Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Question about Legion and the Pigs

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Angel

Mark 5:1-13

Why did Jesus allow the demons to go into the pigs?
Did he have mercy on them?
Why would he have mercy on the enemy?

It's interesting there were 2000 pigs in the herd does this mean there were 2000 devils ? Also pigs were unclean I'm not sure who was herding them.

I think Jesus had mercy upon the possessed man by "forcing" the devils to leave him and they will be waiting final judgement. I don't see any mercy towards the devils here.

I don't think it was mercy. I think it was a time and season thing. Their time is coming soon.

What happened to the pigs? The pigs died and then where did the demons go? Were they any better off? I don't think so.

Scripture does not identify the owners of the pigs. There are two schools of thought. 1. They were owned by Gentiles, since this was and area where many Gentiles lived. 2. The owner of the pigs were Jewish, they would sell the pigs to the Gentiles. This would be frowned upon by some of the Jewish leaders.

The demons did not want Jesus to send them to the "prison" (Rev. 20:7) where demons go when Jesus casts them out. They wanted to stay in this country so that they could continue to inhabit other people. Jesus would not let that happen. The demons thought the next best thing would be the pigs, not knowing that the presence of a demon in anything would drive it mad.

So into the pigs they go, and into the sea they go, they were drowned. Now from here on, we really don't know what happens to a demon who dies. Does it cease to exist? Or do they go to Satan's prison, awaiting the lake of fire. I don't know.

First it's almost unbelievable that a legion, which is 6000 demons could posses one man at the same time. This is probably why he had the strength to break the chains that tried to bind him. With there being 2000 swine each would have been given three demons each. The word said they drowned. It also states that the swine are an unclean thing to the Jews so what more perfect thing to use to cast the demons into. There was no mercy as demons have no mercy being that of Satan's minions. The demons were destroyed (drowned) and never able to come back on anyone ever again.

First it's almost unbelievable that a legion, which is 6000 demons could posses one man at the same time. This is probably why he had the strength to break the chains that tried to bind him. With there being 2000 swine each would have been given three demons each. The word said they drowned. It also states that the swine are an unclean thing to the Jews so what more perfect thing to use to cast the demons into. There was no mercy as demons have no mercy being that of Satan's minions. The demons were destroyed (drowned) and never able to come back on anyone ever again.

That is probably right Debbie. lol I had not thought of the water cleaning the old pigs, Ha, Ha.

1) The demons asked Jesus to not cast them of the country... that word country in the Greek is not an typical word used for country as we would use it in English. It is a Greek word that is used more to indicate an expanse, a room, where one inhabits.
The demons did not want to lose their habitation, they would have been without a place to live.
2)No, Jesus knew what the pigs would do and it would be dramatic, people would take notice and talk about it. We know this because of the verses that follow that, that is exactly what happened.
The pigs were flesh, they drown. The demons are spirit, they did not die. They were left without a place to inhabit, exactly what they did not want.

Pigs=Gentiles. Time of the gentiles.
It's actually about 2000 pigs. This is about 2000 years.
Countdown from death, burial, and resurrection.

Why do demons want a place to inhabit?

Sorry Angel, I didn't see this post until just now.
I really don't know, I've never seen the answer to that in the Bible. I do know they serve satan.
We know this because of the casting out of demons and the Pharisees accusation against Jesus that He was getting the power to do that from satan.

If I were to speculate I would say, we know that they are spirit therefore they are only capable of doing a certain amount of damage. But if they control a body, as they did this man's, they can use the man to do harm at least to himself and maybe to others as well.

If I were to speculate I would say, we know that they are spirit therefore they are only capable of doing a certain amount of damage. But if they control a body, as they did this man's, they can use the man to do harm at least to himself and maybe to others as well.

Or have a body :x Ops the fathers of the Nephilim have migrated into angels thread.

Or do they go to Satan's prison, awaiting the lake of fire. I don't know.
chamber1.jpg
EC.jpg

Why do demons want a place to inhabit?

Satan is their commander and chief. Their job description is to cause mischief, damage, and injury to the souls, bodies, and minds of mankind. And, most of all, to keep a person from trusting in Jesus Christ as their Savior, thus removing them from the influence of the evil one.

They did not want Jesus to remove them (demons) from their intended roll in the destruction of man's minds. Just like you, if you have a great job that you enjoy going to every morning, and the pay is great, you don't want to get laid off, or fired. Same thing with demons.

hmm. i see!

I believe that what happened to this man is a Very rare occurrence! He was actually possessed by these demons. That is totally different than to be what I would call oppressed. I would say that be oppressed is being intensely attacked and can happen in different ways.

People shouldn't be looking for demons around every corner and in every situation of strife, disruption, disobedience, mental illness, etc. Getting carried away with that idea can be very harmful to the people involved and to the witness of the power in Jesus Christ.
People used to think a lot of things were demon possession, including epilepsy, but we know now that almost all those things can be medically explained.

Compare Mark 5:1-13, Matt 8:28-34, Luke 8:26-39

Consider that these unclean animals were sacrificed to cleanse the gentile man/men. Why not just expel the demons from the men? Because with the Holy Spirit not yet given to dwell within the man/men, it is most certain t(he)y would simply be repossessed. Luke 11:24-26, Matt 12:43-45

Mercy on the pigs? No
Mercy on the demons? No
Mercy on the demon possessed? Yes

Jesus granted the demons their desire, and still their fate became a sign to the Gentiles.
I find it most interesting how the episode foreshadows the Gospel being shared with the Gentiles; cleansing Gentiles.

Back