Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Roman Catholic Teachings Contradict the Bible

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
S

Solo

Roman Catholic Church Teachings Contradict the Bible

How can I make this statement? I was a Catholic for most of my life. However, after studying the Bible I have found much evidence in scripture that go against the teachings and doctrine of the Catholic Church. Check the evidence for yourself.
  • Mark 7:7-9 And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.' "For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men-the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do." He said to them, "All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition.
Eleven Catholic Teachings Which Differ From The Bible
  • 1) Saved by Faith and Works

Catholic teaching: The sacraments are necessary for salvation. Catholic teachings state that the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, Communion, Penance, Matrimony and the Anointing the Sick are needed to go to heaven.

Catholic teaching: Doing good deeds throughout your life will save you from hell.

Bible: Salvation is a gift of grace from God. Being good, doing good works, or fulfilling the sacraments will not save you from eternity in hell. Only by faith will you be saved. Follow the Bible which is God's Word and not the teachings of man. Good works come after you are saved as a showing of Christ's love in us.

Comment: If you are Catholic and believe that Jesus died for your sins and was raised from the dead you are saved even if you perform the Catholic sacraments. However, if you believe the sacraments or your good life are going to get you to heaven you are sadly mistaken.[list:94054]
    Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Romans 3:27-28 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.
[/*:m:94054]
[*]2) Infant Baptism Gets You To Heaven

Catholic teaching: Baptism consists of the pouring of water on the head.

Bible: In the New Testament, Baptism consisted of immersion under the water which is symbolic of burial with Christ.

• Matthew 3:5-6, Matthew 13-16 Then Jerusalem, all Judea, and all the region around the Jordan went out to him and were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins. Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him. And John tried to prevent Him, saying, "I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?" But Jesus answered and said to him, "Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he allowed Him. When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him.

Romans 6:4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Catholic teaching: Baptism of Infants

Bible: You must be saved before you can be baptized. An infant cannot make that choice.

• Acts 8:36-38 Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, "See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?" Then Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.
Catholic teaching: Baptism can save your soul.

Bible: Only by believing and confessing in Jesus can you be saved.

• Romans 10:9-10 "That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

Romans 10:13 "For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."
[*]3) Mary Worship - Idolatry and False Teachings

Catholic teaching: Mary is a mediator between man and God

Bible: Jesus is the only mediator between us and God

• 1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus
Catholic teaching: Mary was ever virgin and had no other children.

Bible: Jesus had brothers and sisters. Joseph knew Mary intimately after Jesus was born.

• Matthew 13:55-56 "Is this not the carpenter's son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses, Simon, and Judas? "And His sisters, are they not all with us? Where then did this Man get all these things?"

Mark 6:3 "Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?" And they were offended at Him.

Matthew 1:24-25 Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife, and did not know her till she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name Jesus.
Catholic teaching: Assumption of Mary's body into heaven. In 1950, Pope Pius XII declared that Mary was taken up into heaven before her death in anticipation of the resurrection of other Christians.

Bible: There is no mention of Mary's body rising into heaven after her death in the Bible or other writings of the early church.

Catholic teaching: Adoration and Worship of Mary. The Catholic Church states that the Blessed Virgin is an intrinsic part of Christian worship.

Bible: The Bible does not mention that Mary should be worshiped.

• Luke 11: 27-28 And it happened, as He spoke these things, that a certain woman from the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, "Blessed is the womb that bore You, and the breasts which nursed You!"But He said, "More than that, blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it!"
[*]4) Worship of Statues and Images (Saints and Mary)

Catholic: Enter many Catholic churches and you will find statues of Mary and the saints on the altar. Often the statue of Mary will be larger than Christ's and will be at the center of the altar.

Bible: Images of the Saints and Mary or of anything in heaven should not be made or worshiped.

Comment: Most Catholics do not worship Mary or the saints. They pray to them to intervene on their behalf with God assuming that they are in heaven. Many of the saints that are prayed to may not even be in heaven as the backgrounds of many Catholic-made saints are suspect. They must have been born again. Only God knows if someone is born again.

There is only one mediator between man and God. Only God should be prayed to.

• 1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus

Exodus 20:4-5 "You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,

Romans 1:22-23 Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man -and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.
[*]5) Missing Ten Commandment

Catholic teaching: The 2nd commandment is removed while the 10th commandment is split into two parts in order to keep the number of commandments at ten.

