Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Self-Righteous People

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
E

elijah23

Should one bow down to self-righteous people, or should one treat them just as one would treat anybody else?

I think its good to be careful about how we decide if a someone or a group is self-righteous. Sometimes, they're just using discernment and being more vocal about their take on things and their moral stance.

Then again...I'm a softie. People say something, I usually at least try to take it into consideration. For a moment or two, I might even accept their position as my own. Character flaw. In general, I can't handle intense self-righteousness very well.

If its a fellow Christian and they're being semi-reasonable, I'd try to accomodate them. I might avoid them later, but in that moment...I'd try to accomodate. If they're either not Christian or just being ridiculous, you might need to take a stand. As iron sharpens iron, so does one man sharpen another....or something like that. Anyway, their "self-righteousness" might help you examine your own life and your approach might soften their self-righteousness. You never know, really.

Let's call it morally decent. I will still respect them if they are sinners. I have known such people.

But the only problem is Isaiah 64:6

Should one bow down to self-righteous people

The Bible gives us an example of those who would justify themselves in Luke 18. They are described as blind, boastful, and having contempt for others. In such a case, I would seek other company.

The Bible gives us an example of those who would justify themselves in Luke 18. They are described as blind, boastful, and having contempt for others. In such a case, I would seek other company.

While that is an excellent biblical view, I wonder how the responders of this op would define somebody who is self righteous.

I bring this up because the liberals would have everyone who takes a moral stand on an opposing view as self righteous.

I consider someone self righteous when the person has elevated themselves above others for petty reasons. A person who always has a condescending tone when in discussion with others. A person who goes into a conversation of any type and isn't there to conversate, but to push their opinion or stance and ignore any point against theirs.

I've met self righteous people of all stripes and paths. It usually tends to be younger people who are new in an area or people with sever emotional problems and attachments to the issues being discussed.

I consider someone self righteous when the person has elevated themselves above others for petty reasons. A person who always has a condescending tone when in discussion with others. A person who goes into a conversation of any type and isn't there to conversate, but to push their opinion or stance and ignore any point against theirs.

I've met self righteous people of all stripes and paths. It usually tends to be younger people who are new in an area or people with sever emotional problems and attachments to the issues being discussed.

So by your own definition, you admit to being a bit self righteous yourself then?
What do you consider being petty?

Regardless, I believe that a biblical view of somebody who is self righteous is one who seeks their own glory through an elevated view of themselves at the expense of others.

So by your own definition, you admit to being a bit self righteous yourself then?
I think we all have moments when we forget our humility. I'm guilty of it, but I do try and better myself and try to improve my listening skills.
What do you consider being petty?
Mostly just looking for something to raise themselves above the other person. Clothing choice, Natural appearance, what type of movies the person prefers, etc. Petty can be situational.

Regardless, I believe that a biblical view of somebody who is self righteous is one who seeks their own glory through an elevated view of themselves at the expense of others.
I think we can agree on this. Which is why I pointed out in my post about emotional needs. :yes

MeatballSub said:
Stovebolts said:
I think we can agree on this. Which is why I pointed out in my post about emotional needs.

Yeah.. I caught that... And exactly how am I to take that since you've already falsely accused me of having emotional needs based on our difference in gay marriage? I find that as a petty backhanded remark.

I believe that from another's perspective, somebody can be considered as self righteous when in reality it's ones insecurity which causes them to view others from a superficial perspective.

For example, I have a very nice 1968 Camaro. I get a lot of looks when I drive it. I am proud of my car and I have entered it into several car shows. But I don't look down on others who have "wanna be" Camaro's and I don't feel as though I've got a nice car just because somebody else doesn't have as nice of a car as I do. In other words, I don't derive pleasure from having a nicer car than other people. No, I derive pleasure from my car for it being exactly what I wanted it to be because I built it. This allows me to take great pleasure in other peoples cars, even Fords and hold an appreciation for them without the insecurities associated with the baggage that comes along with always comparing myself with others...

So, lets say some kid in his rusted hot rod camaro pulls up to me and wants to race and I know I can smoke him. So we take off and I just play with him. Does he look at me as some rich old dude with lots of money and despises me for having what he wants, or does it give him encouragement to reach for something better in his own car?

