Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

PWD (person with disability(s)) thread; introduce yourself!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

evenifigoalone

Fare thee well, Felicia
2024 Supporter
If you are a PWD, feel free to introduce yourself! Even if you're not sure if your condition "counts", feel free to answer as if it definitely does. There are multiple legal definitions of disability, and some different schools of thought on the concept in general.

In the US:
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (which exists to protect disabled people from discrimination):
"An individual with a disability is defined by the ADA as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment."
For social programs, ie disability check:
"(a) The law defines disability as the inability to do any substantial gainful activity by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment which can be expected to result in death or which has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months."

I consider myself to "have a disability" (I have severe anxiety/avoidant personality disorder that affects me at work), but I personally don't claim the word "disabled" as that would seem to imply a more severe level of disability. At this time at least, I can still work and hold down a job.
I grew up with a disabled step-parent who was a bedridden and housebound paralytic, and we lived on SSI until he passed away. Taking care of him was a full time job, so my mom couldn't hold a job to support us. (And when you're on SSI, they will take it away if you have more than a certain amount of money at any given time. So that's another reason.) He was in and out of the hospital every few months. I loved my stepdad a lot, he was a great personality and was wonderful with children. Had a great sense of humor.

Now! I have some ice breaker questions for you!

1: Introduce yourself! What's your name? If you like, tell us which disability(s) you have!
2: Do you have an "invisible disability", meaning a disability that isn't obvious? How do people tend to react to your disability, and/or learning you have one?
3: Have you ever been discriminated against because of your disability?
4: Do you refer to yourself as a PWD, disabled, or differently abled, etc? And why?
5: If you use disability aids (wheelchair, cane, fidget toys, or whatever else), how do people tend to react? How do you wish they would react?
6: Do you prefer "person first" language, ie "I am someone with [disability]" as opposed to "I am [disability]?" Why?

I’m disabled. Labeled with schizophrenia. Not the worst thing ever…

I appreciate what’s left of the safety net. I hope the safety net will be expanded and improved to help more people. What I don’t like…

I’m apparently considered high functioning. My actual diagnosis is schizoaffective which is sort of a midpoint between bipolar and schizophrenia. At a practical level it generally means higher levels of functioning than those labeled with schizophrenia lower levels of functioning than those with bipolar I. So…

No hospitalizations in 15 years. One conviction on my record a serious misdemeanor. It started as a felony. I bonded out 10 years ago no arrests since.

People openly talk of appointing a conservator or guardian. My parents are well to do ish…not rich no longer middle class. Good for them and for me too…

Except mental patients should apparently exist in heavily drugged misery under constant control and periodic confinement. That’s the impression I get anyway. So…

Social programs? Awesome 😎 focusing on outpatient care and patient rights? Yes please! All this intimidation and greed? Not so much.

I’m apparently considered high functioning. My actual diagnosis is schizoaffective which is sort of a midpoint between bipolar and schizophrenia. At a practical level it generally means higher levels of functioning than those labeled with schizophrenia lower levels of functioning than those with bipolar I. So…
Yeah, my understanding is that mania can cause psychosis. It would make sense that one could be bipolar and also have schizophrenic features.

I dunno 🤷‍♂️

Initially bipolar I and schizophrenia were understood as very different problems. Then reality kicked in. That’s when the schizoaffective category was created.

What of disability rated vets ,these vary and can be PTSD or tbi? There's more possibly that I haven't heard as both have a mania or depression label .

The VA rates me with PTSD but the examiner said it is with depression.

Some of the psych drugs are used for problems in tbi. Again…at best they suppress some symptoms hopefully without bringing in a whole new set of pr.

There’s a concept…drug centered psychiatry. Instead of focusing on the labels which are often subjective the idea is to match problems to pills. It’s apparently how most shrinks did things until the disease model took hold because…you know…these are real illnesses blah blah blah.

