Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Parable of the Ten Virgins

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Hidden In Him

Staff member
The following is my teaching on the Parable of the Ten Virgins. It is interpreted from a distinctly Charismatic point of view, as the oil of the Holy Spirit plays a prominent role in it. It is also interpreted in light of what the other parables in Matthew 24 and 25 teach that surround it, but to treat those in the same context would require another thread.

Blessings to all in advance who read and/or participate in conversation on this thread,
Hidden In Him

Then the kingdom of heaven will be likened unto ten virgins who, having taken their lamps, went forth to the meeting of the bridegroom. But five were foolish and five were wise. For the foolish, having taken their lamps, did not take oil with them. But the wise took oil in jars along with their lamps. And with the bridegroom delaying, they all became drowsy and were sleeping. At midnight there was a cry: "Behold, the bridegroom! Go forth to meet him!" Then all the virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. The foolish said to the wise, "Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out." But the wise answered saying, "No, lest there not be enough for us and you. Instead, go to those who sell and buy it for yourselves." But while they were on their way to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding feast, and the door was shut. And afterwards, the remaining virgins also came, saying, "Lord, Lord, open unto us!" But he, having answered, said, "Truly, I say unto you, I do not know you." Keep watch, therefore, for you do not know the day nor the hour. (Matthew 25:1-13)

Prophetically, the Jewish wedding ceremony foreshadowed the coming of Christ for His bride, the church. In Jewish custom, the bridegroom could come at any time, so the bride had to stay prepared. And the ceremony was held at night to prefigure Christ returning for the church during the darkest time in human history, the time just before the Antichrist assumed full power over the earth. As the parable states, as His return is drawing near, it will become obvious that the end-time prophecies are on their way to fulfillment, so "the call will go out," and the Spirit will inform those with ears to hear that Christ's return is imminent.

But because the times preceding the Lord's return will be so dark spiritually, abiding in the Holy Spirit will be more important than ever in history. The lamps the ten virgins hold represent God's word, for as scripture says, "Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path" (Psalm 119:105). The oil, however, represents the Holy Spirit, sent to illuminate God's word and reveal it to us, and to entire churches collectively, through the spiritual gifts in operation. This is clearly evidently in what the apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians:

What is it, then, brothers? Whenever you may come together, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. If anyone with a tongue speaks, [let it be] by two or the most three, and in succession, and let one interpret. And if there is no interpreter, let him be silent in the church, but let him speak to himself and God. And let prophets speak two or three, and let the others discern. And if anything should be revealed to another sitting by, let the first one be silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and be exhorted. (1 Corinthians 14:26-31)

Because of the great darkness of the times, the wise will "take oil with their lamps," meaning they will fully understand their need to continue abiding in the Spirit as evidenced by operating in the gifts, so that the Spirit Himself continues shinning light on their path, especially prophetically. They will be very dark times when the lives of believers are in grave danger continually. In the natural, trimming a lamp draws the oil up from the storage reservoir so that it burns most cleanly and brightly and creates the highest flame possible, thus providing the most light.

586fde_8e78e0eccea64c698d30c7af1cc46df8.jpg_srz_608_370_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

In a state of growing darkness and desperation, the foolish will say to those who still have oil in their lamps, "Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.," and this is one of the more difficult aspects of the parable for interpreters to figure out. What does this represent? In light of the Oil representing the anointing of God upon believers, it is basically impossible for those who operate in gifts like prophecy, tongues, interpretation of tongues, revelation etc to impart these things to those who do not, but have instead grown distant from God in their relationship with Him. As Jesus prophesied, "Many will betray one another... and because false prophets shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." For those clothed in "tongues of fire" as it were, having to turn their focus to trying to pray for those who are not close to God to walk in the supernatural gifts will be to start undermining their own ability to do so in the process, hence the response will be, "Not so, lest there not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell, and buy for yourselves." In other words, "Go to God in prayer for them yourselves."

The problem, however, will be that during this time of increasing anxiety and fear, renewing intimacy with God will be all that much more difficult for those who have not already trained themselves to this type of fully devoted and consecrated lifestyle. As stated, it will be a time of great darkness and fear, and anxieties over the things coming upon the world will "choke out the word, making it unfruitful." Thus, they will eventually fall away under the heat of persecution and anxiety, focusing on their fears instead of God, with the truly tragic part of it being that when the Lord does finally return, He will say to them, "Truly I do not know you."

