Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Remember the good ol' days...

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I remember waking up and watching the flintstones before school, when it was 20 degrees out, wrapped up in a blanket eating cereal. haha. or drinking broth when I was sick.

I remember waking up and watching the flintstones before school, when it was 20 degrees out, wrapped up in a blanket eating cereal. haha. or drinking broth when I was sick.

I remember watching The Flintstones after school. Also Dark Shadows, Gilligan's Island, I Dream of Jeannie, and Bugs Bunny.

I remember my brother and myself ,we are two yrs apart ,hiding in the closet in order to miss the Sunday School Bus, and my mother dragging us out just in time.Can you imagine a whole week of boring school lessons jammed down the throat and homework in the afternoon and only Saturday off. This "sweat of your brow thing" caused by Adam and Eve was bad news for cowboys and crooks with only one rest day.
Nowdays the Sunday School teacher has to lock the classroom door in case robbers steal the collection from the kids , or cars get stolen ,or even the congregation have to worry about being attacked while listening to the word of God.The Sunday School episode happend at my youngest grandsons class last Sunday ,where the Security Officials hired for protection managed to ward off the attackers.

Where were you living at the time, Tony?

Beirut?

I remember watching The Flintstones after school. Also Dark Shadows, Gilligan's Island, I Dream of Jeannie, and Bugs Bunny.

I used to watch Dennis the Menace cartoon after school, and I think Bugs Bunny came on in the morning too. Flintstones and Bugs was on I think in the morning and day. Good old 80's.

When I was a kid in the 70's on school holidays my dad would drive me and a friend or two out to wherever we wanted to go camping and fishing for a few days. We were about 12 to 13 yrs old. He would drop us off and pick us up a few days later. We had a ball fishing and catching rabbits and never had a hint of a problem from anyone. You would not dream of doing that these days.

I used to watch Dennis the Menace cartoon after school, and I think Bugs Bunny came on in the morning too. Flintstones and Bugs was on I think in the morning and day. Good old 80's.

Dave: Oh yes, 'What's up, Doc?' and the carrots... :)

Where were you living at the time, Tony?[/QUOTE]

We were living in a place called Da Gama Park Mark, and the Sunday School was in Simonstown ,in the Cape of Good Hope.

Do you remember the cartoon the Jetsons? I always thought when I was little that when I grew up there would be technology like it, and guess what? We're there! Cleaning robots, push a button and the dishwasher cleans all the dishes... etc :)

flying is a bit more skillful then driving a car. one cant fly and have certain health issues. imagine flying a car and having a heart attack.

Well I myself still eat semi raw meat on occasion. :)

Id o not understand your objections to scientific research and common sense. They are very vital in constructing a society to evolve pasts its previous primitive nature. All actions one does not are already outdated simply do to the fact that continuous research progresses and pulls down the future events of centuries to decades, years, months then weeks away from us.

I do understand your aversion to political correctness though. It is truly a horrific concept.

Id o not understand your objections to scientific research and common sense.
I don't know what the right word for it is, but I'm being funny. Scientific research and common sense have robbed us of so many good things we used to enjoy.

I'm reminded of the raw meat thing all the time. We've gotten to the point where raw meat gets handled like poison, or battery acid around our house, lol.

I do understand your aversion to political correctness though. It is truly a horrific concept.
:thumbsup

Remember the good ol' days when Native Americans were called Indians? I didn't even know what was offensive about 'Indians'.

Where do I begin?

The world had a sense of being run by responsible people.

Things had a way of running smoothly in business and in life.

Unreliability and getting ripped off were quick ways to lose customers and be put out of business or get fired from a job.

The purchasing power of the dollar was much much higher and the gap between minimum wage and buying a car a house etc. was not so ridiculously far apart.

The economy was strong most of the time... occasional setbacks but not like the whole thing was about to collapse... and people were not so easily lulled back to sleep when the nation was in such peril as it is today.

Getting a job was only a matter of looking for one. When you decided to change jobs you gave two weeks notice and went up the block to another job with little-to-no pay loss.

Slave driving in those days was only in the history books.

Jobs were much more well defined and no one was asked to do the work of two or three people for a cut in pay...