Truth? The evidence is best for the major tranquilizers in people with problems like mine and even then the data is often low quality and there are lots of unanswered questions. Most people…

Should not deal with the mental health industry. Sad 😞

I know that in attempting to get confirmation on my AVPD diagnosis, the clinic doesn't seem terribly concerned with finalizing it since it won't change my treatment plan or medications any

I do think having a general idea of what you're dealing with specifically is a good indicator of what sort of therapy you may need

I'm going to answer my own questions since nobody else wants to lol Dang it I worked hard on these, guys! :lol

1: Introduce yourself! What's your name? If you like, tell us which disability(s) you have!
On the internet I go by Collie or Ari. I'm diagnosed with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and AVPD (avoidant personality disorder). I have other diagnoses, but these two in particular tend to be the more disabling ones for me.

2: Do you have an "invisible disability", meaning a disability that isn't obvious? How do people tend to react to your disability, and/or learning you have one?
I don't really plan on telling people I have "a disability" generally speaking, at least not in those words. I don't keep my anxiety a secret at all, though I'm not going to talk about it at work cuz management might take it wrong....

Almost got barred from a plane flight because I disclosed flight phobia.:confused Granted, the way I explained it wasn't ideal, I said I could "freak out" and apparently people don't think a panic attack where you sit there quietly trembling and crying is what "freaking out" entails. (Apparently they took it to mean that I'd be screaming and yelling and disturbing other passengers or worse.)

4: Do you refer to yourself as a PWD, disabled, or differently abled, etc? And why?
I personally don't refer to myself as "disabled" because that seems to imply a deeper level of disability, ie that my disability keeps me from working or providing for myself. (Hopefully it never gets to that point for me.) I do refer to my conditions as disabilities, because, well, they impact my life in significant ways.

5: If you use disability aids (wheelchair, cane, fidget toys, or whatever else), how do people tend to react? How do you wish they would react?
I use fidget toys for anxiety. They help keep me grounded during high anxiety, and they also help me focus during things like church sermons. I have one on hand most times at work, and some days it's practically glued to my hand. I will hold it while serving customers, scanning groceries, fiddle with it during more idle moments or talking to customers, etc. It really does help.
People ignore it almost entirely, which is what I want. I do hate the occasional times where someone is less considerate and will pick it up and look at it if I happen to set it down. Please leave my stuff alone, thanks. If you wouldn't pick up someone's cane "just to look at it", don't pick up my fidgets.

6: Do you prefer "person first" language, ie "I am someone with [disability]" as opposed to "I am [disability]?" Why?
I actually don't care much either way and will use both. I am an "anxious person", I am also "a person with anxiety".

I am labeled with schizophrenia. Long shady backstory pre conversion. And…

What to make of it? It is what it is. Do I have schizophrenia? Better questions…what is schizophrenia? Is it a permanent condition?

The diagnosis is vague and subjective at best. I’m officially diagnosed as schizoaffective which is sort of a midpoint beta bipolar I and schizophrenia. Many people with a history of severe mania have psychosis during episodes. My problem was more deep dark depression that developed psychotic features. And now…

I’ve gone from being regarded as a former junky to being regarded as a mental patient who apparently should be committed. Lol 😆

At 38 I’ve been made healthy and normal and even surprisingly intelligent. I have a high IQ estimate which begs the question how do the experts estimate such things? Who are these experts anyway? Lol 😆 because I’m thankful to be smart but the numbers…

Seem not so relevant to me now and it’s yet another reason for so called experts to regard me as a problem patient. High IQ modest comfortable law abiding lifestyle good support network and…

Ugh 😑 I’m frustrated with the whole thing. Honestly? First the voices and agitation began to subside…then the low mood and general instability…now I suppose one could say I have anxiety but a lot of it is from having lived in poverty and now dealing with labels and friction from being regarded as poor but not living in poverty…

Rambling. I don’t mean to sound like victim speak. I just get frustrated. Very very frustrated. Jesus saves…why not me? Or anyone really? My long suffering parents are amazing too.