Though it would only become fully apparent by a full treatment of the surrounding teachings, the ten virgins also represent two different groups of spiritual leaders, not just everyday believers. This is evident party from the fact that they are bridesmaids, not the bride. This means they are there to prepare the way FOR the bride, but one group will do so wisely while the other will not. Thus, Jesus was prophetically warning the disciples not to let the Holy Spirit, which would be poured out upon them like tongues of fire at Pentecost, become extinguished. The anointing of the Holy Spirit would be the source by which they continued to receive prophetic light from God up until the time of His return. And as bridesmaids, they would need to continue ministering light to His bride, so that when the Bridegroom came she would be able to "see" Him coming in the spiritual night, and be fully prepared to meet Him (See also Matthew 24:42-51, and Matthew 25:31-46).

Last edited:
Because of the great darkness of the times, the wise will "take oil with their lamps," meaning they will fully understand their need to continue abiding in the Spirit as evidenced by operating in the gifts, so that the Spirit Himself continues shinning light on their path, especially prophetically.

My first take away point. Really good.

The other part is with praying for believers in the time who do not have that oil. My thought is it may not just be in praying for those who need to keep abiding in the spirit, but actually training in the prophetic gifts and in the discipline of walking spiritually. This will get harder and harder to do.

Last edited:
The other part is with praying for believers in the time who did not have that oil. Which my thought is not just in praying for those who need to keep abiding in the spirit, but actually being trained in the prophetic gifts/trained in the discipline of walking spiritually.

Absolutely. They are not something you develop the ability to operate in in a day. Everyone who does so begins small, of course, but to do so properly requires experience in it. There are all sorts of misuses and abuses, as Paul's teachings to the Corinthians pointed out. And as he said to the Thessalonians, "Don't despise prophesying, but keep the good and discard the bad" (paraphrase).

There was also the problem of servants of darkness being present within congregations as well, which required testing the spirits to see what it was they were teaching. So there is actually a great deal involved in operating in the gifts, and to try and train people in it whose light is going out... it's like (and I hate to say this cruelly but it communicates the point) over-investing in people who are bad investments in time. If they had truly loved God and truly been interested in walking in wisdom, they would have already heeded the clear warning of scripture as told in this parable. But only when they realize their need when it is too late will they finally start trying to get it together spiritually, and this is the driving point of the parable; not to take things for granted until it is too late.

Jesus makes the same point a few verses earlier when He told them, "But if those wicked servants say to themselves, 'My master delays His coming,' and begin to beat his servants and eat and drink, the Master will come in a day they are not aware, and appoint them their portion with the hypocrites, where there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Beating his servants instead of providing them with spiritual food essentially just refers to spiritual abuse, and that's what spiritual leadership inevitably leads to when they are not truly ministering by the Spirit of God but ministering only in the flesh.

Absolutely. They are not something you develop the ability to operate in in a day. Everyone who does so begins small, of course, but to do so properly requires experience in it. There are all sorts of misuses and abuses, as Paul's teachings to the Corinthians pointed out. And as he said to the Thessalonians, "Don't despise prophesying, but keep the good and discard the bad" (paraphrase).

There was also the problem of servants of darkness being present within congregations as well, which required testing the spirits to see what it was they were teaching. So there is actually a great deal involved in operating in the gifts, and to try and train people in it whose light is going out... it's like (and I hate to say this cruelly but it communicates the point) over-investing in people who are bad investments in time. If they had truly loved God and truly been interested in walking in wisdom, they would have already heeded the clear warning of scripture as told in this parable. But only when they realize their need when it is too late will they finally start trying to get it together spiritually, and this is the driving point of the parable; not to take things for granted until it is too late.

Jesus makes the same point a few verses earlier when He told them, "But if those wicked servants say to themselves, 'My master delays His coming,' and begin to beat his servants and eat and drink, the Master will come in a day they are not aware, and appoint them their portion with the hypocrites, where there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Beating his servants instead of providing them with spiritual food essentially just refers to spiritual abuse, and that's what spiritual leadership inevitably leads to when they are not truly ministering by the Spirit of God but ministering only in the flesh.

May our lights as believers just keep shining brighter and brighter till the Lord's return. Keep learning and growing in the Word of God and our walks with Him, and developing our spiritual gifts...

