Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

New Mormon Tactic

Mike

So, the Mormons, in an attempt to mainstream their religion, have begun a new campaign to alter the view of their faith.

The Mormon church has furthered evangelism much more effectively than Christianity has, IMO. This stems from their requirement of mission trips to their general outlook on door-to-door spread. I feel strongly that their efforts are to lure in unsuspecting "prospects" into accepting them as "Christians" and to increase interest through misconception. What do you think of this ad, and how would you feel if it ended "I am a Christian" as opposed to what they say:

"I'm a surfer, a woman, and a woman's longboard champion. And I'm a Mormon."

[youtube:3bnfzt2r]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pjNWvEMYwo&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:3bnfzt2r]

That only made me question Mormons more... They are going for that "HEY LOOK AT US! We are "NORMAL"!"

All I saw was a girl who apparently loves Jesus. If she really does love Him (and I am not questioning her love, mind you) she would quit surfing, because from that 2 minute clip I can tell that it is an idol to her.

Pard said:
That only made me question Mormons more... They are going for that "HEY LOOK AT US! We are "NORMAL"!"

All I saw was a girl who apparently loves Jesus. If she really does love Him (and I am not questioning her love, mind you) she would quit surfing, because from that 2 minute clip I can tell that it is an idol to her.

I don't know about that..then computer would be an Idol for me... Mormonism is her Idol

We are bombarded with marketing strategies and advertising on a daily basis. And we are critisizing the Mormon church in this thread, yet I feel we should have a broader perspective on this. The false gospels out amongst the Christian churches are using the same strategies. They Market their churches for financial gain. So called "Christian" preachers like Benny Hinn have used marketing techniques for years and according to my research uses hypnosis techniques aswell.
I think is more socialy acceptable now days to put on a more liberal "ONE GOD" for all religions face on. Christ crucifiction has been removed from post modern churches and his teaching have been amalgamated into human sinful desires. These churches are destroying the gospel.
We were told throughout the new testament, and not just from Paul. Jesus, John and Peter told us not to be decieved. They told us there would be false preachers. (Muhammed, Joseph Smith, Benny Hinn and many others). Mormonism should be exposed as Mike is doing as a false religion. Its roots should be explained. I don't think it is the most dangerous false teaching out there though. The false teachings inside the Church are so much more hurtful to the Gospel. The emerging church and its leaders.

I suggest that people read a book called "This little church went to market" by a guy called Gilley. I have forgotten his first name but the book opened my eyes to a few things. I am not saying that everything that Gilley says is 100% correct, but it exposed me to something I truly believe is wrong. God never told me to market him. He told me to spread the Truth about him. Not manipulate it to draw Church numbers. :twocents

I'm not sure that's an honest way to gain converts. It's a recruiting film, and while I think many can see through it, it speaks to the lost and seeking in a more egotistical manner rather than a personal way.

It says; "Look at me. My life is so great. I'm energetic. I'm on a road to success. and.....I'm a Mormon." That part is stressed to emphasize that it is the Mormonism that makes it all possible.

Mormons never tell their full belief upfront. The non Christian part comes after you get sucked in. By then your so far into it that only a true understanding of the word could get you out.

Danus said:
I'm not sure that's an honest way to gain converts. It's a recruiting film, and while I think many can see through it, it speaks to the lost and seeking in a more egotistical manner rather than a personal way.

It says; "Look at me. My life is so great. I'm energetic. I'm on a road to success. and.....I'm a Mormon." That part is stressed to emphasize that it is the Mormonism that makes it all possible.

Mormons never tell their full belief upfront. The non Christian part comes after you get sucked in. By then your so far into it that only a true understanding of the word could get you out.

