Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study My Kingdom is not of this World. John 18:36

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
In John 18:36, The word "world" means "cosmos" (Gr. kosmos). It means the order or arrangement of the earth, including it's inhabitants (morality). In other words the principles it is governed under, and it's curse (Rom. 8:18-25). When Christ said, "His Kingdom is not of this world" (John 18:36), He did not mean His Kingdom was only in Heaven, He meant that this earthly period in time was under the curse and principles of Satan, In whom is the Prince or ruler of the present world system. (John 12:31; John 14:30; John 16:11). And was not the Kingdom as it would be under God. Adam drew down into his ruin a cursed or ruined creation of which he was lord and head, and so, the cosmos came under the influence of Satan. (Matt. 4:1-11)

In Fact, The Lord's prayer is, "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven." Christ will bring into moral unity, with God, and into eternal life, all of the new creation, of which He is Lord and Head (Eph. 1:22-23). Even the animal and material creation, (cursed for mans sake) (Gen. 3:17) will be delivered by Christ. (Rev. 21:1-8).

That brings up the question, As a born again believer, how are we to live in this world using the word of God and the Holy Spirit as our new nature? The Bible makes it plain that Satan is the god of this world (Gr. Kosmos). In 1 John 5:19 we are told that, "The whole world lieth in the wicked one (Satan)",. The world hates God and His Son. Jesus said, "The world hateth me because I testify of it. (John 7:7). He also says that if we were of the world, the world would love his own. But I have chosen you out of the world, therefore THE WORLD HATETH YOU. "If they have persecuted me, they will persecute you." (John 15:19-20).

• "I have given them thy word; and THE WORLD HATETH THEM." (John 17:14)
  • "Marvel not, my brethren if THE WORLD HATE YOU." (1 John 3:13)
  • Peter tells us, 'we are STRANGERS AND PILGRIMS HERE" (1 Pet. 2:11)
  • "Be not conformed to this world,...……………………….. (Rom. 12:2)
  • Wherefore, "COME OUT FROM AMONG THEM,...….BE YE SEPERATED FROM THEM (2 Cor. 6:17)
  • …………...KEEP THYSELF UNSPOTTED FROM THE WORLD" (James 1:27)
  • "Love not the world nor the things in the world...……………………..(1 John 2:15)
  • (Col. 3:17)
  • (1 Cor. 10:31)
  • (Titus 2:11-12)
  • (John 17:15)
In reference to all these above, can any of us say that we are not of this world? Has anyone experienced any persecution because he did not walk to the worlds principles? And, what are the worlds principles?

In Him, who is my salvation, wisdom and Grace,
Douglas Summers

The justification for war
Patriots
Divorce is ok
Gun ownership

So, I take a big stance against these ideals at their core because of God. I'm persecuted because of it but I have to explain cause I don't want to seem like a hypocrite.

War in no way can be justified because of the personality of Christ. He died for those killing him

Patriots, the kind of people who put country above what God intends for all peoples (not just those who love a country)
It is nice to love a country because God birthed you there, but he may want you to move around

Divorce, not biblical. And if an unbelieving spouse leaves you for some reason, you can't get remarried. This is a big one cause society is not doing well because it has taken on a worldly view.

Gun ownership. There is a caveat, for hunting only if we had to provide meat. But a huge majority use for protecting property and themselves. My husband owns guns because he inherited them. I didn't want to sound like a hypocrite, but I don't personally own them, nor would I

Okay, so...........yeah. Those are the things I personally will not be agreed upon because of what God has set in my heart with his word.

Thy kingdom doesn't have war, thy kingdom doesn't have boundaries, thy kingdom doesn't have separation of families, thy kingdom doesn't have (earthly) weapons.

Last edited:
Hi Douglas. When I get into the kingdom, it's a kingdom without end and no adversaries. No need to be at war, cause the devil and his angels are not there.

Luke 1:33
Unless you are speaking the boundary between the kingdom and hell? In which case, I'm only speaking of the kingdom that isn't divided.

Matthew 25:41

Some of the societal norms are alarming and heartbreaking, such as abortion, divorce (for reasons not biblically justified or people saying, "If it doesn't work out, we'll just divorce."), the war against traditional marriage, religious abuse, etc.

I would not call my cases "persecution" since I have not been violently confronted or any if the horrors that happen for believing in God. Although, being shunned for them doesn't feel great. I always try to remember 1 & 2 Peter because it reminds us we will suffer for our beliefs and that is normal.

The justification for war
Patriots
Divorce is ok
Gun ownership

So, I take a big stance against these ideals at their core because of God. I'm persecuted because of it but I have to explain cause I don't want to seem like a hypocrite.

