Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Okay, so your 18 year old says s/he is getting the first tattoo: best placement?

Okay, so your 18 year old says s/he is getting the first tattoo. (At 18, they make their own decisions, right?)

Maybe they can be persuaded to get a faith related design?

Maybe, too, they are open to advice about where a suitable placement would be for the first tattoo?

Ankle? wrist? traditional upper arm? etc?

What do people think?

Get a tattoo of Jesus, and put it over the heart, except maybe a girl we should move it somewhat.

[FONT=arial,helvatica]What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? (1 Corinthians 6:19)[/FONT]

Why get a tattoo?
No one has been born with one.
God has your skin pre-designed.
Why is it that the heathen go after tattoos?
You don't want to be like them.
What does history tell you about tattoos?
The Ancient Jews didn't have tattoos.
There is no commandment to get a tattoo
You are supposed to treat your body like a temple if you are a Christian.
Please dont get a tattoo.

I am not saying get a tattoo, but the reason GOd didnt want tattoos in the old days was because the people getting them were heathens.....

And for the record

And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS

I wanted to mention something else. I read in another post that if we wonder if something is wrong, picture doing that in front of Jesus. That is a good gauge for me. I enjoyed my tattoo at first, but after I came back to the Lord, I felt bad for having it. I felt guilty. So, for me, I think I knew better and shouldn't have gotten them in the first place.

I think your beating yourself up over nothing.....As long as you dont have any satanic stuff you'll be fine...

I wanted to mention something else. I read in another post that if we wonder if something is wrong, picture doing that in front of Jesus. That is a good gauge for me. I enjoyed my tattoo at first, but after I came back to the Lord, I felt bad for having it. I felt guilty. So, for me, I think I knew better and shouldn't have gotten them in the first place.

Still Blessed:

Ty for your comments.

Re. what you say about enjoying your tattoo, do you think that some people - particularly younger ones - might well be motivated to have a faith related design and find that this aspect is very important to them, and in this sense, may be really enjoyable for them, too?

(I guess you can look at it from various angles.)

Your comments were appreciated.

Still Blessed:

Ty for your comments.

Re. what you say about enjoying your tattoo, do you think that some people - particularly younger ones - might well be motivated to have a faith related design and find that this aspect is very important to them, and in this sense, may be really enjoyable for them, too?

(I guess you can look at it from various angles.)

Your comments were appreciated.

Don't get me wrong, I love that a teen feels strongly enough about their faith to want it as a permanent part of themselves, outwardly expressed. I had even thought at one point about having mine replaced with a cross, but I still don't think I would feel good about it. I would rather have left my skin unmarked. I have no doubt that this teen will love it for a time. I just hope and pray that they don't regret the things of their youth.

To Prince: I don't beat myself up about it anymore. I felt guilt until I asked God's forgiveness and I know He has erased them from His sight. I still wish I had of never gotten them, lol.

Don't get me wrong, I love that a teen feels strongly enough about their faith to want it as a permanent part of themselves, outwardly expressed. I had even thought at one point about having mine replaced ...

Still Blessed:

Yes, I guess some moms would be worried that this is what their daughter or son wanted to do, while others would be thrilled.

It can be looked at from more than one perspective, I guess.

Re. a cover up with a faith based theme: I guess if so, the person would at least be looking at a design they liked...right? rather than the original design they don't like any more.

Depends whether ppl would be willing to go under the needle just one more time, I suppose.

But you must know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still Blessed:

Yes, I guess some moms would be worried that this is what their daughter or son wanted to do, while others would be thrilled.

Re. a cover up with a faith based theme: I guess if so, the person would at least be looking at a design they liked...right? rather than the original design they don't like any more.

Depends whether ppl would be willing to go under the needle just one more time, I suppose.
is farouk getting a tatoo or does he have one?

Still Blessed:

But you must know.

The needle didn't bother me since I have always had a high pain tolerance. It wouldn't solve the issue of the tat, though, lol.

The needle didn't bother me since I have always had a high pain tolerance. It wouldn't solve the issue of the tat, though, lol.

Still Blessed:

Oh okay. :) But I was just thinking more on the lines of, if the person regrets their previous design, but also at least in a sense greatly admires the idea of a faith based design, a cover up in a faith based design would at least bring into line the design that they have got to look at, with the idea of a design they do like and that they in a sense already admire on others.

(If this makes any sense? I know it can be an issue too difficult to resolve in some ppl's minds, though.)

J: i regretted a design years ago which soon faded.

I would say the best thing to do is let him get one.; he needs to make his own decisions. If later he decides it was a mistake - well then it is something that he needs to realise for himself. The worst thing my parents did was control things I wanted to do.

You could talk with him about a faith based one, but it is up to him in the end. People might not agree that he should have one at all, but it is his skin.

When we were teenagers a friend of mine got a tattoo of Goofy, leaning up against a lamp post and playing with a yo-yo. He's now in his sixties and still too embarrassed to wear short sleeved shirts.

PS: It might still be more advisable when the 18 year old is going through the 'rite of passage' thing to get, for example, more piercings in his or her ears (I know there are other placements, too) because the studs and rings can at least be removed later when the piercings have healed.

Whereas the tat is far more permanent, even if the design is good.

