Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Socialite Fascinations

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Mike

The Kardashians and Paris Hilton are just a few fascinations I don't get. I don't know why every step they take is of such mass interest, and I don't want to waste my time finding out. Why are people so enthralled by these seemingly untalented personalities? I'm not locked in with much pop-culture, so it seems by the time I hear about these people, it's after an avalanche of hype has already taken hold.

Can anyone give a reason that these people capture such attention? I don't follow actors and musicians, but I guess I can understand why other people do. But these people like the Kardashians seem to be thrust out there for now reason at all. And people eat it up. :screwloose

It's crazy isn't it!

There was a yahoo article on Kim Kardashian the other day with the news flash: "Kim Kardashian gets a new haircut!"

So new haircuts are riveting reporting nowadays? :rolleyes:

I, personally, think it has every thing to do with the very fact that they are not "traditionally" talented, but merely famous because of their parents. It tells young people out there, "Hey, if I can do it, you can too!"

It seems that you no longer need talent to make it in the "Entertainment" business, all you need is a pretty face, skinny body, and promiscuity and you have "made" it.

Sad, our society is crumbling all around us...

I don't get it either!

It seems vacuous is the new 'Va va voom'!
laugh.gif

Why do parents push their children so hard to perform in sports that the kids have no desire to play?

It is vicarious living. People want to be like these socialite divas, but they do not have the means, so they live vicariously through those who do have the means. Same reason people collect items from famous people. They may not be able to be famous, but they can have a part of that fame, through association.

Why do parents push their children so hard to perform in sports that the kids have no desire to play?

It is vicarious living. People want to be like these socialite divas, but they do not have the means, so they live vicariously through those who do have the means. Same reason people collect items from famous people. They may not be able to be famous, but they can have a part of that fame, through association.

long time no read

good post...

it is sad people try to live out their "dreams through other people...

I think we should strive to know God and glorify him

over riches

over happiness
over everything

I think it's a sort of social commentary.

At a museum recently in Canada, a guide was talking about the way some Canadians would imitate the fashions and customs of Queen Victoria and the royal court. Clothing and furnishings would follow a pattern set by Victoria.

I'm not sure that the celebrities of today are quite according to the same ethos, though.......:study

I think it's a sort of social commentary.

At a museum recently in Canada, a guide was talking about the way some Canadians would imitate the fashions and customs of Queen Victoria and the royal court. Clothing and furnishings would follow a pattern set by Victoria.

I'm not sure that the celebrities of today are quite according to the same ethos, though.......:study

:lol ...and they ain't princesses (or queens) either!

You got THAT right! :thumbsup

Alabaster:

I guess young members of royal families are almost in the situation of Christians in the world: there are so many influences which can creep in and affect their reputation and style.

Anyway, I find it hard to get interested in the sort of magazines that are sold at supermarket check-outs.

I agree with this. socialites are nothing to me but a nuisance. The royals too. prince william or whichever one it was that is engaged.. I saw a commercial trying to get Americans to buy a replica of the engagement ring because of its royal connotations. I just dont get it. Why should we po' folk peasants diminish the integrity of the royal's wedding band? We are not worthy. Yeah, socialites and those who obsess with them have issues.

I agree with this. socialites are nothing to me but a nuisance. The royals too. prince william or whichever one it was that is engaged.. I saw a commercial trying to get Americans to buy a replica of the engagement ring because of its royal connotations. I just dont get it. Why should we po' folk peasants diminish the integrity of the royal's wedding band? We are not worthy. Yeah, socialites and those who obsess with them have issues.

OMGoshhhhhhhh, how can you say that about Will and Kate, they are like so made for each other and like so super cute together, I like hope they live forever eternally.

Wate 4eva!!!!!!

OMGoshhhhhhhh, how can you say that about Will and Kate, they are like so made for each other and like so super cute together, I like hope they live forever eternally.

Wate 4eva!!!!!!

theLords:

Out of interest, are you in Europe or North America?

You guys just don't understand.

There is such a savory taste in your mouth when you watch and read the silliness and immorality that runs rampant in the world. I mean, I just love watching society's morals and brains go down the toilet day by day. It's exhilarating!

Cheyenne:

Certainly it is all a cautionary lesson.

I think it's good to concentrate on what is good and wholesome and profitable.

Paul, writing to the Philippians, says:

'Whatever is true, ..honest, ...just, ...pure, ...lovely, ...of good report, if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.'

(Philippians 4.8)

Like this, the believer can live in the peace of God, as Paul says further down the chapter.

The Kardashians and Paris Hilton are just a few fascinations I don't get. I don't know why every step they take is of such mass interest, and I don't want to waste my time finding out. Why are people so enthralled by these seemingly untalented personalities? I'm not locked in with much pop-culture, so it seems by the time I hear about these people, it's after an avalanche of hype has already taken hold.

Can anyone give a reason that these people capture such attention? I don't follow actors and musicians, but I guess I can understand why other people do. But these people like the Kardashians seem to be thrust out there for now reason at all. And people eat it up. :screwloose

I am proud to say I have never heard of the Kardasians, I don't watch those sorts of programs in the first place. However I do see your point it is pathetic how many people idolize mere mortals..

Nice to have something even Calvinists and Free Willers can agree on! :)

it's hard to avoid this nonsense, as it's on my Yahoo home page every day. :gah It's my observation that the whole celebrity fixation is a vicious circle. They put themselves out there, people get interested, they get inflated egos because all of the attention, and then they become more interesting to people, and it goes on and on. These celebs really think they're all that. I get bothered by the Oscars. These glorified icons are adored and put on a pedestal in everyday life, and then they have a night when they can be honored and given a big nod of approval. They just stand up there absorbing the glow of the limelight. Some might be thankful that they are acknowledged for excelling in their art, but most seem to be just holding out their arms saying, "Love me! Love me!" :screwloose

I'm not as bitter as I might sound about this. I ignore it for the most part.

I have a feeling that the overexposure to socialites is not unlike that of the far leftist media. --It gets way more attention than most 'real' people care about. I hypothesize that the small minority who actually care about the tabloids and socialites are just being "loud" and so it gives the appearance that most of us care when most really couldn't care less.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back