Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Growth Self's Worst Enemy

netchaplain

One of the major spiritual growth lessons for the believer is that of knowing the “acceptance” (Eph 1:6) obtained in the Lord Jesus, in spite of the presence of “the old man” (sinful nature). Denying the presence of this Adamic nature will stunt the instruction of Romans Seven, and contribute much to a miscomprehension of Galatians 5:17.

Scripture’s admonitions to the believer are not in reference to sin’s guilt (this is settled at regeneration), but sin’s dominion (and our liberation from it). When guilt is an issue, regardless the cause, the atoning authority of the Cross is unknowingly being challenged via ignorance of its full comprehension, which the Spirit eventually resolves for every believer, through Word of God.

Our understanding of unessential doctrine will never affect the essential teaching of the redemption in Christ, along with all of the unchangeable doctrines concerning the godliness (2 Pet 1:3) which we are ever learning (“glory to glory”) to understand and apply (all by the Spirit of course).

Please view the below link when replying to these posts, as it is the material on which is commented..
-NC

Hungry Heart Anthology: http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

Last edited:
One of the major spiritual growth lessons for the believer is that of knowing the “acceptance” (Eph 1:6) obtained in the Lord Jesus, in spite of the presence of “the old man” (sinful nature). Denying the presence of this Adamic nature will stunt the instruction of Romans Seven, and contribute much to a miscomprehension of Galatians 5:17.

Scripture’s admonitions to the believer are not in reference to sin’s guilt (this is settled at regeneration), but sin’s dominion (and our liberation from it). When guilt is an issue, regardless the cause, the atoning authority of the Cross is unknowingly being challenged via ignorance of its full comprehension, which the Spirit eventually resolves for every believer, through Word of God.

Our understanding of unessential doctrine will never affect the essential teaching of the redemption in Christ, along with all of the unchangeable doctrines concerning the godliness (2 Pet 1:3) which we are ever learning (“glory to glory”) to understand and apply (all by the Spirit of course).

Please view the below link when replying to these posts, as it is the primary material of study.
-NC

Hungry Heart Anthology: http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

He accepts us; this is the emphasis, right? not so much the act of will thing in supposedly activating the promises by signing an evangelist's dotted line, which I think is completely wrong.

Blessings.

He accepts us; this is the emphasis, right? not so much the act of will thing in supposedly activating the promises by signing an evangelist's dotted line, which I think is completely wrong.

Blessings.
Hi Far - Thanks for the reply but not sure of your inquiry. I think I understand what you mean but not sure. What does "will thing" mean?

Hi Far - Thanks for the reply but not sure of your inquiry. I think I understand what you mean but not sure. What does "will thing" mean?

Evangelism is often explained in terms of 'you accept Him', by putting up one's hand during a meeting, or signing the dotted line of a card, etc. The emphasis seems so often to be on a supposed act of will which brings God into line with our wishes.

But in fact in Ephesians it's the other way round; sinners who come to the Savior find acceptance with Him, because of His sin atoning work at the Cross. Gloriously, He accepts us!

Blessings.

Evangelism is often explained in terms of 'you accept Him', by putting up one's hand during a meeting, or signing the dotted line of a card, etc. The emphasis seems so often to be on a supposed act of will which brings God into line with our wishes.

But in fact in Ephesians it's the other way round; sinners who come to the Savior find acceptance with Him, because of His sin atoning work at the Cross. Gloriously, He accepts us!

Blessings.

Thanks. I see what you mean. I suppose it's how you view it, but to me, what you're saying is semantically parallel to the concept of us also accepting Him, which means receiving Him in faith (John 1:12). I wouldn't think there is much difference between receive and accept, both require a choice of the sinner. Is that what you mean?

Thanks. I see what you mean. I suppose it's how you view it, but to me, what you're saying is semantically parallel to the concept of us also accepting Him, which means receiving Him in faith (John 1:12). I wouldn't think there is much difference between receive and accept, both require a choice of the sinner. Is that what you mean?

