Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

private praying aloud VS talking to yourself

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
All my life I have talked to myself when no ones around. Not because I believed someone was there. But in a weird way I felt like it helped me "think". This was a very private thing. I would not do it around anyone else. Becoming a Christian I find that Jesus was explaining doing something similar. Mathew 6:6 "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." But now when I do it I have the awareness that God is listening to me ramble. But when I was a child I had no awareness God was listening to me. I truly believed it to be a private thing. Now I know otherwise. Has it changed me any. I try not to cuss. Or talk about vane single/self topics, and more about the search for truth and Godly topics. Whats wrong with the world today and stuff like that.

Matthew 12
36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.
37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Kick_Can_emoticon.gif

I also think out loud and have caught myself doing it at work. :blush It helps me keep my thoughts in order and comprehend a little better.

I figure it is okay to talk to one's self so long as you don't have to repeat it because it wasn't heard the first time. :lol

Seriously though, whether you pray aloud or silently doesn't really matter for God listens to you're heart.

I also think out loud and have caught myself doing it at work. :blush It helps me keep my thoughts in order and comprehend a little better.

I figure it is okay to talk to one's self so long as you don't have to repeat it because it wasn't heard the first time. :lol

Seriously though, whether you pray aloud or silently doesn't really matter for God listens to you're heart.

LOL

Agreed, just don't stop talking to Him however we do it.

Yep thats exactly it. Helps me to comprehend. Thanks for backing me up on this. I hoped I wasn't the only one on here that does that.

I talk to God privately but I am an odd ball as I will talk to myself and even talk to my cats, I just accepted I was weird I do things most ppl dont Even in my faith other Christians have seen me as odd because of how I speak and when I explain the supernatural occurences I experienced with God and what I have seen
I dont fit in this world at all, I could be very easily though. Do u know how easy it is to be popular? School was a breeze for me because I knew how to fit in just cuss a lot dont give a crap what others think of u make pervert sexual remarks all the time dress like others dont show any emotional weakness and dont be a snitch make fun of others weaker than u and alway be the trouble kid and make being a bad kid cool and BAM you are popular.

I was a very bad kid and had more friends than u can count
This is what it took to be popular 5 years ago in highschool and it hasnt changed that much either

I talk to myself from a lot. It's an odd habit, but I picked it up very young. I don't see any theological implications, though, since He sees everything that goes on in my head, whether I say it or not. I no longer feel uncomfortable with that, I know He loves me in spite of my imperfections, and my faulty attempts to correct them. I also think clearer, if I run something difficult once by talking about it to myself.

Besides, I'm a rather interesting guy.

All my life I have talked to myself when no ones around. Not because I believed someone was there. But in a weird way I felt like it helped me "think". This was a very private thing. I would not do it around anyone else. Becoming a Christian I find that Jesus was explaining doing something similar. Mathew 6:6 "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." But now when I do it I have the awareness that God is listening to me ramble. But when I was a child I had no awareness God was listening to me. I truly believed it to be a private thing. Now I know otherwise. Has it changed me any. I try not to cuss. Or talk about vane single/self topics, and more about the search for truth and Godly topics. Whats wrong with the world today and stuff like that.
I talk to myself as well.It helps me focus sometimes.But I do it to myself and around others.

People have heard me talk to myself and I have heard others talk to themselves.It is no big deal.As far as praying goes you can pray out loud or pray to yourself.It does not matter God hears you either way.

I talk to myself from a lot. It's an odd habit, but I picked it up very young. I don't see any theological implications, though, since He sees everything that goes on in my head, whether I say it or not. I no longer feel uncomfortable with that, I know He loves me in spite of my imperfections, and my faulty attempts to correct them. I also think clearer, if I run something difficult once by talking about it to myself.

Yes you are. It's interesting when we think about it because as you say Yahweh knows everything that goes on inside our head anyways. I didn't pick up the habit until much older and I think that was simply insecurity.

lol

That's the thing, He hears our thoughts. I been known (not often mind you) to think something I shouldn't and immediately say out loud, Oh sorry Lord! And there's someone else in the room. :blush

lol

That's the thing, He hears our thoughts. I been known (not often mind you) to think something I shouldn't and immediately say out loud, Oh sorry Lord! And there's someone else in the room. :blush
We all do that.We are all sinners.We have angry unkind thoughts and that is why I have said that we sin everyday.We have been saved.We have a ticket to heaven.

Cool question. I've thought about this and read the scripture which speaks of our speaking idle words ad so forth and it scared me a little. I too, was pretty popular, and it was because of my mouth. :sad

but as I get older i have read other things and also considered other things (beyond putting a bridle on my tongue).

Consider this, the Lord spoke the universe and earth into existence. There is power in the spoken word. God first and foremost of course...but...maybe there is more power than we realize in our spoken words. I don't think that prayers necessarily are more powerful spoken than not, it most certainly would have a lot to do with the condition of ones heart.

But check this out. Scripture says that we are to meditate on His word day and night. i did a word study on meditate and it said to utter. Meditating on the Word is more than just thinking about it, it is speaking it aloud! There's more than realize about the spoken word. Sharper than a two edged sword, bridle your tongue, give account for your idle words...speaking is not inconsequential, it's important and perhaps worthy of deeper study.

What if we were so engrossed with the Word of God and reading it and thinking/meditating on it so much...that it became our idle words, spoken without thought here and there? That would be a good thing i think, it would have to be.

