

Does he consider it a sin to eat pork or shrimp?

Maybe Truthfrees can answer since he seems to consider himself MJ.

For me I believe what Paul said --

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

This should settle it since Physical Circumcision was required under the law.

JLB

What does it matter as long as he is giving thanks for what he is eating?

What does it matter what I eat as long as I give thanks.

You are asking the wrong person, Jeff.

I am in the New Covenant, and believe we are free to eat all foods.

It doesn’t matter to me what people eat.

It is the teachings of Judaism that is against people eating pork or shrimp. They are the ones that have food laws, and require strict adherence.

I was asking him what he believes, since he stated there were many different views within the Messianic Community.

I was hoping for some friendly conversation, and to get to know him.

:shrug

JLB

Do you worship on Saturdays in a Synagogue?
Do you realize that separates you from all of Christianity besides yourselves.
Do you believe this is what God wants of you?
Why?
so because he like me ,though he acted on it ,sensed God in the Torah his day worship makes him anathema?
?
my church had peshac before Easter ,I learned it wasn't perfect but our Seder feast drew us to Jesus.recited in Hebrew with the gelt as well

the first five books of the bible are for the rich ?
Come on Jason, anethema?
Get serious.
Have you ever seen a Torah?
Maybe you don't understand what I am talking about.
First five books of the Bible?
Show me where it says Jewish women can get a divorce.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back