I fully agree. I get Ed's point, but I tend to disagree, only because so many Christians are ignorant to what it means to be a Mormon. I agree that there are also dangers within our own churches, but they've systematically gotten away from "Mormon" and use "Church of Jesus Christ and LDS". Having the name "Jesus" in their name makes them more appealing to unsuspecting people. I wonder how many Christians have looked into their Church to know the stark differences between what they believe and that which Christianity professes. Not many, I'm afraid. That's what makes them dangerous. They are not forthright in their stated beliefs, and too many Christians don't know their story. To Danus' point, many Mormons are not given the full theology of their own faith until they reach a certain point.

To me, this ad is the Mormon church saying, "If you have heard people saying Mormons are fringe people caught up in a cult, you've been misled. Look at us. We are as normal as your next door neighbor. And we're happy! :) Come check us out! You'll be happy here too!" They are recruiting as opposed to using this ad to share anything of eternal substance.

I would be appalled if a Christian church took the same tactic. Are we to water down our message to attract converts so much that we are indistinguishable to the next person?

I would be appalled if a Christian church took the same tactic. Are we to water down our message to attract converts so much that we are indistinguishable to the next person?

That is exactly what is happening! but to go back to the context of what you are saying about the Mormons using the tactic of trying to eliminate their cult status. I agree with you 100%. The tactics used by them as in this advert are deliberate. We have American guys in our town in South Africa that have opened a church of the LDS. They walk around town trying to speak to people to get them to come into a service. They are well dressed, well groomed and polite. They almost remind me of the men in black. In there top pocket is a label that just says JESUS CHRIST. (I have not seen them closeup for a while so I am going on memory)
I am sure they have fooled many into believing their faith. I am not sure if they themselves know the true ideology of their faith as most of them are young men that have been brought up in their faith. People do get fooled into following Mormons. Its is also important to highlight that Mormons did not allow black people into their priesthood until I believe the 1970's.
Racial restriction policy under Brigham Young
An early statement by Young about a priesthood ban in the LDS Church was made on February 13, 1849. The statement — which refers to the Curse of Cain as the reason for the policy — was given in response to the question, "What chance is there for the redemption of the Negro?" Young responded, "The Lord had cursed Cain's seed with blackness and prohibited them the Priesthood."[4] - wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people_and_The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints
I agree that this kind of information is not made available as black South Africans are the ones being targeted to join the LDS.
Returning to my fist post, I do believe we need to aware of churches and sects within the Christian community that are using similar tactics to build up their own false doctrines.

Ed the Ned said:

That is exactly what is happening! but to go back to the context of what you are saying about the Mormons using the tactic of trying to eliminate their cult status. I agree with you 100%. The tactics used by them as in this advert are deliberate. We have American guys in our town in South Africa that have opened a church of the LDS. They walk around town trying to speak to people to get them to come into a service. They are well dressed, well groomed and polite. They almost remind me of the men in black. In there top pocket is a label that just says JESUS CHRIST. (I have not seen them closeup for a while so I am going on memory)
I am sure they have fooled many into believing their faith. I am not sure if they themselves know the true ideology of their faith as most of them are young men that have been brought up in their faith. People do get fooled into following Mormons. Its is also important to highlight that Mormons did not allow black people into their priesthood until I believe the 1970's.
[quote:7h353oim]Racial restriction policy under Brigham Young
An early statement by Young about a priesthood ban in the LDS Church was made on February 13, 1849. The statement — which refers to the Curse of Cain as the reason for the policy — was given in response to the question, "What chance is there for the redemption of the Negro?" Young responded, "The Lord had cursed Cain's seed with blackness and prohibited them the Priesthood."[4] - wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people_and_The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints
I agree that this kind of information is not made available as black South Africans are the ones being targeted to join the LDS.
Returning to my fist post, I do believe we need to aware of churches and sects within the Christian community that are using similar tactics to build up their own false doctrines.[/quote:7h353oim]

What upset me more than anything is they baptized me as a mormon...They even baptized me in the name of dead men...I felt so horrible afterwards.
They told me weird things like, God was created by another god. And he was man before he was God.

