Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Must I go to church?

Classik

385277_10151354656128485_319160607_n.jpg

There are verses that say that we need a preacher to call on his name, and that forsaking the assembly is willfully sinning, but aside from those verses, I wonder where is the heart and desire of those who won't go to Church. For me it's a joyous occasion and one I don't want to miss.

I think going to church is important, and that we should go. There are many forms that could take however. I have gone to many churches while living in Texas the past 11 years while we tried to find one that was suitable. Some deny home churches are scriptural but I believe they are just as much as a church that has their own building. There is someone (I can't remember his name, I will ask my mom later) that in his book wrote that what makes a church a church is if it preaches the gospel, practices baptism, and does the Lord's supper, which I agree with so if a home church does that I think that counts as going to church.

There have been times I have not wanted to go to church though, but that was for a specific church because I wanted to leave it. One of the elders/pastors had a habit of excommunicating people for unbiblical reasons and after excommunicating a couple of the other elders unjustly he started excommunicating those who started going to churches that he did not think qualified as a "true church". There was also that due to my illness I could not at the time go to church much because I could not breathe so one of the elders in front of the whole congregation while praying was talking about how it was sin for me and my sisters to be too sick to go... So basically that ramble is to say I can understand how under certain circumstances someone might not want to go to a specific church but I think they should still have the desire, or at least go, to a church.

I have mixed feelings on this and can generally agree with everything that has been written so far. I am the Church. Where two or more are gathered in my name...I feel this is church too. I do not feel like you need to be performing baptisms in your basement for it to be church. In a way, I sort of fear organized churches, because of slick talking deception. For this reason, I hardly attend church. Sometimes I will.

But a couple few months ago a friend came and booted me out of bed and said let's go to church together so I did. He took me to a church that I hadn't been to before and when I walked in to it...I was slammed hard with the presence of the Holy Spirit. Very strong. The pastor had a good message also. He talked directly to me the whole time, hmm. I think good fellowship can be found in church, but one must be careful to divide and discern very much so. I feel the need to return to that church. It sure would be nice if it was closer to me and not so far away though.

There's good fellowship on this board too.

There's a church up your way that I would love to attend. I've heard the pastor teach and so I know in depth what he believes. But alas I as hours....away.

We have three churches Baptist (no gifts, in fact when the pastor invited my daughter, she said I believe in the gifts, he just said OH and departed.) The other to are non-denominational, which I don't mind, but at one my friend just slightly cupped her hands with her arms down bent at elbows in worship and she was told "we don't do that here". And the third is OK but I sat under that Pastor when he was here many yrs. ago and frankly it's not much meat. Besides, it's mostly old folks like me.

So...I watch a couple pastors, almost daily that actually teach, watch classes online studies in OT and NT, and come here.

It is in fact moral (permit me to say) to always attend church services. You just don't do it at home.

These are what you miss:
1. The choir
2. Pastor's sermon
3. Child dedication (if any that day)
4. Testimonies
5. Collective prayers and the babble that go with collective praying
6. Offering
7. Holy Communion (if any on that day)
8. Sunday School classes
9. The hi hello of backslapping we do after services
10. Congregation
11. Announcement
12. Hymnal sessions
13. Etc etc.

So why wouldn't someone not be motivated to go to church??? You can't do all those at home.

It is in fact moral (permit me to say) to always attend church services. You just don't do it at home.

These are what you miss:
1. The choir
2. Pastor's sermon
3. Child dedication (if any that day)
4. Testimonies
5. Collective prayers and the babble that go with collective praying
6. Offering
7. Holy Communion (if any on that day)
8. Sunday School classes
9. The hi hello of backslapping we do after services
10. Congregation
11. Announcement
12. Hymnal sessions
13. Etc etc.

So why wouldn't someone not be motivated to go to church??? You can't do all those at home.

That doesn't say, however, that kind of gathering constitutes "church." It constitutes fellowship. Fellowship isn't church, either.

If two or more are gathered in Jesus name and having fellowship in sharing the word with each other does not constitute Gods true Church, then what is the number of people that have to gather together to be called Gods true Church. We assemble in forums, maybe not all at the same time, but many in numbers as we share Gods word in some teaching and others receiving as we allow the Holy Spirit speaks through us and also leads us to discern truth from error so I guess this would x out the factor of gathering as in assembling ourselves to Gods word. Is Gods true Church that of four walls, or the gathering together of His saints in worship to Him by sharing and teaching His word. Sorry, but I refuse to attend Churches in my area because I am not sitting under false teachings just to justify myself going to Church and being a good little Christian by doing so. Until the Holy Spirit leads me to a actual four walled building I will stay at home and study my Bible with the Holy Spirit and assemble with my friends as we share together the word of God.

Which church?

Not going to church regularly doesn't seem to affect my walk with the Lord. I pray very much and read every day, but still, I do wonder if my walk would be even better if I did in fact attend regularly.

E: I'm sure it would; there's a blessing to being gathered in the Lord's name with His people.

Which church?

Not going to church regularly doesn't seem to affect my walk with the Lord. I pray very much and read every day, but still, I do wonder if my walk would be even better if I did in fact attend regularly.

It helps my soul to just attend a worship service even if I know anyone else in the place.

Back