This is good! I'll read this more tomorrow. Goodnight, bro! Thanks for posting. I knew you had taught on this briefly before and it was really good.

The following is my teaching on the Parable of the Ten Virgins. It is interpreted from a distinctly Charismatic point of view, as the oil of the Holy Spirit plays a prominent role in it. It is also interpreted in light of what the other parables in Matthew 24 and 25 teach that surround it, but to treat those in the same context would require another thread.

Blessings to all in advance who read and/or participate in conversation on this thread,
Hidden In Him
Sister Hopeful hawkman

Just letting you all know that I had come here and shared this in this thread also in case others may reply to this thread specifically..

One should prove all things by Jesus Christ as you noted this was given by a Charismatic viewpoint. It should be considered by His viewpoint rather than a church's.

Then the kingdom of heaven will be likened unto ten virgins who, having taken their lamps, went forth to the meeting of the bridegroom. But five were foolish and five were wise. For the foolish, having taken their lamps, did not take oil with them. But the wise took oil in jars along with their lamps. And with the bridegroom delaying, they all became drowsy and were sleeping. At midnight there was a cry: "Behold, the bridegroom! Go forth to meet him!" Then all the virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. The foolish said to the wise, "Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out." But the wise answered saying, "No, lest there not be enough for us and you. Instead, go to those who sell and buy it for yourselves." But while they were on their way to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding feast, and the door was shut. And afterwards, the remaining virgins also came, saying, "Lord, Lord, open unto us!" But he, having answered, said, "Truly, I say unto you, I do not know you." Keep watch, therefore, for you do not know the day nor the hour. (Matthew 25:1-13)
I see the ten virgins as in His kingdom of Heaven.

The five that were wise, had their oil with them and were filled when the Bridegroom had arrived.

But five were foolish in that they had to go out to the market to get the oil to be filled.

So that is why I say we have been always Spirit-filled since salvation but those that went astray thinking they can receive the Holy Spirit again apart from salvation, are considered as out to the market for why they were not ready as abiding in Him to go.

I believe Revelation 2:18-25 is applicable to calling those that have gone astray to repent of this spiritual fornication or else be cast into the bed of the great tribulation.

It also address those saints that do not know that false doctrine nor the depths of Satan for which they speak ( which I discern as tongues for private use ( Isaiah 8:19 & 1 Timothy 4:1-2 ) in that city, to hold fast till He comes.

So that is my understanding of what Jesus is warning about as this also testify to those left behind that they are still in His kingdom but shut out from the Marriage Supper with the Bridegroom when you consider the meaning of the first verse.

Last edited:
One should prove all things by Jesus Christ as you noted this was given by a Charismatic viewpoint. It should be considered by His viewpoint rather than a church's.

To catch others up (since Golgotha already knows this), as stated on the other thread, when I say that I am presenting this interpretation from the Charismatic perspective, that does not mean that I learned it from anyone. The vast majority of what I teach I learned from no man, but have received from the Holy Spirit as my Teacher. I gave myself to this practice more than two decades ago. I wasn't raised Christian, and was only a member of a Baptist Church and an Assembly Of God Church for very short times respectively, so my teachings are my own. Not normally something I would divulge, but I thought it needed to be made clear that this is not some official interpretation gleaned from Charismatic circles. I have never seen it published or preached anywhere other than in my own writings.
But five were foolish in that they had to go out to the market to get the oil to be filled.

Ok, now here is your first inconsistency in interpretation, Golgotha, in that this appears to be a forced interpretation being transposed unto the text, but in opposition to what the narrative is actually saying.

Now watch closely. The Parable reads as follows:

For the foolish, having taken their lamps, did not take oil with them. But the wise took oil in jars along with their lamps. And with the bridegroom delaying, they all became drowsy and were sleeping. At midnight there was a cry: "Behold, the bridegroom! Go forth to meet him!" Then all the virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. The foolish said to the wise, "Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out."

There are two elements here: The lamps and extra jars of oil. The extra jars are what the wise took, while the foolish did not. But notice what the foolish say as time progresses: "Our lamps are going out." Lamps cannot burn without any oil in them. They won't even light. So this means that they did indeed have oil in the lamps when they began the night, but what they did not have was additional oil in jars like the wise did. This means that the foolish virgins did indeed have the Holy Spirit, but they did not continue to abide in It, but rather let the Spirit be extinguished within them, just as the apostle Paul warned in another place that Christians should not.
So that is why I say we have been always Spirit-filled since salvation

This was addressed will by JLB in your thread, though he didn't follow up on it, so let me quote that passage again and show you where your response has weaknesses to it, and God bless, good to be discussing the word of God together, even though we strongly disagree.