I think that human responsibility and divine sovereignty go hand in hand, but the aspect that the Lord Jesus accepts us, as referred to in Ephesians, is often overlooked.

Blessings.

I think that human responsibility and divine sovereignty go hand in hand, but the aspect that the Lord Jesus accepts us, as referred to in Ephesians, is often overlooked.

Blessings.
I like how you put it concerning "human responsibility and divine sovereignty." I believe the former is shown according to how it reacts to the latter. That is, one is a responsible believer because of His sovereignty of drawing us to His Son through implanting the desire to do so. This maintains God's "preeminence" in all things (Col 1:18); considering He foreknows all who will be coming to His Son, even prior to creation of-course.

I like how you put it concerning "human responsibility and divine sovereignty." I believe the former is shown according to how it reacts to the latter. That is, one is a responsible believer because of His sovereignty of drawing us to His Son through implanting the desire to do so. This maintains God's "preeminence" in all things (Col 1:18); considering He foreknows all who will be coming to His Son, even prior to creation of-course.

Yes, Colossians 1.18 is a great verse to remember! Blessings.

NC- What you say is so correct, I believe. I was devastated a short time after being saved thru the efforts of the military branch of CCC back in 1975 by such an experience. I thank God for my small core group of fellow believers who didn't judge me but rather helped me to realize the perpetuallity of 1 Jn 1:9 and to start understanding the depth of God's grace. We had just started the "Nine Transferable Concepts" (9 sixty pg or so Bible study booklets to ground a new convert into God's Word of what the Christian life was about.) One of those brothers was Thomas Carey from IN who was our leader. He was such an inspirtation. I think it was farther down the road of discovery a decade or more before I grasped sin's dominion (a decision) as opposed to sin's guilt (a consequence erradicated by grace; inappropriately felt.)

But one would ask, "Isn't the guilt nesessary to lead us to repentence, confession, and overcoming the sin as we realize we just can't overcome without God's help? When I think back to that incident when I was a babe in Christ, what I felt was shame and disgrace. I hurt so, so bad because I thought I had hurt my new Father; One for the first time who loved me and cared for me and had a good plan for me and forgave me. I cried uncontrollably like a baby that night for what I saw as my failure to live up to His expectations. My crying is very rare and usually it is calmly and silently feeling whatever it is causing it and tears run down my cheeks. What I didn't realize then is that God already knew what I was going to do and could have disallowed it but I needed to do it to realize several things in order for me to grow and devlop (mature) in the Lord (as you say) and I needed to learn that He had not only forgiven my sins to salvation point but for all time. Sin for a Christian then becomes at that crossroads, for me anyway, realizing that I am already forgiven (this is NOT license) but knowing that I sinned because of cognatively NOT keeping my eyes on Jesus and NOT submitting to the Holy Spirit within and allowing my sin nature/carnality have dominion. It may not be necessary, but I still talk to God about it (confess) and claim 1 Jn 1:9 and ask for God's help next time.

Sin for a Christian then becomes at that crossroads, for me anyway, realizing that I am already forgiven (this is NOT license) but knowing that I sinned because of cognatively NOT keeping my eyes on Jesus and NOT submitting to the Holy Spirit within and allowing my sin nature/carnality have dominion. It may not be necessary, but I still talk to God about it (confess) and claim 1 Jn 1:9 and ask for God's help next time.

Hi SF - That's good sharing! We all have to learn to get past the point that a true Christian has already been forgiven for all sin in the same manner it has been applied, "through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all" (Heb 10:10). The one-time offer of our Lord Jesus suffices for all our sin and never needs to be reapplied, or it would require re-crucifixion.

Our continued confessions of wrong doing doesn't provide for forgiveness, which is always ahead of the sin, but in the acknowledging (confessing) to God, we are freed in our conscience to know that, "He is faithful and just to forgive us" (1 John 1:9), as you've indicated. It's just a matter of remembering this in the trials!

Thanks for the sensitive reply and God's blessings to your Family!

Last edited:
Back