Still Blessed:
a cover up in a faith based design would at least bring into line the design that they have got to look at, with the idea of a design they do like

When I was entertaining the idea, those were my exact thoughts. I never could make up my mind, though, because even though I still see the ones I have, God doesn't since He has erased them from His sight. By covering up what I see, I wonder if I would simply be putting one back in His sight. I was never able to find peace with the idea, so decided to leave it alone.

PS: It might still be more advisable when the 18 year old is going through the 'rite of passage' thing to get, for example, more piercings in his or her ears (I know there are other placements, too) because the studs and rings can at least be removed later when the piercings have healed.

Whereas the tat is far more permanent, even if the design is good.

You know I agree with that! I did both back in the day. I only have one hole in each ear now, with no marks to show where others used to be, so the fact that I got them doesn't bother me. I don't have to look at them every day with regret. When I was over that time in my life, I simply took them out and in a short time, they were gone.:clap

When I was entertaining the idea, those were my exact thoughts. I never could make up my mind, though, because even though I still see the ones I have, God doesn't since He has erased them from His sight. By covering up what I see, I wonder if I would simply be putting one back in His sight. I was never able to find peace with the idea, so decided to leave it alone.

Still Blessed:

Well, I see...

You must know how you feel.

Each person has his or her own way of looking at things.

Some ppl wouldn't be able to see how God would actually prefer a non-faith tattoo design, to a faith design. But, then, not everyone sees things exactly the same way.

Blessings.

You know I agree with that! I did both back in the day. I only have one hole in each ear now, with no marks to show where others used to be, so the fact that I got them doesn't bother me. I don't have to look at them every day with regret. When I was over that time in my life, I simply took them out and in a short time, they were gone.:clap

Still Blessed:

Well, anyway, you must know what you prefer. Actually, I think you will find that the extra holes in earlobes thing has become pretty mainstream now. Like, grandmothers, pastor's wives, etc., might even have them. (But what do I know...?)

Still Blessed:

Well, anyway, you must know what you prefer. Actually, I think you will find that the extra holes in earlobes thing has become pretty mainstream now. Like, grandmothers, pastor's wives, etc., might even have them. (But what do I know...?)

Well, in the world we live in today, it seems that nothing is taboo anymore. Alas, just because the world accepts something, doesn't make it pleasing in the eyes of God. That's what I'm concerned with. I try not to care what people think. The "style" now seems to be to walk around with as little clothes on as possible. Do that and the world will applaud your "sense of style". It's part of our morales being compromised more with each day that passes. Things that 50 years ago were simply not done, at least not done and then bragged about, are an everyday thing now. Call me old fashioned, but I think the family institution is falling apart, marriages are no longer until death do you part, people don't raise their children in a Godly home, neighbors don't help each other, and prayer isn't accepted in the mainstream. I think it's just the downhill course that the world is going to take right until the Rapture.

Well, in the world we live in today, it seems that nothing is taboo anymore. Alas, just because the world accepts something, doesn't make it pleasing in the eyes of God. That's what I'm concerned with. I try not to care what people think. The "style" now seems to be to walk around with as little clothes on as possible. Do that and the world will applaud your "sense of style". It's part of our morales being compromised more with each day that passes. Things that 50 years ago were simply not done, at least not done and then bragged about, are an everyday thing now. Call me old fashioned, but I think the family institution is falling apart, marriages are no longer until death do you part, people don't raise their children in a Godly home, neighbors don't help each other, and prayer isn't accepted in the mainstream. I think it's just the downhill course that the world is going to take right until the Rapture.

Still blessed:

Oh I agree, 100%, basically. Yes.

(Not sure that two studs in each ear is the same as topless sunbathing, though. It's apples and oranges, really.)

But I agree about the rapture and 1 Thess. 4.

And the fact that things are going downhill morality wise surprises you? Really? Have you not read the Bible where it talks about the end times? :P

Seriously though Societies change, this happens. Still can be argued that there were times in history before where things were worse. We don't crucify people on dead trees and line the roads with them. We don't throw a bunch of people in a football stadium with lions and see who wins. We don't setup temples to roman gods and throw a bunch of prostitutes in them and call them priestess. We have it pretty good considering.

In modern terms of our world we don't have it as bad as Christians in other Islamic countries and the like that regularly throw Christians in jail or kill them. In my opinion we should focus on the good, not the bad.

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8"

As for tattoos I had wanted one for many years for faith reasons. I'm not going into what those were because I'm sure someone who doesn't like the idea will sidetrack the topic on it. I prayed about it for 10 years, I kid you not. Finally I was able to come up with a tattoo that fit my focused desires. This is it.
View attachment 1914
It is a band around my right forearm. It's symbolism is pretty clear, though there is some deeper significance to it. The band itself is a crown of thorns representing the suffering of Christ. The nail and blood represents both Christ's sacrifice for my sins and the struggle to die to self and live to God. It serves as a daily reminder for me. It's been 10 years since and I don't regret getting this. In fact I love it. I can not tell you the opportunities I've had to tell people about God and the openings it's brought just by shaking someones hand. It is a statement of faith. A daily reminder not to give up. It's an opportunity to witness. Most of all, it allows me to reach out to people that some can't. It opens closed doors with some groups. "...I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some." 1 Cor 9:22

My body is still a temple. We are not bound in the same ways by the old laws, or we wouldn't be eating shellfish or pork. There would still be people getting stoned. And last I knew, temples are decorated. So maybe you don't agree with it, but that doesn't make it sin.

Back