So that is why I say we have been always Spirit-filled since salvation

Ok, the following was JLB's response to this argument, which I will simply copy and paste here:

Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit. (Acts 8:14-17)

Here we see that Samaria were coming to Christ, and having received the message of salvation through Phillip they were also baptized in water. However, they hadn't received the baptism with the Spirit, so Peter and John came down and laid hands on them and they received the baptism with the Spirit, as the verse so plainly says... They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. (Water Baptism).
_________

Your answer was as follows:
The people's area was on the man Simon for these supernatural afflictions and so naturally, they were looking a Philip as the one doing those things rather than Jesus Christ. So it was a fault of the people for why they were getting water baptized by Philip and not really his fault for why God sent Peter & John down so their sights would be off of him to Jesus Christ to receive the promise of the Spirit by coming to Jesus Christ by faith, as in believing in Jesus Christ.

The problem with this position is that the text specifically states, "They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus." If their faith had been in Philip, they would have been baptized in his name. The logical conclusion for why they were baptized in the name of Jesus was that they had believed on the name of Jesus, not Philip.

To catch others up (since Golgotha already knows this), as stated on the other thread, when I say that I am presenting this interpretation from the Charismatic perspective, that does not mean that I learned it from anyone. The vast majority of what I teach I learned from no man, but have received from the Holy Spirit as my Teacher. I gave myself to this practice more than two decades ago. I wasn't raised Christian, and was only a member of a Baptist Church and an Assembly Of God Church for very short times respectively, so my teachings are my own. Not normally something I would divulge, but I thought it needed to be made clear that this is not some official interpretation gleaned from Charismatic circles. I have never seen it published or preached anywhere other than in my own writings.
I have heard His voice at one time when I was at my wits end but scripture later confirmed that what He had said was the truth.

I had asked the Lord why He was not helping me to keep the covenant with my mouth not to cuss. He answered "You made the covenant. You said you were going to do it. I made the Covenant with you & I said I am going to do it. All I ask from you is to believe in Me."

Then these scriptures confirmed the Voice as coming from Jesus Christ. Numbers 30:2 & Ecclesiastes 5:4-6 & Matthew 5:33-37 & John 6:28-29 & Galatians 3:1-3 & Galatians 5:1-5, & Philippians 1:6-11. I use he KJV for these references BTW. The CEV had changed the message of His words as if it was okay to make promises to Him that He was to do Himself as we are the works of His hands. FYI

Basically, you are to prove all things by Jesus Christ at that throne of grace by the scripture. Since there can be no lie of the truth, then the Holy Spirit will not say anything from Jesus Christ that would go contrary against the written scripture.

So the apostle John in testing the spirits in 1 John 4:1-6 can be done in that way too.
Ok, now here is your first inconsistency in interpretation, Golgotha, in that this appears to be a forced interpretation being transposed unto the text, but in opposition to what the narrative is actually saying.

For the foolish, having taken their lamps, did not take oil with them. But the wise took oil in jars along with their lamps. And with the bridegroom delaying, they all became drowsy and were sleeping. At midnight there was a cry: "Behold, the bridegroom! Go forth to meet him!" Then all the virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. The foolish said to the wise, "Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out."

There are two elements here: The lamps and extra jars of oil. The extra jars are what the wise took, while the foolish did not. But notice what the foolish say as time progresses: "Our lamps are going out." Lamps cannot burn without any oil in them. They won't even light. So this means that they did indeed have oil in the lamps when they began the night, but what they did not have was additional oil in jars like the wise did. This means that the foolish virgins did indeed have the Holy Spirit, but they did not continue to abide in It, but rather let the Spirit be extinguished within them, just as the apostle Paul warned in another place that Christians should not.
I see no 'extra" in the reading of those passages. They either had the oil or they did not.
This was addressed will by JLB in your thread, though he didn't follow up on it, so let me quote that passage again and show you where your response has weaknesses to it, and God bless, good to be discussing the word of God together, even though we strongly disagree.
I thank you for sharing, but I still see that parable as I do that believers that seek a continual filling of the Spirit, even for a second time as apart from salvation, is why they are out at the market whereas the five that did not go out to the market but were ready as filled with oil since salvation to meet the Bridegroom.