I've long since turned away from that hell...I feel bad for their members

Yep to Ed, and yep to Oats.

It's been my observation that Mormons cling closely to Christianity when it serves their purpose in attracting converts, but they see the divide as much as informed Christians do. To Oats' comment about God being a mere man, you can see the discomfort in them; they cringe when you ask to confirm that they believe God was a person on another planet who ascended into godhood by his favorable mortal life and was given Earth to Lord over as his reward. And that we too can aspire to be gods of our own planets.

This is just one point of their doctrine that they are embarrassed about and try desperately to sweep under the rug.

But, as the ad says, "they're normal people like you and me". ;) True enough that most are very kind, respectful, upright individuals, but... no need to repeat myself. :gah

Hi Danus,

What do you mean Mormons never tell their full belief upfront? The Mormon Church has a whole group of web sites posted where you can get ALL the LDS beliefs, and I mean ALL of them. All you have to do is read it. So, you are not been truthful when you make such a statement. As a true follower of Christ we should be truthful at ALL times.

And, if you want to know the LDS beliefs in a nutshell just read The 13 Articles of Faith, which was created to give a summary of the LDS beliefs.

The Articles of Faith

Besides, everybody knows that when you have limited resources to put your message across you need to choose wisely what you are going to put in the message to make a more efficient use of your resources. That is true to any one that will spend money in a small message in the media. I thought you'd know that.

<b>So what you are trying to imply that the LDS church hide its message doesn't make ANY sense whatsoever since the LDS web site is there for everyone to see and research.</b>

It would be stupid of an organization to publish a message hiding its belief and, at the same time, post all its beliefs in the Internet. Don't you think so?

But, if one wants to know the whole set of beliefs just go the to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormon.org, for example.

Have a great day,

mamre

There is nothing wrong with Mormonism. Every Christian sect has some weird beliefs.

There is nothing wrong with Mormonism. Every Christian sect has some weird beliefs.

I posed a question in the Quaker thread referring to this comment asking is you have any criteria you see as "essential" to as C.S. Lewis termed it "Mere Christianity". You said:

I take their word that they believe in the teaching of Jesus. That is my only criteria. There are so many different versions I don't put any stock when someone says I have it right and so and so doesn't.

So is this to say that anyone who claims Christianity is equally justified in their claim? What about the proverbial statement that "I believe Jesus was a good teacher who had some good ideas."??? Does a person who considers Jesus no different than any other moral teacher and finds His teachings admirable have equal claim to Christianity to the one who accepts Him as God Incarnate? The title "Christian" is simply that; I understand. What's important is where the heart is in accepting Christ as a person's Savior more so than the title. But "Christianity" identifies us within the sphere of the myriad of religions. To me, for one to say he is a Christian, he is identifying himself with the Body of Christ and defining himself by it.

I find it difficult to connect with someone who blurs the lines and doesn't use biblical truths as the foundation for his beliefs in claiming Christianity. Having no Absolute Truth creates a state of having no truths at all. It's easier for me to have a conversation with someone who takes a line and stands by it rather than reject much of what Christians hold without having anything to support their claim besides his opinion.

For the record, I've been very consistent in my assertion that Mormons are NOT Christians. It's always been ironic to me that they separate themselves from Christianity, try desperately to convert biblical Christians to Mormonism, and yet some Mormons go to great lengths to say they are Christians. :screwloose

I posed a question in the Quaker thread referring to this comment asking is you have any criteria you see as "essential" to as C.S. Lewis termed it "Mere Christianity". You said:

So is this to say that anyone who claims Christianity is equally justified in their claim? What about the proverbial statement that "I believe Jesus was a good teacher who had some good ideas."??? Does a person who considers Jesus no different than any other moral teacher and finds His teachings admirable have equal claim to Christianity to the one who accepts Him as God Incarnate? The title "Christian" is simply that; I understand. What's important is where the heart is in accepting Christ as a person's Savior more so than the title. But "Christianity" identifies us within the sphere of the myriad of religions. To me, for one to say he is a Christian, he is identifying himself with the Body of Christ and defining himself by it.

