Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Proclamation to imprisoned spirits

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Agreed on Jesus descending into hell.
Even the Catholic Church that uses the Apostles Creed has stated that Jesus never went to hell.

I've never heard of this.
We do believe that Jesus appeared in the flesh in the O.T. (or I should say, The Son or 2nd Person of the Godhead).

Yes,,,,spirits does seem to be the fallen angels.
I also would say that it happened during the 3 days before resurrection.

Also, the proclamation makes sense...why would Jesus speak the gospel to the fallen that are already judged.

Thanks!

wondering,

My more detailed exposition is in: 1 Peter 3:19: Proclamation to spirits in prison

We've had more lovely rain today. Thank you Lord!:pray

Oz

wondering,

My more detailed exposition is in: 1 Peter 3:19: Proclamation to spirits in prison

We've had more lovely rain today. Thank you Lord!:pray

Oz
Hi Oz...
I read the link.
It's very well thought out, of course.
I wish I knew Koine Greek.
Everything you wrote makes sense and seems to be right.
I know a lot has to do with the translation....
Next time I see my theologian priest friend that reads the bible in Greek,,,I'll go over this with him....

I do think that, yes, this happened before the resurrection.
And the spirits are most likely dead persons....
Now WHY this would be necessary I don't understand,,,
but Luther was right...it's a difficult passage.

Thanks for the link.
I hope everyone here reads it.

Have the fires ended??

Jesus never went down to hell (lower parts of the earth) to preach as scripture says He went to preach to the spirits in prison. When Jesus laid in the tomb for three days his body was dead, but His spirit was very much alive.

In 1 Peter 3:19 it says Jesus being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit went and preached to the spirits in prison. The spirits in prison that Jesus went to preach to are those angels that are reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. Scripture does not say what Jesus preached to them, but some speculate that He was proclaiming to these fallen angels that Satan had no victory over His death. These angels are separate from the third Satan gathered with him as these angels bound in chains kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day, Jude 1:5-7.

Ephesians 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. 9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

He led captivity captive and gave gifts unto men means that those who were a slave to sin are now given the free gift of God's grace through Christ as being the fulfillment of the Temple sacrifices. The lower parts of the earth just means the grave being underground.

These angels that have been bound and chained in prison until the day of judgement, Jesus was making show of them openly, triumphing over them in it, Colossians 2:13-15. This means that those who come to Jesus their sin is blotted out having spoiled these angels (principalities and power) who caused men to sin and that they too will be judged and cast into the lake of fire reserved for Satan and his angels.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Jude 1:5 I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not. 6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. 7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Back