Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Not exactly a traditional "Christian"

Hey, thank you for allowing me to join this forum. I doubt anyone is interested, but as it requests I post here first, I'm happy to oblige.

So, I'm a university student in Toronto Canada; originally from San Diego by way of many points in between. I dislike referring to myself as a Christian, but my personal religious beliefs are entirely Biblical and in line with what mainstream Christianity professes.

However, I'm not able to attend church due to several things about me that make me an unwelcome addition to congregations. I'm sincerely not bitter about this; it's probably for the best as I have no desire to make others uncomfortable in their home church and definitely don't want to create divisions within the church. Still, I've been hoping to find a place where I can at least discuss Biblical concepts etc. with people. So I'm hoping to be able to do that here!

Looking forward to meeting people and participating in discussions :)

I'm not able to attend church due to several things about me that make me an unwelcome addition to congregations.

Hi darkhorserising, welcome to CF.net:wave If it isn't personal , i'd like to know what's it about you that made you think you will be unwelcomed in a congregation?

Hello welcome to CF.net :wave You are more than welcome to discuss biblical concepts with us and especially me. I would be happy to discuss.

DHR,

Welcome to CFnet. I've found some interesting stuff when I search for your name along with "forums". :o

YOU... are a maaaaad man! :yes

This is interesting you feel that way about congregation. However, welcome. I am interested in reading your posts.

Wow, thanks for the welcome, everyone. Oh, just for the record, I've never used this username before, so anyone on another forum definitely isn't me :P

Well, in theory nothing should matter except my faith in God through Christ's promise, but for some reason it's never the case. I guess to break down my reasons for never fitting in:

- I'm from a very nontraditional family background; having been in foster care until my mid teens and living on my own thereafter. It tends to alienate me from most people who grew up in the church, especially those whose parents held positions as elders, deacons, etc (this was a bigger problem before university)

- Tangent to that, I'm not currently wealthy (tuition eats up all my money). So, my "Sunday best" is generally a clean pair of jeans and a T-shirt. A couple churches in particular were VERY into a form of "prosperity gospel" based on some obscure prayer of Jabez. There are a lot of believers who think that wealthy = blessed = righteousness (had a Christian roommate in second year who swore by this theory)

- I used to be Wiccan-ish until I heard the Gospel and was saved. People always look at me a bit differently after finding that out. Having many non-Christian friends doesn't help the situation.

- I'm crazy about horses and have been riding my entire life. Most church people I've met are terrified of horses or find them dirty. It has also been suggested that I am gay (I'm not, although again, I have friends who are and don't hide that fact)

- I have an annoying habit of calling people out on their BS, such as getting high and having sex on Friday night and standing there on the praise & worship team on Sunday morning exalting the virtues of righteous living.

So yeah, if I haven't come across as a total freak or lunatic, I'm looking forward to participating in this forum. I realize that I have a lot of imperfections, and I'm only saved through the blood of Christ. I wish more people in the real church world would give me half a chance though.

I've struggled with the need to belong to a group of Christians to effectively belong to the body of Christ. I could make a good argument for it being necessary and a good argument for it being ideal but not necessary. But I'm willing to hear from anyone else on the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see where you might have some difficulty in a congregational setting. However, I commend to your attention that you haven't found the right folks. Jesus won't let ya down in that regard.

I can see where you might have some difficulty in a congregational setting. However, I commend to your attention that you haven't found the right folks. Jesus won't let ya down in that regard.
IAWTP. I think there's something amiss with folks who don't like horses. :yes

I echo what reba said Darkhorse, You will be just fine here :yes, But be careful with reba here lately she has gotten into the habit of

:fullauto

Your discription of yourself would be like many in my church in Arizona. Many of us come as we are as far as dress. Have little financial blessings (but that does not mean we are not blessed). Come from a dubious past (don't we all?). And here in Arizona horses are nothing unusual (in fact their are cowboys in my church). So to me you are pretty "traditional".

Back