I find it difficult to connect with someone who blurs the lines and doesn't use biblical truths as the foundation for his beliefs in claiming Christianity. Having no Absolute Truth creates a state of having no truths at all. It's easier for me to have a conversation with someone who takes a line and stands by it rather than reject much of what Christians hold without having anything to support their claim besides his opinion.

For the record, I've been very consistent in my assertion that Mormons are NOT Christians. It's always been ironic to me that they separate themselves from Christianity, try desperately to convert biblical Christians to Mormonism, and yet some Mormons go to great lengths to say they are Christians. :screwloose

People are, for the most part, what they were brought up to believe. You have your flavor someone else has theirs. You judge too much. It is arrogant for anyone to say I hold the truth, and all others don't. Amish, Baptist, Mormon, Lutheran, Quaker, Catholic, Pentecostal, Methodist, Anglican.... It doesn't matter to me. I personally don't pretend to have some grand revelation that lets me know who has it right, and who has it wrong.

People are, for the most part, what they were brought up to believe. You have your flavor someone else has theirs. You judge too much. It is arrogant for anyone to say I hold the truth, and all others don't. Amish, Baptist, Mormon, Lutheran, Quaker, Catholic, Pentecostal, Methodist, Anglican.... It doesn't matter to me. I personally don't pretend to have some grand revelation that lets me know who has it right, and who has it wrong.

I do! It's called the Bible, you should try it sometime.

I don't hold the Truth, He holds the Truth. And since I agree with His Truth, I know I have the Truth!

Look at the groups you mentioned: Baptists, Lutherans, Catholics, Pentecostals, Methodists, Anglicans all hold the same Divine Jesus. We may differ on some nonsalvific issues, but we agree on the core tenets of Christianity. Honestly, I can't say I know enough about Amish and Quakers but assume they do. But I can say that Mormons don't.

But you made my point in your lack of absolute Truth. Most of the denominations you mentioned do see Jesus for Who He Is and do follow scripture. One glaring exception does not. Thanks for your assistance, PC! ;)

I don't hold the Truth, He holds the Truth. And since I agree with His Truth, I know I have the Truth!

Look at the groups you mentioned: Baptists, Lutherans, Catholics, Pentecostals, Methodists, Anglicans all hold the same Divine Jesus. We may differ on some nonsalvific issues, but we agree on the core tenets of Christianity. Honestly, I can't say I know enough about Amish and Quakers but assume they do. But I can say that Mormons don't.

But you made my point in your lack of absolute Truth. Most of the denominations you mentioned do see Jesus for Who He Is and do follow scripture. One glaring exception does not. Thanks for your assistance, PC! ;)

Well thank you for letting me know you have the absolute truth. See I don't have such a claim. I am a mere human mortal. I don't pretend I have some special revelation that billions of other people don't have or understand. Hope I can be as smart as you one day.

Well thank you for letting me know you have the absolute truth. See I don't have such a claim. I am a mere human mortal. I don't pretend I have some special revelation that billions of other people don't have or understand. Hope I can be as smart as you one day.

If those billions of people want a copy I'd be more than happy to help them. Have them shoot me an email, will ya? KJV 1$ at Dollar Tree!

And Mike, the Amish believe that only if you do good works will you reach Heaven (they say that works is the means of salvation, not Jesus.) Now not all Amish are that way, but most of them are. There are some Amish up in northern Maine near abouts Holton and my parents like to go into their shop so I talk to the owner (who is Amish). He told me that he believes salvation is through faith alone, but he said that is the minority view in the Amish community.

Still, I am kind of jealous of them. (Is that weird?) Can I be a Pentecostal Amish man? :confused:

Back