War in no way can be justified because of the personality of Christ. He died for those killing him

Patriots, the kind of people who put country above what God intends for all peoples (not just those who love a country)
It is nice to love a country because God birthed you there, but he may want you to move around

Divorce, not biblical. And if an unbelieving spouse leaves you for some reason, you can't get remarried. This is a big one cause society is not doing well because it has taken on a worldly view.

Gun ownership. There is a caveat, for hunting only if we had to provide meat. But a huge majority use for protecting property and themselves. My husband owns guns because he inherited them. I didn't want to sound like a hypocrite, but I don't personally own them, nor would I

Okay, so...........yeah. Those are the things I personally will not be agreed upon because of what God has set in my heart with his word.

Thy kingdom doesn't have war, thy kingdom doesn't have boundaries, thy kingdom doesn't have separation of families, thy kingdom doesn't have weapons.

The Bible does not speak against weapon ownership. I say this because guns had not yet been invented and they are considered by most to be a weapon.

Check out Luke 22:35–38:

35 And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.” 36 He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack.And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. 37 For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: And he was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about me has its fulfillment.” 38 And they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.” And he said to them, “It is enough.”

Although, this is not a command, either. It doesn't speak against owning or not owning a weapon.

Also, concerning war, if we take a look at Ecclesiastes 3:8, it mentions there is a time for war and a time for peace. However, this of course does not mean that all war is good.

With divorce, I agree it is super sad. I grew up with the idea of you cannot remarry after any form of divorce, but have not gone too in depth in my own personal studies with it. What verses do you use to justify this? Curious for my own research. Although, I do not believe someone should stay in a marriage if it was dangerous and abusive.

I agree with Doug that there is war and there will be an extremely intense war come the last years of the world. The wonderful news is that we are on the winning side.

Revelation 12:7-9:

Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back, but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

Although, what boundaries do you mean? Lile that we are all together as the body of Christ in Heaven?

If Heaven has weapons, they can be spiritual like the armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-20). There was a mention of an angel with a flaming sword in Genesis 3:24 that guards The Tree of Life.

John 2:14-16, Jesus chased some of the corrupt people from the temple with a whip because they were using the temple for trade/business transactions. Pretty intense.

Last edited:
The Bible does not speak against weapon ownership. I say this because guns had not yet been invented and they are considered by most to be a weapon.

Check out Luke 22:35–38:

35 And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.” 36 He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack.And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. 37 For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: And he was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about me has its fulfillment.” 38 And they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.” And he said to them, “It is enough.”
Those who know my stance know I will quote Isiah 53:12
Jesus said this to fulfill prophecy.

Because he also said Matthew 5:39 But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

The weapon itself is not bad, but the world says it's okay to defend yourself with a weapon and Christ says the opposite.

Also, concerning war, if we take a look at Ecclesiastes 3:8, it mentions there is a time for war and a time for peace. However, this of course does not mean that all war is good.
I'm strictly speaking of the kingdom. The heavenly kingdom does not have war after Satan and his angels are not there. When Jesus prays for "thy kingdom come" it will be like heaven without the devil.
What verses do you use to justify this? Curious for my own research. Although, I do not believe someone should stay in a marriage if it was dangerous and abusive.
1 Corinthians 7:10 To the married I give this command(not I but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

This is states that if you are separated, you can't remarry someone else.
Although, what boundaries do you mean? Lile that we are all together as the body of Christ in Heaven?

If Heaven has weapons, they can be spiritual like the armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-20). There was a mention of an angel with a flaming sword in Genesis 3:24 that guards The Tree of Life.

John 2:14-16, Jesus chased some of the corrupt people from the temple with a whip because they were using the temple for trade/business transactions. Pretty intense.
Yes, all together as the body of Christ. In the world, we are divided by race, culture, place you were born......etc.

We do have weapons, Yes absolutely! The thing is that they are not worldly and the world doesn't use our weapons.

Jesus was using the whip to destroy the image of the fake substitute of holy things. Making a mockery of the real deal.

The weapon itself is not bad, but the world says it's okay to defend yourself with a weapon and Christ says the opposite.
You have misunderstood the Scripture, We are not under Law, but Grace. During the time of the Hasmonian Dynasty, The Jews would not fight on Sunday to keep the Law....that group of people were destroyed by the enemy by trying to obey the law that was not intended in that situation. God does not expect man to be run over and murdered without defense and recourse. Resisting the evil man has more to do with personal differences and false accusers. Here is what Christ said before His crucifixion, He changed the first command to fit the coming age after His crucifixion. And He said to them, "When I sent you without purse and bag and shoes, lacked you any thing? And they said no. (Matt. 10:9-13) (Luke 22:35). Then said He unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his bag; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
For I say unto you that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And He was reckond among the transgressors; for the things concerning me have a fulfillment. And they said, Lord, here are two swords. And He said unto them, it is enough. (Luke 22:35-38). Read Luke 22: 47-53 when the sword was used.

