Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Sabbath Day or Sunday

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

mharold

I guess I was in the wrong forum... I know you suppose to worship GOD everyday but what day is mandatory that we worship. I know about the 7 different sabbath day and the sabbath year in Leviticus 23. And I believe that the law of Mose which he wrote with his hand wasn't nail to the cross not the 10 commandments. And the 4 commandment is Remember the sabbath day..So basically I wanna know why we go to church on Sunday. When we walking in the footstep of Jesus and he keep the sabbath day.

Paul told the Corinthians that the "Ten Commandments" ( that which was written and engraven in stone) had "passed away". He also described them as now being a "ministration of death".

2 Cor. 3:7-11
7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

Let me just say that I believe that the "10 commandments " do not have any power over us today, however in saying that I also believe that you can find every one of the 10 commandments in the N.T. for us to follow today except for 1, "Remember the Sabbath".

Paul told the Corinthians that the "Ten Commandments" ( that which was written and engraven in stone) had "passed away". He also described them as now being a "ministration of death".

7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

Let me just say that I believe that the "10 commandments " do not have any power over us today, however in saying that I also believe that you can find every one of the 10 commandments in the N.T. for us to follow today except for 1, "Remember the Sabbath".

:study:screwloose 1 John 3:4, James 2:8-12 finds these person's in 'Total' Rebellion! Rev. 12:17 Mark 7:7 But who cares what you or 'i' believe, huh?--Elijah

That sounds a bit like "pick and choose" to me. Actually the statement that Paul made in your quoted scripture, was that under the "old" law, there was no place for forgiveness and transgression lead to death, without pardon. Under the "new" law there was:

1. no necessity for sacrifices anymore, since "type had met antitype" in the crucifixion of Christ (The Lamb)"
  2. Grace for sin; as we surrender our heart to Christ, our sinful characters are exchanged with Christ's sinless character :clap
This all makes perfect sense; why? Well, if Christ would have come here to "do away" with the 10 Commandments, He would have actually contradicted Himself. He clearly stated in Matthew 5:17-19:

17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (emphasis added)

I think one of the reasons for society rapidly going south today and people living in total confusion about morality is the idea that the 10 Commandments (our moral standards) would be any less valid today as they were in Moses days.

The abandonment of the fourth commandment has no biblical ground whatsoever, but was executed by the Roman Emperor Constantine and adopted into Roman Catholic Church tradition. Even well known Catholic scholars recognize that there is no Biblical authority for changing the seventh day Sabbath into Sunday.

That sounds a bit like "pick and choose" to me. Actually the statement that Paul made in your quoted scripture, was that under the "old" law, there was no place for forgiveness and transgression lead to death, without pardon. Under the "new" law there was:

1. no necessity for sacrifices anymore, since "type had met antitype" in the crucifixion of Christ (The Lamb)"
  2. Grace for sin; as we surrender our heart to Christ, our sinful characters are exchanged with Christ's sinless character :clap
This all makes perfect sense; why? Well, if Christ would have come here to "do away" with the 10 Commandments, He would have actually contradicted Himself. He clearly stated in Matthew 5:17-19:

17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (emphasis added)

I think one of the reasons for society rapidly going south today and people living in total confusion about morality is the idea that the 10 Commandments (our moral standards) would be any less valid today as they were in Moses days.

The abandonment of the fourth commandment has no biblical ground whatsoever, but was executed by the Roman Emperor Constantine and adopted into Roman Catholic Church tradition. Even well known Catholic scholars recognize that there is no Biblical authority for changing the seventh day Sabbath into Sunday.

Amen!!! All glory to GOD...You took that scripture right out my mouth.... Let say you a Sunday keeper... at least keep the day holy...

I guess I was in the wrong forum... I know you suppose to worship GOD everyday but what day is mandatory that we worship. I know about the 7 different sabbath day and the sabbath year in Leviticus 23. And I believe that the law of Mose which he wrote with his hand wasn't nail to the cross not the 10 commandments. And the 4 commandment is Remember the sabbath day..So basically I wanna know why we go to church on Sunday. When we walking in the footstep of Jesus and he keep the sabbath day.

Sunday is the day that Christ was ressurected.

Is this an another thread? Did you look into my reply at: http://www.christianforums.net/f18/sabbath-day-sunday-38093/#post564826

The 10 commandments are included in the old covenant (Exo 34:28) which is now obsolete (Heb 8:13). Hence, not a single word from the 10 commandments had to be followed. If you follow the old covenant, you commit abomination. All you are supposed to do, is just follow Christ. Christ gave us 1 commandment, which is to love one another.

Is this an another thread? Did you look into my reply at: http://www.christianforums.net/f18/sabbath-day-sunday-38093/#post564826

The 10 commandments are included in the old covenant (Exo 34:28) which is now obsolete (Heb 8:13). Hence, not a single word from the 10 commandments had to be followed. If you follow the old covenant, you commit abomination. All you are supposed to do, is just follow Christ. Christ gave us 1 commandment, which is to love one another.

