Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Repentance Vs. Eternal Security

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Repent metanoeō :

Thayer's Lexicon:

--To change one's mind,

--Used esp. of those who, conscious of their sins and with manifest tokens of sorrow, are intent on obtaining God's pardon

--To change one's mind for the better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins

--Conduct worthy of a heart change and abhorring sin

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G3340&t=KJV

Matthew 3:8 "Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:"

Acts 26:20 "But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and [then] to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance."

Luke 13:3,5 "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Can a Christian steal his neighbors horse, keep the stolen horse yet maintain his salvation?

Repent metanoeō :

Thayer's Lexicon:

--To change one's mind,

--Used esp. of those who, conscious of their sins and with manifest tokens of sorrow, are intent on obtaining God's pardon

--To change one's mind for the better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins

Acts 26:20 "But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and [then] to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance."

Luke 13:3,5 "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Can a Christian steal his neighbors horse, keep the stolen horse yet maintain his salvation?

No.

I was listening to a sermon this morning and if a person steels their neighbors ham he is to return the bone to make things right.

Repent metanoeō :

Thayer's Lexicon:

--To change one's mind,

No, the Lord will discipline us for each sin we commit. The good news is that after he has done so, he will forgive us.

Repent metanoeō :

Thayer's Lexicon:

--To change one's mind,

can a christian fall into temptation and steal a horse ? yes ..the question is do they keep the horse still remain a christian? i see a lot of no look at from this side of the fence if they kept the horse...do you think they was ever saved in the beginning ? our salvation is secure does that give excuse to do as we want? no a true Christian will hear the holy spirit and should be under deep conviction .. if they say they aint that makes them a illegitimate child.... that has no heavenly father.

can a christian fall into temptation and steal a horse ? yes ..the question is do they keep the horse still remain a christian? i see a lot of no look at from this side of the fence if they kept the horse...do you think they was ever saved in the beginning ? our salvation is secure does that give excuse to do as we want? no a true Christian will hear the holy spirit and should be under deep conviction .. if they say they aint that makes them a illegitimate child.... that has no heavenly father.

Those that believe in eternal security would have to answer 'yes' to my question even though that answer contradicts the bible, 1 Cor 6:9,10

On another forum, those that believe in faith only and eternal security had a hard time with this question. They did not like the idea of salvation depending on the work of repenting and returning the horse nor did they like the idea of one becoming lost. If I recall correctly, one poster suggested he could repent yet keep the stolen horse and still be saved but keeping the horse is not repenting.

Christian do have the capabiblity of sinning, a Christian can steal but can he maintain his salvation if he does not repent by returning the stolen merchandise?

You posted "i see a lot of no look at from this side of the fence if they kept the horse...do you think they was ever saved in the beginning?"

If this were the case, then his "being saved in the beginning" is conditional upon his repenting for if he does not repent then he never was saved.

Yet eternal security says salvation is an unconditional guarantee and that the Christian does not even have to repent but can keep the stolen horse and still maintain his salvation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those that believe in eternal security would have to answer 'yes' to my question even though that answer contradicts the bible, 1 Cor 6:9,10

On another forum, those that believe in faith only and eternal security had a hard time with this question. They did not like the idea of salvation depending on the work of repenting and returning the horse nor did they like the idea of one becoming lost. If I recall correctly, one poster suggested he could repent yet keep the stolen horse and still be saved but keeping the horse is not repenting.

Christian do have the capabiblity of sinning, a Christian can steal but can he maintain his salvation if he does not repent by returning the stolen merchandise?

You posted "i see a lot of no look at from this side of the fence if they kept the horse...do you think they was ever saved in the beginning?"

If this were the case, then his "being saved in the beginning" is conditional upon his repenting for if he does not repent then he never was saved.

Yet eternal security says salvation is an unconditional guarantee and that the Christian does not even have to repent but can keep the stolen horse and still maintain his salvation.

Hi,

How can eternal salvation mean that a Christian can maintain his salvation if he does not have to repent and keep the stolen horse?

