Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

old homes in my area, and from yours

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
images
Goodspeed-Opera-House-Photo-Credit-Robert-Benson-Photography1-300x199.jpg

This is the Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam, CT. on the CT. River. It was built in 1877. Across the draw bridge is Haddam, CT. where I grew up.
I saw my first stage play here, The HMS Pinafore. The bridge is a draw bridge.

images
header_house.jpg
jailhouse.jpg

This is the Haddam Meadows on the CT River. It is quite large with gravel roadways. I learned to drive here. At eight I caught my first fish off the dock. It was an ugly bullhead but I was so excited I fell off the dock into the river.
The Thankful Arnold house was constructed in sections from 1795 - 1810. From 1797 - 1962 the house was always occupied by a member of the Arnold family. When Issac Arnold died in 1973 the title transferred to the Historical Society. The family's story is at this site. http://www.haddamhistory.org/arnold_house.htm
The second house has an interesting past. The Hazenhurst Farm Barn: This magnificent structure was built in the early 1900's as the cow barn for Hazenhurst Farm. The cows would pass under Saybrook Road through a tunnel now filled in to reach the abundant pastures of Haddam Meadows. http://www.haddamhistory.org/landmarks.htm

I didn't take that, it is dated to be built in 1915, probably has outdoor plumbing. the daughter of axl hallstrom lived in that till she died. she had a home across the street which is torn down but its barns still stand and are part of the homestead.

". It was an ugly bullhead but I was so excited I fell off the dock into the river." LOL that's hilarious

this was rotting and was a drug user hideway. they are working on it and it is from the early 20's. one of a few on the route I did today, but I will show the royal palm split homes and grenada homes first. old vero beach homes were often this way if you had money. I will post the cracker homes as well. a few in both areas.View attachment 6324

if it werent for the druggies i would live there. they house looks nice..fun even!
it no longer has that problem. it was left to rot and it was like this, the front looked ok but behind it was bad. they have it rented out to two tenants there. the Viking in has about 8 apartments. I have a lot of these types of homes shown in this recent post to show. im not sure of their story and why they were like that. perhaps it was a hotel an then later an apartment. this is the second oldest community and is now a historical registered site. all homes cant be remodeled but will be able to get grants for restoration.

it no longer has that problem. it was left to rot and it was like this, the front looked ok but behind it was bad. they have it rented out to two tenants there. the Viking in has about 8 apartments. I have a lot of these types of homes shown in this recent post to show. im not sure of their story and why they were like that. perhaps it was a hotel an then later an apartment. this is the second oldest community and is now a historical registered site. all homes cant be remodeled but will be able to get grants for restoration.
oh, and the Australian pines follow the next road to the east, meaning along time ago prior to vero beach building up it was a grove. name unknown, I have no images to post as this area was built in the early 20's. vero was around then but it was maybe two streets prior to the the 20's I have an image to post of that time. note the means of transportation.View attachment 6325

the church behind that is the church I once worked for and it called first Baptist church the original sanctuary was used until 1960 and was later on added to and become the pantry and is now torn down.this also was then and up to the late 50's the main library for the county. the library is back next to this location for that reason.as you can see it has been added on to. in the late 80's this was rotting and was used in that condition and was granted a historical status an restored.View attachment 6326

they are celebrating the july 4th of 1920 in that image. the fact that woman could meet in by theirselves was quite progressive for that time.

circa the 30's the drive in park is now a plaza. the edifice in the middle there was a Spanish style design. of the buildings still standing only the maher building is left. still called that.View attachment 6327

I have looked at old ww2 topos of this area. once I go there and learn the borders of the pineapple groves I will share the image and show what is what then. I know the other two homes to the north which one of them I have shown(Helseth) is also easily found. all three of their structures are still around. two are easy to see from google earth the other isn't. I cant use google earth to show the packing house converted into a home from the ground level.

in the maher building there was a store called alma lee's it sold clothing from I think the 50's to 1994. alma lee is still alive and is near 100. I saw her today going to her church, the afformentioned first Baptist church.she is able to drive still and has all her faculties. she is a plethora of stories of this time. she was real young then of course. very graceful and humble. yet also when you talk to her its felt you are standing in a great person's shadow.

near the image old and new of the woman's club and the maher building is this edifice, it had at one time a tunnel under the road to the drive in teller. I remember using that. it is now a furniture store. the building predates the depression. it also had a clock that would tell time and temperature in celsuis and fareignhiteView attachment 6328

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back