Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Scripture required?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

donadams

Only Jesus Christ: the way, the truth, the life!
Catholicism Overseer
Does the Apostolic Church require sacred scripture to know the truth?

Thks

No matter what church wants to call itself it's only through the Holy Spirit working through those who have been called and anointed by the Spirit of God to preach/teach the word of God by sharing the Gospel/scripture with everyone. If one is not using scripture then flee from them.

Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

No matter what church wants to call itself it's only through the Holy Spirit working through those who have been called and anointed by the Spirit of God to preach/teach the word of God by sharing the Gospel/scripture with everyone. If one is not using scripture then flee from them.

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
Are the New Testament scriptures required to teach the truths revealed by Christ?

Are the New Testament scriptures required to teach the truths revealed by Christ?

Where else do we find the Truth of Jesus Christ, other than His words of scripture, spoken by and recorded by His Apostles?

Where else do we find the Truth of Jesus Christ, other than His words of scripture, spoken by and recorded by His Apostles?
From the apostolic church which still teaches what it always taught even before it wrote the New Testament

From the apostolic church which still teaches what it always taught even before it wrote the New Testament

The New Testament is the teaching of Christ; The Doctrine of Christ.

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:9

The New Testament is the teaching of Christ; The Doctrine of Christ.

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:9
It is the testimony of the church about christ

I would have to say yes as Christ gave to the Disciples what to write for how do we learn without hearing the word of God. Only the Holy Spirit can teach us all truths and it's up to us to Spiritually discern what is being taught to us as there are many false teachers out in the world.

2Tim 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Tim 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

What you're speaking of is of human origin and over the years it is my belief that they have strayed from the original teaching of the 13 Apostles. I'm not going to get into listing everything but I will say it was some of this straying that Martin Luther was working to change but rather than listen to him, the church excommunicated him. Also, I'm not saying that we Protestants are any better and in fact, the proof is in that pudding, as demonstrated by the fractured theologies. Alas, we are flawed after all.

It is the testimony of the church about christ

The New Testament contains Christ's instructions to His disciples, which the scriptures refer to as the truth.

Jesus Christ is the truth. Every word that proceeds out of his mouth is the truth.

The (threefold) fullness of the truth is expressed through:

His gospel - His doctrine - His commandments.

We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is fitting, because your faith grows exceedingly, and the love of every one of you all abounds toward each other, so that we ourselves boast of you among the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that you endure, which is manifest evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you also suffer; since it is a righteous thing with God to repay with tribulation those who trouble you, and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Thessalonians 1:3-8

For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God? 1 Peter 4:17

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “LORD, who has believed our report?” So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:16-17

Obeying the truth whether it’s His gospel, His doctrine, or His commandments is a salvation issue.

JLB

Thks

The Apostolic Church?

There's the Church universal, the Bride/Body of Christ that is led by Christ Himself, the Chief Cornerstone, the "head" of the Body, etc., but there have been no true apostles over the Church for nearly two thousand years.

Does the Church require the word of God in order to know the truth? By what better means might it do so? By fallen men in fancy hats and robes conferring upon themselves God's authority?

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Psalm 119:105
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Psalm 119:129-130
129 Your testimonies are wonderful; therefore my soul keeps them.
130 The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple.

Psalm 119:9
9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.

What you're speaking of is of human origin and over the years it is my belief that they have strayed from the original teaching of the 13 Apostles. I'm not going to get into listing everything but I will say it was some of this straying that Martin Luther was working to change but rather than listen to him, the church excommunicated him. Also, I'm not saying that we Protestants are any better and in fact, the proof is in that pudding, as demonstrated by the fractured theologies. Alas, we are flawed after all.
What happened to your faith in Christ and the Holy Spirit?

Matt 16:18-19 shall not prevail!
Jn 16:13 Lead into all truth!
Matt 28:19 teach all men!
Acts 1:8 witnesses

The church is subject unto Christ!
Eph 5:24
The church and Christ are one! Acts 9:4 Jn 15:5 eph 5:32

The apostolic church is of divine origin and has the truth, those in opposition are full of errors and the tradition of men! 1 Jn 4:6

Christ and His church are the truth!
Jn 1:16-17 & 14:6
1 Tim 3:15

Christ is the Light (truth) of the world! Jn 8:12
Apostolic church Light of the world! Matt 5:14
Must Hear Christ! Matt 17:5 acts 3:22
Must hear the church! Matt 18:17
Christ and his apostolic church teach the same truth! Lk 10:16

Thanks

The New Testament contains Christ's instructions to His disciples, which the scriptures refer to as the truth.

Jesus Christ is the truth. Every word that proceeds out of his mouth is the truth.

The (threefold) fullness of the truth is expressed through:

His gospel - His doctrine - His commandments.

We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is fitting, because your faith grows exceedingly, and the love of every one of you all abounds toward each other, so that we ourselves boast of you among the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that you endure, which is manifest evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you also suffer; since it is a righteous thing with God to repay with tribulation those who trouble you, and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Thessalonians 1:3-8

For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God? 1 Peter 4:17

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “LORD, who has believed our report?” So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:16-17

Obeying the truth whether it’s His gospel, His doctrine, or His commandments is a salvation issue.

JLB
True but it does not say the gospel is limited to sacred scripture

The apostolic church preached the gospel and word of God for 30 plus years before the write it down

The Apostolic Church?

There's the Church universal, the Bride/Body of Christ that is led by Christ Himself, the Chief Cornerstone, the "head" of the Body, etc., but there have been no true apostles over the Church for nearly two thousand years.

Does the Church require the word of God in order to know the truth? By what better means might it do so? By fallen men in fancy hats and robes conferring upon themselves God's authority?