Comment: This was done to eliminate the restriction on worship of statues and icons of the saints, angels and Mary.[/*:m:94054][/list:u:94054]

10commandments2.gif

• 6) Rosary

Catholic teaching: Praying the Rosary expresses devotion to the Virgin Mary

Bible: Only the heathen (which are non-Christians) say the same prayer over and over. By saying the rosary you are also asking her to pray for you. You should be praying to Christ or God.[list:94054]
    1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus

Matthew 6:7 "And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.
[*]7) The Popes

Catholic teaching: The apostle Peter was the first pope who then transferred his authority to Linus according to Irenaeus.

History: The bishop of Rome did not receive the title of Pope until the 500's. Many of the early bishops prior to this time were called Pope or pappas in Greek which means father.

Catholic teaching: The apostle Peter, who is claimed to be the first Pope, was not married.

Bible: Peter, also known as Cephas, had a wife.

• Matthew 8:14 Now when Jesus had come into Peter's house, He saw his wife's mother lying sick with a fever.

1 Corinthians 9:5 Do we have no right to take along a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas?
Catholic teaching: The Pope is the head of the Catholic church

History: No single head of the Christian church is found in the New Testament. In the early church there was no clear distinction between clergy and laity. Each local area was headed by a local bishop or elder according to Paul and the writings of Ignateus. In the 200's the bishop of each Roman provincial capital gradually acquired authority over the other local churches. In 325 the Council of Nicaea gave primacy to the bishops of Antioch, Alexandria and Rome. The universal primacy of the Pope began with Pope Siricius in the late 300's.

Catholic teaching: The Pope is infallible. This means that the Pope is incapable of error in matters of faith and morals.

Bible: The Pope is only a man. The apostle Peter (claimed to be the first Pope) could make mistakes as he did concerning eating with Gentiles prior to being corrected by Paul.

• Galatians 2:11-14 Now when Peter had come to Antioch, I withstood him to his face, because he was to be blamed; for before certain men came from James, he would eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing those who were of the circumcision. And the rest of the Jews also played the hypocrite with him, so that even Barnabas was carried away with their hypocrisy. But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews?
Catholic teaching: Adoration of the Pope

Bible: The Pope is a human man and with the same temptations and problems as we. Peter did not allow others to bow before him why should the pope.

• Acts 10:25-26 As Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. But Peter lifted him up, saying, "Stand up; I myself am also a man."
[*]8) Celibacy and Priests

Catholic teaching: Priests are required to be celibate (forbidden to marry).

Bible: The Spirit calls forbidding to marry a doctrine of demons.

• 1 Timothy 4:1-4 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving;
Catholic teaching: Bishops are forbidden to marry.

Bible: In the New Testament bishops and church elders have wives and children.

• Titus 1:5-7 For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you- if a man is blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of dissipation or insubordination. For a bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money,

1 Timothy 3:2-4 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence

1 Corinthians 9:5 Do we have no right to take along a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas?
[*]9) Purgatory

Catholic teaching: Purgatory is the final purification or punishment of the elect after death, for all who died in God's grace but are impure, so that they might achieve the holiness to enter heaven.

Bible: No mention of a final purification or purgatory after death.

• Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment
Bible: At death you go to heaven or to hell, there is no middle ground.

• Luke 16:25-31 "But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.' "Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house,'for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.' "Abraham said to him, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.' "And he said, 'No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.' "But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.' "
Bible: No second chance purification.

• Romans 2:5-11 But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, who "will render to each one according to his deeds": eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness-indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek; but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For there is no partiality with God.
Bible: If you believe in Christ you are saved after you die.

• Hebrews 10:10 By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Comment: The doctrine of Purgatory teaches that Christ's atonement for our sins on the cross was not sufficient for our salvation.

[*]10) Communion

Catholic teaching: Drinking of the Wine by the Priest only for over the last 1500 years.

Comment: The Last Supper is meant for all believers. Until the last Vatican Council only the priest could drink the wine. In some parts of the world this is still true.

• 1 Corinthians 11:23-27 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me." In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes. Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
Catholic ritual: The Communion wafer is a circular disc.

Bible/History: The bread eaten at the Last Supper was the normal unleavened bread used during Passover. In the early church the Last Supper was held at a normal meal held on Sunday afternoon with normal bread. The Communion disc is circular like the Egyptian round bread that symbolized the sun and was absorbed into the Catholic church after the time of the Emperor Constantine.