So to repent and be ready, believers need to denounce that extra phenomenon and the tongue it brings for private use and pray normally and rest in Him as Spirit-filled since salvation to never chase after a filling again in the market.

I see no 'extra" in the reading of those passages. They either had the oil or they did not.

I mean that there are lamps and there are jars. Both are mentioned in the parable, with the extra oil being contained in the jars.
So to repent and be ready, believers need to denounce that extra phenomenon and the tongue it brings for private use and pray normally and rest in Him as Spirit-filled since salvation to never chase after a filling again in the market.

I have friends who take comfort in this same position, and I am at least glad for that. But my contention is that we cannot base our theology on what provides us comfort, as valuable as that can be to the troubled at heart, thinking God will not accept them.

The problem with this position is that the text specifically states, "They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus." If their faith had been in Philip, they would have been baptized in his name. The logical conclusion for why they were baptized in the name of Jesus was that they had believed on the name of Jesus, not Philip.
Then explain why they had not received the Holy Spirit yet at their "born again of the Spirit" moment of their salvation?

Paul said this;

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

So something is wrong here. I had explained it with His help, but you guys can try.

As it is, you guys cannot use that reference as proof that a believer can receive the Holy Spirit "again" when they never had Him in the first place. See? Well, I hope you can with the Lord's help.

I mean that there are lamps and there are jars. Both are mentioned in the parable, with the extra oil being contained in the jars.
When the call that the Bridegroom was coming, then they trimmed their lamps with the oil from their jars and lit them, but the foolish found they had to go out to the market to fill their lamps, because they took no oil with them.
I have friends who take comfort in this same position, and I am at least glad for that. But my contention is that we cannot base our theology on what provides us comfort, as valuable as that can be to the troubled at heart, thinking God will not accept them.
Yet I apply that parable for the call to be ready is to not be out to the market place to get the oil. We have that oil for why we are ready for when the Bridegroom comes..

Then explain why they had not received the Holy Spirit yet at their "born again of the Spirit" moment of their salvation?

Because we are born again, not by corruptible seed, but incorruptible, through the word of God. The lamps represent the word of God, which both the foolish and the wise virgins had at the beginning of the parable.
Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

So something is wrong here. I had explained it with His help, but you guys can try.

Jesus said, "My words are Spirit, and they are Life." This is why salvation does not come at the moment we receive the outpouring for empowerment to witness, but at the moment we believe. Salvation is by faith.

When the call that the Bridegroom was coming, then they trimmed their lamps with the oil from their jars and lit them, but the foolish found they had to go out to the market to fill their lamps, because they took no oil with them.

:) Look closely.

For the foolish, having taken their lamps, did not take oil with them. But the wise took oil in jars along with their lamps.

Only the wise had jars. The foolish did not. They only had lamps. But since their lamps did burn for a time before they began going out, this means that their lamps did contain oil, only they did not realize that they would need more oil than just the oil they had in their lamp; they needed to bring more oil in jars.

And I'll go you one further: You wanna know what the jars likely represent? Further in-fillings of the Holy Spirit, so that they could maintain themselves under the anointing of God, whereas the foolish might have believed something like what you are presently still teaching; that additional fillings would not be necessary, only they were. :)

Just jumping in. Has anyone described the lamps of the day. And I do not know totally if I am thinking correctly. The lamps of that day did not have much oil in it. The wick would be wet but oil supply was open. Enough for a short burn but not long term. Taking a lamp for long term use required another closed oil vessel?

They did not have a modern farmers metal lamp with a tank and sealed lid, flame adjustment, glass globe, etc.

Jesus noted the loss of symbolic oil? When the power left him to heal the lady with the issue of blood.

Jesus went aside and pray for power (oil?) to go through his dark time.

eddif

Just jumping in. Has anyone described the lamps of the day. And I do not know totally if I am thinking correctly. The lamps of that day did not have much oil in it. The wick would be wet but oil supply was open. Enough for a short burn but not long term. Taking a lamp for long term use required another closed oil vessel?

They did not have a modern farmers metal lamp with a tank and sealed lid, flame adjustment, glass globe, etc.

