Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Non-bliblical marriage?

Pinky

I am divorced and fell in love with my ex's cousin. They do not know each other except by name and would not recognize each other if in same room. Is that a forbidden relationship according to Word of God or idealogies of man?

I am divorced and fell in love with my ex's cousin. They do not know each other except by name and would not recognize each other if in same room. Is that a forbidden relationship according to Word of God or idealogies of man?

Scripture does not see this as forbidden. You must not marry the a sister while the other sister is alive as a rival. Cousins are fine. Further, the previous marriage covenant is not valid after divorce for you to worry about it as long as you are not closely related to your spouse as defined in scripture.

Its not incest, if that's what you're asking. Like another poster said, though, if you divorced for reasons other than desertion or adultery, you'll need to think long and hard about remarrying and obviously avoid any sexual activity. I can't give you any advice on remarriage, except to say that even though it happens all the time in the church, it shouldn't happen as often as it does.

Good luck to you.

1 Corinthians 7:10, Jesus commands the woman not to leave her husband and if she does she should remain unmarried, but in Malachi 2:10-16 the treachery that man commits against a woman which leads him to have an affair outside of the marriage or abuses the wife whether it be physical or emotional gives place to what was said by Moses in Deuteronomy 24:1-4 that if a woman is no longer pleasing to her husband then the husband should give his wife a written bill of divorcement and send her out of the house and this gives the woman the right to marry again, but she can never go back to her former husband if that marriage does not work out or her husband dies for now she is defiled to be with her first husband and this is an abomination to God.

For a good marriage to work one should study 2 Corinthians 6:14 be ye not unequally yoked together with non-believers for what fellowship hath righteous with unrighteous, and what communion has light with darkness. If you are a believer in Jesus Christ then you need to choose a mate that also believes in the faith of Christ. In some marriages people do not enter into a relationship with Christ being the center of it, but maybe one of them come to know the Lord and the other one refuses to have that personal relationship with Christ then we go back to what 1 Corinthians 7:12-16 says. If the unbelieving partner leaves the believing partner then this frees the believing partner from the bondage of the vows of marriage and they are free to marry again.

Before ever getting married take time to really know each other and establish a friendship that consist of trust and belief in each other. Allow Christ to be the center of your friendship and this will allow you to begin a marriage that is totally Christ centered. Always resolve your problems with the Holy Ghost guidance through the word and you will always have a good marriage. Always be opened and honest with each other for this builds trust in the relationship, but if that trust is broken there is no relationship. Love each other unconditionally as Christ loves us and forgives us our faults. As long as we live in this flesh we will sin at times, but when you acknowledge those sins and ask for forgiveness God will always forgive us. Always be ready to forgive each other seventy times seven, Matthew 22:21,22, and not only forgive, but forget the sin as God remembers our sins no more when we repent of them. The outside appearance will always change and beauty may fade, but it is the heart of the person we are to love and the heart will never change as long as the love of Christ dwells within it.

While, many pointed out, it is true that divorce for any other reason apart from sexual immorality is adultery, but that's not a solution. The verse mentions what we must not do and not how to go forward if it is already done.

Past is past. Repent if the err is in your part and move forward in your life by going ahead in marriage through Christ. The same applies to your ex and the cousin of your ex.

1 Corinthians 7:10, Jesus commands the woman not to leave her husband and if she does she should remain unmarried, but in Malachi 2:10-16 the treachery that man commits against a woman which leads him to have an affair outside of the marriage or abuses the wife whether it be physical or emotional gives place to what was said by Moses in Deuteronomy 24:1-4 that if a woman is no longer pleasing to her husband then the husband should give his wife a written bill of divorcement and send her out of the house and this gives the woman the right to marry again, but she can never go back to her former husband if that marriage does not work out or her husband dies for now she is defiled to be with her first husband and this is an abomination to God.

For a good marriage to work one should study 2 Corinthians 6:14 be ye not unequally yoked together with non-believers for what fellowship hath righteous with unrighteous, and what communion has light with darkness. If you are a believer in Jesus Christ then you need to choose a mate that also believes in the faith of Christ. In some marriages people do not enter into a relationship with Christ being the center of it, but maybe one of them come to know the Lord and the other one refuses to have that personal relationship with Christ then we go back to what 1 Corinthians 7:12-16 says. If the unbelieving partner leaves the believing partner then this frees the believing partner from the bondage of the vows of marriage and they are free to marry again.

Before ever getting married take time to really know each other and establish a friendship that consist of trust and belief in each other. Allow Christ to be the center of your friendship and this will allow you to begin a marriage that is totally Christ centered. Always resolve your problems with the Holy Ghost guidance through the word and you will always have a good marriage. Always be opened and honest with each other for this builds trust in the relationship, but if that trust is broken there is no relationship. Love each other unconditionally as Christ loves us and forgives us our faults. As long as we live in this flesh we will sin at times, but when you acknowledge those sins and ask for forgiveness God will always forgive us. Always be ready to forgive each other seventy times seven, Matthew 22:21,22, and not only forgive, but forget the sin as God remembers our sins no more when we repent of them. The outside appearance will always change and beauty may fade, but it is the heart of the person we are to love and the heart will never change as long as the love of Christ dwells within it.

Thank you for this information. For your information, I divorced my ex- due to repeated instances of physical abuse. I could no longer expose my children to that. Because of the physical abuse, undoubtedly, there was extreme emotional abuse for me and my children. Anyway, I wanted you to know the basis of my divorce since that is the very first thing that you brought up.

Secondly, we are equally yolked. We both love the Lord. We study together. We fast & pray together. We have placed God as the center of our relationship.

My question was simply do you feel it is wrong to marry the cousin of my ex-? What if they did know each other and spent family time together (even though that is not the case)...would that be an abomination to God as my Pastor has so explicitedly told me? Or, is it simply something that just doesn't "look right" to others?

Scripture does not see this as forbidden. You must not marry the a sister while the other sister is alive as a rival. Cousins are fine. Further, the previous marriage covenant is not valid after divorce for you to worry about it as long as you are not closely related to your spouse as defined in scripture.

Thank you for your response. I had been reading Leviticus as a study guide, however, it never mentioned the word "cousin." But, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't misinterpreting the Bible or "picking out" scripture to support or benefit my situation.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply back, my bad.

I too came out of an abusive marriage many years ago myself and have been remarried now for 14 years to what I like to call my gift from God. I see nothing wrong with you marring this cousin as he is no relation to you, but only your ex. The only awkward thing would be if they were close, but I don't see this happening since they do not even know each other after all these years.

The two of you have already joined as one as you have Christ in the center of your relationship and God will bless the marriage as long as He remains the center of it. Blessings to both of you.

Back