Comment: An e-mail was sent to me stating "who cares what type of communion host we use." The only objection I have to the circular host is that it was an object included in pagan worship that was absorbed into Catholic ritual. . If you use other types of bread or grape juice, that is your option. I just feel that God would have an objection to including a pagan object as representing the body of his Son.

[*]11) Abstaining from Meat on Fridays

Catholic teaching: No meat is to be eaten on Fridays especially during Lent.

Bible: Abstaining from foods is the doctrine of demons.

• 1 Timothy 4:1-3 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.
[/*:m:94054][/list:u:94054]

Not Convinced? Then please
  • 1) Read the Bible - The scriptures say that when anyone reads the Bible they will understand it. If you continue to read with an open mind you will eventually see the many contradictions between the teachings of the Catholic church and the Bible.[list:94054]
    Ephesians 3:4 By which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ,

Romans 15:4 For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.
[*]2) Trust the Word of God when tradition states otherwise
Many false doctrines and pagan traditions have crept into the Catholic church since it became the official religion of the Roman empire in the 300's AD.
[*]3) Works, sacraments, and good deeds will not get you to heaven.
....Only by accepting Jesus Christ as your savior will you be saved.

May God Bless You

This is an excerpt from an address given by the Cardinals to Pope Pius III, and is preserved in the National Library of Paris, Folio No. 1068, Vol. 2, pp. 650 651:

• "Of all the advice that we can offer your holiness we must open your eyes well and use all possible force in the matter, namely to permit the reading of the gospel as little as possible in all the countries under your jurisdiction. Let the very little part of the gospel suffice which is usually read in mass, and let no one be permitted to read more. So long as people will be content with the small amount, your interest will prosper; but as soon as the people want to read more, your interest will fail. The Bible is a book, which more than any other, has raised against us the tumults and tempests by which we have almost perished. In fact, if one compares the teaching of the Bible with what takes place in our churches, he will soon find discord, and will realize that our teachings are often different from the Bible, and oftener still, contrary to it."
[/*:m:94054][/list:u:94054]

Retrieved from http://home.elp.rr.com/endtimeprophecy/catholic.htm

Solo said:
Roman Catholic Church Teachings Contradict the Bible

How can I make this statement? I was a Catholic for most of my life. However, after studying the Bible I have found much evidence in scripture that go against the teachings and doctrine of the Catholic Church. Check the evidence for yourself.

If I had a dollar for every Protestant evangelist who makes that claim, while knowing very little about Catholicism, I'd be rich... Nothing like beginning a skree with an argument from authority... The argument basically says: "I was a Catholic, so I am an authority on what they teach". Unfortunately, and I regret saying this, but MOST Catholics have a 3rd grade theological education. Thus, I take any such "I was a Catholic" with a grain of salt, especially when it begins with "I read the bible"

Let's check the evidence...

Solo said:
Catholic teaching: The sacraments are necessary for salvation. Catholic teachings state that the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, Communion, Penance, Matrimony and the Anointing the Sick are needed to go to heaven.

WRONG!!! Where EXACTLY does the Catechism say that one must receive the sacraments of Marriage? Ever hear of Catholic priests? The Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick? So one must be old to be saved??? Confirmation? Even the rest of the Sacraments, the Church doesn't say that God CANNOT save whom He will. The Church ITSELF taught that in 400 AD! How ELSE would we say that the Old Testament prophets are in heaven? Does God condemn the entire Western Hemisphere before Catholic missionaries arrive in the 1500's? busted.

Solo said:
Catholic teaching: Doing good deeds throughout your life will save you from hell.

WRONG!!! The Catholic Church has declared such a though heresy at the Council of Orange in the 500's... You can do all the good deeds you want, but without love, you are nothing. Consider reading 1 Cor 13. The Church absolutely does not teach we are saved by works. This is a prime example why I am saddened by these "Catholics". If they only would have known their faith, they might never have left. There is NOTHING a man can do to earn salvation, and that includes generating faith! All is a gift from God, whether it is faith or love. busted.

Solo said:
2) Infant Baptism Gets You To Heaven

Where exactly does the Church teach that? The Church doesn't even teach that REGULAR Baptism guarantees one is going to heaven, so how can INFANT Baptism make a difference? Busted...