One-percenters laid low and the world was so prosperous their greed did not take away from the masses as it does today.

Mail came twice a day and was 13¢ for a letter.

Milk and diaper service came early to the door. I remember the milk boxes most had on their front porch.

Cars had gas tanks accessed through the rear license plate.

Muscle cars were affordable enough to be in teenager's garages.

$400.00 could buy a 1950's car and $600.00 a 1960's car...

The house my high school teacher father bought in 1970 was $17,000.00. The 1964 plymouth fury with push button transmission was $3,400.00 brand new.

Dad made $10,000.00 a year when he died in 1972. Had a house payment a car payment (bought a VW bus by then) a stay at home wife and four children... we were poor but had what we needed.

People could speak publicly about their faith.

life was new and fresh and the possibilities were endless.

The world was more innocent in those days... I mean the world is always evil, but in Christianized America indecency was met with swift abrupt retaliation by parents, grandparents, neighbors, police, people walking down the street. The cesspool of immorality we must swim through today was not tolerated in the least then.

Children were not exposed to adult themes as they are today.

Most people had two parent homes and divorce was nowhere near prevalent as today.

Doctors made house calls (when I was very young). Nurses wore nurses uniforms. Policemen had uniforms that you knew they were the police (with the pointed hats).

Westerns on TV were king. I Spy, Man From UNCLE, Rat Patrol... (I feel a Tim Taylor grunt session coming on) LOL.

Star Trek was on NBC Friday night.

Church was a bit dull for me in those days because no one wanted to take it to the level of commitment I did (I was an avid reader in those days about pioneers and settlers and early politicians and was enamored with the amount of faith they all had.. especially the Puritans in the Nathan Hale novel I read). Dear dad had a moral failure and we all went to church every Sunday as the parents worked it all out. I never saw a more peculiar look from him when I suggested we do what the Puritans did about the Sabbath... but I felt so blessed by our Heavenly Father at that same moment... it still makes me go into emotional vapor lock when I recall it.

Life just felt sweeter then, somehow. Uncomplicated... even under the threat of the Bomb...

I do not know if we can ever recapture the innocence we had even up to 9-11-01...

Sure we can do this that and the other with computers and devices today... but at a very very high price...

I know it was only during gas wars (when one gasoline station competed with another) but I remember gas being during those times 29¢ a gallon.

As a teen we'd search in the cushion pockets of the family sofa for change to put in the gas tank of a friend's car to "joy ride" around the local burger joint or A&W root beer and foot long hot dog joint... or go to the beach and play frisbee golf... and pit parties with Billy Beer we managed to convince the store clerk at Skaggs Albertson to sell us minors... shhhh don't tell Mom!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this really struck a nerve with me...

Playing ghosts in the graveyard (form of hide-n-seek) on summer nights when the lightning bugs lit up the place and crickets chirped their lowly early night song.

Listening to parents and grandparents talking about the good old days they had in their youth (especially when we all got together at Grandma's house for Thanksgiving).

I recall the sound of the world going to work in the mornings... the low roar of cars and trucks out on the highway the occasional horn honk and engine racing to take off at a green light. The whine of the school bus engine as we sped off to school in the morning and home in the afternoon.

The world was different, for sure. But I would not go back to that ignorant insecure gullible chump I was back then for all the tea in China. ;)

I heard that, jasoncran, but I wasn't sure if it was true or not, so I didn't mention it.
Yes, we have flying cars...when my wife does the driving.

I do not know about the flying cars or the robot house cleaners / depictions and exhibits of "the world tomorrow" predicted what life would be like today...

But I wonder how much medical and mechanical and alternative fuel progress we would have achieved had the greedy powers that be not stifled them because they could not figure out a way to make an exorbitant profit from them.

Well I myself still eat semi raw meat on occasion. :)

Id o not understand your objections to scientific research and common sense. They are very vital in constructing a society to evolve pasts its previous primitive nature. All actions one does not are already outdated simply do to the fact that continuous research progresses and pulls down the future events of centuries to decades, years, months then weeks away from us.

Shalom, BOPT.

Common sense IMHO is not always sakal, and human sciences are often one step forward two steps back...

B'H

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back