My promised inheritance through Christ is the promise of the kingdom of God through that of the Spiritual rebirth, John 3:5-7, as I confess Christ as my Lord and Savior and not found ashamed before Him when He returns, Romans 10:9,10; 1 John 2:28.

For now I must live on this wicked earth, but yet not be a partaker of it's evil. I am to live by the civil laws of the government and nothing more as I remain obedient to God and His commands. While here on earth I must be patient and endure whatever trial or tribulation that will come against me for the sake of my witness and testimony of Christ. I take no thought for myself, but to only be that vessel that God works through as I being glory and honor to His name until I receive my eternal home with the Father in the New Jerusalem, Rev 21.

My promised inheritance through Christ is the promise of the kingdom of God through that of the Spiritual rebirth, John 3:5-7, as I confess Christ as my Lord and Savior and not found ashamed before Him when He returns, Romans 10:9,10; 1 John 2:28.

For now I must live on this wicked earth, but yet not be a partaker of it's evil. I am to live by the civil laws of the government and nothing more as I remain obedient to God and His commands. While here on earth I must be patient and endure whatever trial or tribulation that will come against me for the sake of my witness and testimony of Christ. I take no thought for myself, but to only be that vessel that God works through as I being glory and honor to His name until I receive my eternal home with the Father in the New Jerusalem, Rev 21.
Hi glory, You can not do it by will of the flesh, but by the will of God and obedience to His will THROUGH the Holy Spirit. We must be willing vessels, not working on or own reasoning.

You have misunderstood the Scripture, We are not under Law, but Grace. During the time of the Hasmonian Dynasty, The Jews would not fight on Sunday to keep the Law....that group of people were destroyed by the enemy by trying to obey the law that was not intended in that situation. God does not expect man to be run over and murdered without defense and recourse. Resisting the evil man has more to do with personal differences and false accusers. Here is what Christ said before His crucifixion, He changed the first command to fit the coming age after His crucifixion. And He said to them, "When I sent you without purse and bag and shoes, lacked you any thing? And they said no. (Matt. 10:9-13) (Luke 22:35). Then said He unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his bag; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
For I say unto you that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And He was reckond among the transgressors; for the things concerning me have a fulfillment. And they said, Lord, here are two swords. And He said unto them, it is enough. (Luke 22:35-38). Read Luke 22: 47-53 when the sword was used.
If in doubt, I do what Jesus does. That is my grace. He is of the kingdom and not of the world.

Hi glory, You can not do it by will of the flesh, but by the will of God and obedience to His will THROUGH the Holy Spirit. We must be willing vessels, not working on or own reasoning.

All things are done by the Holy Spirit who indwells us as we are no longer in the flesh, but led by the Spirit of God being His Holy Spirit.

Romans 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. 13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

I'm going to put an edit in my first post. Thy kingdom doesn't have earthly weapons. :thumb

There is an earthly weapon that extends from Zion: it's called love and mercy, compassion and forgiveness.

If I may, I believe that you understand something about the Kingdom that others here seemed to have missed or forgotten. The Kingdom of Heaven was never about peace between men and nations, but the peace promised in the new covenant and the Kingdom of Heaven is a peace between the Father and His Son, and all those who are in Him.

As Jesus said: My peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth...
He also said to: agree with your adversaries quickly......

All things are done by the Holy Spirit who indwells us as we are no longer in the flesh, but led by the Spirit of God being His Holy Spirit.

Romans 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. 13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
Are you telling me you never have sinned since you have been saved, and had to ask for forgiveness? Or do you walk in your own understanding, quoting Scripture? Satan quoted Scripture to Jesus, and it was true Scripture, but it was not applicable or in love, but deceit.

Are you telling me you never have sinned since you have been saved, and had to ask for forgiveness? Or do you walk in your own understanding, quoting Scripture? Satan quoted Scripture to Jesus, and it was true Scripture, but it was not applicable or in love, but deceit.

As long as this corruptible flesh is still mortal we will all be prone to sin as the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. My sin in the flesh is my tongue as it is prone to lash out at others when I allow a moment of emotion to take control and then this I have to ask for forgiveness.

As long as this corruptible flesh is still mortal we will all be prone to sin as the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. My sin in the flesh is my tongue as it is prone to lash out at others when I allow a moment of emotion to take control and then this I have to ask for forgiveness.
Don't we all, But the closer we walk, the less sin becomes a habit.

Back