3) Mary Worship - Idolatry and False Teachings

Catholics are not taught to worship Mary, only God. The problem with Protestants is that they cannot distinguish between veneration and worship. Thus, when they see a person kneeling before a statue, they think that is an act of worship. This is not necessarily so. There is NO act that is strictly an act of worship EXCEPT Sacrifice. And Sacrifice is offered ONLY TO GOD - the Mass is an act of Sacrifice offered to God the Father, not Mary. Anything else we do, whether it is asking favors, kneeling in front of, writing poems about, having a person's picture, NONE of it is ONLY worship. All these things can be done to a person, as well. BUSTED

Solo said:
4) Worship of Statues and Images (Saints and Mary)

Nonsense. Are we to toss all the pictures of our children into the trash because God is jealous of them? Ridiculous. We are taught that we love God by LOVING OUR NEIGHBOR! That is one of the unique things of Christianity. The two CANNOT be separated. Thus, loving God's greatest creations is an honor that is given to God. No one believes that a statue is actually God, nor do we believe that the specific saint is God, either.
Busted

Solo said:
5) Missing Ten Commandment

This is the most ridiculous accusation ever made by a "Catholic"...Consider reading Exodus and Deuteronomy and note the differences. The Catholic "version" and the Protestant "version" of the Decalogue are merely the two different readings.

Solo said:
6) Rosary

Bible: Only the heathen (which are non-Christians) say the same prayer over and over.

And what about the four angels in heaven who praise God with the "same prayer" - "HOLY HOLY HOLY" FOREVER??? Christ's command was to not give VAIN prayer, not repetitive prayer. And this person studied the Bible? Busted

Solo said:
7) The Popes
Catholic teaching: The apostle Peter was the first pope who then transferred his authority to Linus according to Irenaeus.

History: The bishop of Rome did not receive the title of Pope until the 500's. Many of the early bishops prior to this time were called Pope or pappas in Greek which means father.

First of all, the title of Pope was first given to the Bishop of Rome in the 300's, not the 500's. But this certainly does not refute the concept of a point of unity of the visible Church. Scripture clearly notes that Peter was that head, the man told to "feed MY sheep" by the Lord. HE ALONE was called the Rock, Cephas. He holds primacy in any way you want to consider regarding the Apostles. busted

Solo said:
Catholic teaching:[/b] The apostle Peter, who is claimed to be the first Pope, was not married.

Catholics don't teach that Peter was unmarried. Scriptures says that teh Lord healed Peter's mother in law. Busted.

Solo said:
History: No single head of the Christian church is found in the New Testament. In the early church there was no clear distinction between clergy and laity. Each local area was headed by a local bishop or elder according to Paul and the writings of Ignateus. In the 200's the bishop of each Roman provincial capital gradually acquired authority over the other local churches. In 325 the Council of Nicaea gave primacy to the bishops of Antioch, Alexandria and Rome. The universal primacy of the Pope began with Pope Siricius in the late 300's.

Ah, now he contradicts himself. First, he tells us there was no pope until the 500's, and now, he corrects himself, as I noted above...

Solo said:
Catholic teaching: The Pope is infallible. This means that the Pope is incapable of error in matters of faith and morals.

Bible: The Pope is only a man. The apostle Peter (claimed to be the first Pope) could make mistakes as he did concerning eating with Gentiles prior to being corrected by Paul.

First, Paul is correcting an action of Peter, an action of bad behavior, not incorrect teaching. Peter HIMSELF was the first to suggest that the Gentile was to be brought into the Church, not Paul. HE was the one through whom God appeared to reveal this to the Church, not Paul. Yes, the Pope is a man - one guided by God Himself. Not only in this example, but see the first precedent in Mat 16. It is GOD HIMSELF who reveals hidden knowledge to Peter. Secondly, the apostles in union with the Peter was given the power to bind and loosen - and that heaven itself would verify the decision. Do you think heaven is infallible or not? Busted

Solo said:
8) Celibacy and Priests

Catholic teaching: Priests are required to be celibate (forbidden to marry).

NO ONE is forced to be a priest. Celibacy is a changeable tradition of the Latin Church, following the example of Christ. The priest, like Christ, is "married" to the Church. To show that it is not absolute, consider all the Protestant ministers who convert to Catholicism and are given Papal dispensations. Thus, the rule is one of discipline, not dogma. Busted

Solo said:
9) Purgatory
Catholic teaching: Purgatory is the final purification or punishment of the elect after death, for all who died in God's grace but are impure, so that they might achieve the holiness to enter heaven.