Jesus noted the loss of symbolic oil? When the power left him to heal the lady with the issue of blood.

Jesus went aside and pray for power (oil?) to go through his dark time.

eddif

That is a very neat thought. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

I found an interesting piece on it. If you look down to the 5th and 6th images in this link, it shows what lamps by Jesus' time had progressed to. Since they were designed to light the way for people in the dark, and judging by the size of the oil containers, one would guess that they likely could burn for several hours when full, though exactly how long is not easy information to come by yet.

Maybe it will let me post the article in full, or at least up through the Herodian era lamps. Let me try:

The Oil Lamp​

The earliest oil lamps from the Biblical world are believed to have been either pottery dishes or shells into which oil or animal fat, and a wick were placed. Some of these would have been shaped by hand, others made on a potter’s wheel.
586fde_8cce141c676c4932a1bc9b8bb13d6631.jpg

586fde_2625dd272bd9446abaa43bfaa474a92f.jpg

At some point potters realized that creating a pinched spout would hold the wick in place more effectively. Many early lamps had four spouts. It is thought that these early lamps used fish oil, which does not burn as brightly as olive oil. It is possible, that four wicks were used to increase the brightness of the lamp. However modern experimentation has shown that these ‘four spouted’ lamps burn oil quite quickly, and it was possibly the frustration of needing to continually fill them that led people to instead use single wick lamps.

The oil lamp was a brilliant little invention, providing clean safe light throughout the year. For many millennia, all across the Mediterranean region, people relied on oil from the olives to provide them with light late into the night. The technology involved was incredibly simple: a pottery vessel, a linen wick, a dose of olive oil and a way of getting the flame started.

Over time, changes were made to the single wick saucer lamps. The pinched spout became more defined and the bases were made a lot flatter. This was the style of lamp used at the time of King David. "You, Lord, are my lamp; the Lord turns my darkness into light." 2 Samuel 22:29

586fde_281629ef06b4443e833f8e6cee9ec648.jpg

586fde_dee98d20c7f44915909d75c3217f489b.jpg

Some 500 years later, Greek lamps began to show some new and interesting innovations. The Greeks produced a lamp with a closed-in body which decreased spillage, and a covered spout which prevented the wick from burning up as quickly. They also glazed many of their lamps, preventing the oil from seeping through the pottery, and thus being wasted.

Over time, lamp design continued to change. Lamps used by the Jews at the time of Jesus were extremely plain. These Herodian lamps lacked any decoration as the pious Jews banned the use of most images on their objects. They did however still retain the functional innovations of the Greeks. On several occasions, Jesus mentions lamps in his teaching. For example, In Matthew 25:1-13, he tells this parable about ten virgins:

“At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish and five were wise. The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep. At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’ “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’ “‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’ But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut. “Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’ “But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’ “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.

586fde_0a238c27551c4cc29072e7c94df336e9.jpg

586fde_faa144fc0b0c48488c77abb2040245d0.jpg

The image above shows a Herodian oil lamp, and Iron Age lamp filler used to carry extra oil. Our experiments have shown that a replica Herodian lamp filled with olive oil will burn for around 4-5 hours, and would run out at about midnight, just as the foolish virgins discovered.

Look at that! I didn't notice until just now, but the second image contains a picture of the type of jars used as well, by which the lamps were refilled. How cool!

"The image above shows a Herodian oil lamp, and Iron Age lamp filler used to carry extra oil. Our experiments have shown that a replica Herodian lamp filled with olive oil will burn for around 4-5 hours, and would run out at about midnight, just as the foolish virgins discovered."

Doh! And now that I'm actually reading the rest of it, it says how long a full lamp would burn: Roughly 4 - 5 hours. What a nice piece! I wasn't expecting to find out.

Last edited:
Look at that! I didn't notice until just now, but the second image contains a picture of the type of jars used as well, by which the lamps were refilled. How cool!

"The image above shows a Herodian oil lamp, and Iron Age lamp filler used to carry extra oil. Our experiments have shown that a replica Herodian lamp filled with olive oil will burn for around 4-5 hours, and would run out at about midnight, just as the foolish virgins discovered."

Doh! And now that I'm actually reading the rest of it, it says how long a full lamp would burn: Roughly 4 - 5 hours. What a nice piece! I wasn't expecting to find out.

So cool!!!! I like this parable even more now

Back