I speak to myself quite a bit. Thinking out loud, working and so forth. My mouth has always been one of my problem areas. In the last few years, and i have been working on it to tame the tongue. I am well aware of it when I pop off at the mouth and it grieves me. I ask forgiveness and *think* I understand the ramifications of a loose tongue.

Cool question. I've thought about this and read the scripture which speaks of our speaking idle words ad so forth and it scared me a little. I too, was pretty popular, and it was because of my mouth. :sad

but as I get older i have read other things and also considered other things (beyond putting a bridle on my tongue).

Consider this, the Lord spoke the universe and earth into existence. There is power in the spoken word. God first and foremost of course...but...maybe there is more power than we realize in our spoken words. I don't think that prayers necessarily are more powerful spoken than not, it most certainly would have a lot to do with the condition of ones heart.

But check this out. Scripture says that we are to meditate on His word day and night. i did a word study on meditate and it said to utter. Meditating on the Word is more than just thinking about it, it is speaking it aloud! There's more than realize about the spoken word. Sharper than a two edged sword, bridle your tongue, give account for your idle words...speaking is not inconsequential, it's important and perhaps worthy of deeper study.

What if we were so engrossed with the Word of God and reading it and thinking/meditating on it so much...that it became our idle words, spoken without thought here and there? That would be a good thing i think, it would have to be.

I speak to myself quite a bit. Thinking out loud, working and so forth. My mouth has always been one of my problem areas. In the last few years, and i have been working on it to tame the tongue. I am well aware of it when I pop off at the mouth and it grieves me. I ask forgiveness and *think* I understand the ramifications of a loose tongue.

:goodpost

I think you're onto something there !

I talk to God privately but I am an odd ball as I will talk to myself and even talk to my cats, I just accepted I was weird I do things most ppl dont Even in my faith other Christians have seen me as odd because of how I speak and when I explain the supernatural occurences I experienced with God and what I have seen
I dont fit in this world at all, I could be very easily though. Do u know how easy it is to be popular? School was a breeze for me because I knew how to fit in just cuss a lot dont give a crap what others think of u make pervert sexual remarks all the time dress like others dont show any emotional weakness and dont be a snitch make fun of others weaker than u and alway be the trouble kid and make being a bad kid cool and BAM you are popular.

I was a very bad kid and had more friends than u can count
This is what it took to be popular 5 years ago in highschool and it hasnt changed that much either

I was not popular at high school. In my younger days I was quite the class clown and got into much trouble. I was pretty isolated and to myself. And that is because of mental illness and panic attacks that steered me to be apprehensive. Later in life I realize that Satan prays upon those kinds of people. Their are satanic forums out there that will welcome a freak with warm, open arms. And further lead them off a cliff. Even to this day its hard to put all that behind me, and totally forget some of the memories I have of growing up. But following Jesus is about looking forward, not behind. No doubt, many of my former classmates thought I was a loser 20 years ago, and still think I am a loser today. But its not their opinion of me that matters. Only Gods. Much of my life I have been just dealing with life the best I can. Much of that was a very sinful lifestyle. Fortunately, God finally revealed to me the truth I had been searching for all my life. And allowed me the chance to accept Jesus, and repent of my sins.

I was not popular at high school. In my younger days I was quite the class clown and got into much trouble. I was pretty isolated and to myself. And that is because of mental illness and panic attacks that steered me to be apprehensive. Later in life I realize that Satan prays upon those kinds of people. Their are satanic forums out there that will welcome a freak with warm, open arms. And further lead them off a cliff. Even to this day its hard to put all that behind me, and totally forget some of the memories I have of growing up. But following Jesus is about looking forward, not behind. No doubt, many of my former classmates thought I was a loser 20 years ago, and still think I am a loser today. But its not their opinion of me that matters. Only Gods. Much of my life I have been just dealing with life the best I can. Much of that was a very sinful lifestyle. Fortunately, God finally revealed to me the truth I had been searching for all my life. And allowed me the chance to accept Jesus, and repent of my sins.
Ah yes I visited a satanic forum a while back so i could gain a deeper understanding of those poor ppl. as soon as I entered I was overcome with love and compassion for them i couldnt help praying for them because I had this feeling a lot of them became satinic because they just wanted acceptance. i knew that had they ever known love they would be on a different path.

Thanks brother, the way I see it is hateful words escalate drama. And doing such = answering evil for evil. By the taming of the tongue we are not allowing darkness to be in us. That what you said about being engrossed in the word of God, to the point of it becoming idle words. I know that I use to always look up to worldly heros and phrases as being words of wisdom. But now words of Jesus are replacing all those instances in my mind. So that I am learning on his words of wisdom now to help me understand and perceive life. Like right now...I'm thinking about how a good tree does not produce bad fruit, and a bad tree does not produce good fruit. Like making oneself a spiritual diode. Only allowing the good to get through. Separating the wheat and tares. Jesus said the eye is the light of the body, and if the eye is single the body will be full of light. Otherwise full of darkness. Darkness leads to sin and then death. I know many translations of single eye translate to healthy. But what if single was the right word? Because Jesus said it was better to go through life with one eye than to be cast into hell with two. Meaning to only use the "right" eye to allow light into the body and not darkness. Where the left hand path leads to darkness and death. There are many cases in scripture where the word right is associated with righteous and correct. For example when Jesus describes giving alms so the left hand doesnt know what the right is doing.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back