Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Pride

cybershark5886 said:
As for the Prophet bit, yes prophecy is gift but it is not given to people as a position of infallible authority. Prophecy is used to reveal God's word as it has already been given .
Was Jonah a Prophet ?

His God-given prophecy failed, you know ?

Jay T said:
Was Jonah a Prophet ?

So, Jay T are you calling God a liar? If the prophecy was given by God it can not fail!

Jay T said:
Was Jonah a Prophet ?

Jay T
You are amazing to me. i do not mean that in a good way....For someone who has a website that supposedly preaches ''TRUTH AND KNOWLEDGE'', you certainly make a lot mistakes and then don't fess up to them.

I just finished reading the book of Jonah all for you...Please show me where one of Gods prophecies failed....

I am sure you are refering to Chapter 3 right? Well lets take a close look at the text....

1 And the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the second time, saying, 2 Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee. 3 So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days’ journey. 4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day’s journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.
5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them. 6 For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. 7 And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water: 8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands. 9 Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not? 10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

In verse 10, The KJV uses the word ''repented''...the hebrew word for repented is (nā∙ḥǎm)...This hebrew word is very rich in meaning...It means to be comforted, to console oneself, to be grieved, to change ones mind...

How can this be a failed prophecy when God changed his mind? He even gave the reason why he changed his mind in verse 10a..Had God not given an explaination as to why Nineveh was not destroyed, then it would have been a failed prophecy. But that was NOT the case....

There is so much to learn here in this section of scripture, but it will sidetrack the thread....This thread is of ''Pride''.... :-?

Judy said:
So, Jay T are you calling God a liar? If the prophecy was given by God it can not fail!
God's Promises have ALWAYS BEEN, on condition.

The lessons throughout the whole Bible should, have taught the Christian world, that fact !

God Promises.....Only IF....

1 John 1:7 "But ...IF... we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin".

1 John 2:24 "IF... that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.

Hebrews 10:38 "Now the just shall live by faith: but ...IF... [any man] draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him".

John 15:5 " I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

15:6 IF... a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast [them] into the fire, and they are burned.

15:7 IF... ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you".

John 8:51 " Verily, verily, I say unto you, IF...a man keep my saying, he shall never see death".

Romans 11:22 "Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, IF... thou continue in [his] goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off".

2 Peter 1:10 "Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for IF... ye do these things, ye shall never fall"

Hebrews 3:14 "For we are made partakers of Christ, IF... we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end"

2 Timothy 2:12 "IF... we suffer, we shall also reign with [him]: IF...we deny [him], he also will deny us"

Hebrews 10:26 "For IF... we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries".

1 John 2:3 "And hereby we do know that we know him, IF...we keep his commandments.

2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him".

John 15:14 "Ye are my friends, IF... ye do whatsoever I command you".

No Unconditional Election

(Eze. 18:20-24; 33:12-16; Rom. 11:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2; 2 Peter 1:10; 2:15-21.) No Unconditional Election.--[2 Peter 1:2-10 quoted.] Here is the condition of the only saving election in the Word of God.

We are to become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. We are to add grace to grace, and the promise is, "If ye do these things, ye shall never fall: for so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ."

There is no such thing in the Word of God as unconditional election-- once in grace, always in grace.

In the second chapter of Second Peter the subject is made plain and distinct. After a history of some who followed an evil course, the explanation is given: "which have forsaken the right way, . . . following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness." . . . [2 Peter 2:15-20 quoted.] Here is a class of whom the apostle warns, "For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them." . . .

There is truth to be received if souls are saved. The keeping of the commandments of God is life eternal to the receiver. But the Scriptures make it plain that those who once knew the way of life and rejoiced in

the truth are in danger of falling through apostasy, and being lost. Therefore there is need of a decided, daily conversion to God.

All who seek to sustain the doctrine of election, once in grace, always in grace, do this against a plain, "Thus saith the Lord." . . . [Eze. 18:21; 33:13 quoted.]

Those who have been truly converted have been buried with Christ in the likeness of His death, and raised from the watery grave in the likeness of His resurrection, to walk in newness of life.

By faithful obedience to the truth they are to make their calling and election sure.

In the Old Testament, God (Christ), mentioned many times....'IF YOU OBEY ME....THEN....I WILL BLESS YOU'.

Jesus Christ has not...changed, the way HE deals with men then, in that time...to today !

How many people who call themselves Christians....realize that...Salvation is Conditional also ?

Remember....Jesus Christ, did not....save people 'from' their sins....so they could continue on, to keep sinning !

Jay T said:
Remember....Jesus Christ, did not....save people 'from' their sins....so they could continue on, to keep sinning !
Why do you continue to sin then?