Rev 14:12, 1 John 2:23-25...And you talking about Mose's Law.. Not God's Laws which H made a trip to earth to write with His finger and tell you in person. And Jesus also want us to follow in His footsteps.... With that said He follow the commandments....

Rev 14:12, 1 John 2:23-25...And you talking about Mose's Law.. Not God's Laws which H made a trip to earth to write with His finger and tell you in person. And Jesus also want us to follow in His footsteps.... With that said He follow the commandments....

John 13:34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

This is the only God's commandment which Christ gave His people to follow. In this hang all the law and prophets (Matt 22:37-40). This is confirmed several times in NT.

There are many valid points made on this thread about the law all offering different perspectives without actually disagreeing per se. I will add another one. The promise to Abraham transcends the requirement of the law, so Jesus was sent to pay the price required by the law which we could not accomplish and held us condemned as sinners. Or did someone already say that?

John 13:34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

This is the only God's commandment which Christ gave His people to follow. In this hang all the law and prophets (Matt 22:37-40). This is confirmed several times in NT.

See Matt 22:37-40... That still talking about the 10 commandments because the first part about GOD and second part of it was for man. Now I think that why they were on to tablet. Remember they where trying to trick Jesus to saying something wrong so they can find fault in him and say he sinned. Col 2:14-16.... See what it made by man can perish but what made by GOD is everlasting.

Nor was there any biblical warrant for doing away with circumcision.

Ask yourself under whose authority did the Church "do away with" that necessity and you'll find the answer regarding Sunday worship on the "Lord's Day", which we do find evidence of the practice for in Scriptures...

Regards

The sabbath was nailed to the cross before there was a pope so how could the pope have changed it?????

The sabbath was nailed to the cross before there was a pope so how could the pope have changed it?????

It what?? You best go read their pope Peter's [documented] material! And at least give the documrntation of such a remark as the sabbath was nailed to the cross. (7th Day one that is! Exod. 25:16) See Eccl. 3:14 & Rev. last couple verses of WARNING. (if one believes that even?)

And who do you think spoke & penned the Eternal Covenant??? 1 Cor.10:1-4 starts out with ignorant?? (compare Neh. 9:6-15)

--Elijah

I'm not interested in the pope's documentation as you call it, only what the scriptiure teaches. The sabbath was nailed to the cross.

I'm not interested in the pope's documentation as you call it, only what the scriptiure teaches. The sabbath was nailed to the cross.

I realize what you post. And wonder how you even care for these Words of scripture.

Christ said: Matt. 28
[18] And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
[19] Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
[20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Here you will find that you will need to find one of the Rev. 17:1-5 churchs to join to try to get your baptism correct. For per/your post, you would never get baptised by the one Christ in.

Christ said: Matt. 18
[18] Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.And there is NO Other than these ones of Rev. 12:17

--Elijah

Pray tell me WHAT IN THE WORLD does your post have to do with the sabbath?? If you want to talk about the sabbath, I can do that and if you want to talk about baptism I can do that also, not both on the same thread. Or maybe you want to sign up for a one on one on either or whatever.

See Matt 22:37-40... That still talking about the 10 commandments because the first part about GOD and second part of it was for man. Now I think that why they were on to tablet. Remember they where trying to trick Jesus to saying something wrong so they can find fault in him and say he sinned. Col 2:14-16.... See what it made by man can perish but what made by GOD is everlasting.

That still comes under the one commandment which Christ gave. If Christ is speaking about the 10 commandments, he missed Sabbath. Oops!

If you love me love one another (John 14:15, John 15:12) - Just one commandment.

Also, Jesus did not obey the Sabbath (John 5:18). He doesn't need to obey according to the law because, He is our High Priest (Heb 4:14) and priests in the Temple actually profane the Sabbath yet blameless (Matt 12:5). Hence, Jesus did not obey Sabbath by never taking any 'rest' (John 5:17) yet sinless and blameless.

So, Sabbath is never in the new covenant and if you follow it, it is an abomination as I previously posted.

All the responses of the Law being nailed to the cross (which was actually the ceremonial law, and not the 10 Commandments) and the 10 commandments made obsolete, are remarks being made, completely ignoring the words of Jesus in Matthew 5:17-19, where He clearly states that He didn't come to change the Law, ...Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law and ...Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven.

Sunday is the day that Christ was ressurected.

Yes... and? Friday was the day that He was crucified. Is that a reason to start worship on Friday? Question is: Where in scripture did Jesus ask or tell us to change our day of worship?

So, in the light of Matt 5:17-19 Jesus is contradicting Himself? Why is it so difficult to accept that it were the O.T. Ceremonial Laws that were nailed to the cross.
Also, when you're a collector of vintage sports cars and I come bring you a new piece to your collection, does that then mean that I expect you to scrap the ones you already had? In John 13:34, Jesus states "A new Commandment I give to you...", not "The new Commandment"The commandment He gave was a clear addition to the already existing Commandments, as seen in the light of Matthew 5:17-19. If the whole 10 Commandments have been made redundant and we only have to follow Jesus in loving one another, then you sir, are contradicting yourself when you say "If you follow the old covenant, you commit abomination", because then it really wouldn't matter what we follow as long as we just love one another.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back