Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Smartphone Issue

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

WIP

Staff member
Having some minor difficulty with my smartphone and hoping someone has a possible solution.

Samsung Galaxy S4

Android v4.4.4

For the past month or so, Samsung Internet App will occasionally have trouble loading web sites. It seems to get part way but then it’s as if it locks up. I try refreshing the search and that doesn’t help. What I have discovered is if I open the task manager, navigate to the RAM manager, and clear RAM memory, it will work normal again. The task manager only shows about 80% RAM used and after clearing goes to about half.

It's just a real pain that I have to clear RAM so much. Never had this trouble before. I do cycle the power on the unit at least twice a week as I always have.

Did you download a new app prior to this starting to occur? There have been reports of apps with malware embedded into it. This could be taking up your RAM and causing your phones performance to drag.

Not that I can recall. I did upgrade to 4.4.4. I haven't found any references to others having similar issues with this new version.

Mr. WIP, have you tried updating your Profile and PRL in your settings? I've had issues like that, and updating those connections seems to work. You could also go to your Storage and clear your cache if you haven't done that in a while. Clear your cache in the browser you're using and reboot, too.

I'm a little ignorant. What is PRL?
Haven't tried checking my profile. I have been working with my cache files already but not sure if I did it with my browser yet. Thanks for the tip.

The PRL I stands for Preferred Roaming List, and you should have an option for System Updates in your settings. Between this and your Profile, it will basically refresh and adjust your connections to cell towers. This will only be effective if your issue is when on data as opposed to WiFi.

If it is while on WiFi, it's more likely cache that's the culprit. Go to your Apps in Settings, then to your browser, and clear the browser cache. Hope that helps out with your issue! :)

Cumonnnn, man! You're not going with the plan, you're frustrated with your phone, that you were thinking of stepping down from your ministry. You were that desperate to have your phone work as it should.

Then, seemingly out of nowhere, Mike swoops is in and saves the day, everyone cheers in Thanksgiving to the Lord that He did find the one who would ease your burden, and the not everyone on the board would boo me whenever I make a post.

Remember that plan we had? Have you bailed out of our plan? :shades

Do yourself a favour and download Dolphin Browser HD and stop using the default web browser included.

I use Samsung and they all have some issues with the stock apps loaded.

Best to just go with apps that are reliable.

Thought I'd share an update if anyone else happens to run into a similar problem. After giving it thought, I recognized that my issues seemed to begin shortly after my most recent firmware update. The browser I have been using is the default browser that came with my Galaxy s4 and is updated along with the firmware. I like certain features this browser has plus my phone's hand gestures works with it but not with other browsers I've tried. For this reason, I avoided trying a different browser but today when my default browser got locked up I decided to try using my Chrome browser just to see how it goes and that one has been working fine. I suspect now that maybe the default browser has a bug that needs fixing. Hopefully, it'll be repaired with the next firmware upgrade.

Glad you got it worked out, brother! I use Chrome exclusively. It takes a little time to get used to, but it's worth it, IMO.

I've used Chrome on my desktop for a few years but because it didn't work with certain phone functions I stayed with the Android internet app. As with most anything, it'll take me a little while to get accustomed to using the Chrome app. Aside from the lockup issue, I have noticed it is faster than the other app I was using.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back