It’s just frustrating that the mental health industry seems so focused on control. Want someone to talk to figure things out? Pay cash 💰

Schizophrenia. It’s my place in society it seems. God is Good 😊

1. Hi, my name is Edward. I have back damage from an auto accident in 2009. I broke my spine in two places and I have a lot of hardware in my back...and daily pain from it.

2. It's an invisible disability in the morning and you can see it in my posture in the afternoon. People don't react to me as if disabled because I don't carry myself to be disabled.

3. Yes! The SSA discriminated against me and stole all of my back pay that I was supposed to get. That was rude, I worked for that money.

4. No.

5. I don't use none of that stuff. I just walk slower than I used to for the most part. Praise God I can still walk on my own!

6. No, none of that. I consider myself to have entered God's rest. I make a fraction of what I used to, but I am content with it in that, I know how to live on little money and I don't have to be at work in the morning. So in the midst of poverty, I grow rich in God's Word. ;)
They wouldn't let me have SSI because they say that the amount of my SSD is too much to qualify for SSI.

Thanks for moving the focus to praise Edward . Oh and also to physical disabilities. Now that mental health awareness is all the rage people with physical disabilities seem to somehow not get as much attention.

Hi. I wasn’t criticizing you. It’s more about me getting frustrated with super rich celebrities and their mental health awareness campaigns…

Usually while promoting a movie book or alb. Ugh 😑

Thanks for specifying that man, I sometimes take things too personally. I do think it's important to "raise awareness", especially for more stigmatized stuff, but I also tend to not think that just having a mental health diagnosis automatically means you have a disability. It depends more on how much it affects your life or at least one area of your life.

Likeee, back when I was first recognized as having anxiety, it was fairly mild and while it was for sure a bother, it didn't substantially limit my day-to-day activities. Now that it's more severe and affects me in greater ways, I consider it a disability, even though I would never say I'm totally disabled in the same way my stepdad was.

All that said. It's not up to my to gatekeep the term, and only someone who lives with a condition could tell you if it's a disability for them or not.

In addition:
Yesterday was a horrid day for anxiety issues. But praise the Lord, I asked my friend group for prayer and by the time I got off my lunch break I was feeling normal again and doing my job like normal.:cross

I'm just kind of...burned on psychiatry. Orthomolecular is good times for me...but I've heard dealing with actual Orthomolecular psychiatrists is often about on level with dealing with a work a day psychiatrist. so, part of the appeal is probably the DIY aspect.

I've been taking Ashwagandha lately. "adaptogen," somewhat calming but not really sedating, thank goodness. So far, so good. I tried higher doses of a standardized extract because of some studies that showed benefits with those dosages in people with labels on the Schizophrenia-spectrum. In that study, doctors gave long term, relatively stable outpatients ashwagandha to prevent relapses that might result in hospitalizations, med changes, that kind of thing. And...

apparently, a lot of the things that matter -- anxiety, sleep, mood -- improved, although I seem to recall the study authors emphasizing again and again that this is -not- a treatment for Schizophrenia-spectrum afflictions; its an add on, and a less toxic one than what's available thru Rx. so..

yeah. I still take the standardized extract (where I shop, Jarrow brand has it at the lowest price...some other companies offer it, too, but where I shop it was over priced, coupled with unnecessary extras, etc.), but at a lower dosage than initially (I had some sedation, blah) and...

yeah. calmer, less anxiety. I'm throwing Rhodiola into the mix (also Jarrow, but lots of brands are out there...I think pricing also depends upon where one shops...NOW seems to have a good Rhodiola product...), because Rhodiola is also an "adaptogen" (could the experts come up with a better term, please?), and it tilts towards activating/mildly stimulating, so it seems to help with mood, concentration, and -doing- things (always a good thing...), all without exacerbating my tendency towards anxiety, etc.

OK. Yeah, I wasn't taking a cheap shot at you, lol. The "news" on my phone is loaded with these celebrities gong on and on about "mental health awareness" and blah blah blah...

again, it seems to happen when they're promoting something, or dealing with a court case or bad press. Hmmm...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back