Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

My name's Flint!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Flint, The guy in North Carolina has published a book about something, so, if we come up with a good book, I'm hoping that we can use the contacts he already has. As for the novel that's about a young man's spiritual journey, I'm much more concerned at just getting the thing written. I've been working on it for quite awhile, but I keep going back to the first chapter to get it ever better. I figure that the first thing to do is write the book that I hope to write, and, somewhere down the road, if I have succeeded at doing that, I'll look around for a publisher or God will send one my way.

One thing that you might find to be helpful is to get in a writer's group in your area. In in a group that meets for breakfast every other Saturday, and if has about 5-6 members. There's a pastor from the United Church of Christ, a minister from the Assemblies of God, a physics professor who writes mystery novels, an Annapolis grad who used to be the captain of a nuclear submarine, another woman and myself. I find that getting honest feedback is one of the best things that can happen to a writer. It's not always easy to hear the honest critiques of others about what I write, but if I can't take criticism, i probably shouldn't be a writer, right?

Sooner or later I'll put an avatar up. The Shadow really is my kind of superhero. It's too bad that the movie they made with Alec Baldwin was such a piece of garbage. After all, the Shadow knows "What evil lurks in the hearts of men..."

LaMont,

That writers group idea is fantastic. I would love to find something like that. I'll poke around on the internet and see if I can find one, but how did you find your group? I especially like the idea of a small, personal group like you've got.

I didn't think the Baldwin Shadow movie was as terrible as I had heard it was, but maybe that's because I went in with such low expectations and was surprised when it managed to keep my attention for an hour or so. Of course, I knew nothing of the original story. Would you recommend the 1940 movie? Maybe I can Netflix it.

After all, the Shadow knows "What evil lurks in the hearts of men..."
Haha yes! But still, that would have been so much cooler if you had said it with a Shadow avatar. :eyebrow

I'm pretty handy with Photoshop. If you want to link me to a Shadow pic you like I'll totally make one for you. :eyebrow :eyebrow

Flint, Actually, I fell in love with The Shadow in the 1950's. I'm 66 now, born in 1943, and in the 50's, on Sunday afternoons, there used to be half-hour radio shows all afternoon, including Jack Benny, Burns & Allen, Gangbusters, Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy and some others, but The Shadow was my absolute favorite. It's possible to get copies of some of those old radio shows; you might even be able to download them.

The Shadow also said "The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. The Shadow knows." One of the things he never said was that although he knew of the evil that lurked in the hearts of men, there is/was also a lot of love, kindness, compassion and other good stuff there. After all, The Shadow was one of the good guys!

I've got to tell you, I am somewhat technologically challenged, and if you would be willing to help me put up a Shadow avatar, I would like that. Let me look through some of the pictures, and I'll get back to you sometime tomorrow. Take care!

Oh, I don't even know what state you live in, but there could very well be a writer's groiup happening in your area. After all, there are writers, musicians, artists and others like us around everywhere.

Flint, Things got pretty busy over the last day or two, but I would like to take you up on your offer to create an avatar. I'll get back to you soon. Aloha!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back