Bible: No mention of a final purification or purgatory after death.

A very long list was already given. Begin with 2 Maccabees 12, written about 100 years before Christ, clearly tells us that the Jews understood and believed in a third state of existence after death of the body. Paul believes this as well, when he talks about the "baptism of the dead". He does not condemn the practice, which makes no sense if there is ONLY heaven and hell. This is just one of the many examples already discussed. Busted

Solo said:
10) Communion

Catholic teaching: Drinking of the Wine by the Priest only for over the last 1500 years.

Again, another discipline. The Church has the power to bind and loosen, and this certainly is not a matter of dogma. It is a rule of the Church. The entire Christ is present in the host. One is not required to take the cup to receive Christ in His entirety. Busted

Solo said:
11) Abstaining from Meat on Fridays

Catholic teaching: No meat is to be eaten on Fridays especially during Lent.

This is a form of fasting. When is fasting considered a doctrine of demons? The Scripture is refering to abstaining ALWAYS from particular foods, as in the Old Testament. Paul is refering to Judaizers who claim one must CONTINUE to abstain ALWAYS from "unclean" animals. God revealed to the Church through Peter that all foods were clean. The Catholic practice of abstaining on Friday from meat is a form of fasting that is meant to develop our spirituality. Sort of like running develops our physical body. How are you going to ward off temptations if you can't even refrain from eating meat one day a week? And finally, this is a discipline, not a doctrine, as the Church allows one to eat meat on Fridays except Lent. In the past, ALL Fridays were meatless in Catholic houses. Busted

Not convinced? You want Catholic beliefs from Scriptures?

Go to http://scripturecatholic.com/. You can find all the Scripture and Church Father verses on nearly any subject. The problem is not that the Catholic doctrines are not found in the Bible. The problem is that many people do not know what the Church teaches, although it puts out a book called the "Catechism" that describes all of its teachings. Perhaps if these "Catholics" would have read the book BEFORE leaving the faith (if they were ever Catholic), then must misunderstanding would be cleared away.

Regards

I wish I had a dollar for every post on this board attacking Catholics. I would be one rich lady. :roll:

ChristineES said:
I wish I had a dollar for every post on this board attacking Catholics. I would be one rich lady. :roll:

:tongue

You said it, sister. I guess some people got nothing better to do but regurgitate the same filth over and over again. If you trace back their sources, they usually come from the same place, like Boettner or Jack Chick or someone like that... You know, those loving Christians... :roll:

Regards

ChristineES said:

:tongue

You said it, sister. I guess some people got nothing better to do but regurgitate the same filth over and over again. If you trace back their sources, they usually come from the same place, like Boettner or Jack Chick or someone like that... You know, those loving Christians... :roll:

Regards

/

at francisdesales

*clap clap* :-D

gota love 'busted' (not the band)

/

at francisdesales

*clap clap* :-D

gota love 'busted' (not the band)

I'm not going to waste time here with this as it just goes on, and on, and on. However...

Solo wrote:

4) Worship of Statues and Images (Saints and Mary)

Nonsense. Are we to toss all the pictures of our children into the trash because God is jealous of them? Ridiculous. We are taught that we love God by LOVING OUR NEIGHBOR! That is one of the unique things of Christianity. The two CANNOT be separated. Thus, loving God's greatest creations is an honor that is given to God. No one believes that a statue is actually God, nor do we believe that the specific saint is God, either.
Busted

Exodus 20:4-5 (KJV) Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

"They shall be ashamed, and also confounded, all of them: they shall go to confusion together that are makers of idols." -Isaiah 45:16

It says not to even BOW down to an image. I've seen this countless times before Mary and before the eucharist whether in a church or in a funeral procession.

DECADE PRAYER - (prayer for priests): God, our Father, please send us holy priests, all for the sacred and Eucharistic heart of Jesus, all for the sorrowful and immaculate heart of Mary, in union with saint Joseph. Amen.

THE SALVE REGINA (Hail Holy Queen): Hail Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our life our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us and after this our exile show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary!
V- Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God
R- That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

This is pure, unadulterated repetitious and Mary worship. BUSTED

Solo wrote:

5) Missing Ten Commandment

This is the most ridiculous accusation ever made by a "Catholic"...Consider reading Exodus and Deuteronomy and note the differences. The Catholic "version" and the Protestant "version" of the Decalogue are merely the two different readings.