Life is much like this in many ways. I tell people to stay away from drugs. Not because I am self righteous, but because I understand the dangers of drugs. I tell kids to finish High School and go to a good college. Again, not because I'm self righteous, but because I'm looking out for their best interest. I tell people that if they wait to have sex before marriage, it will make their marriage stronger etc etc etc.

I am very opinionated, and I've earned that right. Some may call me self righteous because they disagree with me. For those who call me such things, I would humbly say to them that they don't know me, and speak falsely of me.

Matthew 5:10-12 Blessed are they that have been persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye when men shall reproach you, and persecute you, and say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets that were before you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.. I caught that... And exactly how am I to take that since you've already falsely accused me of having emotional needs based on our difference in gay marriage? I find that as a petty backhanded remark.
I wasn't aiming the comment at you though. I was just posting my own opinion on what I think of when I think of a self righteous person.

I believe that from another's perspective, somebody can be considered as self righteous when in reality it's ones insecurity which causes them to view others from a superficial perspective.
Ok.

For example, I have a very nice 1968 Camaro. I get a lot of looks when I drive it. I am proud of my car and I have entered it into several car shows. But I don't look down on others who have "wanna be" Camaro's and I don't feel as though I've got a nice car just because somebody else doesn't have as nice of a car as I do. In other words, I don't derive pleasure from having a nicer car than other people. No, I derive pleasure from my car for it being exactly what I wanted it to be because I built it. This allows me to take great pleasure in other peoples cars, even Fords and hold an appreciation for them without the insecurities associated with the baggage that comes along with always comparing myself with others...

So, lets say some kid in his rusted hot rod camaro pulls up to me and wants to race and I know I can smoke him. So we take off and I just play with him. Does he look at me as some rich old dude with lots of money and despises me for having what he wants, or does it give him encouragement to reach for something better in his own car?

Life is much like this in many ways. I tell people to stay away from drugs. Not because I am self righteous, but because I understand the dangers of drugs. I tell kids to finish High School and go to a good college. Again, not because I'm self righteous, but because I'm looking out for their best interest. I tell people that if they wait to have sex before marriage, it will make their marriage stronger etc etc etc.

I am very opinionated, and I've earned that right. Some may call me self righteous because they disagree with me. For those who call me such things, I would humbly say to them that they don't know me, and speak falsely of me.

Matthew 5:10-12 Blessed are they that have been persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye when men shall reproach you, and persecute you, and say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets that were before you.
I think you are adressing the difference between criticism and "haters". A Hater is just going to try and bring you down because of their own insecurity. Someone with positive criticism will give their opinion but still give respect when it is needed.

I understand that concept very well.

Self righteous? :chin....The bible says no man is righteous, all men are sinner, some are forgiven and some are not. Those who hold mans definition of what is right could be said to be self righteous, but those who hold what God has defined is right, are only able themselves to reflect the righteousness of God, and not of themselves. So, when you think about it, there is no such thing as a self-righteous human.

Meatball Sub said:
I think you are adressing the difference between criticism and "haters". A Hater is just going to try and bring you down because of their own insecurity. Someone with positive criticism will give their opinion but still give respect when it is needed.

I understand that concept very well.

Haters fall into the self righteous group for sure... they think they are better than anyone else and have a puffed up sense of knowledge about the things around them.

when the pharisese prayed, "Thank you for not making us sinners like them" it's a prime example of a self righteous person aka hater. But notice, they look at the world in terms of "us and them" and for some, that causes a "group mob mentality" or in other words, "They just a bunch of good ole boys".

BTW, I think we also have a skewed view of respect. Respect is earned, it's not simply given. Example, my brother, when he was alive wanted me to "respect" his drug habit which eventually cost him his life, and caused a lot of emotional pain in the family. Was I self righteous for not respecting his life style and warning him of his errors? We got along well because we were brothers, and we were very direct in our views. Odd, neither of us viewed each other as "haters". No, we viewed each other as brothers and we each knew where the other stood. Yet we could sit at the table and talk for hours, laughing and having a good time... neither worrying about subjects of taboo or having to be creative with our words. What you saw, is what you got. In that sense we respected each other.

How do you take it that Jesus treated self-righteous people? And then what do you think He would advise His followers, in treating self-righteous people?

I'm not sure I see Jesus acting in either of the roles provided by the OP.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back