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Psalm 119:105
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Psalm 119:129-130
129 Your testimonies are wonderful; therefore my soul keeps them.
130 The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple.

Psalm 119:9
9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.
Apostolic Church is the church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles Matt 16:18 eph 2:20

Is that a yes, the apostolic church required sacred scripture to know the truth?

True but it does not say the gospel is limited to sacred scripture

The apostolic church preached the gospel and word of God for 30 plus years before the write it down

People are the Church, not buildings or organizations, or religions, such as Catholicism.

Each person is responsible for studying and obeying the scriptures for themselves.

Religious organizations or denominations do not dictate nor interpret scripture for the people.

Christians are taught the truth by Him who is the Truth.

But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him. 1 John 2:27

Catholics are taught the Catechism.

Calvinists are taught Calvinism.

Buddhists are taught Buddhism.

Apostolic Church is the church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles Matt 16:18 eph 2:20

Is that a yes, the apostolic church required sacred scripture to know the truth?

Matthew 16:15-19
15 He *said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
17 And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
18 "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.
19 "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."

So where is the Apostolic Church founded in this passage? I see Jesus saying the Early Church would be built upon "this rock" which may be a play on words, Peter's name - Cephas - meaning "rock" or "stone" (petros in Greek) but the "rock" in the phrase "this rock" referring to "bedrock" (petra in Greek). Even if by "rock" (petra), Christ meant Peter (petros) and not himself, or Peter's confession that Christ was the "Son of the living God," both of which are entirely plausible readings of the passage, Christ doesn't actually say anything to Peter about him being the first "link" in an apostolic "chain" of apostles extending to today. This is a Roman Catholic construction forced into the passage in support of a claim to apostolic authority (and all the assorted blasphemous doctrines arising from it) that the passage doesn't actually present at all. There were, in reality, many "stones" upon which the Church was established, not just Peter who, himself, explicitly deferred to Christ as the foundation "cornerstone" of the Church.

1 Peter 2:4-7
4 As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious,
5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
6 For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”
7 So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,”

People are the Church, not buildings or organizations, or religions, such as Catholicism.

Each person is responsible for studying and obeying the scriptures for themselves.

Religious organizations or denominations do not dictate nor interpret scripture for the people.

Christians are taught the truth by Him who is the Truth.

But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him. 1 John 2:27

Catholics are taught the Catechism.

Calvinists are taught Calvinism.

Buddhists are taught Buddhism.
You forgot Lutheran’s are taught Luther’s catechism!

Christ and his church are one! Acts 9:4 Jn 15:4-5 eph 5:24 eph 5:32

Christians must be taught or instructed, according to the sense which the perpetual consent of the Catholic Church hath held and expressed, as commanded by Christ! Matt 28:19-20 acts 1:2

Lk 1:4
Matt 5:14
Matt 28:19
Lk 10:16
Jn 20:21
Acts 16:17
Acts 8:31
Titus 1:9
Titus 2:12
Colossians 2:7
Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught…

No Christian has the authority to read scripture for yourself and decide your own doctrines or beliefs! “One faith” Eph 4:5 Thee faith once handed to the saints” Jude 1:3

Those who submit to the apostolic church know the truth! Those who reject The apostolic church are in error!

1 John 4:6
We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Members of the communion of saints must submit to the teaching of the apostles: “the light (truth) of the world” and the pillar of truth! Matt 5:14 1 Tim 3:15

Thks
Hi Don,
I agree very much with WIP's post in no. 9

I fail to see why you begin these posts because you're not going to convince anyone that hasn't read the Apostolic Fathers.

The bible ALONE is not sufficient to teach what Jesus taught.
Everyone is screaming....BUT

How could it be when we on this very forum do not agree on major doctrines?
If there's a difference in OPINION, what does a person do?

I've learned to go to the Apostolic Fathers and t he Early Church Fathers.
Why?
Because that puts an end to any question.

I'm having a conversation with a member on this thread, Tenchi, and I can't tell you how much I respect this member.
But we're debating something very important OSAS.
He believes that we can never lose our salvation.

No AF and no ECF believed this.
So why should ANY Christian believe it?
Because they read some verses and have come to that conclusion?

If God had meant the bible to be the ONLY word from Him, we would have a very clear written word --- which we do not.

So there must be other sources we could discover.

Having said all that....I do agree that the Reformation was necessary -unfortunately.
Absolute power
corrupts absolutely.
And the church (the CC) had become corrupt and had lost its way.

17 And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
18 "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.
19 "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."

So where is the Apostolic Church founded in this passage? I see Jesus saying the Early Church would be built upon "this rock" which may be a play on words, Peter's name - Cephas - meaning "rock" or "stone" (petros in Greek) but the "rock" in the phrase "this rock" referring to "bedrock" (petra in Greek). Even if by "rock" (petra), Christ meant Peter (petros) and not himself, or Peter's confession that Christ was the "Son of the living God," both of which are entirely plausible readings of the passage, Christ doesn't actually say anything to Peter about him being the first "link" in an apostolic "chain" of apostles extending to today. This is a Roman Catholic construction forced into the passage in support of a claim to apostolic authority (and all the assorted blasphemous doctrines arising from it) that the passage doesn't actually present at all. There were, in reality, many "stones" upon which the Church was established, not just Peter who, himself, explicitly deferred to Christ as the foundation "cornerstone" of the Church.

4 As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious,
5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
6 For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”
7 So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,”
Apostolic church?

“My church” founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles! Matt 16:18 eph 2:20

Matt 16:19 how do you give the “keys” of jurisdictional authority to a confession of faith?

Not to a confession of faith but to a person “Peter”!

Acts 15:7 God chose Peter!

Thks

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back