Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[ Testimony ] My Story

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

peter800

My name is Peter Gustas, and I have a story to share with you today. In this story, my goal is to let you know that you are not alone and that we all have things we struggle with daily. Whether it is the loss of someone in your family who you were close to or just a daily problem you are struggling with, I will use my own experiences in this story to try to relate to some situations you might be going though at the moment and help you cope with them. I can’t say that I have been where you have been. Your life is your own book and I can’t write it for you; I can only try to help you with my own experiences. I hope you enjoy reading this story even as I write this and even if it only helps one person out in the smallest way then I have achieved my goal.

In my nineteen years of life I have been though a lot and there are three things that keep me going each day: that is God, and my friends, and my family. When I was five years old I got in a serious car accident. We were on the way to see my family that lived in Tulsa and we got a flat tire. My grandmother pulled over and got out of the car to talk to someone that pulled over in front of us. While she was talking to them I got out of my car seat. Then, I went to the driver’s side window and stuck my head out of the window to get some air. A few minutes after doing this, my sister saw a semi-truck veering towards our car. She tried to pull my head into the car but I kept fighting her. Then the truck clipped our car and almost made it roll down a hill! It then started to go back towards the highway, but before it did that, the crank handle on the truck struck me in the frontal lobe. I, then, was rushed to the hospital and was in a coma for several days. After awaking from my coma, the doctors where all surprised, and they then told my family that if I made it though my surgeries, I most likely would be in a vegetative state. Several months went by as I was going through rehabilitation. One day, while I was in rehab, I saw someone walking so I got up and tried it. After several sessions of rehab, I was able to walk better, and pretty soon I did not need to be in my wheelchair anymore!
My parents went through a divorce when I was very young, and I don’t want to believe that it played a big part in my later years it did. In high school I started to blame my mom’s drinking on my car wreck. I started to hang out with a bad group of people in school, and I let them make fun of me because it was the only way I could punish myself for making my mom starting to drink. From freshman year until the end of junior year, every day I would hear things like “You dumb crippleâ€, or “You’re so dumb, when you were born, the worlds IQ droppedâ€; they even said “The world would have been better off if you were deadâ€. This started to anger me and I started to get in fights in school, swear at teachers, and get mad at my family. When my dad remarried, I got mad and started to do things I should have not done in the house to get her to try to leave. I wanted her to leave because she reminded me of how my real mom used to be before she started to drink. In my sophomore or junior year in high school, I moved in with my real mom and her boyfriend in Tulsa. I did this just to get away from my step mom. I did not get enrolled in classes for about two weeks. I then found out that my grandpa was in the hospital with cancer, that had come back. I went to the hospital for several days until he passed away. I felt bad because I left my grandpa with him hearing me yelling and cussing out my step mom

About a month after living with my mom she was drunk yet again, and she was smoking in the house as well, so I took her cigarettes and threw them outside. She then grabbed a knife and I had to lock myself in the bathroom; I then called my dad and asked him if he could pick me up. At the beginning of senior year, I was feeling like I was on my last stretch. I then saw someone in class with a Bible, talking to another girl about a bible study. After a few days, I got the confidence to ask her if I could go with her. Then she started to study with me, and take me to church. Then I got introduced to one of her friends and started to study the bible more in depth. I started to go to his church and I meet the EYG, and started to do things with them. They were my first group of friends that I felt close to and felt like I could talk to them. I heard about a mission trip that they were going on, and I told my friend that I wanted to try it, but I didn’t think I could help very much because of my handicap. I ended up going to Mexico with them that spring break that was where I really started to see how good God was. Then I applied to OC, not expecting to get in, but to my surprise I got accepted and started college that next year. In college I started to meet really nice people, and I met my future roommate on the first day of college. Then, later that year, I found out that my mom was in jail for hitting my grandma.

Now I learned a lot from these experiences. I have learned to love the people close to you, and spend as much time as you can with them, because you don’t know if you will have them tomorrow. As far as my mom goes, I have learned that drinking can become a big problem, and not only will it ruin your life but it will affect those around you. I am going to try to never drink because of my mom. I’m not telling you never to drink if you are of age; just be a responsible drinker and NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE, Even if it’s just one beer. In the divorce I have learned that most of the time, your step parents are just trying to do what is best for you, without trying to replace your real parent. For high school, I would just say don’t listen to what people have to say, if it’s negative. High school was tough for me but I made it through; just hang in there if you are in high school. Try to make the best out of high school that you can. My wreck taught me that God is so good and can do so many miracles, and also taught me the power of praying. You only live once; look towards the future and all the good things. Let go of your past and live each day as it comes, because you might not have tomorrow. I am new to this, but this one thing helps immensely: TALKING! Don’t keep you problems bottled up; that only leads to bigger problems down the road. If you don’t go to church I, would suggest you try that. I know it works for me, when I go and worship God. Also know this: this will take some time. I, myself, still have not gotten though many things in my life.

Some Verses to help you with what you are going though

Death:
Psalm 9:9
The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
Psalm 18:2
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
Psalm 22:24
For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.
Matthew 5:4
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Stress:
The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and are safe. (Proverbs 18:10)
Fear of others will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe. (Proverbs 29:25)
O Lord, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in time of distress. (Jeremiah 16:19)
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)

Anger:
Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints,
and give thanks to his holy name.
For his anger is but for a moment,
and his favor is for a lifetime.
Weeping may tarry for the night,
but joy comes with the morning.
—Psalm 30:4-5

Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath!
Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.
—Psalm 37:8

Peter you surely did have a struggle growing up, didn't you? Yet, God was faithful to you, obviously having a plan for your life. Can you tell me about the time you actually met God, accepted Christ into your life?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back