Was Jonah a Prophet ?

Judy wrote:

Jay T, you said that God's given prophecy failed... Now my question to you is/was are you calling God a liar? Because if the prophecy was given by God it cannot fail!

• Hebrew 6:18. .......... that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie[/*:m:74bdc]

• Titus 1:2. ............ in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began,[/*:m:74bdc]

• Deu 18:22. "when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.[/*:m:74bdc]

4_9_13.gif

Judy said:
Jay T, you said that God's given prophecy failed... Now my question to you is/was are you calling God a liar? Because if the prophecy was given by God it cannot fail!

• Hebrew 6:18. .......... that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie[/*:m:b1bb2]

• Titus 1:2. ............ in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began,[/*:m:b1bb2]

• Deu 18:22. "when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.[/*:m:b1bb2]
When Jonah gave the Prophecy, from God, that the City of Nineveh was to be destroyed in 40 days......was the city destroyed 40 days AFTER Jonah gave that prophecy ?

Jay T said:
When Jonah gave the Prophecy, from God, that the City of Nineveh was to be destroyed in 40 days......was the city destroyed 40 days AFTER Jonah gave that prophecy ?

No the city was not destroyed....but that doesn't mean that God's prophecy failed. He told Jonah to warn the city of Nineveh, they heeded the warning and repented of their sins. And as a result God's wrath no longer was against that city. It is the same way when we were sinners the punishment for that is death, but when we repent and confess our sins God is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins. That is what he did to the city of Nineveh.

Jay T you need to learn about the God you supposedly serve, because if you think for on second that any of God's prophecies can fail you are not serving the right God.
Just like it says in Deu. that if a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, and it it doesn't come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord has NOT spoken.

• Deu 18:22. "when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.[/*:m:74536]

Judy said:
No the city was not destroyed....but that doesn't mean that God's prophecy failed. He told Jonah to warn the city of Nineveh, they heeded the warning and repented of their sins. And as a result God's wrath no longer was against that city. It is the same way when we were sinners the punishment for that is death, but when we repent and confess our sins God is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins. That is what he did to the city of Nineveh.

Jay T you need to learn about the God you supposedly serve, because if you think for on second that any of God's prophecies can fail you are not serving the right God.
Just like it says in Deu. that if a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, and it it doesn't come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord has NOT spoken.

• Deu 18:22. "when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.[/*:m:1b045]
Jay T believes in a god that uses Ellen G. White as a prophet, but she is not a prophet, only a messenger, but her words are to be taken as God's authority and God's truth, when she has made one contradiction after another concerning the Word of God.

Perhaps Jay T will come to an understanding of what being born again truly is so that he can be saved instead of deceived by the god of this world.

Solo said:
Jay T believes in a god that uses Ellen G. White as a prophet, but she is not a prophet, only a messenger, but her words are to be taken as God's authority and God's truth, when she has made one contradiction after another concerning the Word of God.
Apparently you did not read what I've said in the past......E. White NEVER called herself a Prophet, and neither do I.
She merely expounded on what God has already said, in the Bible....because She herslef said that God would NEVER have had her write things out...IF....the Christian world had understood the Bible, in the first place.
In other words...she should NEVER have had to write anything....ever.

Take for example Sunday worship services.
Had the Christian world understood the Bible prophecies, they would have recognized satan's attempt to change the Lord's day from the 7th day sabbath to Sunday.....(Daniel 7:25...'think to change times and laws')
Perhaps Jay T will come to an understanding of what being born again truly is so that he can be saved instead of deceived by the god of this world.
Born-again means to stop living a life od committing sinful practices, to living a life without committing sin.

The 'old' creature lived to commit sin, while the 'new' creature lives a lifestyle of Righteousness.
And, Righteousness is defined in the Bible as God's commandments (Psalms 119:172), designed to promote health and happiness, with GREAT PEACE.

The born-again experience is only by the word of God.
To disobey just ONE COMMANDMENT......shows a need to be born-again......
Romans 8:6 For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace.
8:7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

She merely expounded on what God has already said, in the Bible....because She herslef said that God would NEVER have had her write things out...IF....the Christian world had understood the Bible, in the first place.
In other words...she should NEVER have had to write anything....ever.

Now why would an almighty God that has preserved His Word for thousands of years need a "women" to speak for Him and make clear what He is trying to say????
Jay T what you have shown me is that we do not serve the same God. You say yours lies because he has spoke and the thing didn't come to pass as in Jonah and Nineveh. And now you are saying that your god needs help expressing himself. :-?
Jay T do yourself a favor and learn who God is. I believe it is Gabby that has a study here on the attributes of God check it out.