The bible doesn't leave out (as yours does) the commandment about bowing to images. And, it doesn't split the tenth to make up for leaving out the 2nd one. Why have TWO commandments involving coveting? Ridiculous. BUSTED

Second Commandment(Your bible)

You shall not take the name of the LORD, your God, in vain.

Second Commandment(the REAL Word of God)

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them.

Ninth Commandment(YOUR BIBLE)

You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.

Tenth Commandment(YOUR BIBLE_

You shall not covet your neighbor's house.

Tenth Commandment(THE real BIBLE)

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Why split the tenth into two parts? To make up for eliminating the second, that's why.

Solo wrote:

6) Rosary

Bible: Only the heathen (which are non-Christians) say the same prayer over and over.

And what about the four angels in heaven who praise God with the "same prayer" - "HOLY HOLY HOLY" FOREVER??? Christ's command was to not give VAIN prayer, not repetitive prayer. And this person studied the Bible? Busted

Another ploy to twist words. I don't think the angels did ten decades of Holy, Holy, Holy. You know very well what Solo is talking about and are avoid the issue becuase the Rosary is very repetitious....BUSTED

Mary, Queen of Heaven...

we pray to thee

Mary, Queen of all saints...

we pray to thee

Mary, Queen of angels...

we pray to thee

Mary, Queen of the Rosary...

we pray to thee

Mary, Queen of the Church...

we pray to thee

and so on...

Matthew 6:7 (KJV) But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Well, like I said-a waste of time to attempt to open eyes as whatever is written is always refuted and challenged via Catholic literature, citations from a Catholic book (Apocrypha) or something on the newadvent site. That's getting worse than Jack Chick! Well did the Scriptures speak of those that are blind...

2 Thessalonians 2:10-12 (KJV) And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

2 Timothy 3:13 (KJV) But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

ChristineES said:
No one is attacking Roman Catholics. The rebuke, correction, and reproof of the Roman Catholic teachings that are leading people into the pit of hell is what is being proclaimed. Only those who prefer Roman Catholic dogma over the truth of the scriptures are offended.

D46 said:

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Why split the tenth into two parts? To make up for eliminating the second, that's why.

I have to go soon and teach people who want to be Catholic soon, so I don't have time to respond to everything. However, to all the women out there, perhaps you will appreciate this explanation...

The "Protestant" version of the Decalogue keeps coveting as one commandment. Both things and women are considered an object to be coveted. In the "Catholic" version, we recognize that women are people, and are NOT things. Thus, we separate them into two different commandments. The first is coveting a person, the next is coveting things. Is that a problem, that Catholics consider women people??? Or should we revert to 3000 years ago when women were considered property??? Or do some Protestants still treat their women as property? I don't know... Maybe a Protestant lady can give me some insight on this.

Regards

D46 said:

I have to go soon and teach people who want to be Catholic soon, so I don't have time to respond to everything. However, to all the women out there, perhaps you will appreciate this explanation...

The "Protestant" version of the Decalogue keeps coveting as one commandment. Both things and women are considered an object to be coveted. In the "Catholic" version, we recognize that women are people, and are NOT things. Thus, we separate them into two different commandments. The first is coveting a person, the next is coveting things. Is that a problem, that Catholics consider women people??? Or should we revert to 3000 years ago when women were considered property??? Or do some Protestants still treat their women as property? I don't know... Maybe a Protestant lady can give me some insight on this.

Regards

francisdesales said:
I have to go soon and teach people who want to be Catholic soon ...
This comment reminded me of this verse of scripture.

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
Matthew 23:15

You really ought to teach them how to become children of God by being born from above by having faith in Jesus Christ instead of teaching them Roman Catholic false teachings.

If that's not a cop out I don't know what is. Shirking the issue by eliminating the most damning commandment of God not to bow down before idols by the RCC deleting the second Commandment so no one will suspect that the RCC doesn't have ten commandments as given Moses by God. Why length will you go to next to refute the word of God to uphold Catholic teaching and rewrites of history and the bible! Unbelievable.

From the Catechism...