Hi,

How can eternal salvation mean that a Christian can maintain his salvation if he does not have to repent and keep the stolen horse?

Hey,

Eternal security teaches a Christian can steal and not repent yet maintain salvation for according to eternal security salvation is an unconditional guarantee, one cannot lose salvation no matter what. Yet not repenting and keeping a stolen horse makes one a thief and thieves do not inherit the kingdom of God, 1 Cor 6:9-11

So how are the eternal securists going to be able to keep one saved and yet be a thief at the same time?

If one has to repent and do the work of returning the horse, that work of repentance makes salvation conditional.

Hey,

Eternal security teaches a Christian can steal and not repent yet maintain salvation for according to eternal security salvation is an unconditional guarantee, one cannot lose salvation no matter what. Yet not repenting and keeping a stolen horse makes one a thief and thieves do not inherit the kingdom of God, 1 Cor 6:9-11

So how are the eternal securists going to be able to keep one saved and yet be a thief at the same time?

If one has to repent and do the work of returning the horse, that work of repentance makes salvation conditional.

So, there is an unconditional guarantee one cannot lose salvation except if they sin and do not repent? And our salvation is conditional upon repentance...

Repent metanoeō :

Thayer's Lexicon:

--To change one's mind,

I disagree with you. Yes if he is a true child of God he would not lose his salvation.

Repent metanoeō :

Thayer's Lexicon:

--To change one's mind,

If any man is in Christ, he is a new creature. Old things have passed away. Behold! The new has come.... A new creature in Christ will not go to Hell. There will be no Born-Again people in Hell. Some embarrassed folks in Heaven.

But thieves will not inherit the kingdom of God, 1 Cor 6:9-11

To steal once verses a habit of stealing are two different things. This example is no different than committing adultery. If you take a glance at a wife of another man and lust after her and then have a heart attack which leads to your death, will you go to Hell? No. A lifestyle of adultery, Yes ... Pick any "sin". It is not a sin that sends people to Hell. We already started with a sin nature. It is not having a restored relationship with Jesus.

I think this is where my Arminian friends miss it. As mentioned before, true believers are new creatures in Christ... Not a sinner with a Christian mask on ...

On another forum, those that believe in faith only and eternal security had a hard time with this question. They did not like the idea of salvation depending on the work of repenting and returning the horse nor did they like the idea of one becoming lost. If I recall correctly, one poster suggested he could repent yet keep the stolen horse and still be saved but keeping the horse is not repenting. please over look how i posted..as it did not turn out in the righ words {"i see a lot of {THIS}[ now] look at from this side of the fence if they kept the horse...do you think they was ever saved in the beginning?"}

that the Christian does not even have to repent
WRONG ** THEY DO HAVE TO REPENT eternal security is not the ability to say o well if i sin and do not repent ..i will still make it to heaven.. true eternal security is placing your faith in Christ Knowing he is the author and finisher along with knowing he is able to keep one from falling..... it is not a license to sin... let me show you the rest of your scripture....... 1 And{ such were some of you:} but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. living in total sin is not the new creation in Christ.. facts are you can be secure in Christ 2. you can have a know so salvation. 3. you can go to bed at night saved and still be saved the next morning....:readbible:thumbsup:amen

Last edited by a moderator:
To steal once verses a habit of stealing are two different things. This example is no different than committing adultery. If you take a glance at a wife of another man and lust after her and then have a heart attack which leads to your death, will you go to Hell? No. A lifestyle of adultery, Yes ... Pick any "sin". It is not a sin that sends people to Hell. We already started with a sin nature. It is not having a restored relationship with Jesus.

I think this is where my Arminian friends miss it. As mentioned before, true believers are new creatures in Christ... Not a sinner with a Christian mask on ...
:amen

{I think this is where my Arminian friends miss it.} i just consider my self forgiven .. i guess for a label i lean toward Arminian ..but i have not missed any thing...you can see in repy to e.bass

Back