• Deu 12:32. "Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it.[/*:m:be64b]

• Proverbs 30:5. Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.
    6. Do not add to His words, lest He reprove you, and you be found a liar.[/*:m:be64b]

• Rev.22:18. For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
    19. and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
    20. He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming quickly.'' Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus![/*:m:be64b]

Judy said:
Now why would an almighty God that has preserved His Word for thousands of years need a "women" to speak for Him and make clear what He is trying to say????
You have something against 'women' prophets ?
Then you must feel very troubled about God using women prophets in the New testament then ?

Wasn't there some 4-5 prophets of God's that were women ?
I know spoken of one man, having 3 daughters, who were prophets.
Jay T what you have shown me is that we do not serve the same God. You say yours lies because he has spoke and the thing didn't come to pass as in Jonah and Nineveh. And now you are saying that your god needs help expressing himself. :-?
Prophets are to be used, to the end of this world's history.....
Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Jay T do yourself a favor and learn who God is. I believe it is Gabby that has a study here on the attributes of God check it out.
Gabby seems to know her stuff.
I respect what I've heard her say so far.
  • Deu 12:32. "Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it.[/*:m:3d1ec]
That's the same thing Revelation 22 says.....because if a person takes anythng away, from what God has said, that person's name will be taken OUT OF the Book of Life (Revelation 22:19)..

And, is one of the reason I don't recognize Sunday worship services, because it is not Biblical.

• Proverbs 30:5. Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.
    6. Do not add to His words, lest He reprove you, and you be found a liar.[/*:m:3d1ec]
Good words that the modern Christian world should pay attention to.
  • Rev.22:18. For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
    19. and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
    20. He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming quickly.'' Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus![/*:m:3d1ec]
AMEN !!!

Jay T your answer speaks volumes to me. Out all that I said you chose to defend the women and Not God. I only used "women" because you were talking about E White.
If I may repeat myself,
"Now why would an almighty God that has preserved His Word for thousands of years need a "women" to speak for Him and make clear what He is trying to say????
.....now you are saying that your god needs help expressing himself."

So am I to assume by your omission that you do believe God to be a liar?

This is typical Jay T style. To avoid the questions being asked. Simply look at the debate between him and jg

Judy said:
Jay T your answer speaks volumes to me. Out all that I said you chose to defend the women and Not God. I only used "women" because you were talking about E White.
If I may repeat myself,

So am I to assume by your omission that you do believe God to be a liar?
I believe that God ca use ANYONE He wants to...be it man or woman.

The ONLY way to know if they have the truth, is how they relate to the commandments of God.

This is a quote from the Book: Testimonies to the church, Volume 4.......
As I read it it reminded me of a Baptist Ex-Pastor I studied with for several months.

"Brother G boasts of his independence of mind and judgment, while he is blocking up the way of sinners by his unconsecrated life and his opposition to the work in blindly warring against Christ in the persons of His servants; but he is deceived in the quality of true independence.

Independence is not obstinacy, although obstinacy is often confounded with independence.
When Brother G has formed an opinion, and expressed it in his family or in the church with considerable confidence and with some publicity, he is then inclined to make it appear that he is right by every argument he can produce.

He is in danger, great danger, of closing his eyes and violating his conscience by his persistency; for the temptation of the enemy is strong upon him.

His pride of opinion is hard to yield, even in the face of light and evidence sufficient to convince him if he would be convinced.

He thinks that if he should admit that he was wrong, it would be a reflection on his judgment and discernment. {4T 239.1}

Brother G, you are in great danger of losing your soul.
You want to have the pre-eminence. At times you feel deeply if you think you are slighted.

You are not a happy man. You will not be happy if you leave the people of God, taking offense at plain words and facts, as did many of the followers of Christ, because the truth spoken was too close.

You will not be a happy man, for you will take yourself with you. You are not right; you make trouble for yourself.

Your temperament is your enemy, and go where you will you will take yourself with your burden of unhappiness. It is an honor to confess a wrong as soon as it is discerned. {4T 239.2}

There are many matters in connection with the work of God with which you find fault, because it is natural for you to do so.

And since you have turned your face against the light God revealed to you in regard to yourself, you are fast losing your discernment and are more than ever ready to find fault with everything.

You give your opinion with dictatorial confidence and treat the queries of others in regard to your opinion as personal abuse.

True, refined independence never disdains to seek counsel of the experienced and of the wise, and it treats the counsel of others with respect.

(By E. G. White)

PS...in light of the above, I have to confess a wrong that I've said in the past......which I will soon post, probably this weekend....in Apologetics.

Jay T
Preacher another religion is against the TOS of this site.
Why are you doing it?

Back