"2132 The Christian veneration of images is not contrary to the first commandment which proscribes idols. Indeed, "the honor rendered to an image passes to its prototype," and "whoever venerates an image venerates the person portrayed in it."[70] The honor paid to sacred images is a "respectful veneration," not the adoration due to God alone: "

First of all, not bowing to a graven image is the 2nd command, not the first. The evil men who wrote the Catholic Catechism deceitfully split the 10th commandment into two to make up for the missing 2nd commandment. Why are there two commandments telling us not to covet? Seems kind of strange don't you think? It's obvious what the devil has done here. You can't just eradicate the 2nd commandment!

Secondly, the quoted passage from the Catechism above is blasphemy. God clearly warns us in Exodus 20:4-5 NOT to make unto ourselves ANY graven images. The brazen serpent was God's idea, not Moses. God never told us ANYWHERE in the Word of God to make a statue of anyone or anything. The Israelites were instructed to "look" to the serpent (which pictured Christ) and live. The people were NOT instructed to bow, honor, or pray to a statue. The Catholics can devilishly call their idolatry "Respectful Veneration" if they want to, but it's a direct violation of the 2nd Commandment (which you don't have in Catholicism).

Exodus 20:4,5 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God...

Solo said:
No one is attacking Roman Catholics. The rebuke, correction, and reproof of the Roman Catholic teachings that are leading people into the pit of hell is what is being proclaimed. Only those who prefer Roman Catholic dogma over the truth of the scriptures are offended.

Sometimes a person needs to replace the other person's name with his own when saying things. In other words, you should put protestant in the place of Catholic. "Protestants teachings contradict the Bible" If you would not like to hear it said of you, then it is a safe bet that it is not the right thing to say to someone else. :)

And I am not even a Catholic .

P. S. When I was a child, I always heard this statement "If you can't find anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. :wink:

Oh, and by the way; How would you know who is going to hell? I thought only God knew that. :-D

Solo said:
You really ought to teach them how to become children of God by being born from above by having faith in Jesus Christ instead of teaching them Roman Catholic false teachings.

Sorry, sonny, I'm not going to nibble on your bait. God's Spirit is telling me you are a troubled soul. I'll keep you in my prayers...

Regards

D46 said:
If that's not a cop out I don't know what is. Shirking the issue by eliminating the most damning commandment of God not to bow down before idols by the RCC deleting the second Commandment so no one will suspect that the RCC doesn't have ten commandments as given Moses by God. Why length will you go to next to refute the word of God to uphold Catholic teaching and rewrites of history and the bible! Unbelievable.

It sounds like you are upset that I noted that you have a problem with the female gender and like to keep them in check as if they were property. Both Exodus and Deuteronomy are books from Sacred Scripture, last time I checked. WE emphasize the fact that women are not property and you get upset? Are you upset that Protestant women might figure out that they do not want to accept your subservient role that you have planned for them? Again, I would be interested in hearing how Protestant ladies feel about this teaching...

Regards

D46 said:
God clearly warns us in Exodus 20:4-5 NOT to make unto ourselves ANY graven images. The brazen serpent was God's idea, not Moses. God never told us ANYWHERE in the Word of God to make a statue of anyone or anything. The Israelites were instructed to "look" to the serpent (which pictured Christ) and live. The people were NOT instructed to bow, honor, or pray to a statue. The Catholics can devilishly call their idolatry "Respectful Veneration" if they want to, but it's a direct violation of the 2nd Commandment (which you don't have in Catholicism).

This is the second time in a few days that I have noted that you have a problem with what God did in the Old Testament. In particular, God HIMSELF TOLD MOSES to build an Ark. Do you remember what was on the Ark? Do you remember the figures molded in gold? Must I remind you? And what about Solomon's Temple? Again, have you so soon forgotten that the Scriptures show God TELLING SOLOMON to build the Temple in the manner that he did? It is obvious that God doesn't mean building statues is wrong - but worshipping anything that is not God is idolatry.

Regards

ChristineES said:
Oh, and by the way; How would you know who is going to hell? I thought only God knew that. :-D

If you follow the way Solo presents his opinions, you'd think he was the mouthpiece of God - so be careful!

Seriously, though, he is no different than any other person who is zealous --and zealously wrong. Unfortunately, such people have a tendency to condemn those who do not follow their teachings... We seem to have a lot of such zealous people in the world today. The love of God is not within such people.

As Christians, all we can do is pray for such people.

Regards

Back